Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Charles posted:

How are they at doing firmware updates?

count on consumer / SOHO gear having a 3-year support life before it's replaced/deprecated by the manufacturer. Exceptions tend to be the stuff targetted at more advanced users like Mikrotik, Ubiquiti, etc. Otherwise if you want long hardware life you're looking at "enterprise"-y stuff like Cisco, Fortinet, Juniper, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CrazyLittle posted:

count on consumer / SOHO gear having a 3-year support life before it's replaced/deprecated by the manufacturer. Exceptions tend to be the stuff targetted at more advanced users like Mikrotik, Ubiquiti, etc. Otherwise if you want long hardware life you're looking at "enterprise"-y stuff like Cisco, Fortinet, Juniper, etc.

I get firmware updates for my Asus from Merlin, but I think it's just branched off the main Asus code. My router is 4-5 years old.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Charles posted:

I get firmware updates for my Asus from Merlin, but I think it's just branched off the main Asus code. My router is 4-5 years old.

Asus-Merlin is a third party firmware not targetted at your average home-user.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CrazyLittle posted:

Asus-Merlin is a third party firmware not targetted at your average home-user.

Right but like I said it's branched off official firmware.

Looks like it's still being sold though.

Not bad for a router introduced in Q1-2 2014 though.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am an illiterate idiot and my new condo is telling me to not buy a router, only a wireless access point as they provide internet service; a router will not work. I am concerned about sharing my wifi but i don't know if this is legit or not.

I would like to hardware my PS4/PC since I am a turbo nerd who will care about the .05 latency in my shooty videogames.

I would also like to hardwire my TV for streaming quality.

I will have various cell phones and tablets wirelessly.

There is an ethernet port in the living room where the TV will be set up....what sort of hardware do i require? The acess points I have found are all just wifi only...do I need like a splitter or something?

they suggested this :
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC12...1577739117&th=1

Is it worth buying the 79$ version

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 30, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My sister in law wants an all in one cable modem and wifi router. She is not technical. Is whatever arris slaps a 802.11ac wireless onto going to be "fine" ? She probably has a <=100mbps package, whatever is close to the starter range. She will never upgrade to something like gigabit unless it's somehow cheaper than the other options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Waroduce posted:

I am an illiterate idiot and my new condo is telling me to not buy a router, only a wireless access point as they provide internet service; a router will not work. I am concerned about sharing my wifi but i don't know if this is legit or not.

I would like to hardware my PS4/PC since I am a turbo nerd who will care about the .05 latency in my shooty videogames.

I would also like to hardwire my TV for streaming quality.

I will have various cell phones and tablets wirelessly.

There is an ethernet port in the living room where the TV will be set up....what sort of hardware do i require? The acess points I have found are all just wifi only...do I need like a splitter or something?

they suggested this :
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC12...1577739117&th=1

Is it worth buying the 79$ version

Buy a router so at least you have a way to block inbound connections to your devices, people can't just cast stuff to your devices etc. Asus routers can be put into AP-only mode so you can try both setups out without having to buy two boxes. A router will also have a switch built-in so you can connect a few devices with cables without having to buy a separate box.

I don't think you'll struggle with coverage in an apartment with any single box setup.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just imagine how big of a Cast list you'd get lol

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Could you suggest an Asus router for this purpose and perhaps a link discussing or examining how to manage incoming stuff or whatever you alluded too if it's not literally any article on Google

Edit: I cant imagine the building is open enough to allow you to cast to devices off of your own access point

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 31, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have an ethernet cable that's traveling a long distance to be where it is now, and it'd be more of a hassle trying to get another cable connected to another device in the same space, so I was looking at getting an ethernet splitter that goes female - 2 female. Would I have any problems with this?

Since I'm not at all confident in my ability to explain things succinctly, I've created a small display or whatever.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Instead of a splitter just get a 4-port switch.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lawen posted:

Instead of a splitter just get a 4-port switch.

Exactly.

Something like this will fit the bill.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/

Also ugh, why do they use "ethernet splitter" in the name instead of just "switch".

