Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vegetable posted:

Did you tell the recruiter that full story? I mean yeah your old boss was a total dick but his story isn’t inaccurate. Having agreed to cancel your vacation you then took it without notice.

It was a really lovely situation and I’m glad you got out of it (and have an even newer job now — congrats!) but I’d be interested in how hiring managers respond to a story like that.

Katt posted:

This is Sweden

So that changes a lot. But if it was in the US I would definitely appreciate that someone was honest and honestly explaining a situation like that like Katt did with mainly giving the facts (a lot of people would try to paint a Villain vs Saint which would raise red flags). He said he put in the vacation notice with plenty of time and it got approved so I am not super concerned about "How would you deal with this in the future", but I'd want to make sure it wasn't part of a larger history of having problems working within a team. Nothing Katt has said has indicated it would be. poo poo happens and bad managers exist, an occurrence like this isn't a huge red flag. A string of "I left because my manager was a dick" definitely is a thing though.

This thread is generally pessimistic, but the truth is I've never worked with any manager who didn't want people taking their PTO. Burn out is real and most of us are straight-up goaled on retention. Working people to where they quit is usually a really bad, expensive thing and managers try to avoid it. So there's nothing wrong with someone saying they left because they didn't get their allotted PTO (and in Europe this is like 10x more relevant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

This thread is generally pessimistic, but the truth is I've never worked with any manager who didn't want people taking their PTO. Burn out is real and most of us are straight-up goaled on retention. Working people to where they quit is usually a really bad, expensive thing and managers try to avoid it. So there's nothing wrong with someone saying they left because they didn't get their allotted PTO (and in Europe this is like 10x more relevant).

It's double expensive because when you work/frustrate people into quitting, the people who quit first are the people who have other options--i.e. your best people.

I think you're drat fortunate to have never worked for a petty tyrant manager though.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

For more details this was a painting/decorating company. It had about 12 workers of which one was the owner. It had in total 2 painters with journeyman's licenses of which I was one. The owner never took his journeyman's license.

He insisted on hiring more and more cheaper laborers and have them do the work and then sending the Journeyman painters to fix it afterwards. This sort of work was hell on us because we also had our own work to take care of, and fixing someone else s work is just not something you ask of a journeyman on sheer principle. Most of the laborers had extremely limited experience and no training but were left to work unsupervised with the understanding that after inspection the protocol would be given to a journeyman to fix afterwards.

In our business companies are supposed to only have journeyman workers period. At legitimate companies laborers are pretty rare and under the collective bargaining deal laborers are not supposed to paint at all but instead do limited and simple support work. A company can also have apprentices (maximum 1 apprentice per 7 journeymen)

Less serious companies will have fewer journeymen and more laborers/apprentices because they are cheaper.

After I quit I started my own business and ran that for a few years. I then used my companys money to take night time classes in courses like business finance, law, bookkeeping, ledgers etc. Since I could file all of those as business expenses they were a lot cheaper this way.

I then used the degrees I earned and the experience gained to apply for a job as a calculator at a third party company that calculates expenses on major construction projects. Because I wanted to get away from physical work while I still had my health. The pay is also about 50% higher and the benefits fantastic. Which is the job is just got. Despite my old bosses best efforts.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
I know this a complex question with a lot of qualifiers, but how long should I continue a job hunt before just taking an entry level position so I don't have a long gap on my resume? I spent around the last ten years in middle and upper management roles working in non-profit Social Services, and right now I feel like I can't get a call back for positions that are considerably lower in responsibility and pay than my previous jobs.

I left my last job and moved out of the area after my wife got her doctorate and secured a much higher paying position than I was earning in the nonprofit field. Buuut her job is in an expensive part of California and we could only afford to live in a more rural area with a large Spanish speaking population. Unsurprisingly just about every social services position here requires applicants to be bilingual, and I haven't even bothered applying to those.

