Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

as a die hard Snyder cut guy I stand in solidarity with them

hell yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3iuBBASkA&t=233s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Please tell me the objectively good qualities of Battleship.

Even if you think Avengers is poo poo, that doesn't make a different lovely movie better.

E: VVV I'm not saying Avengers is high cinema, I'm saying Battleship does not even rise to Avengers level mediocrity.

it looks far better than avengers for one. the part where they literally play battleship is very funny. implicit criticism of military when they start an interplanetary war by being stupidly aggressive, undermining the hilariously overwrought uss Missouri veterans montage later in the film. the killer wheels were really cool. the opening was funnier than all of the quips in the entire runtime of avengers

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

it looks far better than avengers for one. the part where they literally play battleship is very funny. implicit criticism of military when they start an interplanetary war by being stupidly aggressive, undermining the hilariously overwrought uss Missouri veterans montage later in the film. the killer wheels were really cool. the opening was funnier than all of the quips in the entire runtime of avengers

all of that is subjective

that's my whole point, saying one movie is "objectively" better than another is stupid (particularly when they're both popcorn blockbuster poo poo and not "cinema")

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good point I'll make sure to go out of my way to see Battleship

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

STAR WARS

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Jan 2, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

all of that is subjective

that's my whole point, saying one movie is "objectively" better than another is stupid (particularly when they're both popcorn blockbuster poo poo and not "cinema")

gently caress off. if your beef is the word he used then say that, don’t ask for clarification you never wanted in the first place

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

homes that is literally the only topic you are explicitly not allowed to discuss in this forum

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

gently caress off. if your beef is the word he used then say that, don’t ask for clarification you never wanted in the first place

I did say that!

WampaLord posted:

My favorite CineD memory was SMG stating that Battleship (the movie based on the board game) was an objectively better movie than The Avengers and multiple acolytes of his immediately agreeing.

anyway, i'm halfway through Netflix Witcher and the toss a coin remix is stuck in my head forever now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g4jaIwcS4Q

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SMG is the only good thing about CineD and shitposting or not he's correct about Battleship and Avengers

The Avengers movies have absolutely dogshit direction and cinematography, they're shot like a loving TV show with more expensive CGI. They are on pretty much every level bad movies, there's nothing remotely interesting about them and they barely rise to the level of competent film making.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Battleship’s honestly incredibly good compared to the average summer blockbuster. It’s not classic cinema, but it’s thematically coherent, looks like a movie more than a TV show, the interplay between the leads is varied and funny, the jokes themselves are varied in form and delivery, the cast is diverse on gender and race (that this has to be considered a point in a major Hollywood movie’s favor is... sad), and they drift a loving battleship. It’s the sort of movie that if it came out in the late 90s or a time before we were dunking full-on into whatever abattoir that 2010s blockbuster cinema became as everyone chased the Marvel dollar train, it’d probably have been a big hit and looked back on pretty fondly instead of being a “lol, you made a movie out of a board game” joke.

Marvel gets Tadanobu Asano, and they do nothing with him for two movies and murk him to show how dangerous Cate Blanchett is; Battleship gets him, puts him as co-lead of the movie and gives him an actual arc and plenty of heroic moments where he’s shown to be the more capable, mature leader - just not a guy who would go “the only way out of this is to drift a battleship” because he’s not an insane person who would think of that.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenny Agutter posted:

This reads as mad to me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Please tell me the objectively good qualities of Battleship.

Even if you think Avengers is poo poo, that doesn't make a different lovely movie better.

E: VVV I'm not saying Avengers is high cinema, I'm saying Battleship does not even rise to Avengers level mediocrity.

Battleship's slavish devotion to trying to make the games mechanics translate to film is hilarious, avenger's has literally nothing of value even on that level

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Battleship's slavish devotion to trying to make the games mechanics translate to film is hilarious, avenger's has literally nothing of value even on that level

I love the board game peg missiles the aliens use

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Its baffling to me and yet it also makes sense as the only choice they could have made, I love it in it's audaciousness

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1212766342664859650

some of this is fairly plausible but the notion that Disney would deliberately sabotage one of their biggest franchises just to make Abrams look worse in WB's eyes is so absurd that I'm not buying any of it

excited for the idea of fan conspiracies about secret cuts becoming a thing

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
that’s kinda been around already: After BBC Sherlock ended and everyone hated it a bunch of fans developed a theory that there were clues within the last special that hinted toward a secret special that would be the canonical ending to the show

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenny Agutter posted:

the aliens and how they act is actually relatively well thought out and considered, which is what makes the movie interesting

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Sorry my other favorite CineD memory is SMG obviously not watching any movie he bloviates about for pages and pages of posts.

that's just something he stole from his mentor, slavoj zizek

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

excited for the idea of fan conspiracies about secret cuts becoming a thing

Folding ideas did a pretty good recent video about how director's cuts in contemporary blockbusters both do and do not exist, because shots that didn't make it into the final cut have tons of unfinished CGI in them. To get a director's cut produced would mean going back and paying millions to a CG studio just to get the new cut refinished.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

the aliens and how they act is actually relatively well thought out and considered, which is what makes the movie interesting

iron mans suit is the ultimate liberal fantasy of a system that can identify and kill bad dudes with zero collateral damage. the alien death wheels and AR overlays in battleship say if that kind of technology is possible it will not be developed by humans

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh word?

What a cool insight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah Battleship is a good movie

so was The Kingdom

too bad about the rest of Peter Berg's movies since

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

anyway, i'm halfway through Netflix Witcher and the toss a coin remix is stuck in my head forever now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g4jaIwcS4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4g5NCjaw8o

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

this is good but the CATS Chad should have his bulge digitally erased

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't really hate disingenuous posters like SMG, but it's weird that people would be acolytes of him, it'd be like if a bunch of people followed around Kawalimus in TFF and insisted along with him that the Ravens are Actually poo poo this year.

Then again, I follow getfiscal on Twitter, so I shouldn't judge.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
look, we're all posters and there's no shame in following one of the greatest posters

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's the allure of posting like your smart but only watching stupid loser movies for dunces

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

I don't really hate disingenuous posters like SMG, but it's weird that people would be acolytes of him, it'd be like if a bunch of people followed around Kawalimus in TFF and insisted along with him that the Ravens are Actually poo poo this year.

Then again, I follow getfiscal on Twitter, so I shouldn't judge.

the difference is that i believe Kawalimus is being sincere, he just is pessimistic as gently caress

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I don't think finding someone's content entertaining necessarily implies being an acolyte of theirs

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Folding ideas did a pretty good recent video about how director's cuts in contemporary blockbusters both do and do not exist, because shots that didn't make it into the final cut have tons of unfinished CGI in them. To get a director's cut produced would mean going back and paying millions to a CG studio just to get the new cut refinished.

snyder has deployed his resources to edit and cgi his own cut and hes forced the warner executives to wear ankle monitors in anticipation of their trials at comicon

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I think it's the allure of posting like your smart but only watching stupid loser movies for dunces

those are the only threads that get any posts period. look at this thread, almost nothing but Star Wars and comic book movie discussion

anyone else see monos this year? I loved the cinematography, I feel like I’ve never seen anything like it. it hits the lord of the flies references a bit too on the nose but the hostage’s plight was terrifying and moving. as a piece about how hosed up civil war is for innocents its really depressing. there's no outright statement that the US is involved in whatever conflict is occurring but the hostages nationality and US history in Colombia are hard to ignore

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

this is the pop culture thread and a new Star Wars just came out so that's the way the cookie crumbles

of course, every month a new Disney franchise film is coming out so pop culture on the movie front is just a constant drip of derivative poo poo, yummy yummy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

we could've had a good discussion about CATS but only we brave few had the courage to witness it for ourselves

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cined is just the forum in pattern recognition

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

anyway i kinda want to see hustlers now
https://baddadapocalypse.substack.com/p/stripper-moms-rise-up

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah Battleship is a good movie

so was The Kingdom

too bad about the rest of Peter Berg's movies since

Best thing he’s done is still Friday Night Lights, though, both the movie and getting the TV show off the ground.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

thinking about all of the different versions of the joker in films since the most recent movie is getting buzz over potential nominations

the least plausible part of The Dark Knight is that the boat of white people didn't mash the button on their detonator before the captain was even finished explaining the rules to the trap. gently caress it, the captain would have just slammed it himself as he read the rules in his head

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we could've had a good discussion about CATS but only we brave few had the courage to witness it for ourselves
i watched it with my gf and there were a bunch of people in the theater who were very obviously high. as far as i'm concerned, if you weren't a fan of the Broadway play, going there under the influence of weed, acid, or shrooms is the only way to watch

i thought it started out hilariously bad but it got pretty boring after the fat cat's musical number

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i have a really hard time keeping the names of the new star wars straight

There is rey, finn, po and lala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I finally started watching the witcher, and holy poo poo it's bad, loving atrociously bad, but I kinda love it? a rare bird to hit the mark of so bad it's good TV.