Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can you find horchata up there yet?

It’s easy to get in NYC and reasonably available in Ontario but upstate is a weird place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I wanted to play Terraria with my kids (6 and 4). I thought, "it's basically 2D Minecraft with more monsters and item progression, it must have a Creative mode, right?"

Nope, I gotta dick around with mods and loaders and poo poo to get a creative mode working. Looking at the official forums, there's a ton of backlash against an official Creative mode because "what if teh casuals get access to the weapons and armour I spent hundreds of hours grinding for?!?!?" as if there aren't like nineteen utilities for that game that let you give yourself whatever the gently caress items you want.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

:same: The older I get, the less patience I have for poo poo like that in games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can you find horchata up there yet?

It’s easy to get in NYC and reasonably available in Ontario but upstate is a weird place.

I basically never see it but we're also sadly lacking in proper bodegas around here. I don't ever see it in Mexican restaurants or anything though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When the handrail on the escalator is faster than the stairs so you have to keep readjusting your grip!!

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My biggest pet peeve is when someone starts humming and singing to what's on the radio in a public place. Do that on your own like everyone else, don't make our brains drop in and out of Eye of the Tiger rhythm rapid place for the entire length of the song. And it's worse when they start humming to an entire different song than what's on the radio.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even just finding good Mexican food that isn’t expensive or playing colonic Russian roulette (which is basically expected at a place called “Taco Shack” but still) can be a pain. There was a good place I used to go to but they closed over the summer because ICE deported a lot of their staff.

It's always tough. Even though there's a large Mexican population around me, the food varies so much. There's a taqueria near me that is about as "authentic" as you can get. No white people, they don't speak any English. The food is bland as hell. Dry and bland. The other "authentic" taqueria speaks even less than no English. Also, bland. The posole is OK though.

The best one near me is staffed by about 1/2 white MN dudes and is quite tasty. Not as good as home made, but not bad. The best place in town closed due to a variety of violations. It tasted just like someone's abuela made it. Spicy as hell and full of lard. I always hoped that they'd re-open but there was a good chance that none of them had green cards.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I love to bitch about a good work pet peeve. Don't give me the reason for why you cannot take my shift, and don't give a reason for why you need people to take yours. Jobs are contract based, otherwise, you don't owe anyone anything and they don't owe you anything either. I don't need a good reason to have my day free and it's uncool to guilt trip people into taking your shifts. Ask for the favour, accept the answer. If they don't need the money, they get the day off.

It's really simple. Time is a recourse. Which means that if I spend my time off playing video games or binge watching Netflix. Then that is just as valid as traveling or more socially accepted activites such as sports and such. All my time is worth something.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Donald Trump is a serial rapist who hung out with Jeffrey Epstein. Yet every time I see someone try to talk about the hypocrisy of evangelicals supporting him, they say “He was divorced twice!”

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In sci-fi when they call the Earth "Terra". When do we switch to calling it that? Why? What would cause that to happen? Do we all speak Latin in the future?

Calling the moon something else makes sense if people live on other planets with their own moons, because "moon" is a generic term for any natural satellite. But "Earth" is literally just the name of a single planet and a pretty uncommon word for dirt. No one's going to think you're talking about a different Earth, because there isn't one.

And calling humans "Terrans" is even dumber. There's already a word that means "human". It's "human". If it's used as a way to distinguish people of any species from the planet that is inexplicably known as "Terra", fine, but in many cases it's just used as a synonym for "human" - I guess because it sounds more spacey.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You don’t still call France Gaul, do you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

You don’t still call France Gaul, do you?
Greek people do.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When you're watching a movie or tv show with a group of people and one person likes to pause to explain things to another person or point out an actor that was in something else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Greek people do.

Your example would more be if we all decided to start referring to it as Gallia in mandaro-anglo-spaceo-hindi

more like oldwrong

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Tiggum posted:

In sci-fi when they call the Earth "Terra". When do we switch to calling it that? Why? What would cause that to happen? Do we all speak Latin in the future?