My options at this point seem to be taking a long break to become fluent in Spanish (and I don't know how competitive I'll be against native speakers), taking an entry level position, or finding a position with a 2 hour commute (please no). Our money is tight but not critical right now, I'm more concerned about my long term job prospects, and how discouraged the whole process is making me.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Apply to the bilingual positions, it may not be a deal breaker at all with your experience and background. It's possible you are applying to low of positions to be taken seriously. Check cal government jobs for anything that could be relevant.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ClothHat posted:

I know this a complex question with a lot of qualifiers, but how long should I continue a job hunt before just taking an entry level position so I don't have a long gap on my resume? I spent around the last ten years in middle and upper management roles working in non-profit Social Services, and right now I feel like I can't get a call back for positions that are considerably lower in responsibility and pay than my previous jobs.

I left my last job and moved out of the area after my wife got her doctorate and secured a much higher paying position than I was earning in the nonprofit field. Buuut her job is in an expensive part of California and we could only afford to live in a more rural area with a large Spanish speaking population. Unsurprisingly just about every social services position here requires applicants to be bilingual, and I haven't even bothered applying to those.

My options at this point seem to be taking a long break to become fluent in Spanish (and I don't know how competitive I'll be against native speakers), taking an entry level position, or finding a position with a 2 hour commute (please no). Our money is tight but not critical right now, I'm more concerned about my long term job prospects, and how discouraged the whole process is making me.

How long is your gap right now? The move and story is a good tale, but yeah, it sounds like you're in a tough spot. If you took a job with a long commute could you guys possibly move later to split the difference/have good mass transit options? A long commute is a lot easier if you only need to do it for a few months.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

Apply to the bilingual positions, it may not be a deal breaker at all with your experience and background. It's possible you are applying to low of positions to be taken seriously. Check cal government jobs for anything that could be relevant.

Can anyone else confirm if this is a good idea? I've been reading about overinflated job requirements, and seeing plenty myself; but this seems like such a basic part of the position that if I came in for an interview and dropped this I would just annoy everyone involved for wasting their time, and that would be it.

I've been applying to the gov jobs and made it to the final rounds for one, but they have a very long turnaround. I think the last one had a 7 month period between applying and being turned down.

Lockback posted:

How long is your gap right now? The move and story is a good tale, but yeah, it sounds like you're in a tough spot. If you took a job with a long commute could you guys possibly move later to split the difference/have good mass transit options? A long commute is a lot easier if you only need to do it for a few months.

It's been close to six months, though it is the only gap I have in my resume in about 15 years. Moving would be tough because we sold our last home and bought one here when we moved. I was under the impression you have to wait to sell your home for 2 years in California to avoid some ugly taxes (but I'm open to hearing that I'm mistaken here!). My wife would kill me if I suggested this, but I think your suggestion might be my best option if we get more desperate.

Mass transit options are just the bus. I seriously considered that since it's way easier on my back then driving, but it would make a commute around 3-3.5 hours.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My experience is that if bilingual is listed as a job requirement then it is a hard requirement. You might get by with "I took Spanish in college and am not really fluent but I can follow along a bit and will definitely brush up" but you won't get by with "I don't know any language but English at all." YMMV.

A lot of listings say "bilingual preferred" which usually indicates not a hard requirement and you should go ahead and apply, but you'll still be handicapped relative to candidates who are bilingual.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just be upfront about it on your cover letter/email. No harm done if they pass over you, but you may get a bite based on your experience and you could use more chances in your situation

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

My experience is that if bilingual is listed as a job requirement then it is a hard requirement. You might get by with "I took Spanish in college and am not really fluent but I can follow along a bit and will definitely brush up" but you won't get by with "I don't know any language but English at all." YMMV.

A lot of listings say "bilingual preferred" which usually indicates not a hard requirement and you should go ahead and apply, but you'll still be handicapped relative to candidates who are bilingual.
My experience has been they list bilingual as a requirement so everyone's on the same job description, but it's only a hard requirement if there's nobody in the office who is bilingual. Depending on the job, you may only need 1-2 people who speak Spanish in the office before it doesn't really matter if the rest of the team does or not. But it'd get messy if you had separate bilingual and English job descriptions and roles.

Apply and explain in your cover letter.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you don't apply nothing will happen. If you apply, maybe something happens. Unless you've got something else to use your time on, why not just reach out and see?

