Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, I forgot about the chocolate covered flowers joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

"Not as many rape jokes as you'd expect" is a helluva phrase

Eh it's still better than most places online.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, I forgot about the chocolate covered flowers joke.

Still one of my favorites after all these years

This one too:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It’s 18 years old, I expected it to be 75% rjbv.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Still one of my favorites after all these years

This one too:

Dude on the far right looking way too close to Joel from The Last of Us.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

we all want to get old but being old looks like it sucks a lot. all your friends are dead and you keep making GBS threads yourself, like yeah okay im real enthusiastic about that life

pages back, but gently caress you

i am what i am and will continue to be what i am until i am not

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Uwe Boll v Lowtax
Photoshop Friday (All Your Base Are Belong To Us, movie posters with anagrams especially, but many others)
Let's Plays
Party Hard
:frogout:
:parrot:
:iiam:
:dealwithit:
"I'm In Your Base Killing Your Dudes"
Chuck Norris facts
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
OH SHI-
ORLY?
Awesome smiley
Not many people know it, but SA is also to blame for Demonoid and What.cd
Derek Smart having any kind of relevance

Then there's a bunch of people who probably need to be mentioned?
Cliffy B, deadmau5, Yatzee

I dunno if live streaming of vidya gayms on Twitch counts as a whole, but goons certainly were some of the first to do it on ustream

Fun (not really) fact, I was the third listed mirror for the all your base video, hosted on my dsl line during the “every company in the world offered dsl but forgot to Bill people” time of the internet. I didn’t even have an sa account at the time and I don’t recall how it came to be. Someone in the slashdot folk I hung out with must have been the reason.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

dee eight posted:

pages back, but gently caress you

i am what i am and will continue to be what i am until i am not

we will all be what we once were before we started

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
except modly for a while i guess i dont know

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mind you, back then it was still the heyday of the "edgiest humor wins" style of comedy where it was a point to pride to make the most broadly-offensive joke possible.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

I Said No posted:

I always thought banning MSpaint threads was a mistake myself. We just never really got any cool content/adventure threads after that was put in, stuff like Dropsy or Microbe or Red/Yellow/Blue. I'm still not sure if the ban was ever technically lifted.

since this never got completely addressed MSpaint threads aren't banned but adventure threads were softbanned from GBS to TG unless they were significantly non rpg like.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Probably doesn't fit the intent of the list enough to include, but, the saga of a poster who made a celebrated thread about his work with Peter Madsen's Copenhagen Suborbitals team and how his experiences became sadly very relevant to the international news story of one Kim Wall's disappearance

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Elfgames posted:

since this never got completely addressed MSpaint threads aren't banned but adventure threads were softbanned from GBS to TG unless they were significantly non rpg like.
Yeah, I remember it was half "content creators :lol:" (following that whole thing) and half "we can't run CYOA here anymore without :gas: and verbal diarrhea killing the thread" and then once they got shipped to TG (which overall sucked for the smaller ones because it killed views of course) there were a couple heavy-fingered mods or something that were like "Welp, you have your own place now don't post here."

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I forgot how much it looks like a render of a bathroom

Looks like a fine kitchen for cannibals from that angle

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
given recent events, I'm assuming some goon in D&D, C-SPAM, or maybe GBS has posted, "WATCH TRUMP START A loving WAR" in the last 12 hours?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

given recent events, I'm assuming some goon in D&D, C-SPAM, or maybe GBS has posted, "WATCH TRUMP START A loving WAR" in the last 12 hours?

There’s a thread in C‐SPAM that has had that title since December of 2017.

It’s also recently become the subtitle of the Middle East thread.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
excellent to see the traditions carry on :corsair:

(I'd have looked myself but I'm on mobile which makes it a bit :effort: )

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Riffing on Grover:

Sestze posted:

How long will it take to capture Tehran? 2 days
Will Hassan Rouhani be killed? Yes
Total Iranian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iran: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iranian army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Quds fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Hassan launch attacks on the Saudis? Yes
Will Hassan launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Hassan sacrifice Tehran (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Saudis make a grab for territory? Yes
Will Azerbaijan do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Hassan burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iran? ~15 years
Will the Iran war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

edit gently caress

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Uwe Boll v Lowtax
Photoshop Friday (All Your Base Are Belong To Us, movie posters with anagrams especially, but many others)
Let's Plays
Party Hard
:frogout:
:parrot:
:iiam:
:dealwithit:
"I'm In Your Base Killing Your Dudes"
Chuck Norris facts
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
OH SHI-
ORLY?
Awesome smiley
Not many people know it, but SA is also to blame for Demonoid and What.cd
Derek Smart having any kind of relevance

Then there's a bunch of people who probably need to be mentioned?
Cliffy B, deadmau5, Yatzee

I dunno if live streaming of vidya gayms on Twitch counts as a whole, but goons certainly were some of the first to do it on ustream

Oh! I remember Chuck Norris facts started as Vin Diesel facts and had more of an absurdist flavor to them, like poo poo about how the moon is actually one of his eyes because he lost a bet or something. Then the focus became "Generic unbeatable guy", which is way more boring but that was the direction the winds of the Internet were taking, so :shrug:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Pentaro posted:

Oh! I remember Chuck Norris facts started as Vin Diesel facts and had more of an absurdist flavor to them, like poo poo about how the moon is actually one of his eyes because he lost a bet or something. Then the focus became "Generic unbeatable guy", which is way more boring but that was the direction the winds of the Internet were taking, so :shrug:

lol at me being the guy going HOLD UP THIS WAS STOLEN FROM A THREAD ON SOMETHINGAWFUL DOT COM when the chuck norris facts were everywhere

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was reminded today about keyboard goop and now you are too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Ban Me thread to which all other Ban Me threads will forever be compared. Wasn't that the guy that drew that old comic "Electric Retard" too?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't know how known it was off SA besides by the people being laughed at, but the thread about the crazy micronation cyborg furries was a good one.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Malatora is a saga that will forever burn, a giant :psyduck:-shaped pyre.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I remember in a similar reminiscing about old stuff thread somebody outted themselves as the keyboard goop guy and immediately got banned. I bet he's still around.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Malatora is a saga that will forever burn, a giant :psyduck:-shaped pyre.

I still have the PDF of some of the stories people wrote floating around somewhere on here. That was one of the threads that got me to register.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427893&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post394018576

Heres the thread from the archives

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I still have the PDF of some of the stories people wrote floating around somewhere on here. That was one of the threads that got me to register.

Aluminum Sky, right? I don't know who put in all the work to compile that, but bless them.

There was also In Golden Waters, which was the same thing for the libertarian seasteading nonsense, but it wasn't as good, possibly because the premise they were mocking wasn't as absurd on its face.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
What's the story behind "I'm in your base, killing your dudes?" I heard that one a long time ago but never knew it originated on SA.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

MelvinBison posted:

What's the story behind "I'm in your base, killing your dudes?" I heard that one a long time ago but never knew it originated on SA.

IIRC it was a FYAD flag and doesn't have a backstory.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Did SA create the Ate My Balls thing or is that even older than this website?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MelvinBison posted:

I recall reading a front page article written by elpintogrande where he played an RTS of some kind for the first time. It may have been StarCraft. I don't remember which one it was.

His story was pretty funny because he got matched up against someone who was probably 12 years old because they kept trash talking in the chat and that was one of the things they said.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Did SA create the Ate My Balls thing or is that even older than this website?

The first Ate My Balls page went up in May of 1996 according to this article.

This isn't from that particular site, but it sure is A Snapshot of a Time:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the slenderman talk is from a few pages back but i was watching a hilariously awful paranormal footage show last night and they said something like "writings of the legend of the slenderman originally surfaced on the dark web" and i laughed extremely hard

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MelvinBison posted:

I never thought it came from SA, but apparently so!

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/in-ur-base?full=1

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Didn't zoomzip and their remixes get started here?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Pastry of the Year posted:

The first Ate My Balls page went up in May of 1996 according to this article.

This isn't from that particular site, but it sure is A Snapshot of a Time:

Happy 22 year anniversary of the last update to that site!

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Speaking of ancient forums history try looking at the admin/mod contact directory in the rules page https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/3/

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Barnacle Jim is in World of Warcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Necros posted:

Barnacle Jim is in World of Warcraft.

Rip