Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

:yeah:

also:

https://twitter.com/denimcatfish/status/1189136607514779648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cobbsprite posted:

And Edelgard didn't do those war crimes. That's translation failure. I

Always convenient how Edelgard's defenders have some excuse to absolve her of any wrongdoing.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Cobbsprite posted:

Not hard, I've poo poo using better paper than your graduation thesis.

Exhibit 1.3

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Cobbsprite posted:

So yeah, the version you read where Edelgard does evil poo poo? Not true. Bad translation.

drat I didn't realize there was a version of this game where Edelgard never sided with Slytherin. Localization team must have taken some serious liberties.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

new topic: let linhardt be a gremory

https://twitter.com/jiemo521/status/1192442690828300288

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

yes, that's the specific one I was looking for but could not find!! thank you!! he's so beautiful

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:hai:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Boy I sure went to sleep at the wrong time.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This person did an absolutely incredible looking Rhea cosplay:

https://twitter.com/SakythiaCos/status/1212903630644432898

This is a thread of her process, which is really fun to read.

https://twitter.com/SakythiaCos/status/1181205358955712517

Rhea has great style, even if-- WARNING: PERSONAL OPINION DETECTED. ABORT POST.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/meridachii/status/1184515662980345857

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cobb you are really weird and also a liar. There are some things that are different in english vs japanese, but SS flat out says that she is conquering villages and their people are disappearing.

This alongside the fact that we know where the demon beasts that give her an edge come from.

She is 100% using her conquest to give the slytherin more materials to use to make more demon beasts, at the very least.

The best, moral, thing to this is to say she doesn't personally watch it happen and just uses the fruits of their labor, but even if she isnt personally ordering the capture of peasants and overseeing their transformation into demon beasts by implanting crest stones into them, she still knows and one of her first acts is stealing more stones to make even more beasts, so she Knows What Is Happening and is accepting it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/_pikurusu00/status/1211953375610171393

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shamir is good. Hubert is deffo the better goth partner material, tho.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Shamir is good. Hubert is deffo the better goth partner material, tho.

They even make good partners but I have a ship I strongly prefer for Hubert

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hubert has some excellent ships (Shamir, Ferdie, Bernie) and I like that none of them are Edie because it would be weird.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If you could gay marry Shamir she would be perfect.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

capitaldelendaest posted:

I like that this game has gay romance options for ladies (it's a big part of what pushed me into buying it), but after romancing Mercedes my first time through the game and getting up to an A support with Dorothea... I wish I could gay romance any of the women I particularly like in this game. :v:

Shamir, Catherine, Annette, and Ingrid all spring to mind, and three of the four have endings where they settle down with another woman.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Shamir's parting shot to Catherine in CF is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8msoXPGbKwU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Cythereal posted:

I like that this game has gay romance options for ladies (it's a big part of what pushed me into buying it), but after romancing Mercedes my first time through the game and getting up to an A support with Dorothea... I wish I could gay romance any of the women I particularly like in this game. :v:

Shamir, Catherine, Annette, and Ingrid all spring to mind, and three of the four have endings where they settle down with another woman.

Sometimes an emotionless homunculus designed to be a self-insert proxy doesn't set your thing and that's okay.

Also Dorothea deserves much better than Byleth

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Ingrid is aggressively straight

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

capitaldelendaest posted:

She's basically that silly "Big Tiddy Goth GF" meme made into an actual likeable character, and yet she still has nothing on Post-Timeskip Hubert. Like he still looks like he was created in a lab to the set of "Every Hot Goth Frontman ever", but the sorta classic haircut he got post timeskip is. just. perfect. :kiss:

Eimi posted:

They even make good partners but I have a ship I strongly prefer for Hubert

This is my favorite Bernie x Hubie thing.

https://twitter.com/_duvi10/status/1190385862271553537

It's like Hubert knows he's a creep, but he also wants to keep Bernie from relapsing into old habits, and that's sorta cute/endearing in its own way. :3:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wark Say posted:

It's like Hubert knows he's a creep, but he also wants to keep Bernie from relapsing into old habits, and that's sorta cute/endearing in its own way. :3:

That's the good poo poo. And yeah Hubert knows exactly who he is, which makes him using it in self aware ways like that is hilarious/awesome.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

blizzardvizard posted:

Sometimes an emotionless homunculus designed to be a self-insert proxy doesn't set your thing and that's okay.