Maybe too they refer you to other jobs or people, if they like you but absolutely need Spanish.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Today on the lovely recruiter front:

quote:

In order to proceed ASAP, please confirm that you:

·       would like me to represent you to ._ __(Client name & Job Title)_

·      
·       agree to a salary of __$80K+3 weeks vacation and NO bonus

·       can interview with 3 days of notice
·       can start Immediately(Jan 2020)

Also, please:

·        provide a 5-8 bullet ‘profile’ that addresses your most relevant experience to this requirement.

·        provide a customized revised resume in MS Word format that includes details to support/reflect the profile above

Bonus points for advertising the job 40mins from the actual business. I loving hate job hunting.

Honey Im Homme fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 20, 2019

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So I have an upcoming interview for a position that is pretty promising, but the interview setup seems weird. I'm going to be meeting with 6 different people in succession for half an hour each which seems like I'll be answering the same question a lot of times. Anyone have any experience with interviews like this and advice at how to keep my answers from sounding stale the sixth time?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

neaden posted:

So I have an upcoming interview for a position that is pretty promising, but the interview setup seems weird. I'm going to be meeting with 6 different people in succession for half an hour each which seems like I'll be answering the same question a lot of times. Anyone have any experience with interviews like this and advice at how to keep my answers from sounding stale the sixth time?

This setup has been pretty normal in my limited experience (for tech jobs). Either individuals or groups of 2 (or rarely 3) for 30 minutes to an hour each. I assume so they don't have to give up much of their day. They won't know what you told the people before you, by the end you should have a polished presentation for those questions. Fine tune as needed if you get a bad or good reaction to something. I don't feel like it's stale because I'm in the groove by then, and they have no idea. Anyway, they won't all ask the same things and you can spin things in different directions if you know a certain person is interested in something. Some places split up areas of questioning between the interviewers, that also reduces duplication.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 20, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

neaden posted:

It sucks and I tell my other management teams not to do that because everyone really just asks the same thing for the first 15 minutes. Hiring is super important, find the drat time.

My advice to you, the candidate, is to have really polished, tight answers to some standard questions "Why do you want to work here", "What experience do you have with <KEY_THINGS_COMPANY_DOES>?" If you know you have some real weaknesses, have some good responses there that can hold up without much digging (ie, don't outright lie but use phrases like "I have exposure to those technologies", "I've worked with that and really liked it!", etc.) They won't have time to deep dive so you can usually skim across the surface if you have something prepared.

Don't get rattled and DO NOT show boredom even if its the dumbest interview in the world. In 30 minutes people will only really remember a couple things, so if you can crack a good joke or make a good point you've probably won that round.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is there a chance that past applications can hurt consideration for other jobs at the same company? I've had 4 applications in to a company over 2 months, and my most recent one was rejected within hours. I'm tailoring my materials to each position, but I feel like they're picking up on the desperation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Baronash posted:

Is there a chance that past applications can hurt consideration for other jobs at the same company? I've had 4 applications in to a company over 2 months, and my most recent one was rejected within hours. I'm tailoring my materials to each position, but I feel like they're picking up on the desperation.

How big of a company? I'm guessing the same reasons they said no the first time is why they keep saying no. Smaller company then yeah, they probably keep noticing you keep applying. Larger company they may not depending on if these resumes are going to different orgs or not.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Goodpancakes posted:

Just be upfront about it on your cover letter/email. No harm done if they pass over you, but you may get a bite based on your experience and you could use more chances in your situation

Thank you for the advice, I've been putting out cover letters with a variation of Eric the Muave's first quote on it for Spanish required positions. It's not an offer yet, but I'm getting interviews after doing that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For what it's worth, if you live somewhere that English/Spanish bilinguality is a frequent requirement then strongly consider spending the time and money on becoming fluent in Spanish. It can be a game changer in some careers.

(and bilinguality is getting increasingly important in most of the US)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A friend of mine that is an interpreter gets recruiters begging him to apply for bilingual jobs in all kinds of engineering fields that he isn't qualified for but has superficial experience in from interpreting. I imagine it depends on the language how in demand it is, but international companies really value people that can do a job and communicate with them and the locals. Running everything through an interpreter/translator really slows things down. And they are saving money on an interpreter so they can afford to pay you more (ideally anyway).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Baronash posted:

Yup. If they're different jobs, it really makes me wonder which job you actually want.

