Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the bit where Niles plays one of Freddy's video games is actually one of the better depictions of video games from a TV sitcom, well aware that's an extremely low bar. Both in being believable and actually pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Timby posted:

The better physical comedy in a Christmas episode is Perspectives on Christmas, from season 5; Pierce delivers a master class in physical comedy with the bit in the elevator.

This also has Frasier & Niles as Martin's vocal coach, which is classic.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the bit where Niles plays one of Freddy's video games is actually one of the better depictions of video games from a TV sitcom, well aware that's an extremely low bar. Both in being believable and actually pretty funny.

"This must be some sort of advanced level"

"Actually this is the training area, I didn't even know you could die here!"

And Lilith's effortless mastery of it is great

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

This also has Frasier & Niles as Martin's vocal coach, which is classic.

Oh, God, that's right, Martin trying to hit the high note on O Holy Night. :laffo:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Cosmik Slop posted:

It would have been better if they hadn't made the guy in the diner a weird Brooklyn stereotype. "Eyy, dis is the time a' year when even bums like us can have a merry Christmas. The rest a' da year, we're on a one-way trip to Palookaville, amirite?" And it's like, where exactly in Seattle is this taking place?

A down on his luck Frasier Crane stops for a bite to eat at the Hurricane on Christmas Eve. He witnesses a heroin deal in the next booth over, is propositioned by his waitress, stops a fistfight between two transients, and later vomits up his undercooked eggs and hash browns in the parking lot.

drat I miss that place.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Friends was actually pretty good about that, probably because that was Matthew Perry’s actual PlayStation, and any scene that involved it and him he would just actually be playing the game.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No for real, I'll never forget Niles interrupting himself and saying "uh!--i didn't know there was a door there" as one of the most authentic/'realistic' "actors pretending to play a video game" moments I've seen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Inspector Hound posted:

No for real, I'll never forget Niles interrupting himself and saying "uh!--i didn't know there was a door there" as one of the most authentic/'realistic' "actors pretending to play a video game" moments I've seen

Non-gaming adults having trouble adjusting to video game logic is both a good joke and something very identifiable.

IIRC, the controller prop we see looks like a third-party PS1 controller, or at least something not clearly identifiable as any known brand. Reminds me of the Jumanji movie, which has the Jumanji game appear in a retro-looking console that vaguely resembles an Intellivision or something but clearly isn't meant to be any particular real-world console. (despite there being product placement of real consoles and Street Fighter in the movie)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God drat the empty suit who let Frasier disappear from Netflix. A pox on his house

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

God drat the empty suit who let Frasier disappear from Netflix. A pox on his house

ViacomCBS is moving pretty much everything it can to CBS All Access as contracts expire. They're slowly pulling the Star Trek shows from Amazon Prime, too, and I'd bet they're not long for this world on Netflix, either. Same with Cheers.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 1, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In the godawful episode where Frasier bones Roz and stalks her to her family reunion and pretends to be her ex-bf roger did the writers get too horny to remember that roz’s mom knows frasier pretty well and has been to his penthouse more than once

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was super creepy. Might be the creepiest thing Frasier ever did. I mean besides threatening Sam with a gun.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Let's all go to a taco show!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That was super creepy. Might be the creepiest thing Frasier ever did. I mean besides threatening Sam with a gun.

definitely the creepiest thing he’s ever done

iirc the gun wasn’t even loaded and there were like two other times sam got threatened with a gun in that same season, he even got shot in the butt (which is why in the expanded Cheersiverse Sam canonically has a second b-hole)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it was like Cheers: The Packing Heat Year

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cheers went to the "threaten with a gun" well a lot. Frasiers mom threatened Diane with a gun too I believe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cheers went to the "threaten with a gun" well a lot. Frasiers mom threatened Diane with a gun too I believe.

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah, and she finally calls Hester our over that in a fantasy scenario where Frasier is imagining all of the important women in his life telling him why he’s a romantic fuckup, which was a nice joke after like eight seasons practically canonizing her as a saint

another dumb thing about the “oh they finally hooked up even though nobody wanted them to and it was a terrible idea” episode is that even the writers can’t come up with a convincing way to get them in bed. they start clicking through tv channels looking for a good movie and then smash cut to waking up together, as if picking a movie with Dr. Frasier “Harvard” Crane wouldn’t be a frustrating and unsexy experience.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Then they had that weird season where it seemed like they were writing Roz as being in love with Frasier and she quits her job because he chooses to stay with the finance lady. And then they walked all that right back in the first two episodes of the next season.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Last night we were watching the RDWRER episode

Then I realized that was literally 20 years ago :smith:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Red wearer?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And now it'll be another decade before it gets picked up by a streaming service I use, so I'll start to forget all the episodes again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m glad I got to show my roommate the greatest hits before they went behind a paywall.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's all on Hulu right now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

And now it'll be another decade before it gets picked up by a streaming service I use, so I'll start to forget all the episodes again.

So glad I have it all on my NAS+Plex. I've began to entertain the streaming demon for current poo poo but I wont be running around signing up for more services for individual shows

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

JK Fresco posted:

Red wearer?

Rid worrier.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

gently caress is off of Amazon too.

It is on hulu like the other poster said so I can confirm that for US crane boys and girls and theys

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's still on Hulu as of this morning

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not buying Hulu because they have commercials and that's stupid for a pay service. :colbert:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I got the $2/month version a couple months ago so it's a nice extra now

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If anyone is weirdly Frasier desperate and has a VPN, for 10$ a month Canadian you can watch all of Frasier and Cheers on crave.ca

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also buttons and bows and hot and foamy will be on youtube forever and really what more do you need??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

He was a detective, you know.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Another Bill posted:

If anyone is weirdly Frasier desperate and has a VPN, for 10$ a month Canadian you can watch all of Frasier and Cheers on crave.ca

Huh, at a glance you get Seinfeld, 30 Rock and South Park too, that's not half bad.

(disclaimer: I was not paid 1/8th of a cent to make this post.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Huh, at a glance you get Seinfeld, 30 Rock and South Park too, that's not half bad.

Man the canadian dollar just keeps going down

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's pretty great tbh. Ten bucks gets you the basics and another 10/month gets HBO/Showtime on demand.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Frasier freaks because Daphne had a dude over one night, but she's on the weekly serving toast to some opera floozy with half a tit out talking about Die Fledermaus.

Oh and Martin has a widow over, scrambling her eggs all night, and he's like "oh PaPa! How wonderfully picaresque!"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

that episode does unequivocally pose frase as the villain, though, it's not like his weird hangups are presented as valid at any point

it's like twenty minutes of other characters dunking on him just like your post

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i mean the whole show in macrocosm is that frasier is a genuinely kind, sensitive, intelligent man who frequently makes a mess of the simplest things because he's also prone to snobbishness, over-thinking and extreme fussiness until either the good in him lets him see the error of his ways or he just ends the episode with everyone laughing at him for snowballing a gaffe into a catastrophe

that episode's no different in that it does depict frasier's excessive concern for the sex life of his father's careworker to be every bit as goony as it sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The family is dealing with some poo poo, and part of our coping strategy involved buying a season of Frasier since we couldn't watch it on Netflix/Amazon

:negative: