Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m about halfway thru the discounted Megablocks Enterprise’s dish section and holy poo poo my thumbs hurt, I thought the 89 Batmobile was solid but this thing is a loving brick.

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

What in particular earns it this distinction? The '89 is my favorite Batmobile, but I didn't really get excited about its set - admittedly, part of that is that it's enormous and I don't have the space.

Also, I finished making step-by-step instructions for my latest 3k piece build, 526 steps across 392 pages, because I'm a masochist*. This is the largest thing I've designed, because I really prefer smaller, detail-dense MOCs that I can build for, like, $40 tops, but I decided to start displaying my cars at LUG events and so I need a proper display.

*or because I find it calming, and an exceptionally good way to suss out potential structural issues with digital models. And also because when my pieces arrive in the mail, it's more fun to build as if it was a real set.

That looks like the start of a really cool looking used car lot.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
My Fiancee gave me the Corner Garage for a Birthday present a few days early (New Years is my birthday) and I finished it yesterday. Boy was that a fun set, and they did some really interesting things to get the angled wall to work right that I would have never thought of. Now between it, brick bank, Assembly Square, Parisian Restaurant, diner and the detective office I have a street front and back with a nice alleyway between all the sets.

Here, have some pictures of it. Not seen: Ghostbusters firehouse. Barely seen, Lego Ninjago City and Docks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Carbohydrates posted:

*or because I find it calming, and an exceptionally good way to suss out potential structural issues with digital models. And also because when my pieces arrive in the mail, it's more fun to build as if it was a real set.

ABC - Always Be Clicking (bricks together)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm eyeing off the t rex rampage set, scale issues be damned.

Anyone actually have this set and can recommend it?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Orvin posted:

That looks like the start of a really cool looking used car lot.

Can't wait to see the salesmen minfigs, bad suits and widow's peak hair.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=92081&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Carbohydrates posted:

What in particular earns it this distinction? The '89 is my favorite Batmobile, but I didn't really get excited about its set - admittedly, part of that is that it's enormous and I don't have the space.

A number of things, but they all boil down fundamentally to really good and interesting Lego engineering. Building it has been a treat because it's clear that thought went into every step, every connection, every angle. I've gotten used to Lego's more recent tendency to "Chekhov's Gun" elements - that is, begin an element early on only to have it sit there for 2/3 of the build untouched until it finally serves some pivotal function in the home stretch - and the 89 Batmobile takes that to new heights, in my experience. Foundations for structural, functional, and aesthetic elements are laid within the first twenty steps that in some cases continue making new connections right up until the end. On top of this, they've done a masterful job of reinforcing joints and connections through novel and combined methods, so you get a build that's not only very refined, but extremely robust. The UCS Slave 1 could have benefitted from a similar level of attention to structural integrity.

Further, they've used some very clever techniques to achieve some of the very un-Lego angles that make the 89 Batmobile distinctive. There are constant surprises along the way, and the way itself is an absolute joy. As much fun as it was assembling the Saturn V and discovering all of its surprises, I've long held that its instructions should have been printed in reverse order, because each subsequent section is less interesting than its predecessor. The Batmobile, despite having some 1400 more pieces, has had no dips, valleys, or descents in the build process. The marriage of technic and Lego has been primo. So far, it's just been a total pleasure.

And the final product is frrrreaaaking gorgeous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I put the creator mustang together over the weekend, and in the vein of holy poo poo moments the way they hinged the doors blew my mind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Habibi posted:

A number of things, but they all boil down fundamentally to really good and interesting Lego engineering. Building it has been a treat because it's clear that thought went into every step, every connection, every angle. I've gotten used to Lego's more recent tendency to "Chekhov's Gun" elements - that is, begin an element early on only to have it sit there for 2/3 of the build untouched until it finally serves some pivotal function in the home stretch - and the 89 Batmobile takes that to new heights, in my experience. Foundations for structural, functional, and aesthetic elements are laid within the first twenty steps that in some cases continue making new connections right up until the end. On top of this, they've done a masterful job of reinforcing joints and connections through novel and combined methods, so you get a build that's not only very refined, but extremely robust. The UCS Slave 1 could have benefitted from a similar level of attention to structural integrity.

Further, they've used some very clever techniques to achieve some of the very un-Lego angles that make the 89 Batmobile distinctive. There are constant surprises along the way, and the way itself is an absolute joy. As much fun as it was assembling the Saturn V and discovering all of its surprises, I've long held that its instructions should have been printed in reverse order, because each subsequent section is less interesting than its predecessor. The Batmobile, despite having some 1400 more pieces, has had no dips, valleys, or descents in the build process. The marriage of technic and Lego has been primo. So far, it's just been a total pleasure.

And the final product is frrrreaaaking gorgeous.

I agree with all of this. An all black car set has no reason to be as fun to build as it is, but I think it was the second most fun set I've built next to ninjago city. Which was fun for different reasons. it's just got so many clever connections and never makes you do the same thing for too long. You are constantly switching between detail, reinforcement and function.

And the results are gorgeous. just such a nice display piece and the play features are fun to screw around with. I slide the canopy a couple of times a day :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I figured a good New Year’s Day activity could be sorting out Lego but it just makes me realize I need storage bins for all the different pieces but I don’t want to have to leave the house today to go buy something suitable.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I love your coffee maker. That's awesome!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

drgitlin posted:

I figured a good New Year’s Day activity could be sorting out Lego but it just makes me realize I need storage bins for all the different pieces but I don’t want to have to leave the house today to go buy something suitable.
You can start with ziplock baggies if you have any on hand, and then transfer to bins later.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Our shared Christmas lego set between me and my sisters this year was the treehouse, for which I very much enjoyed my part of the building - really cute little bathroom details

When I ordered it I bought myself the ship in a bottle because it was discounted and about to go out of print I think, and lol did they really put the Lego designer's initials on the fuckin bottle and not the fan's? Dick move

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tomapot posted:

Can't wait to see the salesmen minfigs, bad suits and widow's peak hair.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=92081&idColor=11#T=C&C=11
That is the exact hair I intended to use for the sales guy, yeah. Too obvious? Maybe, but I don't care.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Butterfly Valley posted:

When I ordered it I bought myself the ship in a bottle because it was discounted and about to go out of print I think, and lol did they really put the Lego designer's initials on the fuckin bottle and not the fan's? Dick move

I grabbed the Ship in a Bottle a few days ago too because it's already difficult to find here in Australia (stuff seems to disappear from here earlier than it does in some other countries).

The fan designer posted:

While I admit I would have been very happy to have my initials on an official lego element, the designer did completely adapt the design for lego. The wax seal was his idea, I thought it was a nice touch.

But yeah, would have been better to have the fan's name I think.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Carbohydrates posted:

That is the exact hair I intended to use for the sales guy, yeah. Too obvious? Maybe, but I don't care.
No way, cliches are based in reality.

This was the other one I was thinking of, the smooth side-part.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3901#T=C

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I picked up the new Speed Champions Audi today. It really is a super good-looking build, even moreso in person than in pictures. It's hefty and impressive, and having two minifigs side-by-side is really nice. It is truly enormous, though. Can't display it with my SC cars or with minifigs standing near it. It's currently gonna hang out with the Caterham and Mustang on my "non minifig scale" car shelf. So, I guess I'm still unsure about the 8-wide switch, but I am excited about the new possibilities it offers.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Carbohydrates posted:

I picked up the new Speed Champions Audi today. It really is a super good-looking build, even moreso in person than in pictures. It's hefty and impressive, and having two minifigs side-by-side is really nice. It is truly enormous, though. Can't display it with my SC cars or with minifigs standing near it. It's currently gonna hang out with the Caterham and Mustang on my "non minifig scale" car shelf. So, I guess I'm still unsure about the 8-wide switch, but I am excited about the new possibilities it offers.

I love Rally cars in general but the pics haven’t been doing it for me. Glad to hear maybe it’s better in person...

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Feenix posted:

I love Rally cars in general but the pics haven’t been doing it for me. Glad to hear maybe it’s better in person...
Honestly, I saw 2 photo reviews and 1 youtube review and I was still feeling "ehhh." The Ferrari looks like the best of this wave, but I figured I'd get the Audi because my collection is very non-contemporary - but I wasn't that excited about it. As I built it, it really landed well with me and I very much like it now, so yeah, I'd say if you're interested conceptually, it's a very worthy buy. The big bummer here is that the wheels stick out past the fenders when they should be pretty deeply recessed, but maybe I'll figure out something to deal with that.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Carbohydrates posted:

tomapot posted:

No way, cliches are based in reality.

This was the other one I was thinking of, the smooth side-part.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3901#T=C

If it's a used car lot, you could go with this:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=118159#T=C&C=3

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Carbohydrates posted:

<Me, thinking> New Speed Champs Audi? Huh, I have the R18, I wonder if it's something else...

Jesus christ it's the freaking Quattro <sheer exuberance of ordering frightens entire family>

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
This is also a very powerful choice.

edit: that hair with this torso? my god

Until I do build the dealership, this is my current display from our LUG's show today:

Got some good attention, with a couple old-timers able to identify all the cars on display without the assistance of the cards, and a few folks asking to buy some of them. Flattering!