I actually had one guy submit resumes to every posting I had. After a couple rejections, he changed his name and started putting his middle name on the resumes. I don't recommend doing that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

neaden posted:

I did an all day interview with 6 people and had almost no overlapping questions. One was a business guy, another my manager, one a materials SME, another an anodizing SME, etc.

Agree with Lock acts advice regardless of if they execute it well (like mine did) or ask you all the same questions.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 22, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It’s fun to nail interviews

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm not really sure where to put this, but this seems like the appropriate place.

Recently I've been trying to get an IT job in a completely different country. To prepare I took language classes, focused more on coding during my current job. I'm okay at both now. Can have regular conversations with the natives and write decent code that compiles without (too many) errors. After sending out hundreds of applications for jobs that I 80%/100% fit the requirements for, one of the companies got back to me. They want to set something up, give me an coding challenge and test my knowledge of their language. So I decided to re-read exactly what they're expecting of me and while I do feel like I could possibly pass those tests, there is a decent enough chance of failure. In theory, I could pass the challenge if I started brushing up my skills every day until the interview... Their mail, however, said that if I want to change my application to a different opening that may fit my skills better, then that's possible. After giving their career page another look through, I found something similar that I do meet all the requirements for except experience (They want someone with 5 years, I got 3.5).

So I'm kinda wondering what would be the best step to take. Risk loving up the interview for the difficult position or try to apply for the other position and hope I can convince them the 1.5 experience gap that I'm missing won't be a hindrance. Would switching applications pop more red flags?

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
If you have 100% of the skills listed on the resume aside from the 5 years of experience thing, they're probably not going to care about being 1.5 years short.

As far as switching applications goes, I once interviewed for a full-time position and during the interview they basically told me I wouldn't get it but they could forward my resume to a similar contract position. I ended up getting the contract position and was hired full-time less than a year later into a position that was equivalent in title and pay to the one I originally interviewed for. This poo poo can work out sometimes.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Archer666 posted:

I'm not really sure where to put this, but this seems like the appropriate place.

Recently I've been trying to get an IT job in a completely different country. To prepare I took language classes, focused more on coding during my current job. I'm okay at both now. Can have regular conversations with the natives and write decent code that compiles without (too many) errors. After sending out hundreds of applications for jobs that I 80%/100% fit the requirements for, one of the companies got back to me. They want to set something up, give me an coding challenge and test my knowledge of their language. So I decided to re-read exactly what they're expecting of me and while I do feel like I could possibly pass those tests, there is a decent enough chance of failure. In theory, I could pass the challenge if I started brushing up my skills every day until the interview... Their mail, however, said that if I want to change my application to a different opening that may fit my skills better, then that's possible. After giving their career page another look through, I found something similar that I do meet all the requirements for except experience (They want someone with 5 years, I got 3.5).

So I'm kinda wondering what would be the best step to take. Risk loving up the interview for the difficult position or try to apply for the other position and hope I can convince them the 1.5 experience gap that I'm missing won't be a hindrance. Would switching applications pop more red flags?

5 years experience is something HR slaps on every one of my job postings. I'll take any recent relevant experience in lieu of 5 years. I suspect most places are the same.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I accepted a job last week and I start at the beginning of February. Meanwhile a different job invited me in for an interview tomorrow.

Job 2 is slightly more centered on my interests. Both would likely pay about the same. Cost of living would be slightly cheaper in Job 2. Long term career is likely slightly better at job 2.

I am excited for job 1 and job 2.

I will interview tomorrow for job 2 and reevaluate if I move along in the process.

Thread: please tell me if this is appropriate or not. I feel like I should stick with job 1. “Dance with the gal that brought ya” and all that. But if that’s the case then I feel like I should not bother interviewing at job 2.

E: job 1 is permanent after a probationary period. Job 2 is a 12 month term but basically everyone gets hired permanent after that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Interviewing at Job 2 is fine. If nothing else it'll re-enforce what your market looks like.

If you do quit Job 1 quickly it will probably burn you at that company, which depending on the industry can have ramifications. It's such a pain to have to restart the hiring process, and it dings the hiring manager's retention rate, so if someone tells me "Yeah that guy quit after like 2 weeks" it would be a huge red mark if I am considering hiring him. That's not, like, a moral argument not to do it but I'm just explaining why there are effects on that.

