Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Every largeish shrine is going to be a festival with food stalls and people lined up to pray and buy lucky charms. Enjoy <3

Do this if you have time.

Go walking in any other major park/district and enjoy everyone being at home otherwise.

Double check that your trains are running. They should be, but better safe than sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I cut 3 days from my Tokyo itinerary so I can do Nara for more than just a day trip. I'm really psyched to see more of the city than just the deer park.

I mean, the deer park is still my raison d'etre, that is.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, me and two buddies are going to be going to Japan this March (most likely within the first couple of weeks of March). Probably be there for 10-14 days. I'm going to ask a bunch of basic bitch questions, if someone wants to just refer me to a trustworthy Japan Travel website that answers it for me, that would be great; it's a little difficult to parse out the reliable stuff from the unreliable stuff you get from Googling. We're all nerdy dudes; one of my friends is half Taiwanese, and his family has historically split their time between Taiwan and the U.S.; he's doing an intensive Japanese language study at a university a couple of hours outside of Tokyo (we'll call this friend "Mitch"). Mitch is a bad tourist/tour-guide, but is very willing to go along with just about anything (I spent almost two weeks in Taipei with him, he's very chill and a good travel companion) as long as he doesn't have to make a decision about it. My other friend hasn't done any international travel before (we'll call him "Chad"). Chad wants to do a healthy amount of drinking while we're there, and definitely wants to check out a maid cafe (don't ask me, he said "just for the experience"). He's also suggested a few things that sounded vaguely good to him: touring a castle, visiting Mt. Fuji, hitting a hot spring, and a traditional music performance. I'm not exactly an expert international traveler or anything, but I went to France twenty years ago, and Taipei a couple of years ago, been to Canada a few times, and to lots of places in the U.S. I'm a huge loving history buff, so I like going to museums and historical sites; my favorite places in Taiwan were Fort San Domingo, the Chiang Kai-shek memorial, and the National Palace Museum (a giant-rear end castle holding the art that was liberated/looted by the Kuomintang when they fled the mainland). I like historical stuff even if it has a pretty heavy bias, I like seeing the perspectives. I also really liked Beitou (the hot springs and hot springs museum were great). Trying new and interesting food and drink is also huge for me.

All that being said, I'm thinking hopefully two weeks; Tokyo is a definite, and will likely take up most of that. Is there enough time there to see another city? I was thinking Kyoto, for all of the Imperial history, but I'm not sure if my traveling companions will be interested by that. For flying in, what airport is best (or should I just base it on whatever one is cheapest)? For lodging, is it best to go with hotels, or are AirBnBs the more interesting/fun option? Or is there a Japanese version of AirBnB that is better (I definitely see a lot of AirBnBs in Tokyo)? Is there any reason we'd want to avoid the first couple of weeks of March? Hotels seem pretty reasonably-priced then; is there a good way to narrow down hotels? For Chad, what's the best cell phone option (I have Google Fi, Mitch is already using a cell phone there), buy a SIM, or get a whole new phone while there?

Given our interests, any specific sites people would recommend? I love trying weird local liquor; doesn't have to be good, just something I can't get anywhere else. Any recommendations for that? I'll probably want to do at least one distillery tour (I hit up Kavalan when I was in Taipei, it was great); do any of those stand out from the others? Are there particular onsens that are recommended, or is one pretty much the same as another? I'd like to do at least one day trip to see some natural beauty around Tokyo and possibly another around Kyoto (assuming we go there); any real stand-out national parks? Is Mt. Fuji worth going to (we're all from the Pacific Northwest, so it's not like we haven't seen a mountain before)? Anything else that most people feel are "must-sees?" And does the recommendation from the first couple of pages of the thread about JR passes not being worthwhile for the most part still stand? Thanks all.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can spend as much time in Tokyo as you have.

Airports, Haneda is much closer to center of Tokyo than Narita, if you go to Narita be prepared to spend another hour (at least) in train or bus to get into Tokyo, and depending on hotel another half to full hour on local transport. Obviously it's an advantage to plan your route from the airport out in advance and figure out which tickets you need, to avoid spending another hour confused at the airport.
If you'll be walking any significant distance from your station to the hotel, make a printed map you can show to people if you get lost.

