Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
2020 Tane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Tane.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

:reddit: God help the poor bug smashers coming to this after the holidays.. 760 bug reports in the past week alone xD

:reddit: 3170 bug reports in the past month.. im actually happy to see ppl reporting bugs there than here. Im sure there are duplicates since ppl wont bother searching..

:v: When you are asking people to pay to test your game .. You get what you get

I have to ask, because I really don't understand- the bug report system has been out and in use for like, four years now. To the best of my knowledge, like six bugs have actually been reported "Fixed" in the system in that time- literally six out of tens of thousands reported. I mean, it's not like the game gets any visible fixes to long standing issues- or if it does, they have no regression testing, because poo poo gets broken again the very next patch.

Is there any evidence that CIG actually looks at or interacts with the bug reports in any way? Is it literally just a hole marked "Complaints?" People are actually still diligently trying to format correctly worded bug reports, spending their real time reproducing errors, and then filling out forms to submit to this site. Are they doing all that in the full knowledge that no human being has ever actually bothered to loving look at any of it, and never will?

If that is the case... I don't know that I've ever seen a community quite as stupid as Star Citizen's fan base.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

If that is the case... I don't know that I've ever seen a community quite as stupid as Star Citizen's fan base.
You might be right, but I have to ask if you've ever read someone quoting passages from maro's tumblr in an argument

If you don't know what that is cease and worry no further

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Hmmm, that implies Star Citizen in 2018 was in the wrong direction. I guess development really started in 2019.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

TYOOL Tane-ty Tane-ty.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I have to ask, because I really don't understand- the bug report system has been out and in use for like, four years now. To the best of my knowledge, like six bugs have actually been reported "Fixed" in the system in that time- literally six out of tens of thousands reported. I mean, it's not like the game gets any visible fixes to long standing issues- or if it does, they have no regression testing, because poo poo gets broken again the very next patch.

Is there any evidence that CIG actually looks at or interacts with the bug reports in any way? Is it literally just a hole marked "Complaints?" People are actually still diligently trying to format correctly worded bug reports, spending their real time reproducing errors, and then filling out forms to submit to this site. Are they doing all that in the full knowledge that no human being has ever actually bothered to loving look at any of it, and never will?

The evidence I'd use is what you just said about the report to fix ratio, but the deeper evidence is that the game isn't working in almost any capacity. CIG just can't get it to work. The remaining backers are stupid enough to see a malfunction as a "bug" because they are doing the reports in good faith, but we know better. Clipping through ships, and the tens of thousands of other problems aren't bugs - they're the inevitable symptoms of a company that couldn't code a calculator app trying to make a complicated game.

The game isn't even broken - it's an attempt to code a playable demo, and the attempt failed so hard it burned a quarter billion dollars over a decade and has nothing to show for it. It sounds like a philosophical point, and maybe it is, but that's what we have. A model-viewer where the camera is temporarily placed inside a badly animated ship or commando. For all their claims of not "cheating" and doing things "real," CIG made the fakest game of all. A first-person camera tour that looks like a game in screenshots. Every time they add more graphical assets, it's touted as progress. Every time they claim to have put in a mechanic, like "mining," which is just a button press for the camera view, it's touted as progress.

CIG's progress isn't additive, it's multiplicative. And they started at 0. Which means that's where they still are.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 2, 2020

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

kilus aof posted:

Hmmm, that implies Star Citizen in 2018 was in the wrong direction. I guess development really started in 2019.

The great leap forward is near.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

The game isn't even broken - it's an attempt to code a playable demo

That's their incomprehensible method, remember the good old "we will develop modules and merge them together" and boum a game is born. Every module had heavy problems and has been abandoned so there is nothing to merge, remember the "star marine is already in the game" ; soon we'll have "sq54 is already here just fly citizen". They just don't understand game development.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Zzr posted:

That's their incomprehensible method, remember the good old "we will develop modules and merge them together" and boum a game is born. Every module had heavy problems and has been abandoned so there is nothing to merge, remember the "star marine is already in the game" ; soon we'll have "sq54 is already here just fly citizen". They just don't understand game development.

Chris thought he could contract out the development of individual modules to real developers and then just stitch them together at the end. Presto, game development understood. I want to know who convinced him that such an approach could work or if that's what Chris actually believed about software development. This whole thing boils down to Chris thought he could get someone else to do his homework for him and he could take all the credit. Which, ironically, is how most of his former career went.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zzr posted:

One in the Bum posted:

Chris thought he could contract out the development of individual modules to real developers and then just stitch them together at the end. Presto, game development understood. I want to know who convinced him that such an approach could work or if that's what Chris actually believed about software development. This whole thing boils down to Chris thought he could get someone else to do his homework for him and he could take all the credit. Which, ironically, is how most of his former career went.

That’s a huge part of this mess that is memory holed by CIG and the backers whenever they trot out their “early days/development really didn’t start until year X” bullshit. Chris spent millions contracting work out to third party studios in those early years, and almost none of it wound up being useable.

Right out of the gate he was burning money, but in the Citizen’s broken brains, the lack of any progress and the smaller staff of that era, means that development really didn’t start until 2014/2015 and everything is normal and good.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 2, 2020

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

One in the Bum posted:

Chris convinced himself. He was literally told by various advisors, no. Not maybe, no. Then he lied, and collected money for lies. Pretty standard game development really.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

quote:

The whole year of 2019 I was lurking the Something Awful Star Citizen section to get news about refunds/delays/excuses and the mis-managment of Chris Roberts and Star Citizen but now as of 1/1/2020 the site has gone into paid only viewership and gone dark. I'm getting a message saying I have to either pay money OR I cant read/look at the Star Citizen thread anymore.

Any clue whats going on? edit: Looks like the entire website has gone pay only to view.

Kind of a scummy thing to do making people pay money to see a thread, almost reminds me of the crap Chris Roberts does with artificial scarcity on the ships "Sold out" and then making people pay for "Concierge access" to buy said ships.

If you're part of the SA Goons crew who also frequents here, make sure you send a PM to the admins and tell them a big F.U. Quit doing the same bull-poo poo that Chris and Sandi are guilty of.

:wave:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Lowtax's spine is our Star Citizen.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

colonelwest posted:

That’s a huge part of this mess that is memory holed by CIG and the backers whenever they trot out their “early days/development really didn’t start until year X” bullshit. Chris spent millions contracting work out to third party studios in those early years, and almost none of it wound up being useable.

Right out of the gate he was burning money, but in the Citizen’s broken brains, the lack of any progress and the smaller staff of that era, means that development really didn’t start until 2014/2015 and everything is normal and good.

Remember how they contracted star marine out to Raphael Saadiq's illfonic and apparently all the assets came back to the wrong scale because star citizen has no design document or any kind of standardization

Also what ever came of that big leak from ben showing an ftp or whatever on stream? Wasn't there a capital ship or something in it?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Finally the great wall of tax is back up.

Good riddance.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG interacted with it at one point for sure. When they deleted every single bug report that one time.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Scruffpuff posted:

The evidence I'd use is what you just said about the report to fix ratio, but the deeper evidence is that the game isn't working in almost any capacity. CIG just can't get it to work. The remaining backers are stupid enough to see a malfunction as a "bug" because they are doing the reports in good faith, but we know better. Clipping through ships, and the tens of thousands of other problems aren't bugs - they're the inevitable symptoms of a company that couldn't code a calculator app trying to make a complicated game.

The game isn't even broken - it's an attempt to code a playable demo, and the attempt failed so hard it burned a quarter billion dollars over a decade and has nothing to show for it. It sounds like a philosophical point, and maybe it is, but that's what we have. A model-viewer where the camera is temporarily placed inside a badly animated ship or commando. For all their claims of not "cheating" and doing things "real," CIG made the fakest game of all. A first-person camera tour that looks like a game in screenshots. Every time they add more graphical assets, it's touted as progress. Every time they claim to have put in a mechanic, like "mining," which is just a button press for the camera view, it's touted as progress.

CIG's progress isn't additive, it's multiplicative. And they started at 0. Which means that's where they still are.

Well, I think the remaining Citizens are loving stupid. There, I said it.
They think some superficial poo poo like caves, new spaceships or a new planet equals progress. What they don't see or want to see is that people still falling through geometry, no MMO-features whatsoever, the buggy UI system, hosed up physics and such. CIG wasn't able to tackle any of these problems in a meaningful way. And no, this is not some fan project or an open source game, its a ~250 million dollar, supposedly AAA game which CIG is using to play development studio since more than 8 years.