Calling the moon something else makes sense if people live on other planets with their own moons, because "moon" is a generic term for any natural satellite. But "Earth" is literally just the name of a single planet and a pretty uncommon word for dirt. No one's going to think you're talking about a different Earth, because there isn't one.

And calling humans "Terrans" is even dumber. There's already a word that means "human". It's "human". If it's used as a way to distinguish people of any species from the planet that is inexplicably known as "Terra", fine, but in many cases it's just used as a synonym for "human" - I guess because it sounds more spacey.

It's used to tell humans from different planets apart. Terran distinguishes between someone born on Earth and a Martian born on Mars. They're both still human, but one might not consider Earth their home planet even if their ancestors did, and especially so if both are independent planets. Lots of sci-fi doesn't make this distinction or makes it a short hand for human (looking at you Starcraft), but the principle is still solid.

Something that's been getting on my nerves lately is job hunting. Just the whole process, really: Submitting your resume two or three times in different web page fields after uploading a copy; taking bizarrely worded personality tests that you're never sure you answered satisfactorily; never getting any kind of response or contact even if you're not what they're looking for; the crazy levels of experience needed for jobs that dont require even half of it. Plus, job culture in the states is so heavily tied to self worth that you cant help but feel like you're being shamed when you tell people you're still looking. Ugh. It feels like I might as well just be tossing my resume into a black hole sometimes.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Jan 1, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bobjr posted:

When you're watching a movie or tv show with a group of people and one person likes to pause to explain things to another person or point out an actor that was in something else.

I feel like the pause bit is the worst part of that.

My wife is watching Call the Midwife at the moment and she'll probably murder me if I keep saying "Twirlywoos" quietly whenever Linda Bassett is on screen.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Chip McFuck posted:

It's used to tell humans from different planets apart. Terran distinguishes between someone born on Earth and a Martian born on Mars. They're both still human, but one might not consider Earth their home planet even if their ancestors did, and especially so if both are independent planets. Lots of sci-fi doesn't make this distinction or makes it a short hand for human (looking at you Starcraft), but the principle is still solid.

Something that's been getting on my nerves lately is job hunting. Just the whole process, really: Submitting your resume two or three times in different web page fields after uploading a copy; taking bizarrely worded personality tests that you're never sure you answered satisfactorily; never getting any kind of response or contact even if you're not what they're looking for; the crazy levels of experience needed for jobs that dont require even half of it. Plus, job culture in the states is so heavily tied to self worth that you cant help but feel like you're being shamed when you tell people you're still looking. Ugh. It feels like I might as well just be tossing my resume into a black hole sometimes.

IT help desk - Entry level

Required: 1 year of experience.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of my first jobs advertised that there were pick up shifts on the weekends for people who wanted or needed more hours. I thought it would be cool having the option to take on more work if I found the time as an already busy high school student. Guess what, they were just straight up lying and the shifts were mandatory. Not only that but the people assigned to them was decided by the boss and was not random or in cycles, so I ended up working two back to back 12 hour shifts every single Saturday and Sunday. I will never trust an employer's words again, managers are grifters and can all eat poo poo

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

IT help desk - Entry level

Required: 1 year of experience.

Similarly:

Required - 3 Year BsC/Other university degree

Salary - $16/hr.

loving really, you demand a degree and are gonna pay $2 above minimum wage? gently caress off. Meanwhile my current job starts at $23.50 and I could have rolled right out of high school for it (Yay unions)

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Spalec posted:

Similarly:

Required - 3 Year BsC/Other university degree

Salary - $16/hr.

loving really, you demand a degree and are gonna pay $2 above minimum wage? gently caress off. Meanwhile my current job starts at $23.50 and I could have rolled right out of high school for it (Yay unions)

Teaching job at a local state college:

Requires masters degree or PhD, pays $1,500 a term per class. Term lasts 8 weeks, not including prep time or finals/grading. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One time I applied for a job working in IT only to receive an email back saying they were interested but that I'd have to work for them for 6 months full time unpaid as an intern before they'd consider giving me the position. I asked if getting the position was guaranteed if I agreed to the internship and unsurprisingly they did not email back. Employers are grifters gently caress all of them

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

CJacobs posted:

One time I applied for a job working in IT only to receive an email back saying they were interested but that I'd have to work for them for 6 months full time unpaid as an intern before they'd consider giving me the position. I asked if getting the position was guaranteed if I agreed to the internship and unsurprisingly they did not email back. Employers are grifters gently caress all of them

Amen. gently caress 'em

My industry has fairly well defined qualifications and responsibilities for different roles, so it's absolutely hilarious when you come across a job posting clearly written by HR. My favorites are the ones that require 8 - 10 years experience with ArcGIS Pro, a product that was released in a nigh-unusable beta in late 2015.

My pet peeve today is how many great diners can't be arsed to make decent hashbrowns. A wet mushy mat of potatoes is not hashbrowns! If you're not going to go through the effort of getting the moisture out before frying either buy frozen hashbrown shreds or cube the potatoes and roast them. My local place makes an authentic hollandaise sauce but I have to substitute french fries for the side every single time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chip McFuck posted:

I love that we're at a point in society where fuckin Walmart has a 30-minute questionnaire for applicants.

Half of it is HR sorcery where your application is autorejected if you don't have the correct level of enthusiasm for working in a team and half of it is:

YOU SEE A COWORKER STEALING. DO YOU

tell your manager
join in
burn down the store
do nothing

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I also love the applications with myers briggs

like sorry the magic astrology test says you're a hufflepuff and this is quite strictly a griffin-claw hybrid team of corporate accountants

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

YOU SEE A COWORKER STEALING. DO YOU

tell your manager
join in
burn down the store
do nothing

I've applied at places that will fail you if you pick all of the obviously correct answers. "LOL, you're just telling me what I want to hear." No poo poo, rear end in a top hat. Why did you ask, then?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i hope everyone involved in developing and implementing the 50-question moral ouija board personality test that disappears your entire existence and hides you from the hiring managers if you don't answer the way they want all get stomach cancer tbqfh

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My interview peeve is "brain teasers". Especially if they say "it doesn't matter if you don't know how to answer it, just talk me through your thought process". My thought process is first I'd google the relevant equations and go from there but you didn't let me use anything but pen and paper so :shrug: Here's a probability brain buster for them: go pick a random selection of your own employees off the floor and ask them this question with the same restriction. What are the odds anyone except people super recently hired and still has the practice fresh in their head can answer it? gently caress all. That's not what the job is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really dislike trick questions where you have to think about what the people reading your answer would WANT you to say. The classic IT one asks what you should do if you can't resolve a coding problem during crunch time. It's essentially a 50/50 gamble whether the 'correct' answer is "work harder/take work home with you/work with others" or "copy existing code from the internet". It all depends on whether your would-be manager is one of those 'work smarter not harder' types who likes to tap their forehead and nod knowingly (read: smugly) at you whenever they impart advice on thinking outside the box.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My interview peeve is "brain teasers". Especially if they say "it doesn't matter if you don't know how to answer it, just talk me through your thought process". My thought process is first I'd google the relevant equations and go from there but you didn't let me use anything but pen and paper so :shrug: Here's a probability brain buster for them: go pick a random selection of your own employees off the floor and ask them this question with the same restriction. What are the odds anyone except people super recently hired and still has the practice fresh in their head can answer it? gently caress all. That's not what the job is.

