Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I legitimately would go see this movie again. I get why people hate it, but it's just so weird and unique that I'm already planning on buying the blu-ray. It's stayed in my brain a lot more than any other movie I saw this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
None of the music did much for me on watch, but the songs stuck in my head nonetheless and now I'm listening to the original cast recording and kind of digging it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

None of the music did much for me on watch, but the songs stuck in my head nonetheless and now I'm listening to the original cast recording and kind of digging it.

That's what happens. That's how you catch it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Little Death posted:

That's one thing that sort of sticks out. Cats is very, very gay. Rum Tum Tugger is incredibly gay. The show is incredibly campy and feels like watching a drag show. The movie... does not feel like that. I'm still glad we got what we got, because it's amazing, but in my brain I'm trying to figure out who thought that you could play something like cats "straight" (in multiple senses of the word) and have it work. Like Jennyanydots does unzip a coat onstage, but it's an obvious prop that looks like a fatsuit, so that afterwards she can do dance numbers after being presented as a "Gumbi cat". Who watches that and thinks "so jennyanydots has the power to unzip her skin, of course!". Unless you were trying to make a nightmare movie.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Someone told me that this movie is the culmination of cis het white men trying to appropriate camp for their own profit, and failing in the only way cis get white men can

What was the last film that actually worked as camp?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Isn’t Tom Hooper gay?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sean10mm posted:

If going by the idea that one of the main aspects of camp is a total lack of self-awareness, I peg it at the amazing Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

Can't be any earlier than The Room.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I like the movie's version of Mungojerrie and Rumbleteazer better than the broadway show's. The former is smoother and jazzier, while the latter has all the rhythm of Elaine Benes.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Saw it in a pretty small theatre, one thing that’s annoying is now that it’s a notable disaster the theatre was full of high people trying too hard to make it funnier than it was.

I don’t think this movie was interesting enough, the pacing is just brutal and the way the camera just locks on faces for like half the runtime is insane. Like, fuckin Skimbleshanks gets an imaginative number that takes advantage of the medium, but Ian MacKellan and Jennifer Hudson just stand there? If you weren’t going to bother using cinematography to your advantage then why make the movie?

What kind of bugs me is that people seem to be expecting this to be a “WHY MAKE THIS?!??” kind of movie but for the most part it’s a “why bother making this” kind of movie, imo. It’s a shame because there’s actually some fun bits in here but the unevenness of everything really undercuts it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Skimbleshanks! The railway cat!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pick posted:

Skimbleshanks! The railway cat!

The cat of the railway train!?!?!?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Wait, i thought it was shimbleshanks

The railway cat
Cat of the railway train

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
hey pick did i ever mention whittaker's spirit sister wilson? she was named after wilson pickett because she's black, but turned out to be female. she was a rescue kitten from a feral litter on a farm in deep rural new zealand, and even though dad's fundamentally against the concept of pet shops, he knew you couldn't have just one cat so bought her a friend from a pet shop (that was whittaker). anyway, wilson pickett is now 15 years old. she has remained entirely feral her entirely life, she cannot be tamed, none may pet or approach or even glance at her except dad and his life partner. you may have heard that australia is on fire, and in fact dad's exact region is on fire and he is currently standing out in pitch-black daylight with a hose waiting for the embers, but he has informed me that wilson is completely at ease with the situation and is safely contained ready to be evacuated. why am i sharing this here? why this forum? why this thread? only a few people could ever understand

she's ready.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
the guitar will also be evacuated

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thank You

my father still commonly speaks of the ill-tempered Spartacus and he mentions her about every single time I see him. misses his little rear end in a top hat cat .

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This won’t be a midnight movie. It doesn’t have the irony appeal that the room has. It’s a horrifying non Euclidean mess. That’s not something to drink half a plastic handle of Popov and clap like a seal and say memes at

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Important questions

[img] https://ibb.co/FVYbChc[/img]

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I saw the movie without having seen the musical, and I'm conflicted because there are some scenes and music that I really like. Skimbleshanks' number is particularly strong, as well as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees' bit (but I can understand if people don't like how much his character is changed from the musical itself).