Also Dorothea deserves much better than Byleth

I paired Dorothea with Manuela and it was nice. I'm tentatively planning to pair her with Ferdinand in this Verdant Wind game.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I absolutely can see why people don't like Hubert, but I can really respect him for having an incredible amount of self-awareness. He absolutely knows he's a weird creepy edgelord, and he's got plenty of blood on his hands. Despite their opposing political beliefs, I feel like he'd get along great with Seteth because they're relatively rational.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
look all i'm saying is that claude should've been gay so we can have the Bad Gay Route, the Good Gay Route, the Bad Straight Route and the Good Straight route

which route is which is left as an exercise to the reader

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I absolutely can see why people don't like Hubert, but I can really respect him for having an incredible amount of self-awareness. He absolutely knows he's a weird creepy edgelord, and he's got plenty of blood on his hands. Despite their opposing political beliefs, I feel like he'd get along great with Seteth because they're relatively rational.

If Seteth and Rhea weren't related he would 100% be on board with CF.

Like a good chunk of part 1 and SS are him learning more about the church and Rhea's actions over the last thousand years and repeatedly asking her what the gently caress her problem is.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zore posted:

Like a good chunk of part 1 and SS are him learning more about the church and Rhea's actions over the last thousand years and repeatedly asking her what the gently caress her problem is.

I don't even like Seteth that much, but I can appreciate he's basically right about everything. He deserved better than Silver Snow.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

There's a couple of tumblr posts of troubled birds and about which bird represents which FE16 character better, and I find Seteth's one of the funniest.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'd be happy with the option to gay marry Shamir or Manuela, or Lysithea so that you don't have to be MByleth to save her with pairing her with one of three specific people. But really, I wouldn't mind if they just dropped the whole 'Avatar' aspect and let the stories be led by actual characters. Byleth did grow on me with their facial expressions, as the game progress they actually convey some personality, I particularly like the concerned look they always give Alois when he makes a joke.

Hubert is definitely sub-Shamir tier to me as a partner, but I love his style, and that he is secretly a massive dork, like all goth kids. If he was a woman, maybe I'd rank him higher.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 3, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hubert is insanely hot

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The real pro strat is marrying Shamir to Hubert because they are both too good for Byleth.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's a 3Houses speedrun listed for this year's Awesome Games Done Quick speedrun marathon next Thursday. They've allocated 1 hour 45 minutes for the speedrun, but the best times on the leader board vary from 1 hour 16 minutes to 1 hour 29 minutes depending on the route.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Hubert is insanely hot despite not having eyebrows but his best ship is clearly with Ferdinand for that good goth edgelord/theater kid dynamic

(His supports with Bernie are super good, I just don't care for her with anyone romantically...)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i found this person's art on reddit and it has a really cool "classic manga" vibe, especially this pic of Lysithea spirit-gunning some fools

also annette is good:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

golden bubble posted:

There's a 3Houses speedrun listed for this year's Awesome Games Done Quick speedrun marathon next Thursday. They've allocated 1 hour 45 minutes for the speedrun, but the best times on the leader board vary from 1 hour 16 minutes to 1 hour 29 minutes depending on the route.

Honestly, Three Houses is a dreadful speedrun game, like Fire Emblem games in general are. Rout maps are just ending turn with a 1-2 range weapon and waiting for the turnskip to process, and every other map is flying directly to the boss and one-shotting them.

The only good part is that the fastest route involves arriving at the monastery and immediately declaring yourself married to edelgard.

