Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crocoswine posted:

I guess it could apply to both, but I mostly meant when it was made into a fyad-lite that ended up being way way worse than fyad ever was, at least for a while. I think it happened on halloween night? It was REALLY bad.

I guess after the shutdown it would be 3.0? Or possibly Nu-GBS.

It was Halloween 2013. I wasn’t happy about it, GBS was one of my favorite ways to kill time and when crazy poo poo like the Boston bombing would happen I was F5ing the thread like nuts. There were enough people on SA back then there would always be a few goons who would be adjacent to whatever was happening when poo poo hit the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

I’ve never left the forums. I will never leave the forums or any of you. I’ve always been here. I’ll always be here.

Ah oldpainless. Ah humanity.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oldpainless posted:

I’ve never left the forums. I will never leave the forums or any of you. I’ve always been here. I’ll always be here.
But... but oldpainless... DIED in the great purge of 05.
:ghost:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
more like oldlifeless

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

But... but oldpainless... DIED in the great purge of 05.
:ghost:

oldbodyless

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Pick posted:

I came to SA in frustration after posting on a sci-fi forum whose owner/mod thought it should be legal to rape any woman on welfare, and god drat SA was a breath of fresh air. But that was my standard in 2009, I don't know why anyone else started posting here around then if that's not about where their benchmark was pegged.
i came from tvtropes lol

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

razorrozar posted:

more like oldlifeless
:yayclod:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fauna posted:

i came from tvtropes lol

haha nooooooooooooooo

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

razorrozar posted:

more like oldlifeless

oldghostless

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sauna, mämmi, asekätkentä, benis, prööööhh, benis, benis, hyllymbvyör, and... what else?

Thanks to Control, I now know the word perkele.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
remember the epic saga of LAMBLORD itt

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

PuddingKnight posted:

Someone has stolen your trees.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

PuddingKnight posted:

You can't really call yourself a goon if you weren't here for LAMBLORD

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Thanks to Control, I now know the word perkele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

xcheopis posted:

You can't really call yourself a goon if you weren't here for LAMBLORD

Idk this lore :shrug:

I was here during that Halloween gbs rules lifting shitshow. Not as a mod though. It would’ve been fun though.

E just throwing 6 left and right

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was Halloween 2013. I wasn’t happy about it, GBS was one of my favorite ways to kill time and when crazy poo poo like the Boston bombing would happen I was F5ing the thread like nuts. There were enough people on SA back then there would always be a few goons who would be adjacent to whatever was happening when poo poo hit the fan.

I uh, I don't think anyone that wasn't an absolute ghoul was happy with it. In retrospect I think 1.0 kind of blew rear end, but it was still better than the period of time where you'd get threads that were actually literally just the n-word over and over and over.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crocoswine posted:

I uh, I don't think anyone that wasn't an absolute ghoul was happy with it. In retrospect I think 1.0 kind of blew rear end, but it was still better than the period of time where you'd get threads that were actually literally just the n-word over and over and over.

I remember a lot of people using “cuck” constantly. It was like a kid who had just learned about swearing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
2.0 sucked butts, and I valiantly posted animal threads through it all

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

I was here during that Halloween gbs rules lifting shitshow. Not as a mod though. It would’ve been fun though.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

we are all

HAMPRINCES of the Universe

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKYD-cDd_Gs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1yufd_-z4

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

GBS 2.0 was such an utter shitshow, and really showed just how much heavy lifting the moderation does here.

I don't recall GBS 1.0 being all that bad. I know some rules were a bit heavy handed, but it was nice being able to have somewhere that you could read about current events as they happened, or just have a comedy thread.
Granted, it did have a lot of megathreads back then, and megathreads are almost always poo poo.

But 2.0 was such a swing in the wrong direction, I don't know how anyone could have enjoyed it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

There was nothing to probate because there were no rules being broken. It was like a more racist wild west.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I always thought banning MSpaint threads was a mistake myself. We just never really got any cool content/adventure threads after that was put in, stuff like Dropsy or Microbe or Red/Yellow/Blue. I'm still not sure if the ban was ever technically lifted.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I Said No posted:

I always thought banning MSpaint threads was a mistake myself. We just never really got any cool content/adventure threads after that was put in, stuff like Dropsy or Microbe or Red/Yellow/Blue. I'm still not sure if the ban was ever technically lifted.

Wait, they'äre banned? What a heck?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait, they'äre banned? What a heck?

lamo what is this thing!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like MSPaint threads a lot. I was always shocked by how good some goons are at drawing using that app. I also love making photoshops, but haven't had a lot of time to really do any lately.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

lamo what is this thing!

It's right next to the ' key, sorry.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

lamo what is this thing!

pïck jüst bëcäüsë yöür këyböärd döësn't dö dïäcrïtïcs döësn't mëän thëy dön't ëxïst

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ExplodingSims posted:

I don't recall GBS 1.0 being all that bad. I know some rules were a bit heavy handed, but it was nice being able to have somewhere that you could read about current events as they happened, or just have a comedy thread.
Granted, it did have a lot of megathreads back then, and megathreads are almost always poo poo.

People characterize GBS 1.0 as being some kind of mad SJW catlady hellhole at the end, but really the issue was people getting way too worked up over random news articles, oversharing weird goony habits, or self-flagellating over poo poo. None of this every fully died off, but instead it retreated into other subforums like here in PYF, albeit not quiet as intense and with a bit more relaxed humor to it. It was all stuff that was perfectly easy to curtail without going enacting no-rulez-ironic-detachment-lol posting, which also ended up leaking into other forums from GBS 2.0 and was equally as bad at making threads unreadable, but in different ways.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I Said No posted:

MSPain happened for a reason. Good mspaint threads were allowed to survive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Screw people who whine about the "catlady" days, it's always taken chutzpah to post here as a woman. Even though the very best poster* is a woman :colbert:

* it's avashalom

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
the whole crazy cat lady stereotype is misogynist af so i would be more than happy to let it die

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah I have like 5 cats and I'm a guy.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

razorrozar posted:

the whole crazy cat lady stereotype is misogynist af so i would be more than happy to let it die

But I've worked so hard to attain that very goal! Will all my effort be for naught?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nuns with Guns posted:

People characterize GBS 1.0 as being some kind of mad SJW catlady hellhole at the end, but really the issue was people getting way too worked up over random news articles, oversharing weird goony habits, or self-flagellating over poo poo. None of this every fully died off, but instead it retreated into other subforums like here in PYF, albeit not quiet as intense and with a bit more relaxed humor to it. It was all stuff that was perfectly easy to curtail without going enacting no-rulez-ironic-detachment-lol posting, which also ended up leaking into other forums from GBS 2.0 and was equally as bad at making threads unreadable, but in different ways.

For me the peak GBS 1.0 was a thread about the working conditions of a northern Ohio amusement park that went on for pages and pages. I tried to bring my own personal experience working there to the thread but I got run out because I was clearly brainwashed by my corporate masters.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have one cat and he is very nice. He's not that exciting but he sure is nice. Stout ginger man.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

GBS 1.0 existed largely in a pre-reddit/tumblr/facebook/twitter space where heavy moderation was necessary. There was a much bigger general userbase and general rhythm and flow where emptyquotes, derails, spam posting, and all that were legitimate concerns. GBS 2.0 was a response to management recognizing 5 years too late that the times had indeed a-changed and if they wanted to keep users they couldn't keep punishing shitposts and white noise. It was necessary, although like most things SA went about it in a bizarrely melodramatic way.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I Said No posted:

Lol this is not a rule at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol this is not a rule at all