Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

Got some bad news about that actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc&t=23s

it was a bad joke :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

So anyone remember Millenium Challenge 2002? Was red's strategy ever discredited (by someone who wasn't already discredited by red's strategy?) Because this seems like a good time to point out that Iran has the capability to wipe out our Persian Gulf fleet in less than a day.

They don't like us enough.

Oh yeah that was a bunch of bullshit. Millenium Challenge 2007 was basically won by spawn camping. The exercise was set up stupidly and the red force commander exploited it to the hilt.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Youth Decay posted:

You know Bernie is going to come out with an equally equivocating statement, right?

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Luckyellow posted:

It's literally named "The Democratic People's Republic of Korea"

It's not a straight up theocracy government dude.

Just a dictatorship where the supreme leader is considered a god, that's all

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mat Cauthon posted:

The person quoted there isn't a right wing hack or a bot and their point is valid - Warren's response, like many of the centrist Democrat responses, is poo poo because it justifies the action but only criticizes the way in which it was done. It's politically useless.

Do you remember the run-up to the Iraq invasion? A huge chunk of right-wing rhetoric was "oh, so you oppose the war? You must love noted torturer and war criminal Saddam Hussein then. Why do you love Saddam so much, why do you think it was a good thing he gassed the Kurds, etc etc etc"

The messaging isn't perfect and the rhetoric should be much stronger, but Warren's campaign is not trying to justify the assassination. It's trying to head off "this is okay because he was a really, really bad guy" arguments by saying from the get-go that, no matter how bad he was, this is still a loving terrible idea.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Invoking the tiger-scaring rock is beneath you intellectually

I was being a bit facetious, but my point remains: there's really no reason to preface statements on this with "He was a monster BUT..." This post does a better job of describing why than I've been doing, admittedly:

Flip Yr Wig posted:

He's a major world leader. By definition he is a bad guy. But prefacing every statement about his assassination in those terms is a deliberate frame that obscures the immense shittyness of the choice to kill him.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

And yes, Warren having to preface her statement with "ok we assassinated a bad guy but...." is politics.

It's poo poo politics. Her take sounds like "Offing this dude is justified, but taking action is reckless. Vote for inaction!" There are plenty of ways to phrase it that don't sound like you're both justifying the killing and a wimp.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

So anyone remember Millenium Challenge 2002? Was red's strategy ever discredited (by someone who wasn't already discredited by red's strategy?) Because this seems like a good time to point out that Iran has the capability to wipe out our Persian Gulf fleet in less than a day.

Wtf do you even mean by that bolded statement? Anyone who disagrees with the red strategy in that exercise, has already been pre-discredited by the fact that red won the wargame?

As with any military exercise, both sides made major and sometimes questionable assumptions. The story of "a bunch of speedboats and Cessnas with anti-ship missiles, co-ordinates by motorcycle messengers zerg rushes world's largest navy" makes for good headlines, but whether or not a real world US navy fleet would actually be concentrated so closely to the Iranian coastline, whether or not low tech means of communication would have the necessary speed and reliability to coordinate such a massive singular attack, and whether or not speedboats and Cessnas can actually carry missiles large enough to destroy aircraft carriers, are not questions that journalists tend to ask.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Flip Yr Wig posted:

From what I understand, he largely gamed some loopholes. Something like bike messengers traveling insanely fast or carrying infinite weight.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

on a couple of levels yes, on a couple of levels no. Van Ripper's actions were a mix of "cheating" (hey, what if I didn't use communications I knew to be tapped, or used anti-air weapons on VTOL aircraft) and straight-up cheating (loading down speedboats with a couple dozen missiles bigger than they were, because the simulation didn't enforce tonnage limits).

OK, thank you. Knowing about weight limit cheating puts some of the panic out of my system.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

I'd call anyone that doesn't need to poo poo and can shoot a perfect round of golf a god. :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's poo poo politics. Her take sounds like "Offing this dude is justified, but taking action is reckless. Vote for inaction!" There are plenty of ways to phrase it that don't sound like you're both justifying the killing and a wimp.

Bernie didn't even mention the guy. He called it an escalation, because there was probably better ways of neutralizing his plans than killing him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

OctaMurk posted:

Wtf do you even mean by that bolded statement? Anyone who disagrees with the red strategy in that exercise, has already been pre-discredited by the fact that red won the wargame?

No, I meant people that were neither butt-hurt opponents or specifically stood to profit from the technologies being demonstrated by the game.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, because I bet you were just chomping at the bit to back Obama when he was droning people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

Some trends just take a while to make it over to America.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

terrorist ambulance posted:

Who are you talking to. Right wing? Bot? What?