The movie overall is a shitshow. It's an uncomfortable mix of horniness and nightmarish special effects. It also has Taylor Swift singing in an English accent. Lol.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Skimbleshanks's tune does bang

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I also didn't know that Beautiful Ghosts was an ALW-Taylor Swift collab. It's hauntingly pretty, and Hayward nails it in the movie.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

weekly font posted:

This won’t be a midnight movie. It doesn’t have the irony appeal that the room has. It’s a horrifying non Euclidean mess. That’s not something to drink half a plastic handle of Popov and clap like a seal and say memes at

I think it will. It would be such a blast with drunk and high people wearing costumes and singing along like Rocky Horror

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Delthalaz posted:

I think it will. It would be such a blast with drunk and high people wearing costumes and singing along like Rocky Horror

Would totally get loaded and sing along to Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, this movie is responsible for Beautiful Ghosts, and I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObUKQNHNrA

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
The stars are a little bit brighter, and the night a little bit darker after having seen Cats.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I wish I could find one word to describe how bad this movie is but also how much I loved it. I'm enchanted at how it is a failure on every possible level but also a delightful assault.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gumball Gumption posted:

I wish I could find one word to describe how bad this movie is but also how much I loved it. I'm enchanted at how it is a failure on every possible level but also a delightful assault.

:same:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Schadenfreude

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

I also didn't know that Beautiful Ghosts was an ALW-Taylor Swift collab. It's hauntingly pretty, and Hayward nails it in the movie.

just came from a packed New Years Day screening where the audience ad-libbed 'cats' in place of 'ghosts' which is to say movie still owns in 2020

most fun since fury road or maybe grindhouse this film is a precious gem

lol that the mice were apparently children ??

maybe could use more ian mckellen lapping gutter water but otherwise perfect 🐈

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 2, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Man Musk posted:

just came from a packed New Years Day screening where the audience ad-libbed 'cats' in place of 'ghosts' which is to say movie still owns in 2020

most fun since fury road or maybe grindhouse this film is a precious gem

lol that the mice were apparently children ??

maybe could use more ian mckellen lapping gutter water but otherwise perfect 🐈

:agreed:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I didn't know that they refused to use motion capture for the film so the poor animators have to paint over the actors wearing bodysuits lmao

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why were the mice so small?

WHY WERE THE MICE SO SMALL????

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Why were the mice so small?

WHY WERE THE MICE SO SMALL????

Because they’re played by children, duh

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Honestly not really sure what to make of this. I actually..don't think it's weird enough to hit the cult / midnight movie status? But it's also still pretty goddamn strange - there's a weird nightmare logic to it and the cat-people are way into the uncanny valley. I thought it was overall ok for what it is, though to be fair I was a theater kid for a while so I'm probably numb to some of it. My biggest gripe is that a solid half of the songs are just middling to bad.

I really, really want to read about how this movie got made. It's hard to believe there is enough cocaine in the world to talk a room of executives into greenlighting a $95 million live action Cats adaptation set to open against Star Wars without it involving some kind of circuitous money laundering scheme, but I'm glad someone managed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I didn't know that they refused to use motion capture for the film so the poor animators have to paint over the actors wearing bodysuits lmao

That explains why they look like they're wearing bodysuits for half of the movie. I mean, I know that they were using bodysuits, but it's blatantly obvious in some of the shots. It makes some of the overly fuzzy cats (Old Deuteronomy and Jennyanydots) clash with some of the background/supporting cats.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just saw it and got irrationally angry at the Wasteland joke. Your already loving up T.S. Elliot, no need to rub it in.

But this is it. This is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whisker.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I felt compelled to record a podcast mini-episode about this film
https://soundcloud.com/hvulgaris/emergency-cats-episode

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

From what someone on Reddit said, it's not that they refused, but that all the mocap data they got for various reasons wasn't able to be translated into anything good, so they had to go the route they did

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I really, really want to read about how this movie got made. It's hard to believe there is enough cocaine in the world to talk a room of executives into greenlighting a $95 million live action Cats adaptation set to open against Star Wars without it involving some kind of circuitous money laundering scheme, but I'm glad someone managed.

I think the extent of their thinking was:

1. Cats has made almost $3 billion on stage
2. The Les Mis movie got 8 Academy nominations while still turning a tidy profit.
3. Get the guy who did Les Mis to adapt a musical that's even more popular.

They thought that this would be a serious Oscars contender. Its why the CGI was so rushed, and why they're competing with Christmas Disney movies. At some point they were talked into thinking that they could replicate the success of Chicago.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

should have had a stinger where skimbleshanks meets one of the trains from starlight express as a teaser for the andrew lloyd webber cinematic universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think it's the effect that the original play was panned in the same way, everyone said it was stupid and confusing and nonsense and the costumes were creepy and off putting. Cats the musical was a huge punchline for years.

I think that let the creators of this just say "ah, they said the same thing about the play" every time anyone complained and never think past that Without really understanding why the play was mocked but a huge success while this is just a huge failure and mocked.