(the GBA games are at least good for TASing because of how trivial and funny RNG manipulation is.)

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 3, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
All right, time to throw about three forests worth of kindling on the not-so-current argument fires...

All routes stuff yadda yadda

I'm going to start with Edelgard, because that's my life. So, people latch unto the "merit" system and try and ply it as social darwinism or strong rule/weak die when that is not what Edelgard wants. She wants the best people in the best position, yes, but she doesn't want the elite and strong kicking down. She wants fair and even base treatment for all but allowing people to rise up on their own merits instead of both being decided at birth. She starts a war to stop the current system of the strong oppressing the weak.

"But she starts a war! That kills a lot of the people she claims she's trying to help!" OK, why is the current system so much better? The one that kills and stomps all the poor and weak anyway? Faerghus experiences three distinct rebellions and implied dozens more just in four years. All of them come with casualties to the commoner population. You deal with three enormous bandit groups caused as a result of Faerghus's Crest and nobility culture that all cause heinous damage to the commoner populations. Is it because the numbers are simply smaller? Is it because Edelgard is invading? But Faerghus has outright launched two wars or conquest in the local memory. They conquered southern Sreng, which Lambert and Rodrigue both participated in, and then conquered Duscur while adding in a side dose of the old ethnic cleansing there. Sure, Sreng was attacking Faerghus, but why does that justify return conquering? Because it sure didn't end the conflict. The Alliance never tries to take over Almyra either. And Duscur? Oh boy! I don't think I need to point out why that's hosed up, do I?

"But Dimitri didn't do either of those!" Yes, but he tacitly accepts them. During Dedue's paralogue he says you can't engage with the Kingdom troops trying to outright exterminate the Duscur rebels. He never talks about bringing down any sort of punishment on the perpetrators of the cleansing of Duscur in his own court. His reconciliation with Duscur is never ever once implied stated or said to be enacting reparations on the part of the guilty Faerghus.

"But Edelgard wants to wipe out the dragons!" No, she doesn't. She wants Rhea and them out of power. That's it. She gives Rhea opportunity to surrender on CF and in all three other routes she doesn't execute Rhea even when she's a prisoner for five years.

"Because the Slitherers are using Rhea for their experiments!" Nope. Doesn't happen. Seteth flat-out states that Rhea was unharmed. He has no reason to lie. Rhea is weak from imprisonment, but she never, ever is implied to be brutalized during her time as a prisoner. I myself thought otherwise, for a time, but a reexamination of the scenes proves otherwise.

"Edelgard still starts a war and on three routes and is the villain!" And on three routes Dimitri leads his army into a suicide charge to sate his vengeance because he thinks a 12-year-old girl orchestrated his parents' murder. In all four routes he abandons his people to pursue vengeance. Why does he get forgiven for this? Because the narrative says this is bad? So why does Edelgard not deserve forgiveness when the narrative says she's right?

"Rhea only burns a city down on one route!" Yes, you know who burns down 0 cities on 4 routes? Cornelia! Who's an outright villain. Even when backed into a corner at Arianrhod and Fhirdiad she doesn't burn either down. You know who does destroy their city to spite his enemies? Thales. Yeah, Rhea does the same thing an unquestioned villain does. Worse even, since Faerghus were her allies. Burning down Fhirdiad is also another perfect showing of just how toxic and awful Faerghus is. These knights are willing to let their own city and people burn to the ground by their ally because of their toxic oaths. Gilbert and Rodrigue willingly abandon their country to go gallivanting off with Dimitri's suicide charge south. When they say the Dukedom is oppressing the people? That's no different then how Faerghus was before anyway.

"If Edelgard had only communicated!" Dimitri is an ardent defender of the Crest system and the nobility system and thinks both are fine and dandy and if the peasants were really unhappy they would rise up. Claude also keeps his own secrets and deliberately paints himself as untrustworthy. Rhea has had a 1000 years of ruling Fodlan. If she wanted Fodlan to be different, she would have done so. When Rhea abdicates her power, it is done under the threat of force. When she reforms the church, it is done after circumstances force her to.

