Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

cool cool Cool COOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I'm pretty unconvinced Iran actually has the clandestine power projection John Dolan seems to think they have. My bet for retaliations will be some kind of relatively large bombing or militia attack in Iraq.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Tempora Mutantur posted:

if lions led by donkeys has taught me one thing, it's that iraq and iran have a massive bodycount against one another over the last 50 years, including 45,000+ just due to a battle that involved electrified swamp water, so I'm gonna guess quite a few iraqi would cheer the death of an iranian military leader who's responsible for killing their countrymen in general

no

iraq is a shiite majority country that was ruled by a sunni dictator during the iran-iraq war.

the US helpfully removed saddam hussein, the dynamics are completely different. iraq is a divided country with different factions but far, far more pro-iran that it is pro-american.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Just enjoying the few moments I have off from work and oh hey why is the middle east thread got like 10 new pages? Oh I guess something happened in tur :stonk:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cda posted:

Oh no their precious sovereignty lmao

that’s...that’s how countries function.

outside of puppets and there is no way they willingly go that route

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

really queer Christmas posted:

Just enjoying the few moments I have off from work and oh hey why is the middle east thread got like 10 new pages? Oh I guess something happened in tur :stonk:

yeah i logged on to twitter earlier shortly after confirmation of the deaths and all i was seeing were people's responses / reactions.

the 1-2 min of sheer panic i had until i figured out what was exactly going on was something i look forward to repeating for every breaking news story from now until the end of time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A gypsy put a curse on me that said “The girl that I marry has got to be an Airborne Ranger with a CIB”. Looks like I’m getting hitched imminently.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the idea that Iran is just going to take this on the chin or do some low key, stealth bombings or whatever is pretty naive. they're gonna hit back and hit back hard.

no one is afraid of trump.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

yeah i logged on to twitter earlier shortly after confirmation of the deaths and all i was seeing were people's responses / reactions.

the 1-2 min of sheer panic i had until i figured out what was exactly going on was something i look forward to repeating for every breaking news story from now until the end of time

Remember when we thought Hawaii was gonna get nuked? Good times

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cool dance moves posted:

Remember when we thought Hawaii was gonna get nuked? Good times
never bought into that but this gives me the heebie jeebies

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Press TV is reporting that Soleimani had "information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton"

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

that’s...that’s how countries function.

outside of puppets and there is no way they willingly go that route

As a country that has been mercilessly hosed with by America for 70 years, I don't think this is going to surprise them. They're pursuing a long term strategy for actual sovereignty. It is not a binary - you're sovereign or you're not - and the idea that they have to respond directly to this because otherwise they're giving up something that they very well know they already don't have is silly. Unlike the in the US, Iranian officials aren't dumb as dogshit.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Press TV is reporting that Soleimani had "information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton"

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1212947131679625217

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

KaptainKrunk posted:

the idea that Iran is just going to take this on the chin or do some low key, stealth bombings or whatever is pretty naive. they're gonna hit back and hit back hard.

Iran's leaders have tended to be provocative but cautious, and they have a lot to lose at this point. The US is still massively more powerful than they are, so inviting a devastating response would be idiotic, and I don't think they'll take that route.

That said, Trump throwing poo poo like this on top of the economic war does put us closer to the threshold where they decide the US won't settle for anything less than their destruction anyway, so they go for it. I just don't think we're there quite yet.

Dr Kool-AIDS has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Jan 3, 2020

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Sinteres posted:

Iran's leaders have tended to be provocative but cautious, and they have a lot to lose at this point. The US is still massively more powerful than they are, so inviting a devastating response would be idiotic, and I don't think they'll take that route.

Yeah exactly.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

This just makes Barbara Lee whip so much more.

:d2a:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chuka Umana posted:

lmao at everyone thinking this is going to mean anything other than:

media claiming "tensions are high in the region" for a few weeks
iran releasing some "death to america death to israel we're super serious this time" statements
everyone forgets about this and move on be the end of the weekend.

i hope you are right

i fear you are wrong

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KaptainKrunk posted:

im pretty scared of trump carpet bombing lots of brown people for no goddamn reason

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

cool dance moves posted:

Iirc war nerd said iran and hezbollah work together real close, including in Hezbollah's assassination plots. So I'm guessing iran wouldn't flatten Saudi arabia over this, but probably take the more subtle approach of merking some dudes really important to US designs in the region

hezbollah once kidnapped the cia station chief in beirut and tortured him to death

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/reviews/capsule-review/2019-02-12/beirut-rules-murder-cia-station-chief-and-hezbollahs-war-against

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

fknlo posted:

I honestly don't see how they could just sit back and do nothing after this. To say that it would show weakness both internally and externally is probably an understatement.

