Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

A big flaming stink posted:

this may be horseshit on my part, but i feel like willis is unable to confront the banal horror of domestic abuse and has to contextualize it in some sort of bizarre supervillain-esque framing that allows for distance from the everyday nature of abuse.

Yeah, that's why I stopped reading Willis's stuff - he seems to only be able to write about these sorts of things in the style of a Saturday morning cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I would be okay with it if he decided to keep it silly and cartoony but then he tries to inject actual problems like sexual assault and parental abuse and poo poo but then has someone's bad dad be such a cartoonishly evil bastard that he's also laundering money for the mob and has time to take off to drive over to his college age daughter's school to gently caress with her for literally no reason until he straight up becomes an actual, literal costumed supervillain.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I actually normally like dumbing of age.

But boy howdy is this loving stupid, and it really undermines most of the "superheroism actually sucks" themes the comic built up in the last bad dad encounter.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah I’ll be honest I was pretty ok with the ‘play stupid games, win stupid prizes’ events of this current plot line (Blain or whatever his name is, the cartoonishly evil dad, is precisely galaxy-brained enough to be easily manipulated by Mike, and Mike is self-destructive enough to think he can just yank Blain around safely indefinitely) but this latest strip is just completely the wrong direction. This is wild and stupid.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The date rapist already turned into some kind of ridiculous supervillain in hiding, which really demonstrates a lack of understanding on Willis's part.

Glagha posted:

I didn't think the evil dad plotline could get any dumber but it managed it jesus christ.

Although honestly it's actually gone so far with this at this point that I think it's looped back to being kind of amazi

-Girl

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The date rapist is in jail after deciding he might as well murder Joyce on his way out once his identity was exposed. That isn’t really being a supervillain.

I’m not actually sure that Blaine is intentionally being a supervillain, either. He bought body armor because he recognizes that his daughter can and will beat him up, and he’s incapable of de-escalating. The fact that he looks like Captain Bad Dad never occurred to him.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The date rapist attempting to take physical revenge was an exaggeration; soap-opera-ish but not whatever this is.

The whole Amazigirl thing is a problem, it’s way beyond soap opera exaggeration and always has been. It’s muddled, because it conflates different kinds of unreality/unrealism.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

I’m not actually sure that Blaine is intentionally being a supervillain, either. He bought body armor because he recognizes that his daughter can and will beat him up, and he’s incapable of de-escalating. The fact that he looks like Captain Bad Dad never occurred to him.

ok, so where does the loving domino mask come in if he's not deliberately playing supervillain dressup

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

ok, so where does the loving domino mask come in if he's not deliberately playing supervillain dressup

To be honest, I didn’t notice he was wearing one because as previously mentioned, I avoid looking directly at his smug face.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Okay, today's QC gave me a sensible chuckle. Look at the background.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is a cute gag

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No Lemon, no Melon.

Too bad I hit a boot.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Glagha posted:

I would be okay with it if he decided to keep it silly and cartoony but then he tries to inject actual problems like sexual assault and parental abuse and poo poo but then has someone's bad dad be such a cartoonishly evil bastard that he's also laundering money for the mob and has time to take off to drive over to his college age daughter's school to gently caress with her for literally no reason until he straight up becomes an actual, literal costumed supervillain.
please note i haven't "read" willis, just encountered his work tangentially in the cccc thread, but i think i have a good grasp of the situation that is my favourite willis character. as previously discussed, willis can never let go of his old characters. thus one of his characters is forever a cypher of a scribbling from early childhood, ultracar. as should be clear to any fool from the name, ultracar was originally a literal car with extraordinary abilities. in later works, once willis had been exposed to the world and the beauty of human diversity, ultracar became a trans woman, carla. carla was known to be trans to the other characters, who in fact used her gender identity as an insult - but in the way a real life transphobe would insult a woman who had "been born a man", which was not canonically the case with carla, who had been born a car. at last another character melted carla's icy heart and they had a sex scene, where the emotional climax was carla bravely baring her true naked self to her lover, by which i mean she took off her female clothes and revealed beneath them, her mechanical chassis. it was in that moment that i realised i was in the presence of a genius

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i apologise if my previous comment reads as transphobic. i have no real complaint about the character, nor about the writing of the character, nor the spirit in which any of this was intended. in fact i'm not even complaining. the whole thing just makes me so happy

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Hey Avs, have you read Nasty Red Dogs? (I've skimmed through a bit of it. no idea if its your cup of tea or not)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Hey Avs, have you read Nasty Red Dogs? (I've skimmed through a bit of it. no idea if its your cup of tea or not)
i've never heard of it, and it does in fact look like exactly my poo poo :h: thank you friend, happy new decade

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Nasty Red Dogs is real good and surprisingly domestic, if your domestic fiction includes a friendly home invader breaking into a house that got stolen from him and then getting bitten by a dresser with a face.

Spoilers I guess!!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

fauna posted:

please note i haven't "read" willis, just encountered his work tangentially in the cccc thread, but i think i have a good grasp of the situation that is my favourite willis character. as previously discussed, willis can never let go of his old characters. thus one of his characters is forever a cypher of a scribbling from early childhood, ultracar. as should be clear to any fool from the name, ultracar was originally a literal car with extraordinary abilities. in later works, once willis had been exposed to the world and the beauty of human diversity, ultracar became a trans woman, carla. carla was known to be trans to the other characters, who in fact used her gender identity as an insult - but in the way a real life transphobe would insult a woman who had "been born a man", which was not canonically the case with carla, who had been born a car. at last another character melted carla's icy heart and they had a sex scene, where the emotional climax was carla bravely baring her true naked self to her lover, by which i mean she took off her female clothes and revealed beneath them, her mechanical chassis. it was in that moment that i realised i was in the presence of a genius
In Dumbing of Age Carla is just plain a trans woman and Ultra Car is an old cartoon she likes and she's mostly there to popcorn at everyone else's angsty drama and then go play roller derby.