It happens though. Usually I tell people to do it if the 2nd job is considerably better. I'm not sure if that's true here and if there are truly a push I'd honestly probably nudge you in the direction of going with Job1 just so you don't burn a bridge. Up to you though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thank your for the perspective and points to think about.

They are both public sector jobs. Job 2 is for a major metro and job 1 is for a smaller suburb community about 20 minutes away.

So they aren’t the same organization but the public sector folk in my field often kind of move between the communities in the greater region. So some minor amount of risk.

Lots to think about.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also it’s like a 2.5 hour drive each way.

Would it be burning bridges to cancel the interview the day of?

I know there will be other candidates because they reserved so many time slots.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

5 hours of driving sucks but I would still take the interview even if burning bridges wasn't a consideration. Taking interviews is almost always +EV. It helps you gauge your market value and it helps you practice the skill of interviewing.

Separately answering your actual question, if you wanted to cancel it you should have done it at least a few days before, yeah. I wouldn't call it burning a bridge but look at it from their perspective, a day-of cancellation is always annoying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also it’s like a 2.5 hour drive each way.

Would it be burning bridges to cancel the interview the day of?

I know there will be other candidates because they reserved so many time slots.

Cancelling an interview is fine. I much prefer people do that than come in and spend both our time on something they aren't interested. A couple days ahead is better but still. That said, even if you don't think you'd take the job but still want to test the water, that's fine. Don't feel bad about doing that.

Eric the Mauve posted:

5 hours of driving sucks but I would still take the interview even if burning bridges wasn't a consideration. Taking interviews is almost always +EV. It helps you gauge your market value and it helps you practice the skill of interviewing.

Basically this.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've known people that have taken flights to interviews they weren't serious about pursuing.

A few turned it into a long weekend vacation and got to experience a city they hadn't been in and/or were considering moving to anyways.
And at least one ended up taking the job and moving across the country for it (was worth the money/compensation/etc).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

amethystdragon posted:

I've known people that have taken flights to interviews they weren't serious about pursuing.

A few turned it into a long weekend vacation and got to experience a city they hadn't been in and/or were considering moving to anyways.
And at least one ended up taking the job and moving across the country for it (was worth the money/compensation/etc).

I did this and ended up taking the job.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Should I even bother with tech recruiters? Multiple firms have pointed me at a single listing that I unceremoniously received a rejection letter from on new years. If I don't even know where I'm being applied to and when would I be better off just going on by myself?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dork457 posted:

Should I even bother with tech recruiters? Multiple firms have pointed me at a single listing that I unceremoniously received a rejection letter from on new years. If I don't even know where I'm being applied to and when would I be better off just going on by myself?

I don’t bother with them myself after humouring them in the past to the point of coming into their offices to meet with them. All I got out of that was some substandard coffee.

The turnover rate for recruiting firms is so high the person you’re talking to in January probably won’t be with the company by June and will be out of the industry altogether by December. So there’s really no point to “building a relationship” or whatever other nonsense they say.

I’ve been working in the tech industry for almost 20 years now across several jobs and I have gotten a meaningful interview only once through a third party recruiter (all over the phone for that one). Everything else was mostly through contacts or tracking down the actual hiring manager through other means to get the resume to him directly.

Tl;dr: third party recruiters are a useless time suck imo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

On the other side I have hire a lot through one firm where I have a really high % of people they sent me vs I've interviewed. They've took their time to actually figure out what I'm looking for and generally find the right types of profiles. They are way better than any other that I've used.

So if you're using sucky ones, you can also try your hand somewhere else.

Also, using a recruiter shouldn't preclude you from looking for jobs on your own.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I’m sure there are good ones I’m probably being too harsh tbh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Recruiters are just as subject to Sturgeon's Law as anything else.

Plus the additional problem that the bad ones are the ones that carpetbomb, so 99.9% of the emails you get are from the 90% of recruiters who are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

priznat posted:

Yeah I’m sure there are good ones I’m probably being too harsh tbh
The ones that are good are amazing. Use your network to find quality recruiters and work with them when you're job hunting. I wouldn't invest too much time in a recruiter that cold-called me.