Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Is that just a Butthole Surfers comp or is there material originally created for the film?
Two LP set, one of band songs and the other’s the score!

I went to the record store because I can't stand bars so gently caress New Years and found a sweet Caroliner record (Their name changes for every album, this one is credited to Caroliner Rainbow Hernia Milk Queen). Their first album in fact, a box set - hand-crafted and full of things:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The Barnes and Noble near me was having a big 50% off select vinyl sale.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

cosmicjim posted:

The Barnes and Noble near me was having a big 50% off select vinyl sale.
nice

Fake edit: upon finding there is no B&N within 50 miles of me, i find their website... undesirable. Also,

I don’t want this, it’s just one of the first results in the deals category. Also Abbey Road is a steal at 5% off :geno:

I can’t find anything beyond poo poo like that and Billy Eyelash and 90s CDs that were kicking around my older sister’s room, none of this is much appealing. Please advise

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
That would be a really good deal if Barnes and Noble sold anything other than Creedence Clearwater Revival comps and reissues of Thriller for 35 bucks.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
That’s too bad. The B&N here had lots of newer albums by smaller artists on sale like The Shins, Iron and Wine, and Sufjan Stevens.
Personally I bought Jim James “Tribute to 2,” A Perfect Circle’s newest album and an Iron Maiden live double album.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

If anyone is looking for a decent cartridge for their turntable I'm selling a couple in SA Mart:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908917

Selling an ortofon 2m red now and probably a Nagaoka MP-110 in that thread tomorrow when my new cartridge arrives.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I got Beck “Colors” and A Tribe Called Quest’s new album for $25 total at the Barnes and Nobel sale 🤷‍♂️

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheJetCityFix posted:

I got Beck “Colors” and A Tribe Called Quest’s new album for $25 total at the Barnes and Nobel sale 🤷‍♂️

Is the sale still ongoing?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do the stores generally have a decent selection? Maybe I should do something constructive today and leave the house...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do the stores generally have a decent selection? Maybe I should do something constructive today and leave the house...

Apparently the ones near everyone else in this thread do.The B&N around here is trash.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I went and there was two sides of the vinyl stand - the side with mostly boring crap that was 50% off (audiophiles can complete their Diana Krall collection tho) and the better side at ‘a bit more than full price’ stuff.

I grabbed a Chvrches record ($10) and ATCQs Peoples Instinctive Travels ($15). They had the new Tribe record like the other poster grabbed too, so probably similar stuff at each one. Lots of meh soundtracks.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Are there any new recommendations/anecdotes on cartridges that are currently produced? The OP recommends Shure, but it looks like they're out of the game. I'd like to keep it under/around $200, I listen to all kinds of stuff so something that's an all-around performer would be great.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I don't remember specifically how I decided upon it but I bought a 95P Paratrace needle for my AT95E cartridge a few years ago and it sounds fantastic. It's ~$200.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think you can really go wrong with an Ortofon red or blue.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Skip all that poo poo and get into vintage audio equipment, so that you can search the NOS inventory of four different parts websites in the hopes of finding the correct color of knob for your goofy-rear end rotating ceramic cartridge from 1973!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I got that Todd Rundgren collab double LP called Runddans and made it nearly all the way through the first LP before realizing it was meant to be played at 45

pretty cool tbh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I went to an incredibly too large vinyl warehouse with an attached record store only to leave after five minutes because after wandering around for a bit I asked the dude at the counter where the metal section was and turns out it was just one shelf with garbage on it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Spanish Manlove posted:

I went to an incredibly too large vinyl warehouse with an attached record store only to leave after five minutes because after wandering around for a bit I asked the dude at the counter where the metal section was and turns out it was just one shelf with garbage on it.

lol sounds like Bananas in St. Pete.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ballz posted:

lol sounds like Bananas in St. Pete.

ding ding ding nailed it. I guess I'm just incredibly spoiled by Mojo's selection and their coffee bar.

i have the week off so I figured i'd make the trip out since my friends suggested I check it out, but it was both impressive and a massive let down. The only thing that kinda looked interesting was a ratty copy of Iron Maiden - Killers that cost the same amount as a new version at Mojo so it stayed on the shelf.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Spanish Manlove posted:

ding ding ding nailed it. I guess I'm just incredibly spoiled by Mojo's selection and their coffee bar.

i have the week off so I figured i'd make the trip out since my friends suggested I check it out, but it was both impressive and a massive let down. The only thing that kinda looked interesting was a ratty copy of Iron Maiden - Killers that cost the same amount as a new version at Mojo so it stayed on the shelf.

Hah, knew it! I have a soft spot for Bananas, but despite the sheer quantity, it is a bit lacking in some genres like metal and hip hop. And you might have thought you saw "the warehouse," but you really haven't; they have a second location a few blocks away that has tens of thousands of more records -- slightly more curated -- that you can get lost in for hours.

But if you're on the Pinellas side of the bay, Planet Retro is a much better store to go to for your metal and punk needs. There's also Daddy Kool, and while they have a good selection, they tend to focus more on new over used albums and the markup in price those bring.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

maybe broaden yr horizons a bit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ballz posted:

Hah, knew it! I have a soft spot for Bananas, but despite the sheer quantity, it is a bit lacking in some genres like metal and hip hop. And you might have thought you saw "the warehouse," but you really haven't; they have a second location a few blocks away that has tens of thousands of more records -- slightly more curated -- that you can get lost in for hours.

But if you're on the Pinellas side of the bay, Planet Retro is a much better store to go to for your metal and punk needs. There's also Daddy Kool, and while they have a good selection, they tend to focus more on new over used albums and the markup in price those bring.

Oh yeah, I've heart of Planet Retro. I saw a few ads for a punk rock flea market there. Also i feel real dumb forgetting daddy kool exists, I'll check those out some day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Banano posted:

maybe broaden yr horizons a bit

Maybe this place is better but every time I've seen someone selling records from a very large quantity like that it's just an unsorted pile of garbage which very occasionally has something decent in there. It's never worth the hassle of digging through thousands of Herb Alpert records and old showtunes to maybe find a good classic rock disc that you can get anywhere else.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Not that I encourage anyone to go through my thread history, but a lot of my finds that I posted here circa 2014 came from the unsorted bins at Bananas and were pretty damned good for their price.

Sadly when I last paid them a visit back in October I found the selection much less varied than it once was and barely worth digging through.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 4, 2020

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got an immaculate first pressing of John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Double Fantasy today for $3.

How can I get this stupid oranger sticker off the cover without ruining it? Do people really steal from record shops?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Jascum posted:

Got an immaculate first pressing of John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Double Fantasy today for $3.

How can I get this stupid oranger sticker off the cover without ruining it? Do people really steal from record shops?

Try a hair dryer, just make sure the record is out of the sleeve first.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
VMP has finally shipped my December record. Or at least they've printed a shipping label and marked it as shipped, we'll see when it actually shows up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jascum posted:

A place I use to go to would sometimes put the price sticker on the cover and the actual loving label. Anyway rubbing alcohol will work. You just have to go somewhat slowly and don't saturate it. I learned about that here quite some time ago and thought it was bullshit, but it works. It will not mar the paper, I've done this successfully a number of times on album covers and all kinds of other paper stuff. Use a Q-tip or a cotton ball. If you can peel some of the sticker off without tearing the cover do that first and get as much off as you can. Then dab what's left with the alcohol and roll that poo poo off with your finger, it's best to avoid smearing it too much but that's not the end of the world it just makes more work. Repeat the process a few times and you should be good to go.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Never tried it, but numerous people have told me lighter fluid is great for getting stickers off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Never tried it, but numerous people have told me lighter fluid is great for getting stickers off.

I'd just stick with rubbing alcohol. At this point in my life I'm way too lazy to even gently caress with any of this, but I rarely find records with stickers on them anyway. I think the only time I've come across it in a long time is in a flea market and even then those guys will have most of their records in sleeves with the prices on them or they other wise use stickers that are made to peel off without loving up the paper under it.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

CPL593H posted:

I'd just stick with rubbing alcohol. At this point in my life I'm way too lazy to even gently caress with any of this, but I rarely find records with stickers on them anyway. I think the only time I've come across it in a long time is in a flea market and even then those guys will have most of their records in sleeves with the prices on them or they other wise use stickers that are made to peel off without loving up the paper under it.

This place has their records over $1 in plastic sleeves, but they put the grading sticker on the plastic sleeve and and the price on the cover. I guess it’s to combat people switching sleeves? 99% of their records are under $5 anyway...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Schremp Howard posted:

I've used it and it works very well, it dissolves the sticky parts and almost instantly evaporates off the cover itself.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

internet celebrity posted:

VMP has finally shipped my December record. Or at least they've printed a shipping label and marked it as shipped, we'll see when it actually shows up.

I supposedly have Mobb Deep en route, so that’s exciting. Two other remain unshipped and they refunded me on a third so who knows what will eventually happen there.

In other news I did stop by Barnes and Noble, and the record selection was pretty much as expected: popular mainstream albums. I did pick up Bowie’s “Pin Ups” for $11 as that’s just one of those records I’ve been needing to add to my collection since forever but never got around to it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jascum posted:

depends on the paper stock of the outer sleeve. ive found the lighter fluid and goo gone can stain some of the more natural paper sleeves where the chemically treated ones can withstand a bit more liquid.

I usually start off with a hair dryer at a low/med heat and pick at the edges with a slightly sanded down guitar pick (anything with a smooth tapered edge, probably best a thin piece of plastic) that gets under the sticker and I just take my time going at it till its gone. if there's still residue that's when i put a bit of lighter fluid on a quetip and dab it on the sticky bits and wipe it away immediately after. really depends on what im working on tho and how much i care for the quality of the product after im done. i also have a pretty good memory for which record stores use better price stickers than others for their used stock. Amoeba and Rasputin both suck in this regard as their stickers are impossible to get off completely unless they're fresh, but even then they put goddamn price stickers on the record label. what the gently caress :negative:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I always held it over a pot of boiling, steaming water to loosen it up enough to peel off perfectly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm loving autistic and even I don't care about this that much. All these things are so much work for something that doesn't really matter.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for all the suggestions. Because of Amazon, I’d kind of forgotten how to get stickers and stuff off products. I remember using Goo Gone to clean jewel cases in the 90s, which is probably just a solvent like alcohol or lighter fluid.

CPL593H posted:

I'm loving autistic and even I don't care about this that much. All these things are so much work for something that doesn't really matter.

It doesn’t matter to you, but I didn’t want to look at a stupid day-glo orange sticker on the mostly black cover. Let’s go back to posting about music.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jascum posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Because of Amazon, I’d kind of forgotten how to get stickers and stuff off products. I remember using Goo Gone to clean jewel cases in the 90s, which is probably just a solvent like alcohol or lighter fluid.

Goo Gone is a bad idea here because it leaves a residue that needs to be washed off with soap and water. It also doesn't dissolve in the air like alcohol does.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My music is good :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Herb Alpert or GTFO.