Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lotion Tester posted:

My peeve is the 84 hour work week. I could survive on the wages from 20 hours a week because I have no family to support and the cost of living here is quite low, but this state has no labor laws so 12x7 and 16x7 jobs are the only thing that exist. All or nothing.

Where the hell do you live? Jesus that’s insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Iowa. All of the extra hours ruled back when I was in my 20s, but I'm way too old for that poo poo now. Have to alternate between working until I physically cannot and being unemployed. And of course every place I work for is mystified about why I'm leaving.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also gently caress that standard practice at so many places to have the whole crew skate by with 39.5 hours and only the managers actually counted as full time.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also gently caress that standard practice at so many places to have the whole crew skate by with 39.5 hours and only the managers actually counted as full time.

Fuuuuuuck that and gently caress everyone who does it.

As for over 40 hours: I've had some ladder climbers who would work 60 hours a week and only get paid for 40 so they'd be first in line for a promotion. It always works because managers are either stupid or looking for desperate people, but all of their work completely sucks for months on end because of course they're exhausted and making constant mistakes.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I had a really great interview with a design firm a friend works at, lots of praise for my portfolio and got along really well with the Creative Director. Wasn't going to cross my fingers, but leaving that place made me feel so hopeful that I had finally landed something. A week or so later, when they told me to expect a call, nothing. Complete silence from them from then on out.

I found out through my friend that one of the CEO's kids just graduated from college and got placed right into the role. Didn't even have to interview. Apparently they were "intimately familiar" with the brands the company worked with because their dad sometimes talked about work at home.

Nepotism can suck a big one. Same with HR departments who know about this sort of poo poo but still go through the motions of holding interviews. Stop wasting both of our time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Riatsala posted:

Fuuuuuuck that and gently caress everyone who does it.

As for over 40 hours: I've had some ladder climbers who would work 60 hours a week and only get paid for 40 so they'd be first in line for a promotion. It always works because managers are either stupid or looking for desperate people, but all of their work completely sucks for months on end because of course they're exhausted and making constant mistakes.

Also, a related restaurant industry peeve is rushing the staff out the door after close while bitching that close is never done properly. The fast/cheap/good triangle is applicable here, boss.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, a related restaurant industry peeve is rushing the staff out the door after close while bitching that close is never done properly. The fast/cheap/good triangle is applicable here, boss.

Ugh, I do not miss this.

"It should not take you more than a half hour to close!"

"Why is this place such a shitshow every open?"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i hate that everyone in America either gets overworked, or given 32 hours a week so they can't get benefits, or both

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Jan 3, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

when i started my job two years ago they made me be there from 8 to 5 with a half an hour break for lunch five days a week and paid me for 40 hours a week. do that math lol. then they started paying the full 42.5 hours but only at base hourly rate bc, they said, that's the scheduled time! it isn't overtime it's the regular dayly schedule so why would we pay overtime! it's not extra!

i raised enough fuss and pointed out enough of the state labor laws that they aren't doing that anymore at least lol but i still loving -- even at time and a half i make $15 an hour and they require 42.5 hours plus 4-5 hours on every other Saturday and im too old and mentally ill to handle this much time spent at work every week tbh

today i got told with zero notice that they needed me to stop my actual work, skip taking a lunch break, and spend 12 til 5:30 driving to another state to pick up a car and drive it back. i am finally home but i feel sick and i hate it

i hate that everyone in America either gets overworked, or given 32 hours a week so they can't get benefits, or both

I know there are some exemptions, but I know a place I worked with wasn't paying overtime (before I worked there) and got busted for it, everyone got a huge check for unpaid overtime.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

i sincerely hope the state never actually investigates my workplace because they'll 100% think i whistleblew on them and my job will end lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My last job was totally open about the fact that they removed people from the schedule at 39 hours/week. I often had to work shifts for people who weren't allowed to work anymore that week because they were at 30-some-odd hours. g r i f t e r s

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I worked for the worst loving security company in the world for multiple years despite the poo poo pay and poo poo benefits, but it finally paid off because I managed to get into the hospital's union as a janitor, notoriously difficult to get into because tons of people apply to every position, and thats if it even goes external.

Now I spend most of my breaks trying to radicalize Security into unionizing but the only people left are too burned out to muster the energy :smith: the company is pulling the "you're technically part time so you dont get benefits" even though they work full time hours. That company only exists because they hire people too desperate to raise a commotion

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

When the handrail on the escalator is faster than the stairs so you have to keep readjusting your grip!!

You should be walking anyway instead of standing still so as to move faster. Human power + machine power (cyborg...?) ftw.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Crimpolioni posted:

You should be walking anyway instead of standing still so as to move faster. Human power + machine power (cyborg...?) ftw.

Sometimes my legs hurt :(

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

Sometimes my legs hurt :(

Oh very well, you may ride. As long as you're not one of the people standing in the middle with one hand on each rail. Peeve; people standing in the middle of the escalator with one hand on each rail.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who stand on the moving walkways in airports. If someone could invent a way to make it move people who aren't moving backwards but speed you up proportional to how much energy you're putting in, I'd be all for them getting the nobel prize. They are not for checking your phone while your luggage blocks the rest of the path. They are for people who actually need to get across this giant loving terminal faster than their legs can do on their own. There is plenty of space around them if you want to take your time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crimpolioni posted:

Oh very well, you may ride. As long as you're not one of the people standing in the middle with one hand on each rail. Peeve; people standing in the middle of the escalator with one hand on each rail.

Is this a thing people do what the gently caress

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Danaru posted:

Is this a thing people do what the gently caress

The worst part is you naturally assume they're having trouble standing and feel sympathy for them but then when they reach the end they just stride away like a powerwalker. gently caress! Tricked again.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who stand on the moving walkways in airports. If someone could invent a way to make it move people who aren't moving backwards but speed you up proportional to how much energy you're putting in, I'd be all for them getting the nobel prize. They are not for checking your phone while your luggage blocks the rest of the path. They are for people who actually need to get across this giant loving terminal faster than their legs can do on their own. There is plenty of space around them if you want to take your time.

You're joking, right? They are also for people who are not fully able-bodied but who don't yet use a wheelchair, but still have to get through the fifty drat miles of terminal hallway to reach their gate.

This crops up in a lot of ways so I guess it's my pet peeve: not all disabilities are obvious, and it's rarely safe to assume anything about a person based on how they look.

eta but yeah the luggage thing, I'll grant that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

TofuDiva posted:

You're joking, right? They are also for people who are not fully able-bodied but who don't yet use a wheelchair, but still have to get through the fifty drat miles of terminal hallway to reach their gate.

This crops up in a lot of ways so I guess it's my pet peeve: not all disabilities are obvious, and it's rarely safe to assume anything about a person based on how they look.

eta but yeah the luggage thing, I'll grant that.

Are you joking? Even in your scenario, it fits what my peeve was: people who use the walkways for reasons other than "their legs can't get them there on their own". That includes disabled people. I was pretty clear on the peeve being about people blocking the things just so they can gently caress around on their phones and block people who are using them for their intended purpose.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Jan 4, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can people still stand on the STAND side, if there is one? :ohdear:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

sure, but people knowing and obeying the rules is extremely rare, especially at an airport, so this is fantasy talk imho.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

If everyone agrees on which side that is, yes. So no.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crimpolioni posted:

If everyone agrees on which side that is, yes. So no.
There are usually signs...but yeah, not everyone follows those.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Are you joking? Even in your scenario, it fits what my peeve was: people who use the walkways for reasons other than "their legs can't get them there on their own". That includes disabled people. I was pretty clear on the peeve being about people blocking the things just so they can gently caress around on their phones and block people who are using them for their intended purpose.

Welp, that's not what you said - you said "people who stand on the moving walkways in airports," and you went on to talk about the walkways' intended purpose. If that's not what you meant, it wasn't at all clear. It sounded pretty judgy, and I guess I just get tired of people assuming things about other people with no data.