"next year you will have to write in cursive and you won't have a calculator"

NO MS. GILBERT

NO

THAT WILL NEVER, EVER HAPPEN.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And it benefits me, because being able to write neatly in cursive went from being an everyday person to being nearly calligraphy. I can make money by writing things.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I got detention because of my handwriting in middleschool, cursive is just beyond me. When I sign something, you can kind of make out the first letter of my first/last but everything else I just wildly wiggle my wrist and add a random dot above roughly where the i should be and call it a day. It always makes me think those handwriting experts are just a bunch of frauds because I honestly can't imagine having consistent handwriting from signature to signature let alone decade to decade. I knew someone who practiced her signature over and over back in highschool and it seemed like the most bizarre waste of time. Who cares?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I got detention because of my handwriting in middleschool, cursive is just beyond me. When I sign something, you can kind of make out the first letter of my first/last but everything else I just wildly wiggle my wrist and add a random dot above roughly where the i should be and call it a day. It always makes me think those handwriting experts are just a bunch of frauds because I honestly can't imagine having consistent handwriting from signature to signature let alone decade to decade. I knew someone who practiced her signature over and over back in highschool and it seemed like the most bizarre waste of time. Who cares?

That person practicing a signature was absolutely me. I actually cultivated a "quick signature look" like the one you do, otherwise I would get obsessive about exactly how I wrote it and filling out paperwork would take forever. But my highschool notebooks were chock full of cursivey-written poo poo. Not notes, naturally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I sign things with a crappy imitation of JRR Tolkien's weird cthulu sigil of his initials, but mine, that I developed in high school. Other than that I can produce russian cyrillic cursive far better than the cursive I learned in school.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My cursive is decently readable, but I've never been able to do it faster than regular printing because we were all forced to learn to write the letters in a very specific way with lots of flowery poo poo and pointless loops.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just sign everything as Mojo Nixon in big groovy block letters.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

InediblePenguin posted:

i hope everyone involved in developing and implementing the 50-question moral ouija board personality test that disappears your entire existence and hides you from the hiring managers if you don't answer the way they want all get stomach cancer tbqfh

I read a depressing article about this. A woman was interviewing people and saw a really strong candidate, interviewed her and then noticed she was missing from the short list at the end. When she inquired to HR about the candidate the HR reps said she scored poorly on some "corporate cultural fit" test. The Woman then did the test herself and failed, then made her staff do it and they all failed.

Many HR "tests" are pure bull poo poo. Seemingly it's all about narrowing down the field of candidates, and not much else.

Contemporary corporate culture is pure poison and I have no idea how it continues to shamble on without collapsing under its own weight of ineptitude.

My peeve? The 40 hour work week. I can do my job in less time than 40 hours (most weeks) and could do much of it from home, but here I am at my desk 8 hours a day, 5 days a week because that the way business is done.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

My peeve? The 40 hour work week. I can do my job in less time than 40 hours (most weeks) and could do much of it from home, but here I am at my desk 8 hours a day, 5 days a week because that the way business is done.

:same:

But I'll throw in strict schedules as well. I'm an unimportant office drone, give me a core set of hours, and if I want to come in at 6 and leave at 3:30 I'll do that. If I need to go to the doctor, let me work a 6 hour day and make up the other two during different days of the week. Also let me pick my time and length of lunch, I don't need an hour, every day at noon. I like to eat at 11:00, and only need 30 minutes.

Especially egregious to me is that I start at 7:30, and lunch is required at noon. If I want to take the afternoon off, I have the choice of spending 4 hours and leaving at 11:30 am, or 3 hours and leaving at 1:30. That one hour means a difference of two hours. Maybe I don't need to be somewhere until 2:30, but I'm going to waste an hour of PTO every time leaving at 11:30 because, I also would rather not eat lunch and then have to work another 30 minutes before I can GTFO.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

:smug: I guess you guys should work for better companies. We've been complaining for years that our health plan doesn't cover vision or dental, and after months of company wide emails hinting at "new, exciting benefits for 2020!!!" we got 10% off Hertz rental cars and waived signup fees at Planet Fitness.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
The guy with the bow is called Bow and the cat lady is called Catra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My peeve is the 84 hour work week. I could survive on the wages from 20 hours a week because I have no family to support and the cost of living here is quite low, but this state has no labor laws so 12x7 and 16x7 jobs are the only thing that exist. All or nothing.