Mobile phone/SIM, if you have 3G or 4G capability on your phone and it takes standard SIM cards you can buy a prepaid data SIM from a vending machine at the airport, or Bic Camera (they also have airport stores) if you need some assistance. Do check with your own home operator what their roaming offers and costs are first, if you use a prepaid data SIM you probably won't be able to your regular subscription at all for the duration. (Unless your phone has dual-SIM capability, and can run on 3G network on both SIM cards at the same time.) I wouldn't count on reliable free Wifi being available anywhere.

Lodging, Airbnb is fine though keep an eye out for the shared-everything hostels that occupy a lot of the cheapest end. Also be aware that lots of offerings only accept women. If you don't plan on cooking your own food or spending much time in the room, regular business hotels might be less hassle. Remember that single-person beds (not queen or king size) are the norm everywhere.

And maid cafe, just go to Akihabara and visit anywhere that isn't Maidreaming. For the real experience, go down this street in the evening and just follow the girl whose costume catches your eye the most. Budget for 5000 per person, though you probably won't need it all. It probably isn't much fun if you can't converse in Japanese.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wow thx

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Glad you appreciate it, I took time out of my busy anime watching schedule to write.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you don't want to go the SIM card route, you can rent pocket Wi-Fi too. I went with iVideo, it was 30 bucks for unlimited data for multiple devices and good for a month. Did that last time too, worked perfectly, although it will need charging during the day if you're out and about for more than 9 hours. You can choose tons of locations for pickup then stick it in any mailbox when you're done.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Use japan-guide.com and the /r/japantravel subreddit can be useful if you put a little bit of effort into your post.

I prefer getting a SIM over a pocket wifi and they're cheap these days. Unlimited data, 40 USD / 35 EUR a month. https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/simcard

Even if there's more than one of you, just get a sim card for each person. You don't want to be tied together because of the pocket wifi or whatever.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Picnic Princess posted:

If you don't want to go the SIM card route, you can rent pocket Wi-Fi too. I went with iVideo, it was 30 bucks for unlimited data for multiple devices and good for a month. Did that last time too, worked perfectly, although it will need charging during the day if you're out and about for more than 9 hours. You can choose tons of locations for pickup then stick it in any mailbox when you're done.

I highly recommend this. It was super easy, fast, and worked everywhere. Plus it was a standard connector so I just charged it using the same battery pack we used to keep our phones charged up.

We used a different service and had it shipped to the hotel. We could have picked it up at the airport too. Can’t remember the name though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, despite having one more thing to carry I much prefer a router to just getting a SIM. I enjoy not relying on my phone tethering to supply all my other gadgets with WiFi, it’s easy to keep in a bag just hooked up to a power bank for all-day use while leaving my phone’s battery just for phone stuff.

I went with japanwifibuddy.com last year and probably will again this year, but I suspect most of the services are pretty much identical these days.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've gone with pocket wifi from eConnect before but this time I'll probably just get a sim at the airport. It feels like less of a hassle than having another thing that needs to be carrier around and charged every night.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Martytoof posted:

all my other gadgets

too many gadgets

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

too many gadgets

Eh, I travel with my phone, iPad, and and compact laptop. Love to do photo editing when I turn in for the night.

Won't disagree though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Pocket wifis are nice if your going to be a group that sticks together all the time. Solo or groups that will split up occasionally should go with the sim card.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's just one of us that even needs it (my carrier is $10/gig in most countries, other dude is already in Japan).

Other than being aware of the barracks-style AirBnBs, is there anything I should use to filter hotels? I've seen a few that have three beds/room, which would be nice to save us some money/comfort.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If you have Sprint, you can just use the Softbank network in Japan. No need for a sim or pocket wifi. I think it was like $5 for a month of Japan service on top of my normal bill.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am really looking forward to exploring in person again. I think my favourite things to find are neighbourhood shotengai. I love coming across these little alleys and streets full of shops. Much prefer them to the covered arcade shotengai.

I'm pretty much just sitting here in VR google-walking around Tokyo looking for new ones to bookmark and explore.

My favourite is the one that Sangubashi Eat Street. I came across it while deliriously jetlagged my first evening of my first ever trip and it was just the most amazing thing ever.

E: also switched my airbnb from Ueno-adjacent to Yotsuya. Being close to Ueno wasn’t bad but I found something literally across the street from Yotsuya station for when I’m just beat from walking at the end of my trip.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 4, 2020

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
12 new posts in two days!

oh it is the "I'm going to Tokyo, what should I do" or "Someone help me with pocket wifi or SIM card" variety. booooo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

I am really looking forward to exploring in person again. I think my favourite things to find are neighbourhood shotengai. I love coming across these little alleys and streets full of shops. Much prefer them to the covered arcade shotengai.

I'm pretty much just sitting here in VR google-walking around Tokyo looking for new ones to bookmark and explore.

My favourite is the one that Sangubashi Eat Street. I came across it while deliriously jetlagged my first evening of my first ever trip and it was just the most amazing thing ever.

E: also switched my airbnb from Ueno-adjacent to Yotsuya. Being close to Ueno wasn’t bad but I found something literally across the street from Yotsuya station for when I’m just beat from walking at the end of my trip.

Yotsuya has a shitload of good restaurants, even by Tokyo standards, I'll post a few if you're interested.

Also a really cool pet store: https://www.zoojapan.com/access_yotsuya.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m never going to say no to recommendations :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Great Autismo! posted:

12 new posts in two days!

oh it is the "I'm going to Tokyo, what should I do" or "Someone help me with pocket wifi or SIM card" variety. booooo

Allow me to help with that!

It looks like my dad and I are officially doing a romp through the western half in October. We’ll be starting in Osaka and I’m considering doing a ring from Osaka-Onomichi-Ehime-Shikoku-Fukuoka-Hiroshima-Osaka. At least, I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. The major stuff I wanna hit up is:

Onomichi because I liked Yakuza 6 and it seemed like a chill place
Biking Shimanami cuz my dad is a cyclist
Fukuoka cuz I hear it’s a cool city
Ehime+Shikoku cuz I hear they have awesome festivals in October
Hiroshima cuz history and to unwind

Other than that, go sight-seeing and eat good food!!! Maybe see some wrestling shows too :haw:

This feels like it might be a lot to fit into a 2-week vacation, though. Am I overplanning?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not sure you need to get by Onomichi particularly, because that particular kind of "small town chill" is available everywhere. Especially the rest of your route through Shikoku, you're going to go through 25 other towns just like it.

Fukuoka is really cool, it's a nice size but has plenty to see and do. Go to the big shrine and museum outside of the city at Dazaifu. I would also suggest heading to Nagasaki too (because history!) but that's just me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
onomichi is definitely a nice little town, and very pretty, but yeah basically what harperdc said.

that said i'd gladly make it my home base for travelling around that area.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If you're going to Hiroshima to unwind I always recommend a night in Miyajima, a small nearby island town that has the best manju in Japan.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone have opinions on Aomori or Yamagata for visiting. Want to do some of Tohoku on my next trip out, know I want to hit up Iwate, but still debating between starting in Aomori, renting a car and working my way down through Iwate, or starting in Sakata, then renting a car in Yamagata-shi and driving up over the mountains into Iwate.

Leaning towards Yamagata because there's a D&DEPARTMENT Travel guide for Yamagata and I find their recommendation super good, plus it gives me an extra day or two to recover from jet lag before driving, but open to arguments for Aomori.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone have opinions on Aomori or Yamagata for visiting. Want to do some of Tohoku on my next trip out, know I want to hit up Iwate, but still debating between starting in Aomori, renting a car and working my way down through Iwate, or starting in Sakata, then renting a car in Yamagata-shi and driving up over the mountains into Iwate.

Leaning towards Yamagata because there's a D&DEPARTMENT Travel guide for Yamagata and I find their recommendation super good, plus it gives me an extra day or two to recover from jet lag before driving, but open to arguments for Aomori.

Go to hirosaki and aomori city. Spend a day picking apples and eating different Apple pies

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmm11105 posted:

Aomori is great, but I've never been to Yamagata so I can't compare them. When I went to Aomori, someone told me that they have the second highest rate of obesity in Japan, because their food is just that good. And yeah, you can eat 30 different kinds of apples and they are all amazing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been to Yamagata and wasn't particularly impressed. The most memorable part was going through this huge wine sampling place that had several dozen wines they grow around there. Two or three decent whites and a deep and impressive collection of the worst red wine I've ever tasted in my life.

Aomori owns though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

a deep and impressive collection of the worst red wine I've ever tasted in my life.

Try Great Wall if you ever see it. It's uh... an experience.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

mmm11105 posted:

I went to Yamagata and had a great time (Dewa Sanzan throughike and Yamadera a few days later on the way back when I was in Sendai) but I think Aomori is probably best just due to logistics. If you want to drive in Iwate, you're probably better off taking a train up to Morioka and renting a car there. I mean, the train from Sakata to Yamagata City is 3-4 hours but you can get there in just over 1 from Sendai. For that reason, I basically split Yamagata up into two parts east/west. I did the western portion (Dewa Sanzan) first and then took a limited express up to Akita and a shinkansen over to Morioka. I did my Iwate stuff and then hit up Yamadera (eastern portion) from Sendai.

If you're driving, I think there's a lot of stuff up near the Aomori/Akita/Iwate border to check out, as well as stuff along the Sanriku coast, whereas I don't think there's nearly as much to do in Yamagata on your way up to Iwate.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Driving up the Sanriku coast is one of the trips on my bucket list of things I still want to do in Japan, but unfortunately thats preceded by a bunch of other things (this list is pretty much infinite).

Yamagata is worth going for Yamadera, Dewa Sanzan, Zao, and Ginzan. In particular, Zao's onsen water is very high quality, but you're comparing to Aomori and Akita which have some of the best water in all of Japan.

Aomori is worth going for Hakkoda, lots of onsen, Sanriku, Hirosaki, Towada, Shimokita (super far away), and some stuff in between.

Unless you want to pay a one-way fee, I'd basically do one of these car journeys:

YAMAGATA:
1) Yamagata, Sendai, Koriyama/Fukushima, Aizu Wakamatsu, Niigata
2) Yamagata, Sendai, Morioka, Senboku, Akita, Sakata

AOMORI:
3) Aomori, Hirosaki, Towada/Hakkoda, Morioka, Senboku, Akita, Sanriku Coast.

Logistics-wise, any of these options will be easy (just determine a starting city), since flights for international travelers are 100$ domestic any leg.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Aomori = Osorezan (MOUNT DOOM)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i also very highly highly highly highly recommend the Resort Shirakami for going to/leaving Aomori. it's such a stupidly pleasant train ride. it loving rules.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I went to Aomori and ate apple and went to Hirosaki and ate apple pie and recommend both.

Hakodate was sorta lame tho. Ok mountain but nothing special.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Magna Kaser posted:

I went to Aomori and ate apple and went to Hirosaki and ate apple pie and recommend both.

Hakodate was sorta lame tho. Ok mountain but nothing special.

When I was on the mountain in June there were bugs everywhere. View was beautiful though.

But yeah, there wasn't much else to see there. The brick warehouse was one giant snack / souvenier place. If anything, the train ride along the coast was more interesting.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

there's also a mountain by hirosaki that's quite nice and i also recommend

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
How much of a monster am I for never drinking all/much of the left over soup from soba or ramen?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
its fine nobody cares

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
If it's absolutely delicious you can drink up the soup, but no one actually expects you to drink a bowl of salt after finishing your meal.

Have you honestly observed Japanese people drinking their bowl dry as a standard practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

sale on Banksy art posted:

If it's absolutely delicious you can drink up the soup, but no one actually expects you to drink a bowl of salt after finishing your meal.

Have you honestly observed Japanese people drinking their bowl dry as a standard practice?

I do notice them drinking a lot more of it than me. I'm just always paranoid because the soba I just had contained something like 82% of the RDI for sodium in the broth.