The Citizens don't understand this. They think people fall through the geometry because some dev wrote stuff like * 0.01 instead of * 0.1, fixable issue, just an oversight. Well, no, their whole foundation is so rotten that bugfixes that touch engine stuff are not possible in a sustainable way anymore. 8 years with basically no progress and the same bugs still present are proof enough for me at this point. However, the Citizens are proud that they help the "bugsmashers" (what a loving stupid description) and feel like real gamedevs. In reality this bugtracker is just window dressing, CIG is simply completely in over their heads, the "fast victories" of the early days cost them dearly now. No one there ever said things like: "No, adding this feature in that way will break a thousand things along the road and is unmaintainable", and if someone did, he was booted by CR afterwards. He is a visionary and doesn't want some hesitant naysayer around him.
In a way it's sad, if Citizens want to play gamedev, there are some open source games or engines out there that could really use a hand. And you know what? Citizens would do something good for a change instead of financing some hack his new mansion and I guarantee that they would learn a thing or two about programming.

Anyway, since the remaining backers are really incredible stupid this whole thing will go on for a few more years. A new planet, a new star system, some new ship and these morons are happy.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:v: posted:

I'm a fan of Elite Dangerous and purchased Star Citizen because I thought it would be cool to be able to walk around and fly a space ship in the same game. Within an hour of starting, I ran into some bugs that made the game basically unplayable (unless any of you folk know what the issues might be).

To start off, I got in my ship and the cursor that shows which direction I'm rotating towards was gone. This made it very very difficult to fly the ship, since I was basically unable to point the ship in the direction I wanted. I figured a good ol' relog would fix the issue. Sadly, after logging back in and trying to retrieve my ship, I get an error. "Unable to retrieve vehicle, try again later." I tried retrieving it a few more times and a few more relogs, with no luck.

I did a bit of research and found the only ways to get around this are to either retrieve a different ship, or have someone fly you to a different port where you can claim the ship. Of course, I don't know anyone else who plays the game and no one in the chat was willing to help me at the time. I also do not have any backup ships.

So about an hour in and already super frustrated. Is this a common problem, or am I just really unlucky? Am I doing something wrong?

:reddit: posted:

What part of beta dont you understand?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sankis posted:

Remember how they contracted star marine out to Raphael Saadiq's illfonic and apparently all the assets came back to the wrong scale because star citizen has no design document or any kind of standardization

Also what ever came of that big leak from ben showing an ftp or whatever on stream? Wasn't there a capital ship or something in it?

That leak helped CIG immensely and fired off the "CIG is doing tons of things in the background" mantra.

Funniest thing about the bug reporter for me was it was bugged to and took them forever to fix it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Has anything from the leak actually showed up in a playable* form?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah the paywall has nothing to do with artificial scarcity this time, and to quote TGRS' tagline: it's not about you [, commando ]. :cripes:

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Huh? Did I miss something? The narrative changed again and SC is considered beta now? So SC is feature complete and there are just some known and unknown bugs and performance issues left? Good to know, I'll buy an Idris now.
This is the one thing that really pisses me off about Citizens. They are completely clueless and think they know how things work just by drinking Chris' Kool-Aid. They assume that every developer is so atrociously bad as CIG. Do these guys really think titles like GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn looked that bad after eight years?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meanwhile in development teams that actually don't understand development:

- Warframe (Digital Extremes, 2013) as F2P is in Top12 top grossing Steam games for 2019
- Planet ZOO (FDev, 2019) is in Top40
- Stellaris (Paradox Interactive, 2016) is in Top40
- Planet Coaster and Jurassic park: Evo (FDev, 2016 and 2018) are in Top100
- Astroneer (System Era Softworks, 2016) is in Top100
- NMS (Hello Games, 2016) is in Top100
- Subnautica: BZ (Unknown Worlds Entertainment, EA) is in Top100
- RimWorld (Ludeon Studios, 2018) is in Top100

To clarify, Top12 likely means gross revenues over 200M (estimated from Total War sales which released in May), and even the lowest tiers of Top100 mean millions of revenue, for the games listed likely above ten millions at least. Clearly space games (or in FDev's case funding of space games in 2019 and future, listed it purely for Elite) are dead.

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2019_top_sellers

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Besides clearing them out every patch/year, nope. If the staff members have ever seen the game beyond the cryengine editor that would be loving news to everyone.

Not even their community managers have active twitch accounts and if they do, they certainly ain't playing star citizen.

If I recall, there is an RTV/ATV episode where there is a discussion them somehow fixing a bug with no knowledge on how or what fixed it. That is all you need to know how much they know about game development.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

That leak helped CIG immensely and fired off the "CIG is doing tons of things in the background" mantra.

Funniest thing about the bug reporter for me was it was bugged to and took them forever to fix it.

