Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Crusader posted:

hoping part two resolves some of the outstanding mysteries elegantly, but for now I'm glad the messy archrival who lives for drama is back

Yes, either the interesting but unexplored stuff introduced early in the episode will get paid off, or this is another case of Chibnall assembling a bunch of evocative and interesting ideas and then not doing anything with them.

I did like Agent Yaz continuing her “think like the Doctor” bit gestured in the past, and I suspect if we’d gotten more background on our new characters people would be complaining about Chibnall telling instead of showing. Daniel Barton gets sketched in but seems better established than the Naismiths were in The End of Time; the possibly new aliens seem evocative and I found myself thinking the Vardans could have done with this kind of treatment. If part two sticks the landing this could be a good sign. Those who like Who when it is invading the tropes of various genres should be liking this. The nonsense car chase is, in my opinion, no more objectionable than the lift from Oscar Wilde over the painting in a carboot in the Seeds of Doom.

Jodie seems even better than last year. I’m looking forward to seeing how she behaves toward the Master in the next episode.

happyhippy posted:

Loved how they are all out of the porch drinking iced tea while two bodies rot in the sun nearby.

Pretty sure there were no bodies left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
When Sacha Dhawan started getting really excited and hopping around waving his hands, it really was like "What if 2nd Doctor, but evil".

I loved it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HardKase posted:

but at least there isn't a Dr companion romantic subplot.

https://i.imgur.com/Ck5TUNm.mp4

Jodie does amazing facial expressions :allears:

Edit: Does anybody know anything about what the gently caress imgur does to mp4s or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying to put together gifs but decided to just extract mp4s instead (way, way faster than making gifs the old-fashioned way) and upload them. But no matter what resolution I upload at imgur seems to automatically resize them to 960x536 and they look like poo poo. I've tried looking it up but every search I do just gives me various,"Now you can upload mp4s!" announcements.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 2, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spyfall part 1 gifs (click to view)

The Master being giddy is fantastic, but I just wanna draw attention to this moment when he gets rumbled:

I love that brief second where you can see him thinking, trying to figure out a way to keep the cover going jussssst a little bit longer before deciding,"gently caress it!" and reveling in not having to pretend anymore. It also puts his original appearance in the episode in a new context, that little smile he makes when the TARDIS arrives in Australia is the smug look of an rear end in a top hat whose sinister plans are finally coming together and he is relishing every second. Sacha Dhawan is awesome, and man does it look like he is having a GREAT time:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 2, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

"Do you want to take a trip in the box"

gently caress me his reaction to that is good both in the moment and then when you think about it later and realise it's the Master just reveling in the Doctor inviting him into her TARDIS and not even knowing.

I was spoiler to the Master appearing (although I didn't know who it would be) which was a shame, but a good episode. Feels like they've fixed most of the editing/pacing issues from last series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

realise it's the Master just reveling in the Doctor inviting him into her TARDIS and not even knowing.

Going back and knowing that he's doing his version of 12 pretending to be agape when River brings him in for the "first" time is pretty incredible :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watched it again, Sacha is loving amazing. Dude has so much energy and I love it. I may have been lukewarm on the episode overall but Thirteen still rules and Graham is still the best companion since Donna.

Watching the new Master reveal made me remember my dream casting for a future Master, I want a previous Doctor to take the role. The Master takes his old face as the ultimate gently caress YOU to his eternal enemy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe an unpopular opinion but the show should just dump off Yaz and Ryan. Having Graham and the Doctor would just make the show stronger without having to waste time with empty character beats.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I just really hope SpyMaster doesn’t get offed at the end of the next episode, as much as I loved Simms I’m still a bit sad we never got more of Jacobi’s Master.

Harlock posted:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but the show should just dump off Yaz and Ryan. Having Graham and the Doctor would just make the show stronger without having to waste time with empty character beats.
There’s definitely more that they could be doing, at the moment their stuff just seems like they are there to preach at times like in Rosa.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 2, 2020

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Harlock posted:

I, too, get bothered when I see dark-skinned people on my teevee!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ryan and Graham's dynamic is great but needs to be fleshed out more. Yaz is kind of just occupying space right now so they need to do something with her asap.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You know, I really liked Dark Water, I thought it was one of the best first parts of a two-parter the revival's had.

This is just a better version of Dark Water, and I love it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Ryan and Graham's dynamic is great but needs to be fleshed out more. Yaz is kind of just occupying space right now so they need to do something with her asap.

I feel like they're trying to avoid having a single hypercompetent Mary Sue companion like Clara by having Ryan who isn't super confident and Graham who overestimates himself some times but Yaz just seems like "when we need someone else who isn't Ryan or Graham to do this thing," they really haven't done enough to make her an actual character IMO. I do prefer this over the old style "single episode companion who dies heroically 95% of the time."

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
That was SO much better than any of series 11. Here's hoping Chinballs has turned a corner.

The Master took me completely by surprise, which was nice. Some say it's a bit early to bring him back but... that just makes it more surprising doesn't it :hurr:
I thought he was absolutely brilliant, I hope he sticks around for a while.

As for whether the 'fam' would do fine without Yaz and Ryan. Probably, at the moment. It's nothing at all to do with skin colour (I mean, look how great the current Master is!), they just seem a bit pointless and without much in the way of personality. At least Graham is kind of funny. I thought perhaps it's overcrowding, with not enough for everyone to do, but they managed well with 4 main cast in the 60s. Susan, Ian, Barbara, all very different characters with their own contribution to the show. None of them really felt like they were "Just There" like Yaz in particular does. Just poor writing / character development is what I'm leaning towards, and that's fixable if they choose to. Look how Lt Robotface was developed in the second season of ST:Discovery for example from "why is she even here" to "wow that's quite an interesting and cool character" in the space of an episode or two (just before being written out, ironically).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dhawan had me sold when he raged "Do you really think I wouldn't make it sonic proof!"