"Rhea did nothing wrong! Everyone who rose up was a rebel, after all." This is sort of another translation problem, but in the Japanese Rhea basically uses the goddess as punctuation for everything she does. Everything is as the goddess wills. If anyone disagrees, they disagree with the goddess and anyone who disagrees with the goddess must die.

And, see, here's the thing with Lonato's rebellion. He's correct. Rhea isn't an adherent to her own religion because she knows it's wrong. And under the actual tenants of the church, Lonato is correct in rising his blade against her. Same thing with the Western Church (who were behind Lonato's son, not the Slitherers), who are rising up because Rhea isn't actually faithful. You see this on Crimson Flower. The moment Byleth chooses Edelgard she goes nuts. Even when the tenants claim that Byleth-as-the-Goddess are the ultimate authority in the land. Rhea by her own laws shouldn't be defying Byleth ever. But she immediately wants to tear out their heart because "how dare the puppet go against me!"

And this flows into the next point. Because in order to access Crimson Flower, you have to get the coronation scene. Where you see Edelgard stripe Duke Aegir of his standing and imprison him. Not execute him. Imprison. And the player knows at this point Aegir is responsible for lots of bad poo poo, yet Edelgard still exercises mercy (and on every route she doesn't execute Aegir too). While Rhea always goes straight to the "KILL THEM ALL" route until she's finally forced otherwise.

"Yeah, but, she uses the Demonic Beasts! And wants to tomb-raid!" Yes, so does Faerghus on Crimson Flower. When Rhea pops up on Tailtean she sees nothing wrong with Faerghus using Demonic Beasts either. Even the church's golems are probably powered by Crest Stones. And there's some weird blood magic going on with them anyway since the Altered Golems in the CF finale have the Minor Crest of Seiros. "That only happens on one route" only because the Fhirdiad treasure vaults get robbed on non-CF routes. But it shows that the actual mindset is there and acceptable to these people as long as it fits their own goals so why should only Edelgard get called out for it?

Then, Rhea yelling at how dare Edelgard desecrate her kin while lending out her mother's spine as long as it fits her purposes is also hypocritical. She also instigated Loog into rebellion by giving him Areadbhar in the first place. Then House Reigan with Failnaught. Nine out of the ten Heroes' Relics ending up in hands outside the Empire sure isn't a coincidence. And yes, Rhea did have all 10 Relics. She took all the Heroes' Relics when she killed the Ten Elites alongside Nemesis. Then eventually gave them back out to their descendants when it fit her purposes.

Throwing solely Edelgard under the bus is a disservice to the entire game and handwaves away a lot of the questionable content the other factions get up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For non-story chat, I think I'm getting a handle on the Verdant Wind cast.

I'm opting for getting Beleth gauntlets since I'm playing male Beleth this time and I never used gauntlets in Azure Moon.

Claude is an archer doing archer things, and yes I'm leveling his flying because I know what's coming.

Raphael seems to be my replacement Dedue, and I'm using him similarly. May try going for warmaster or hero instead of warrior like I had on Dedue.

Leonie, I'm leaning towards swordmaster or assassin - she's blazing fast and hits quite well, to the point that she's my best front-line fighter in this early game besides Beleth.

Hilda seems to be pretty flexible, but I've tentatively decided to prime her for dancer. Beleth, Raphael, and Leonie have the front covered, and dancer certainly fits her personality if nothing else.

Not sure what to make of Lorenz beyond that he's annoying as hell and I'm shipping him with Hilda to quarantine their nonsense. I guess he wants to go cavalier.

Marianne is still Marianne. I'm planning to poach Linhardt, so I think I'll have her go gremory and let Linhardt go holy knight.

Lysithea seems to be a more extreme Annette with a completely different spell list I haven't completely figured out yet. Gremory is obvious, but maybe I should see about getting her a horse instead for something a bit different.