They could wait 11 months and have normalized relations with the U.S.. That would be a sign of immense strength.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

this deserves a re-listen too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ6Tzij-Pbs

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Addamere posted:

im pretty scared of trump carpet bombing lots of brown people for no goddamn reason

So the same old, same old?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

cool dance moves posted:

merking some dudes really important to US designs in the region

inshallah

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbh i dunno if we'd even send/need a carrier group in a ground invasion of iran. the saudis will just let us use their airbases

The thing about surface to surface missiles is - what airbases?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

That said, Trump throwing poo poo like this on top of the economic war does put us closer to the threshold where they decide the US won't settle for anything less than their destruction anyway, so they go for it. I just don't think we're there quite yet.

But they're going to do something. And that will probably provoke another US response. How many times does that repeat before it all melts down?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

fknlo posted:

But they're going to do something. And that will probably provoke another US response. How many times does that repeat before it all melts down?

Skipping straight to suicide is still a bad option. They may as well see if they can drag us into another fight they can win in Iraq instead of losing everything from the get go.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

trying real hard to channel that getfiscal energy rn

*sportscaster voice* it’s been a long off-season and I think nobody is really sure exactly what Iran is going to show us out in the field

*sportscaster #2 voice* well Jim the millennium challenge was a hell of a scrimmage wasn’t it? I’m telling you, if I were in charge of a carrier group I’d be brewing some extra coffee tonight

*sportscaster #1 voice* bill no one can say with certainty but if the Iranians are really looking to show their stuff and by stuff I definitely mean asymmetric war tactics, their first target, they are going to hit anything but a carrier group. when’s that Saudi aramco IPO again?

*2* fair enough and for the Iranians, they’ve gotta play chess here. without air superiority, you can’t just merk a dude to distract from your impeachment and an embassy tailgate party gone south

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lol

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Dunno how comforting this is but I'm gonna post it: if the attempted coup in venezuela is any indication, trump is going to lose interest in two weeks and everything will go back to "normal" because the president of the united states is a toddler

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cool dance moves posted:

Dunno how comforting this is but I'm gonna post it: if the attempted coup in venezuela is any indication, trump is going to lose interest in two weeks and everything will go back to "normal" because the president of the united states is a toddler

Except the Iranians aren't going to forget about this. We'll be feeling the consequences of this for years to come even if it doesn't lead to a full on war.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cool dance moves posted:

Iraq's all but guaranteed to go up in flames over this, so I don't think he'll have the luxury of losing interest right away. His party's a lot more dedicated to loving Iran than they are to loving Venezuela too, other than maybe Rubio.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sum posted:

I'm pretty unconvinced Iran actually has the clandestine power projection John Dolan seems to think they have. My bet for retaliations will be some kind of relatively large bombing or militia attack in Iraq.

Between Lebanon and Pakistan they have a huge ability to project power and call in favors from all the groups, governments, and political parties that they help out. Outside of that region it's less clear, but that's a big area to suddenly become dangerous for american interests. hth

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cool dance moves posted:

Except that he just killed a national hero who was the heir-apparent and personal friend of the Supreme Leader of Iran, plus a number of other important people from organisations that hold huge grudges. They won't let things get back to normal.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Yeah nevermind that was a dumb post on my part

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Except that he just killed a national hero who was the heir-apparent and personal friend of the Supreme Leader of Iran, plus a number of other important people from organisations that hold huge grudges. They won't let things get back to normal.

Iran's a theocracy, he wasn't the heir apparent.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I’m curious to see what shoes #2 through N will be when they drop

remember that US ally Japan did not corroborate the story about the tanker.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/06/18/national/politics-diplomacy/japan-distancing-u-s-claims-iranian-involvement-tanker-attacks/

Iran must have taken that whole fiasco as a signal.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

cool dance moves posted:

Yeah nevermind that was a dumb post on my part

You'd be right if it was just a Trump thing and it required consistent effort on the part of the US.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

cool dance moves posted:

I'm less worried about Trump than the NaSec ghouls that are coming out of the woodwork to slobber all over this.

Hell they even wheeled Karl Rove out onto Fox News to talk about this.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

IWW Online Branch posted:

Except the Iranians aren't going to forget about this. We'll be feeling the consequences of this for years to come even if it doesn't lead to a full on war.

I guess. The thing is, if you're Iran, what do you do differently than you were already doing?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
They literally killed the guy who was the specific Iranian go between for every shia aligned militia and military in the entire region, so yes, it potentially has a lot of legs and those groups as a whole have a lot of capacity to stir up a mountain of poo poo.

In practice, who the gently caress knows what will happen, it's way too early to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

cool dance moves posted:

trump did not "lose interest" in venezuela, guaido or whoever is still there attempting to shoot down colombian airplanes with us money