Along with the aforementioned "An Adventure in Space and Time", he's also met the Weeping Angels and was involved with Torchwood:

https://www.bigfinish.com/contributors/v/Sacha-Dhawan-10121

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Man this thread is really quiet. Did everyone give up watching after the last series?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

mycomancy posted:

I, too, get bothered when I see dark-skinned people on my teevee!

Yikes at this post mate.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Harlock posted:

Yikes at this post mate.

Yikes at your poo poo post, and I'm not your mate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish doing a weekly sale:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-special-offers

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Of course, "the CEO is partially alien" is taken from the Zuckerberg memes. But I'm fine with that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I am curious how someone can be 7% alien. Like, was an distant ancestor an alien ?

It'll probably be something about DNA was partially rewritten or something, because they can use that on this show to cover just about anything. But still.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/haurielooper/status/1212675979581284352?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I... kinda liked the episode? The alien design is simple but still effectively creepy and the overall spy theme really fits this Tardis team for some reason. Yaz not being given much to do is still an issue, but the cast still has great chemistry and Dhawan looks like he’s going to bring some gleeful rage to The Master. He’s got big shoes to fill after how great Missy was, but I like what we’ve gotten so far. Definitely one of the better Chibnall era episodes.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I felt like almost every episode last season was missing a few elements to make it feel like Doctor Who to me.

The s1 opener felt like Doctor Who. I'm glad it's back.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

Davros1 posted:

Large Graphic

I assume things are the same on that side of the pond as here, where ratings have been in a steady decline for decades thanks to, first cable, and now streaming? The days of an episode of Friends getting 40 million viewers or whatnot are long over, it's absolutely shocking looking at any show's viewership from years ago to how much the most popular network shows get now, even the most popular ones.

Of course we're dealing with a situation where the previous series rated higher than Capadi's last series, but the internet only focused on the decline over the year which has happened with every series (well probably not Tennant but whatever) because they hated getting cooties from a girl being in their Who.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Does the UK eventually release live + DVR figures?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If UNIT is gone, what happened to Osgood?
Don't follow audio or books, is it explained there?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
edit: never mind, figured it out.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 2, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone bought the "Doctor Who, The Christopher Eccleston & David Tennant Years" set off of itunes? When I look at the page for it on apple's website/the old store interface it makes me believe the specials at the end are in sd in the set. However, in the apple TV (on my computer/new itunes for movies) app, it looks like the set has the HD versions of the specials at the end.
Anyone know if the specials filmed in hd are in sd or hd in the set?

I know the series started filming in HD with "Planet of the Dead". Can't say about the set though.

happyhippy posted:

If UNIT is gone, what happened to Osgood?
Don't follow audio or books, is it explained there?

The UNIT main series always seemed to be set prior to "Dark Water", since there's only one Osgood, and no mention of her "dying".

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 2, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's a bit rich for people to say 'Yaz does nothing' for this episode in particular, where she rather explicitly does get to be the most useful of the three companions, being better at the spywork than the Doctor herself to boot.

If anything this episode lays down a pretty good groundwork for what all three companions bring to the table.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Yaz actually had more to do this episode and it was a big improvement over last season where even in the episodes about her family she was largely just there. I was hoping they'd do more with her shock/trauma from being teleported from England to an alien dimension to Australia in quick succession though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Read:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B61P5LsH7k0/?igshid=1mq9yczhrhb86

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like to think Capaldi knew, but also that literally nobody told him. He just knew.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That is wonderful.

Jerusalem posted:

I like to think Capaldi knew, but also that literally nobody told him. He just knew.

He honestly might have heard chatter from people involved, in a, "Hey Peter, that guy you're in a play with right now? We're thinking of him for The Master" kind of way. Then Peter saw the look on his face and realized, "He got the call."

But also, yeah, he probably just knew.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like when a British actor gets a call and walks out with that reaction, there's a very small list of things that could've happened.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I feel like when a British actor gets a call and walks out with that reaction, there's a very small list of things that could've happened.

Yeah, when they get a call and look stunned, but cant say what the call was its either a) a hollywood breakthrough role, b) a major part in Who, or c) Operation Yewtree.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
d) The Bill

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of course Capaldo knew. He's actually the Doctor. Why wouldn't he know?

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

I was wondering a bit whether it'd turn out he only thinks he's the Master, between the "heart" comment and the fact that internet dude seemed to be in this position of "I control you" to the aliens and they're all like "ya, sure you do", a typical Master situation, but this makes it seem like no such swerve will happen (unless he's a ParallelMaster, which would still be a bit disappointing).

I hope this is actually a pre-Jacobi Master, it seems like it was set in stone that Gomez followed Simm, and I don't want to see the redemption stuff thrown out at all, but then again it's not at all unimaginable, regeneration is a personality change too, so a new Master could easily have looked and said "what was I thinking?!?!"

[edit] Also meant to mention, if the drums comes up, that should point to pre-Simm (thus pre-Jacobi) too, wasn't Simm's Master more or less over the drums at the end of his original run? I can't remember if it came up with him and Gomez at all, and I don't remember her ever bringing it up.

Jeffe fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Probably the time lords cured that as well as his skeleton face thing before they kicked him out.

"It was a mutual kicking me out."