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 2, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I stupidly warped about a dozen classic pieces including two 4/4 l-shaped bricks by letting them soak in a too-hot bowl of soapy water to clean the gunk off them. All the newer pieces are fine but drat, those are pieces I've had for 30+ years and except for being filthy were fine. Now they're ruined :( Very dumb and bad move on my part!

e:

Carbohydrates posted:

Got some good attention, with a couple old-timers able to identify all the cars on display without the assistance of the cards, and a few folks asking to buy some of them. Flattering!

Those are all really well done- I especially like the Datsuns!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Checked out a Target, Myer and Kmart this evening looking for the new speed champions Audi. They were all pretty much cleared out of ALL lego, and not one had a single speed champions set at all. Very disappointed. I’d happily order it online but lego Australia charge a minimum $12.50 shipping which is outrageous imo. Also looks like that Mini Cooper s-works play set will be going away soon. I think I’ve missed out on it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I stupidly warped about a dozen classic pieces including two 4/4 l-shaped bricks by letting them soak in a too-hot bowl of soapy water to clean the gunk off them. All the newer pieces are fine but drat, those are pieces I've had for 30+ years and except for being filthy were fine. Now they're ruined :( Very dumb and bad move on my part!

Thanks for the heads-up, having a good Lego wash is on the to-do list but warping bricks is not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Clean Lego in cold water.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I got a Falling Water set from eBay recently that had some dusty blocks and cat hair. I used some dish wash and water to clean up the bricks and rebuilt it once dried.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
For a surface cleaning I use the softest bristled toothbrush I can find at the store, I once used like a medium one and scratched up a few bits of the UCS Tumbler :(

But yeah cold water and dish soap is the gold standard

PowerBeard posted:

I got a Falling Water set from eBay recently that had some dusty blocks and cat hair. I used some dish wash and water to clean up the bricks and rebuilt it once dried.

Huh, I don't remember putting my Falling Water on ebay...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A brickwash might be a good idea, some of mine are still packed with modelling clay from my experimental single-digit years, which are rapidly approaching a quarter-century ago.

Not much I can do about the gold paint pen on the "special" items, unless alcohol would take that off.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Dogen posted:

For a surface cleaning I use the softest bristled toothbrush I can find at the store, I once used like a medium one and scratched up a few bits of the UCS Tumbler :(
Natural (horse) hair paintbrush. Won't scratch plastic. Plus you can get a few with different sizes/tips for different surfaces.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, the double GFP bonus of christmas tree & mini batmobile really spoiled me.

Went to my city's lego store to grab the new speed champions sets, the only bonus they're running is a little keychain brick. :(

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

drgitlin posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, having a good Lego wash is on the to-do list but warping bricks is not.

New bricks can take the heat but the older ones are made of a less durable plastic- which I knew about- but failed to take precaution. At least they’re all clean now :v:

Learning about Samsonite LEGO and realizing that’s what virtually all of my “classic” pieces are. The logo font on the brick pegs is different.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How hot was the water?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

New bricks can take the heat but the older ones are made of a less durable plastic- which I knew about- but failed to take precaution. At least they’re all clean now :v:

Learning about Samsonite LEGO and realizing that’s what virtually all of my “classic” pieces are. The logo font on the brick pegs is different.

Really? I never noticed. How old are your "classic" pieces?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Water was steaming hot, probably 50-70 degrees Celsius or as hot as it comes out of the tap with the new water heater. I notice the floating boats advise against anything above 40. D’oh!

I honestly have no idea how old these pieces are, at least 35 years. They’re visibly made of different plastic- shinier (but not glossy like mega blocks) and more translucent under light. All of them are red or white. I can’t find any information about why the embossed logo would be different or when it would have changed- all the LEGO logo info I see is about their corporate logo not what’s on the bricks. As I’m in North America I chalk this up to them being samsonite pieces, which I am just learning about.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Here’s a dumb question- I ordered some 2020 sets online, including the backordered Mandalorian battle pack. Is the backordered thing gonna hold up the rest of my order?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dogen posted:

Here’s a dumb question- I ordered some 2020 sets online, including the backordered Mandalorian battle pack. Is the backordered thing gonna hold up the rest of my order?

No, they should ship as available.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That's what I thought, but I've gotten like two emails about that item being backordered and the rest of the order hasn't shipped yet, which is unusual.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw that battle pack. Is one of them actually the Mandalorian? Because honestly, I couldn’t tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

I saw that battle pack. Is one of them actually the Mandalorian? Because honestly, I couldn’t tell.

All Mandalorians are the Mandalorian, or none of them are.