Also, talking about the ineffectual and misplaced lib responses to war is fair game. Lindsey graham is out there literally saying they're going to start bombing refineries and her response is well he was a bad guy but we shouldn't have killed him this way. Why are liberal politicians incapable of just making a simple, moral case? Would it be so hard to say this was a terrible mistake? Why is their instinct always to negotiate against themselves?

Is there some other, better time to talk about their ineffectiveness when they're the politicians most able to start rallying opposition to what may happen?

Any politician who just says 'this was WRONG' will get 100% owned if it is proven that in fact he was planning an immediate bombing.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Abner Assington posted:

My dream in life is to move out of this stupid country and never come back. Shame being a graphic designer is probably the least desired career path for an immigrant.

At least your job exists in other countries. But if we go to Stupid War and alienate the rest of the world and debt extradition stops being a thing maybe it doesn't matter that I'll have to start over completely.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Yeah I got that, just figured it appreciably ironic that we can’t even offer that level of fascism.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Discussing the degree of equivocation in tweets condemning the assassination is valid, but it's also really not the most productive or important topic atm. I'd like it to not be what dominates the thread.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I agree, probably the Warren tweet should have been saved for the primary thread. Since it adds no new information or nuance to the topic and is just primary chat bait.

Trump just won reelection.

Trump just lost reelection.

Warren just lost the election.

These are easy and provocative statements but they dont mean anything and the people making them dont know what will happen anymore than anyone else. It's just a waste and doesn't contribute anything.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Invoking the tiger-scaring rock is beneath you intellectually

do you remember the version of you fifteen years ago who was screaming for more Iraqi blood. because it was the only sensible way to show America was still strong.

do you remember all the wheedling little ways you told yourself that it was okay, it was good, it was righteous, the libs just hated america, any day now it would prove to have all been worth it.

do you remember the day those walls fell, and the realization of what you had been cheering for crashed down on you.

what say we hurry up the process a little bit this time around, hm?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

OK, thank you. Knowing about weight limit cheating puts some of the panic out of my system.

Again, to be clear, direct war with Iran would still be incredibly destructive and unwinnable. It just wouldn't resemble someone breaking a Paradox game.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

UnknownTarget posted:

I like this post.

Also, in a hot war, there will be a draft or we lose. We barely "won" the last one because we depleted all our national guard units.

Yeah, our military got stretched thin during the Bush wars in the 2000's. And that was nothing compared to an all out war with Iran.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KV_nIgg008

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Again, to be clear, direct war with Iran would still be incredibly destructive and unwinnable. It just wouldn't resemble someone breaking a Paradox game.

Agreed. I mean "It's nice to know we probably wouldn't lose an entire fleet in less than a day". I'm taking the consolations I can.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

do you remember the version of you fifteen years ago who was screaming for more Iraqi blood. because it was the only sensible way to show America was still strong.

do you remember all the wheedling little ways you told yourself that it was okay, it was good, it was righteous, the libs just hated america, any day now it would prove to have all been worth it.

do you remember the day those walls fell, and the realization of what you had been cheering for crashed down on you.

what say we hurry up the process a little bit this time around, hm?

I'm not going to take lessons on good messaging from someone who is as radically tone deaf for how insane they sound as you, thanks

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Interweb posted:

*nervously tugs collar, pulls down tie*: boy did i pick the wrong week to apply for u.s. citizenship!

They'll run it like the Union did in the 1860's "Welcome to America, just sign here. You are now a citizen, here's your uniform, off to the front"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

make no mistake: if this turns into a full-on invasion of Iran, it will be the first time American troops have died enough to impact operational efficiency since Vietnam. the Strait can be mined, Scuds are not hard to aim, you can only AEGIS so many cruise missiles down before you need to reload, and while "we will be greeted as liberators" proved to be a hideously bloody joke in Iraq, by comparison to the reception we'll get in Iran the Iraqis might as well have said "please come into my house and gently caress my sister."

but in a world where we both stand up at each other and punch until the other guy falls down, we win this one, just at more of a cost in American lives than we've seen since the 70s.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Any politician who just says 'this was WRONG' will get 100% owned if it is proven that in fact he was planning an immediate bombing.

Why do you think anyone who isn't already onboard with an invasion will care? Even if we accept your premise that one can prove he was planning an immediate bombing, which one really can't.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

cochise posted:

I'd call anyone that doesn't need to poo poo and can shoot a perfect round of golf a god. :colbert:

All hail God Trump

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/elintnews/status/1212964103540690945?s=21

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not going to take lessons on good messaging from someone who is as radically tone deaf for how insane they sound as you, thanks

do you remember back when you were a die-hard Iraq War supporter, theflyingorc.

do you remember how mercilessly you were played by the Bush administration, to support his war of choice, and all the deaths of innocents attendant to it.

do you remember the shame when you realized this.

you really don't have to meet Donald Trump halfway, you know. it's an option.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

make no mistake: if this turns into a full-on invasion of Iran, it will be the first time American troops have died enough to impact operational efficiency since Vietnam. the Strait can be mined, Scuds are not hard to aim, you can only AEGIS so many cruise missiles down before you need to reload, and while "we will be greeted as liberators" proved to be a hideously bloody joke in Iraq, by comparison to the reception we'll get in Iran the Iraqis might as well have said "please come into my house and gently caress my sister."

but in a world where we both stand up at each other and punch until the other guy falls down, we win this one, just at more of a cost in American lives than we've seen since the 70s.

