Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"FIENDS SLAIN THIS MONTH"

Terper (battle Lvl 69) Elentor (battle Lvl 99) Lowtax's_Spine (???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HD DAD posted:

I’m pretty sure someone at SE or Sony is gonna get fired into the sun.

Hopefully the lesson they take from this isn't to just not have a demo for part 2/3.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know if this deserves to be a spoiler, but here we go

:siren:CLOUD IN DRESS SPOTTED:siren:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gologle posted:

I don't know if this deserves to be a spoiler, but here we go

:siren:CLOUD IN DRESS SPOTTED:siren:

He looks just as convincing as you'd expect.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there somewhere to find this leaked stuff? the tweet linked to earlier got deleted

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is there somewhere to find this leaked stuff? the tweet linked to earlier got deleted

https://imgur.com/a/SeGMAHA

Album of all the leaked stuff.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Man, it sure does suck to be pathologically incapable of resisting spoilers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess they are working on a switch version too

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I mean it's FF7, we all know what's gonna happen.

hell yeah cloud is gorgeous :swoon:

PancakeTransmission posted:

And they've already said (claimed) that each part will be the length of FF13 so a 6-parter would be really hard to stretch out. And personally I think any more than 3 parts and sales will really start to drop off.

There's no reason that 2 parts can't cover the rest of the game post-Midgar, since the hardest parts (engine,initial assets,gameplay refinements) will be done.

I really hope you're right, I just have very little faith in SE to do anything right.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Webbeh posted:

Folks are already datamining some resources from the beta: https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/1212513660293304321

(read Twitter thread, spoilers on folks that haven't been shown yet)

Looks like they deleted it

https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/1212575218142777345

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Scarlet and Reeve look good.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
More like Palmer looks the best.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

More like Palmer looks the best.

He’s even talking about lard in tea in the screenshot :3

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So, that album, why is it all weird and pixelated? And why are some of the models odd? Is it because it’s a datamine and we’re doing some TCRF level stuff to get to it?

Also gott dang, show Yuffie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat it square release the demo :argh:

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Hopefully the lesson they take from this isn't to just not have a demo for part 2/3.

I think the real lesson is, why were the assets for the game's final boss available in the first demo? Why was all this poo poo that's not part of the demo packed with the demo?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
game devs got better things to do than gently caress with the asset pipeline which is probably enough of an apeshit horror show to begin with

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Eulogistics posted:

I think the real lesson is, why were the assets for the game's final boss available in the first demo? Why was all this poo poo that's not part of the demo packed with the demo?

Because it is 100x more work to remove all that stuff than it is to leave it in, and the team is already working 22 hours a day to get this shipped by March.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bean posted:

So, that album, why is it all weird and pixelated? And why are some of the models odd? Is it because it’s a datamine and we’re doing some TCRF level stuff to get to it?

Also gott dang, show Yuffie.

Some of the screenshots are lacking shaders, some are lacking IBL (image-based lighting), some lack both. If this is leaked from the demo, and these scenes are not in the demo, there would be no reason to bake the lightmaps, and they're pretty heavy.

What you're seeing is humans with a base material lacking any of the magic that makes us look human. For example, this zoom:

Is very derivative of Jorge Jimenez' extensive work in and out of activision on screen-space subsurface scattering - http://www.iryoku.com/sssss/

But slightly simpler. See the shadow under the nose and under the face? That would normally be a dark or black shadow. What you do to cheaply simulate blood through the skin's translucence (in a very unrealistic manner, by the way, but a lot of research indicate that as long as humans can see the blood our cognition or whether it's real or fake drops dramatically) is extending how far the light can reach into the angle of the red channel of an object, then blurring the image's red channel on screen space (the screen as you see it, so it's a 2D blur) and allowing it to leak to darker areas. The first part of the process looks kinda like this:

Of course modern shaders are much more complex than this, or at least can be. But the skin shader in FF7 doesn't look particularly complex.

Without very specific instructions for how to render the eyes and the skin, the human body looks very weird.

As for IBL, every scene has an information baked in one or multiple lightmaps with regards to its lighting and shadows. These are invisible probes scattered across a single scene, holding like "screenshots" of the environment around them in HDR. They're then used as the base lighting for the shader, hence image-based lighting. IBL is at the core of the PBR Pipeline, but because you're literally saving multiple 360 panoramic screenshots per environment, they're very heavy and probably cut from any version that doesn't contain them.

It's harder to go in detail, if you want I have a series explaining it from scratch, starting with FF6, here:

P1 P2 P3
P4 P5 P6

Eulogistics posted:

Because it's a logistics nightmare to remove this kind of stuff. It's always been. It's the same reason why there is dialogue for Aeris after she dies in the original FF7 and multiple copies of each dialogue with small variants. Or why the entire game is included in all 3 CDs and the only thing that changes are the cinematics. Or why Sonic 2 has a bunch of deleted stage metadata in the cartridge. As long as you're not including heavy-weight stuff, these leaked scenes amount to very little space. Manually excluding everything is a colossal logistics nightmare.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 2, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Nanaki!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

1. WHAT SHINRA?
2. NOT MY BUSINESS
3. HATE SHINRA
4. SUPPORT SHINRA

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Wait, is that Cloud's old friend Johnny getting smoked by some ShinRa dudes?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

NikkolasKing posted:

mods please change by name to ROWAN RASBERRY, tia

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

Wait, is that Cloud's old friend Johnny getting smoked by some ShinRa dudes?

I think it might be that scene in front of the honeybee inn where Johnny's debating to go in or not, and theres the angry shinra soldier around. Maybe they jazzed that scene up a bit.

Edit: Although looking at it again it doesnt seem much like the front of the honeybee.

Raposa fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 2, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I’m going to be v disappointed if the submarine game isn’t fleshed out into its own release

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s many more leaked images here, just FYI:

https://imgur.com/a/rDXISUM

There’s some really easily identifiable story points in the game, but there’s definitely new stuff that looks really interesting.

Also, Hell House confirmed, 11/10 GOTY

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

starring jeff goldblum as hojo

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
hojo really giving it his best crazed scientist look :love:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Saint Freak posted:

1. WHAT SHINRA?
2. NOT MY BUSINESS
3. HATE SHINRA
4. SUPPORT SHINRA

Holy poo poo that image is terrifying lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

[Speaking backward]
“I’ll see you again in 25 years”

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like the little kids with wooden buster swords, it's a neat little insight into Cloud's personality.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

That loving Jenova mutant :stare:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Tseng is kinda spooky looking.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

HD DAD posted:

[Speaking backward]

I wish they let Yoko Taro direct one of the parts cause god drat that would be amazing, but would ruin the other parts by being so much better

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

HD DAD posted:

[Speaking backward]

FIRAGA WALK WITH ME

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/sharko_vb/status/1212566097867575296

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god :laffo:. First the new Star Wars gets completely leaked months in advance, then the demo is obtained early and gets cracked wide open.

I'm gonna have to go really dark for this game, I don't want to spoil myself on any of it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
gently caress now I want to play the original again. Is there version you can buy a newer console version which is good enough or do I need to get out my ps1?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This channel has (presumably) all of the music ripped from the demo, and there's multiple variations for songs like the main battle theme, the boss theme, and the bombing mission theme, and they're all :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

gently caress now I want to play the original again. Is there version you can buy a newer console version which is good enough or do I need to get out my ps1?

you can buy it on like every platform. get it on Switch for portability or PC for modding