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Using a splitter to connect two devices would also require you to add a splitter on the modem end, and would limit your devices to 100mbit speeds.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Moey posted:

Exactly.

Something like this will fit the bill.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/

Also ugh, why do they use "ethernet splitter" in the name instead of just "switch".

Perfect perfect perfect. Thanks

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience with this POE splitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D199JQP/

I'm trying to find something that will work with my Google Wifi puck. A lot of the other splitters look cheapish or require additional adapters for USB-C.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm helping a friend get a router so they can install DD-WRT. I was looking at recommending a netgear R7000 but I found this thread that said that Netgear was making it hard to install DD-WRT on their routers now https://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/netgear-r7000-dd-wrt/

I just need a decent wifi router that's easy to install DD-WRT on. Any suggestions?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Why DD-WRT? It’s not 2009.

Linksys , Asus, TP-Link, they’re all running similar Broadcom based hardware under the hood anyway.

Next someone is gonna tell me people still use Tomato..

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Its so they can use a VPN service that makes use of DD-WRT.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Isn't OpenWRT way easier and better?

Edit: Asus has both OpenVPN and PPTP

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Friends don't let friends buy new routers to use dd-wrt or tomato in 2020.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We switched ISPs and I was compelled to get an external router. I had gotten a Netgear R7000 (AC1900) and set it up with dd-wrt. I did all this without even thinking to check on this thread. I have a second wireless router set up as a bridge in the back yard. I believe both of them have their channels set to automatic right now. Things are okay but I feel like the signal strength is weak at the midpoint between the two routers. My inclination was to try to switch out an antenna on the R7000 with a stronger one but the OP doesn't really push antennas. I wonder if that's generally not recommended.

This on a 1.5-acre property in a single-story ~2000 square foot house so I don't think the single R7000 is going to cover the property well, but I wanted to check in before doing anything else misguided. Should I perish the thought of trying to improve range with different antennas?

astral posted:

Yeah I just kind of bought a new one this year without even thinking that the whole culture on this changed. So I just revert my router to stock and expect better performance?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We switched ISPs and I was compelled to get an external router. I had gotten a Netgear R7000 (AC1900) and set it up with dd-wrt. I did all this without even thinking to check on this thread. I have a second wireless router set up as a bridge in the back yard. I believe both of them have their channels set to automatic right now. Things are okay but I feel like the signal strength is weak at the midpoint between the two routers. My inclination was to try to switch out an antenna on the R7000 with a stronger one but the OP doesn't really push antennas. I wonder if that's generally not recommended.

This on a 1.5-acre property in a single-story ~2000 square foot house so I don't think the single R7000 is going to cover the property well, but I wanted to check in before doing anything else misguided. Should I perish the thought of trying to improve range with different antennas?

Modifying the antennas could help in certain situations. The transmit power generally isn't the issue, WiFi routers blast out a very strong signal, it's receiving the client signal that's usually the hard part of the equation. The R7000 seems to be a solid router from everything I've read. I'd play with the channel settings, and maybe split your SSID's for 2.4 and 5 Ghz stuff out and see how things go from there. Set 1 2.4 network to channel 1, the other to 11, and then choose non overlapping 5Ghz channels as well

quote:

Yeah I just kind of bought a new one this year without even thinking that the whole culture on this changed. So I just revert my router to stock and expect better performance?

3rd party firmware shouldn't be the default thinking anymore, but if it's working I wouldn't mess with it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

astral posted:

This is for a specific VPN that has custom software for routers so that everything that goes through the router goes through the VPN.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

clockworkjoe posted:

This is for a specific VPN that has custom software for routers so that everything that goes through the router goes through the VPN.

Can you be more specific? As I mentioned, Asus already has OpenVPN and PPTP by default, client and server.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

clockworkjoe posted:

this sounds either incredibly good, or incredibly bad and dangerous

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

https://www.astrill.com/astrill-vpn-routers/self-made

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The screenshots are an Asus router running the Merlin firmware. Get an Asus router, don't install ddwrt.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Charles posted:

The screenshots are an Asus router running the Merlin firmware. Get an Asus router, don't install ddwrt.