If the war gets that hot, I don't believe the voting public has the appetite to see it through. Now, we can certainly speculate about how our general democratic backsliding and GOP spike in fascism will interplay with that, but I don't know how accurate any of us would be.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

do you remember back when you were a die-hard Iraq War supporter, theflyingorc.

do you remember how mercilessly you were played by the Bush administration, to support his war of choice, and all the deaths of innocents attendant to it.

do you remember the shame when you realized this.

you really don't have to meet Donald Trump halfway, you know. it's an option.

No, i don't remember that, what is wrong with you, i was tacitly Republican and didn't vote. What the gently caress are you even doing right now

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

With respect to the congresspeople getting uppity about the mostly irrelevant question of congressional authorization, someone offsite linked me this:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/when-does-president-think-he-can-go-war-iran

tl;dr: it's pretty easy to make a legal case for the President just up and going to war with Iran, but especially so if Iran pulls some poo poo.

My reading is that by committing an act of war that is fairly easily justified under the AUMF (the gift that keeps on giving) the stage is now set up to be able to do whatever we want in response to Iranian retaliation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. we as a country are not loving ready for that casualty rate. lions led by donkeys did a multiple part on the iran iraq war and yeah its gonna be loving horrible.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. we as a country are not loving ready for that casualty rate. lions led by donkeys did a multiple part on the iran iraq war and yeah its gonna be loving horrible.

A good pod

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its a great pod.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Idahoant posted:

Trump just won reelection.

Trump just lost reelection.

Warren just lost the election.

These are easy and provocative statements but they dont mean anything and the people making them dont know what will happen anymore than anyone else. It's just a waste and doesn't contribute anything.

That's basically exactly the point I was trying to make. It's basically entirely why I often shudder at twitter stuff being brought into the thread. That's the stuff that gets tossed around twitter constantly and a good chunk of the reason the platform has become as intolerable for many as it has because it offers far more proactive statements designed to get replies and kick things into a cycle of petty arguing and "keeping score" than it does debate and discussion. It's just very easy to do far better than that, even if it will probably take until tomorrow or even Monday to get a full grasp of the situation and just how far Trump is spinning out this time.

If anything it's just another illustration to me of how erratic Trump is and how he makes every decision based on what he sees as "ratings" precisely in the moment. If I move these troops out of Northern Syria maybe people will praise me for "bringing Obama's war closer to a close". What this embassy was attacked? Oh right Benghazi.....classic anti-Obama talking point and I have a chance to "do Benghazi right now". Okay Esper find me a target? Oh also put more troops here so I can post about it on my twitter and how I did the Anti-Benghazi unlike Obama and Hillary okay? Good.

That's about how I figure it all went down. Even now I figure a lot of people, pundits, voters and politicians alike just seem too assign too much long term decision making to Trump when all evidence points to him only being able to say or do what he thinks will get him the most applause and praise from his preferred sources in the moment and bonus points if it can be used to slag one of "but my enemies", which in the end is all that ultimately matters to him. This weekend and the 72 hour news cycle, that's almost certainly as far ahead as he's looking at it. Forget the election in November and trying to set up a more favorable position. An excuse to rage at CNN and "the fake news" if one of their pundits criticizes him and a chance to promote Jeanine Pirro or whatever Fox News personality blows his horn the hardest and quickest. I doubt the election is even a real consideration for him until there's a general election opponent and he has a face to make an enemy of and then that'll be literally all you hear about period. It'll be all consuming for his myriad twitter posts.

Kale fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 3, 2020

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

For the past couple years I have been doing information tech stuff in the industrial control space and I am much much more terrified at a full on and coordinated attack on the cyberspace front. Hostile nations have been probing and prodding our critical infrastructure for years and as someone in that arena I can confidently say we aren't prepared to defend it. The next major conflict might start with a bomb but it will get real when the power just goes out and just in time delivery infrastructure collapses overnight, and honestly that's just the low hanging fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Losing a carrier to a Silkworm would be the equivalent of the Battle of Antietam or D-Day in terms of American casualties.

The thing about the SCUDs now is that they'll be impossible to find. Trump tweeted out the satellite we use to when the Iranians had a launchpad accident, so they can now time when to pull them out, launch them, then hide them and cover the tracks.