I have absolutely no doubt that those running CIG are doing lots of things in the background .... Things like breaking a contract with their engine supplier, supporting a want to be actress, setting up a system of 20 + shell companies, spending millions of dollars contracting out work that they never use due to them mismanaging it, attending trade shows, but in a non official manner, selling off 10% of the company that the backers had paid for and profiting themselves personally, tickling in Black, wasting talented actors time, using backers money to invest in other companies, misleading journalist and backers, getting in poop flinging matches with Derek Smart, attending the Monaco GP as research, self doxxing, degrading other companies that they believe to be their peers and final laughing and making fun of the idiots that give them money.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ggangensis posted:

Well, I think the remaining Citizens are loving stupid. There, I said it.
They think some superficial poo poo like caves, new spaceships or a new planet equals progress.
i'll say it again: people are shilling 3.8 as the "Huge Step In The Right Direction" patch when the biggest features it adds are a literally empty planet with nothing in it and, you guessed it, another spaceship for you to spend $500 on.

well, do gamebreaking bugs count? because 3.8 added a fuckton of those too.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Kosumo posted:

I have absolutely no doubt that those running CIG are doing lots of things in the background .... Things like breaking a contract with their engine supplier, supporting a want to be actress, setting up a system of 20 + shell companies, spending millions of dollars contracting out work that they never use due to them mismanaging it, attending trade shows, but in a non official manner, selling off 10% of the company that the backers had paid for and profiting themselves personally, tickling in Black, wasting talented actors time, using backers money to invest in other companies, misleading journalist and backers, getting in poop flinging matches with Derek Smart, attending the Monaco GP as research, self doxxing, degrading other companies that they believe to be their peers and final laughing and making fun of the idiots that give them money.

This is a pretty comprehensive list, and it really explains where the $250 million went, since all of the above went off without a hitch. Money's worth delivered!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I read somewhere on Reddit that CIG is doing 'staggered' development such that 3.8 is based off 3.6 rather than 3.7 so presumably most regressions from 3.7 are poorly resolved merge conflicts. Of course they are still capable of introducing brand new bugs like weapons growing beyond control but hey it would be funny if true.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LOL, what part of beta doesn't he understand? Perhaps the part where its not a beta but an alpha?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stingtwo posted:

If I recall, there is an RTV/ATV episode where there is a discussion them somehow fixing a bug with no knowledge on how or what fixed it. That is all you need to know how much they know about game development.

To be fiar, that's not that uncommon in software development.

I myself have commented code with "Don't touch ever. Fixed bug. No idea how. Touching will break it!"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

eXXon posted:

I read somewhere on Reddit that CIG is doing 'staggered' development such that 3.8 is based off 3.6 rather than 3.7 so presumably most regressions from 3.7 are poorly resolved merge conflicts. Of course they are still capable of introducing brand new bugs like weapons growing beyond control but hey it would be funny if true.

I doubt any of it matters, since the version numbers are made up in order to facilitate stealing more money, and have no relation to the actual code.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Reminds me of how every Battlefield game reintroduces fixed bugs when they release the next one, because each game starts from a fork of the frostbite engine from before the bug was fixed.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

eXXon posted:

you have to be a really special kind of softhouse to even think of doing something that stupid

then again it's CIG we're talking about

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

stingtwo posted:

Was that the one where they were trying to debug carrying a box from the ground into the ship.
That was hilarious, so many complicated 'spaces' to move it onto and try to reorientate.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I gotta ask - why is the physics grid thing so challenging/innovative?

If you built your engine to actually include gravitational attraction, wouldn't that just do it?

If you didn't want to go that hardcore, why not just create "fuzzy" physics volumes that have a soft transition zone between them?

If you have two zones intersect you make their effects additive - so if you have one ship parked above another you get a combined gravity vector between the two, rather than having them fight for dominance like in SC's implementation.

Like, I'm not a programmer but I am familiar with game development on the art and concept side and this is just seems like a duh thing to me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

UnknownTarget posted:

I gotta ask - why is the physics grid thing so challenging/innovative?
my friend made it in unreal in literally less than an hour using blueprints
it's nothing special

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
If it was truly Open Development, shouldn't every Dev have a Twitch/Mixer account and be live streaming their progress?
I would love to see Crobber working those opposable thumbs while regaling us with stories about pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Dogeh posted:

If it was truly Open Development, shouldn't every Dev have a Twitch/Mixer account and be live streaming their progress?
I would love to see Crobber working those opposable thumbs while regaling us with stories about pixels.

Why do you need a 24/7 coke party stream from a yacht?