Is this a good option then? https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-N16-Wireless-N-Maximum-Performance/dp/B00387G6R8

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's wireless N. Look for something with at least AC.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey folks, I need a router with/and an access point that will take a SIM for LTE. It’s going to be permanently installed in a hangar, so I’d like to have something maybe more substantial than a myfi or something. Are there any goon recommended options for creating a WLAN to share an LTE connection?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy a 4G modem/router, and then do the Wi-Fi separately for a space that large. If you do want an all-in-one box then Teltonika make some nice hardware - I like the RUTX11 but the software is very new at the moment and a bunch of features are missing.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Buy a 4G modem/router, and then do the Wi-Fi separately for a space that large. If you do want an all-in-one box then Teltonika make some nice hardware - I like the RUTX11 but the software is very new at the moment and a bunch of features are missing.

Doesn’t need to be all in one, I’m mainly interested in guidance on the modem and/or router in particular.

I mean ideally if there’s a modem that’ll just take a SIM and give me an Ethernet out thatll let me repurpose gear I have that’s even better.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
GliNet do several devices that might interest you, although most take a USB 4G/LTE modem and provide a router: https://www.gl-inet.com/. Could be configured to do as you wish.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Heners_UK posted:

GliNet do several devices that might interest you, although most take a USB 4G/LTE modem and provide a router: https://www.gl-inet.com/. Could be configured to do as you wish.

That GL-X750 looks pretty perfect. Thanks! Just need to figure out which LTE standard Rogers used in Canada. Looks like there’s two models.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

No, that's really awful and shouldn't be for sale anymore, unless it was about $20. As mentioned get something with AC and a dual core processor.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

So, most routers that support running an openVPN client? :confused:

You don't need to run suspicious-sounding custom router software if you're only looking for basic VPN client functionality like that.

On Merlin's download page you can see supported models. Ignore the 'Legacy' section, though, since he's no longer updating those.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

skipdogg posted:

Modifying the antennas could help in certain situations. The transmit power generally isn't the issue, WiFi routers blast out a very strong signal, it's receiving the client signal that's usually the hard part of the equation. The R7000 seems to be a solid router from everything I've read. I'd play with the channel settings, and maybe split your SSID's for 2.4 and 5 Ghz stuff out and see how things go from there. Set 1 2.4 network to channel 1, the other to 11, and then choose non overlapping 5Ghz channels as well

I currently only have the first interface enabled. If I set up the second one, should I use a completely different name or something? Different channel?

Edit: Hahaha I didn't read it closely enough that the second interface was for 5GHz. I guess I should turn that on! I don't know if it's being bridged and I'll probably have to drag the other router inside to play with it. The inSSIDer tool is only reporting three other networks but I think we're in a fight with channel 1 for one of them and I think that network is winning. My network is coming in at -64 dBm and theirs is at -49dBm. I'll switch to another channel and then see how things go over the day.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 2, 2020

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ephori posted:

It’s going to be permanently installed in a hangar,

ephori posted:

I mean ideally if there’s a modem that’ll just take a SIM and give me an Ethernet out thatll let me repurpose gear I have that’s even better.

Peplink BR1
https://www.peplink.com/products/max-cellular-router/single-cellular/#br1

Cradlepoint IBR600C
https://cradlepoint.com/products/cor-ibr600c-series

Though if you don't mind having to dick around with resetting the modem occasionally, you'll get by a lot cheaper with a Netgear LB1120 LTE modem.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

astral posted:

So, most routers that support running an openVPN client? :confused:

You don't need to run suspicious-sounding custom router software if you're only looking for basic VPN client functionality like that.

On Merlin's download page you can see supported models. Ignore the 'Legacy' section, though, since he's no longer updating those.

So is this one okay? https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Rt-Ac66u-Router-Delivers-802-11Ac/dp/B01N08LPPP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's the one I have and it's okay enough for my usage. There's no longer Merlin firmware for it, but Asus just released a new stock firmware for it in November. Also, if you do want to try Merlin on it someday, john9527's fork of Merlin supports that model.