Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You're right; it really is a very good thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lol you beat me by four minutes

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

:discourse:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
thank you both for your service o7

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can we agree that Groverhaus is the greatest saga of all time?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Doobie still ranks high in my mind

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Groverhaus is probably the most iconic SA saga. People who have had little to no involvement with SA know about it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Heath posted:

I think you put it better than I did. This is a good post about what FYAD is. It's a fascinating thing from a forums-sociology perspective.
What if we don't care what FYAD is and just want them to shut up and stop being dicks to trans/gay people?

Kazinsal posted:

Groverhaus is probably the most iconic SA saga. People who have had little to no involvement with SA know about it.
Seeing Groverhaus pop up on the McMansion thing was a wonderful day.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Seeing Groverhaus pop up on the McMansion thing was a wonderful day.

Do you have a link to this? I can’t find it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What if we don't care what FYAD is and just want them to shut up and stop being dicks to trans/gay people?

Then don't respond to the post?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I was impressed not only by Groverhaus' being referenced a lot by others but also whosit's DIY HELLBATHROOM getting a lot of attention outside SA.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Also thanks mods for the new thread title.

thods.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Neophyte posted:

I was impressed not only by Groverhaus' being referenced a lot by others but also whosit's DIY HELLBATHROOM getting a lot of attention outside SA.

lovely DIY is universal

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Didn't Groverhaus really blow up because Grover was so disliked as a mod (modding GiP as a very pro-war self-important civilian contractor, iirc?) and tried so hard to suppress discussion of it that it went more and more viral? I'm vague on the details but it sounded amazing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Heath posted:

lovely DIY is universal

There's a YouTube clip I can never find of a guy going through a basement that someone rewired themselves and it just keeps getting crazier and crazier until they finally figure out there are even more wires being run through the heating ducts and he storms off telling someone they owe him a beer....a lot of beer.

Wish I could find it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Beatmasterj was his name. Sexy baths (NO FAT CHICKS) was his game.

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a YouTube clip I can never find of a guy going through a basement that someone rewired themselves and it just keeps getting crazier and crazier until they finally figure out there are even more wires being run through the heating ducts and he storms off telling someone they owe him a beer....a lot of beer.

Wish I could find it.

There's an amazing ghost hunter show I saw once where they have the usual psychics and electromagnetism wave readers and poo poo, and then they have the world's most boring handyman go through the house and be like "this door is installed poorly, that is what is banging."

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Beatmasterj was his name. Sexy baths (NO FAT CHICKS) was his game.

There's an amazing ghost hunter show I saw once where they have the usual psychics and electromagnetism wave readers and poo poo, and then they have the world's most boring handyman go through the house and be like "this door is installed poorly, that is what is banging."

Here's Jenny Nicholson's video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Antivehicular posted:

Didn't Groverhaus really blow up because Grover was so disliked as a mod (modding GiP as a very pro-war self-important civilian contractor, iirc?) and tried so hard to suppress discussion of it that it went more and more viral? I'm vague on the details but it sounded amazing.

The Streisand effect is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
My personal choice for all time would be p-p-p-PowerBook.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Antivehicular posted:

LF really disliked Grover, the less known Grover saga is his post about invading Iraq(This was presumably made before OIF I don't think I've ever actually seen the original post):

Grover posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Jan 3, 2020

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
iirc almost none of the things he claimed would happen, happened.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
he's running

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
imagine having a cop mod these days

people would poo poo themselves

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hub Cat posted:

LF really disliked Grover, the less known Grover saga is his post about invading Iraq(This was presumably made before OIF I don't think I've ever actually seen the original post):

There's more radioactive material in that post than there ever was in Iraq

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm the assertion that a random delivery person servicing a vending machine in a military bunker should be counted as a military casualty

edit: and obviously deserves to die for collusion in supplying enemy forces with chocolatey icing

Antivehicular has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Jan 3, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pick posted:

he's running

he's State Rep material for sure

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

razorrozar posted:

imagine having a cop mod these days

people would poo poo themselves

People regularly poo poo themselves over a lot less than that

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Neophyte posted:

part of why bEatmstrJ and his builder grade bathroom spread like wildfire because he was dumb enough to
1. Use the same username in a bunch of stuff
2. Host Images of the project on his personal site and link them to the forums
3. Include his real name 'hidden' in his username

also some folks who knew him IRL found the thread and either made or at least started sharing doombath.wad in a bunch of different circles

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Paladinus posted:

His life is long, one could say.
But what is longer: his life or Jim's face?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

arguably zyborne clock by dint of “showing up in fallout new vegas” tbh

although there’s probably a lot more poo poo that’s “sourced from SA and a lot of people just didn’t know the source” so

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

razorrozar posted:

you're right but it makes absolutely no sense to say, for instance, 2000 is part of the 90s

:911:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

zybourne clock is probably my favorite SA saga tbh

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
if slender man counts as a saga then it is without question the most iconic

nothing else even comes close

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i wouldn’t count it as a saga but it most likely is the most well known thing that spawned from here

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's called Paranormal Home Inspectors and it is the greatest show ever made. Sadly it's hard to find since it left Hulu.

In one episode, they ignore an active carbon monoxide leak in favor of sending the drunk lady through the house to talk about auras again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

watho posted:

i wouldn’t count it as a saga but it most likely is the most well known thing that spawned from here

4chan

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite is zybourne clock.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Coolness Averted posted:

part of why bEatmstrJ and his builder grade bathroom spread like wildfire because he was dumb enough to
1. Use the same username in a bunch of stuff
2. Host Images of the project on his personal site and link them to the forums
3. Include his real name 'hidden' in his username

also some folks who knew him IRL found the thread and either made or at least started sharing doombath.wad in a bunch of different circles

He had a portrait of himself hanging in the bathroom.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Benghazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's called Paranormal Home Inspectors and it is the greatest show ever made. Sadly it's hard to find since it left Hulu.

In one episode, they ignore an active carbon monoxide leak in favor of sending the drunk lady through the house to talk about auras again.
The real home inspector's name was Brian, and every episode he would go through and make a checklist of problems, and every episode the 'clients' would go "hmmmmm nah, seems like it's definitely the vague ghost explanation." You could just see the hatred on his face.