Basically the walkways are there for anyone who wants to use them, whether they are disabled, just plain tired, or their shoes hurt, or they need to catch their breath or check their phone or they just want to, or whatever. It isn't up to me or to anybody else to judge whether they belong there.

But enough about that (from me, anyhow). Have a relevant Ballard Street doggo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

as long as you don't mind getting shouldered aside for blocking the walkways for no good reason, we're fine. If you want to check your phone and not get body checked, sit down for 30 seconds on the many seats off to the side. If you are disabled, use the things but don't totally block it. It's not that hard.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

if your complaint is solely and only about people BLOCKING the moving walkways, it would be much clearer and easier to avoid being accused of ableism if the first full and entire sentence in your complaint weren't "People who stand on the moving walkways in airports." followed immediately by "If someone could invent a way to make it move people who aren't moving backwards". you could try opening with "People who block the moving walkways in airports" and follow it up by wishing someone would invent a way for it to displace people who are blocking it, instead of directing your complaint explicitly, literally, in so many words, towards people standing on it at all in any way, and then getting touchy when people point out that you wrote something ableist

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thank you for the post critique i will definitely take it to heart

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Every airport I've been in will transport people with mobility issues to their gate on the back of those little open car things they have.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Normally, my pet peeve would be having two jobs.

Tonight, my pet peeve is lovely managers and entitled shitforbrains customers. Tonight, having two jobs is great, because it means I could tell them to gently caress off and walk out flipping the metaphorical double birds without immediately worrying about what I'm gonna eat tomorrow.

Tonight, I feel like a king.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When buying something you don't want makes the thing you do want cheaper.

I want a souvlaki and chips for dinner, and together they'd be $17. But if I add a can of softdrink to that it's $16.40 total.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

When buying something you don't want makes the thing you do want cheaper.

I want a souvlaki and chips for dinner, and together they'd be $17. But if I add a can of softdrink to that it's $16.40 total.

Comcast does this with their bundling and I don't get it at all.

Internet and Cable? $180!

Throw in a phone line that you'll never use? $140 for all three!

idk if these numbers are right but you get the idea

e; Come to think of it my car insurance does it too. My car insurance on it's own is more expensive alone than when I bundle it with my renter's insurance. As in I pay less total for having renters + Car insurance than I do if I only had car insurance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I get that all the time with fast food. Because of my stomach issues I can't have very much food in one meal, so I usually end up getting a bigger but cheaper meal and then throwing half of it out or giving it to someone else. It's a bummer because I hate wasting food but I hate wasting money more, so the latter usually wins out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Joey Freshwater posted:

Comcast does this with their bundling and I don't get it at all.

Internet and Cable? $180!

Throw in a phone line that you'll never use? $140 for all three!

It's a trap anyway because it ramps up to $260 after 12 months.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a trap anyway because it ramps up to $260 after 12 months.

And that’s when I’ll switch back to having internet only. The only reason I had cable was sports and it was cheaper than internet + HULU Tv or whatever. And neither of the sports i watch religiously are on right now so idk why I even have it

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

And that’s when I’ll switch back to having internet only. The only reason I had cable was sports and it was cheaper than internet + HULU Tv or whatever. And neither of the sports i watch religiously are on right now so idk why I even have it

Those type of deals usually come with a two year contract so you get stuck with a full year of full price.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Song parodies, and indeed parodies in general, are never funny, stop doing them

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

Those type of deals usually come with a two year contract so you get stuck with a full year of full price.

Thing about Comcast is that you can change your plan whenever you want, as long as you don’t cancel you’re not charged a penalty for changing.

So you can change to one of their contract-less plans and then cancel it the following month.

This was spelled out to me by someone who worked in the local Xfinity store. Flat out said she hated Comcast and would help me switch plans if I wanted when the time came.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

Song parodies, and indeed parodies in general, are never funny, stop doing them

Movie parodies can be good, just never watch any "____ Movie" version aside from Scary Movie (at least 1 and 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Movie parodies can be good, just never watch any "____ Movie" version aside from Scary Movie (at least 1 and 3).

Galaxy Quest is a parody :science: