Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The lakebed was the last thing I did because it kept confusing me and the timing there is even more hectic.

Also, what platform are you playing on? Maybe you need to reinstall the game or you're having other issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

One to double check that's easy to miss on the rumor diagram: Have you filled out all three sub-rumors of the Probe Cannon, or are one or more of them still '?'s?

The three being Control Module, Launch Module, and Probe Tracking Module. Yep, have all those. This is how my rumor map looks right now:

The only question mark is the Lakebed Cave.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Then go down there

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, and don’t delay!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Cojawfee posted:

The lakebed was the last thing I did because it kept confusing me and the timing there is even more hectic.

Also, what platform are you playing on? Maybe you need to reinstall the game or you're having other issues.

PC, but it didn't trash when I tried again :toot:

The lakebed honestly made me more anxious than anything else so far in the game. I don't like dark places! Especially with the threat of being buried in the rising sand.

So regarding the place I was in for the aforementioned crash: So I have to take this core, which will disable the time/memory loop shenanigans, and take it to the vessel I guess? I went and found escape pod 3, and got to the vessel right as everything blew up :( Take two!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

PC, but it didn't trash when I tried again :toot:

The lakebed honestly made me more anxious than anything else so far in the game. I don't like dark places! Especially with the threat of being buried in the rising sand.

So regarding the place I was in for the aforementioned crash: So I have to take this core, which will disable the time/memory loop shenanigans, and take it to the vessel I guess? I went and found escape pod 3, and got to the vessel right as everything blew up :( Take two!

take it to the vessel, plug it into the computer (to power everything on), and then use the nomai's infuriating rolly-ball interface to plug in the coordinates you found at the space probe and power up the ship's teleporter

seriously, guys, you invented emissions-free space travel and quantum-tunneling data entry but a loving button was too much for your weird space-goat brains?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
At least now you don't have to go to Pod 3 to get to the Vessel, since it should be markable in the computer!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Ablative posted:

At least now you don't have to go to Pod 3 to get to the Vessel, since it should be markable in the computer!

The first time, I didn't even have time to get out of my ship, so it didn't update my ship's log :negative:

I made it back, though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

take it to the vessel, plug it into the computer (to power everything on), and then use the nomai's infuriating rolly-ball interface to plug in the coordinates you found at the space probe and power up the ship's teleporter

seriously, guys, you invented emissions-free space travel and quantum-tunneling data entry but a loving button was too much for your weird space-goat brains?

I'm on these steps right now! I feel like I would have a way easier time with this if I didn't have to spend most of my time slowly drifting by anglerfish. By the time I get to the vessel and am trying to input the symbols, time's up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm on these steps right now! I feel like I would have a way easier time with this if I didn't have to spend most of my time slowly drifting by anglerfish. By the time I get to the vessel and am trying to input the symbols, time's up.

built up a good head speed going into the Anglerfish Bad Place first, your momentum will carry you through

you also don't have to worry too much about bumping into one of them, if you don't fire your thrusters then they're so oblivious to your presence that you could almost drift between their teeth without them noticing

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If I try that I end up going BACKWARDS eventually, and I wind up so close to an anglerfish that I can't correct myself. I can't imagine how much more painful this was for people before the update that let's you skip time so you had to sit on the Ash Twin for five minutes as the tower slowly surfaces.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

:unsmith:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Game good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

Game good.

this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If I try that I end up going BACKWARDS eventually, and I wind up so close to an anglerfish that I can't correct myself. I can't imagine how much more painful this was for people before the update that let's you skip time so you had to sit on the Ash Twin for five minutes as the tower slowly surfaces.

Do you have a gamepad? You should be able to use minimal thrust, one bar on the HUD thingie, without the fish noticing you unless you're right on top of one. Do it for a few seconds at the start to build up speed and you can quickly float past them to the point where it's safe to make minor course corrections or kick in a little more speed (again, with 1 bar of thrust). I don't know how to do this with KB/M but an analog stick makes it easy.

Or, as a different last resort, get out of the ship and fly over with your suit's jetpack, it's quieter.

Zack Ater posted:

Game good.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 30, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

Game good.

Hell yeah

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

built up a good head speed going into the Anglerfish Bad Place first, your momentum will carry you through

you also don't have to worry too much about bumping into one of them, if you don't fire your thrusters then they're so oblivious to your presence that you could almost drift between their teeth without them noticing

I'm pretty sure that the game resets your velocity when you go through a portal to put you on a path that just misses a fish, so your speed on entry doesn't really affect anything.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Zandar posted:

I'm pretty sure that the game resets your velocity when you go through a portal to put you on a path that just misses a fish, so your speed on entry doesn't really affect anything.

This is correct. I've taken the time to really build up speed and it slowed me way down every time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I also just beat the game. Definitely really good. To be honest, the final run was super frustrating for me, and it did ruin things a bit. It's the worst part of the game, but not only is it a part you have to do but also the LAST thing you do so it's one of the sequences most vivid in your mind.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it possible to die after you put the Macguffin in the Plot Device? When the game goes all trippy like 2001?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it possible to die after you put the Macguffin in the Plot Device? When the game goes all trippy like 2001?

It is not possible to die after reaching the Eye of the Universe. (other than that person upthread who may have found a new bug)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I played this game over the course of about 3-4 months, forcing myself to only play once or twice every week and really try to untangle the mystery organically. It was difficult at times, but once I finally remembered to use my signalscope for exploration it led me to several big bombshell discoveries, and from that point on I couldn't put the game down until I had beat it. Also quite proud to say I never had to look up a solution, but I will definitely admit to lucking into several solutions without really realizing how difficult they could have been at first, like entering the Ash Twin Project, and learning about quantum travel on Ember Twin. Figured both of those out purely by accident but hey, I'll take it!

And like many others in this thread, I adored both the game and the ending. Definitely my GOTY 2019.

I wanted to share a particularly funny death I got. On my way to place #1, I collided with a moon or something and damaged most of my ship's systems. Upon landing and waiting a bit, I attempted to fix them all but a few still alluded me because I couldn't figure out where to stand to repair them. No worries, I figured, as long as I can still fly it okay we should be good! So I do Thing #1 and head to Place #2 ASAP. Once I clear the current planet's gravity, I set an autopilot course for my destination. As I had done several times before, I planned to leave my seat after setting autopilot, go to my computer to set a waypoint, and sit back down. Usually I can time it out perfectly so that I've arrived at my destination right when I get back into the cockpit seat.

Well, unfortunately for me, one of the systems that had broken was my artificial gravity. As soon as I unbuckled from my seat, I immediately flew into the back wall of the ship, taking massive damage. I was pinned by G's against the back wall, and moving my joystick and thrusters just allowed me to look around and flail helplessly. Well, you can probably guess what happened next. About halfway to my destination, the reverse thrusters kick in, I'm slammed into the cockpit glass, and I'm dead. Even better than that, since I was on my way to Dark Bramble with the warp core, I got the Dark Souls "YOU ARE DEAD" ending. I couldn't stop laughing until well into my next attempt after that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

timp posted:

Definitely my GOTY 2019.

I just finished in time for the decade and same, but also GOTD, and maybe even GOAT for me personally

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I spent most of the game convinced it would be my GOTY, but then the end happened and now it's definitely my Game of the Decade.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

welp i'm at the home stretch but keep crashing all of a sudden so guess this ain't getting finished :v: tbf the final idiotic obstacle course already soured me on it big time

decent game but one that seems dedicated to doubling-down on the worst parts of it(namely the locations that are like "hope you were here at this exact time or get hosed" and of course the two planets that do that are the most important ones)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Waiting at campfires makes it a bit easier, but frankly I think that despite the game being real good as is, it could only have been improved with the addition of 1) a timer in your spaceship so you can know the precise time when certain things happen, 2) meditation being easier to unlock (I went all game without it), and 3) being able to meditate until a specific point in time. It would take a lot of the pointless waiting out of the equation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Once you find out in-game how long the loop lasts, it should show the current time when resting instead of the number of minutes you're resting.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY0mBXKKT0

The noclip doc on outer wilds just dropped!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Samopsa posted:

this rules, thanks

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Also a v. good video about Outer Wilds, if you're into that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-yTZFi-_eY

It's very spoilery, but manages to encapsulate the whole intended experience very well

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Samopsa posted:

They mention that the land segments on Brittle Hollow all have HP and take damage from the meteors that hit the planet rather than being just scripted events. I wonder if it’d be possible to, like, use your ship to collide with a meteor and stop it from hitting the planet?

Doc’s great btw, everyone should watch!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished the game, loved it.

Is there a reason the things that were happening at the end of the Nomai civilization seemed to be repeating for the Hearthians? Specifically the return of the Interloper, I felt a little lost as to how that tied in.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Waiting at campfires makes it a bit easier, but frankly I think that despite the game being real good as is, it could only have been improved with the addition of 1) a timer in your spaceship so you can know the precise time when certain things happen, 2) meditation being easier to unlock (I went all game without it), and 3) being able to meditate until a specific point in time. It would take a lot of the pointless waiting out of the equation.

I wouldn't mind 2 and 3 but I like that there's no literal timer to look at. Instead you have to use events in the world as a gauge (or look at the Hourglass Twins :P)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished the game, loved it.

Is there a reason the things that were happening at the end of the Nomai civilization seemed to be repeating for the Hearthians? Specifically the return of the Interloper, I felt a little lost as to how that tied in.
i dont think the interloper ever left. Its just been in a funky orbit around the sun since it blew up

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yes. It's a comet. Comets orbit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

i dont think the interloper ever left. Its just been in a funky orbit around the sun since it blew up

Ah I guess I thought it had more significance than that...am I crazy or doesn't it crash into the sun at some point? I guess that may be related to the sun dying?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Ah I guess I thought it had more significance than that...am I crazy or doesn't it crash into the sun at some point? I guess that may be related to the sun dying?

The sun crashes into it. The sun is exploding because the universe got too old.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

There's no connection, really. It first showed up during the Nomai's time, the core burst and killed them all, and now it's just been orbiting around harmlessly ever since. It crashes into the sun because the sun is expanding because it was already dying.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
In the old alpha, the Interloper would crash into Dark Bramble in its last orbit just before the sun went. It was a lot easier to get inside of the comet as well, so you could ride it straight into oblivion and die to a giant thorn crushing you against the inner surface of the comet at 800kph. Dark Bramble supposedly being the remains of a planet that exploded with the bramble seeds spreading around the solar system, as well as the bits of bramble and ice found on some planets, is a little more interesting when you consider that former relationship between the two planetoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Samopsa posted:

Thank you, been waiting for this!