I haven't read DoA in like a year so maybe she's been sucked into the drama since then.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i also haven't read dumbing of age in years but does willis still have the thing where he is insanely mad about his fundie parents and it pervades every single aspect of his writing?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

i also haven't read dumbing of age in years but does willis still have the thing where he is insanely mad about his fundie parents and it pervades every single aspect of his writing?

Yep

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

It's basically the only good part, it could stand to pervade more aspects of his writing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

why would you do that?

beside didn't the author lose interest once the cat stopped being abused relentlessly on every page?

There's also like, a christmas game or something? He keeps doing these weird multimedia projects, I don't know why

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

someone just really likes 2000-2010 internet okay its not a bad thing

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

actually homestuck is bad

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

except when it is

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grapplejack posted:

There's also like, a christmas game or something? He keeps doing these weird multimedia projects, I don't know why

He views Prequel less as a web comic with fans he has an obligation to and more as a sandbox for him to sharpen his marketing and web development skills and try new ambitious things that delay his updates by months. But at least he learned from the experience!

He's basically the polar opposite of the Schlock Mercenary guy

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

PetraCore posted:

In Dumbing of Age Carla is just plain a trans woman and Ultra Car is an old cartoon she likes and she's mostly there to popcorn at everyone else's angsty drama and then go play roller derby.

I haven't read DoA in like a year so maybe she's been sucked into the drama since then.
i can never follow the titles and changing universes of willis's stuff so doa may not be the one i saw in the other thread, but now i'm honestly wondering if i dreamt the scene where carla goes "this is who i am" and removes her clothing to reveal the human-shaped... underside of a car with like metal plates and things. i do smoke some weed

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

did i dream of willis? could this happen? feasibly it could. i've dreamt about dresden kodak before

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If that's anywhere it's in Shortpacked.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think that more-or-less happened, yeah. Ultra Car was in a relationship with Malaya, and Malaya wanted sex, which Ultra Car was completely uninterested in and not really equipped for. This went on until...

okay you know what I don't actually want to explain what happened there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

fauna posted:

i can never follow the titles and changing universes of willis's stuff so doa may not be the one i saw in the other thread, but now i'm honestly wondering if i dreamt the scene where carla goes "this is who i am" and removes her clothing to reveal the human-shaped... underside of a car with like metal plates and things. i do smoke some weed

It was Shortpacked, when Ultra Car revealed herself to Malaya she (or idk, it, pronouns are weird when discussing a goddamn asexual car in a female body, I'm going with her) had not a car underside, but basically a Barbie doll flat featureless body under her clothes.. Then what Rand Brittain said went down and UC figured out it was real easy to satisfy Malaya sexually with her giant comical robot hand so then that whole plot was resolved.

I think Willis imagined he was doing some asexual representation storyline but considering it's a goddamn robot car in a robot body the comparison breaks down and sounds kind of insulting now that I think about it... but gently caress it, I'm not ace, maybe it was okay.

Also your "this is who I am" memory may also be associated/mixed up with QC's strip where Claire, a trans woman, undresses in front of blank slate Marten and says "this is me".

I know all this without even double checking a wiki or anything, I cannot purge it from my mind despite years having passed and I hate myself for it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's possible someone made a crossover parody comic with Ultra-Claire and Martlayen.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

officially loving the nasty red dogs

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Necropolis is back and maybe updating regularly* again?! :siren:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oneiros posted:

Necropolis is back and maybe updating regularly* again?! :siren:

2020 off to a great start :dance:

which means it's all downhill from here

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, seeing that page in my RSS feed was my biggest surprise yet this year. That comic hasn't posted a page since mid 2018, and had been spotty since early 2016 -- that's the path of a comic that's long gone.

I can certainly read "I'm confident I'm ready to return to this comic" into the power move of dropping a page out of nowhere on January 1st. But is there any other reason you say "maybe updating regularly*", Oneiros?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Speaking of hiatused comics, Der-Shing Helmer says she's going to be updating The Meek 2-3x a week for 2020, since it's her main priority for the year.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
There's a pretty sweet bong in QC today.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Haha, welp, that's where I expected things to go in Monster Pulse, but it still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Hello, Webcomics Thread for Liking Webcomics In. Tomorrow, my webcomic, Blasphemous Saga Fantasy, turns 9. The first page was posted on January 3rd, 2011. As of tomorrow, it will have reached 854 pages.

If you like adventure stories, goofy monsters, and fun, you'll probably like it. If the title's put you off in the past, maybe check it out anyway; you might be pleasantly surprised. If you used to read it and haven't caught up in a while, maybe check it out again. People seem to like it, so you might too! If you want to see some pages from it without even leaving the forums, I made a big promotional effortpost earlier in this thread that you can look at.

The feedback I have gotten from SA over the years has been super valuable; I think that if I had not been posting about BSF here in 2011, I wouldn't have kept doing it. So I always appreciate feedback too, both positive and negative! So thank you all for helping make BSF what it is, and if you do read it, I hope you have enjoyed it for the past almost-a-decade.