Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In/spectre gadget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Clarste posted:

Darwin's Game is somewhat less trashy than it could be.
What a shame

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

first ep of Somali and the Forest Spirit is up a week early on crunchyroll. it's nice

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Tales of Woe posted:

first ep of Somali and the Forest Spirit is up a week early on crunchyroll. it's nice

Seconding that. It looks gorgeous and is lovely. I watched it early in the morning and it definitely made my day. Worked better for me than the beginning of the manga.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Erg posted:

Darwin’s game is standard death game tourney stuff but I fell off it pretty early.

I won't say whether it's good or bad overall, but let's just say that really weird poo poo has happened in Darwin's Game and calling it a "standard death game tourney" really isn't remotely accurate and hasn't been for a while. With that said, unless the anime goes super speed you probably won't see much/any of this - maybe the first hint something's weird if it's 24 episodes (I'm guessing 12, but haven't seen confirmation) and speeds a bit.

As in, the main two and a bunch of other Darwin's Game members are currently in an alternate world Meiji-era Japan where everyone has oni horns. Many apparently plan to stay behind too as opposed to trying to go back. Meanwhile main world Tokyo was attacked by incredibly strange monsters in plain sight. I may be leaving out a LOT of details and explanations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah I stopped at the fight with the ice kids or w/e

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bounced off the manga, but really enjoyed the first episode of Koisuru Asteroid. DogaKobo bringing some of their best work to kick it off - great OP and ED, fun, expressive light character work, excellent lighting and layouts. Good stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Somali is a gorgeous show.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Bounced off the manga, but really enjoyed the first episode of Koisuru Asteroid. DogaKobo bringing some of their best work to kick it off - great OP and ED, fun, expressive light character work, excellent lighting and layouts. Good stuff.

LET THE ASTEROID GIRLS KISS ALREADY DOGAKOBO :negative:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm wondering - what's the deal with the name Somali? Is it actually a regular Japanese name, is it a reference to the character in question actually being Somalian, or is it just an oddly coincidental fantasy name?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Pretty sure it's just a fantasy name.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The official English release of the manga uses "Somari" instead; I kinda wonder if that might have worked better to not throw people off due to her name also being a real-world word (that's a free chapter btw if anyone wants to check it out)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 4, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lord Koth posted:

I won't say whether it's good or bad overall, but let's just say that really weird poo poo has happened in Darwin's Game and calling it a "standard death game tourney" really isn't remotely accurate and hasn't been for a while. With that said, unless the anime goes super speed you probably won't see much/any of this - maybe the first hint something's weird if it's 24 episodes (I'm guessing 12, but haven't seen confirmation) and speeds a bit.

As in, the main two and a bunch of other Darwin's Game members are currently in an alternate world Meiji-era Japan where everyone has oni horns. Many apparently plan to stay behind too as opposed to trying to go back. Meanwhile main world Tokyo was attacked by incredibly strange monsters in plain sight. I may be leaving out a LOT of details and explanations.

It's literally just Gantz.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

2 shows into season and already liking it more than last thanks Somali and Asteroid Girls

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Regardless of whether you think it's good or bad, Darwin's Game does get points for how the MC takes out his first enemy. Or rather, how he doesn't, and instead a certain disadvantage of invisibility in a modern setting rears its head. :v:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Clarste posted:

It's literally just Gantz.

Does the series end with having a Hitler with boobs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Koth posted:

Regardless of whether you think it's good or bad, Darwin's Game does get points for how the MC takes out his first enemy. Or rather, how he doesn't, and instead a certain disadvantage of invisibility in a modern setting rears its head. :v:

I don't know what's started the trend of double-length series premiers, but it really does solve the issue a lot of shows have had with the first two eps often being a two-parter to put everything in place.

Though with Darwin's Game that sure was... a way to end the episode... :stare:.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Darwin's Game ep 1 was... certainly something. I don't know who was responsible for camera work but it was probably the most entertaining thing in whole ep, especially in the second part

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
The first episode of Magia Record was alright. Thoughts below;

Iroha was very much framed to evoke Madoka to the point I wondered for a moment if she was the amnesiac remnants of Godoka searching for her missing aspect, but it appears not. I'm cool with this being it own thing about new and different characters, but the OP implies that the original Quintet are going to appear, which isn't exactly a recipe for letting this show stand on it's own two feet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God only knows how the actual storytelling'll end up, but I tentatively really liked MagiReco 1. Definitely got the tone and aesthetic really right IMO.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm gonna watch Dorohedoro, and Somali, and the one about the VRMMO girl who puts all of her stat points in Vitality because she hates taking damage, and HeyaCamp.

And the continuation of Chihayafuru of course!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just found out Dorohedoro was snatched by Netflix and gently caress.

At least Somali seems to be cool.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Roth posted:

Just found out Dorohedoro was snatched by Netflix and gently caress.

At least Somali seems to be cool.
You could just find another stream...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's just annoying because I want to watch it hassle free on my TV. I guess I could just plex it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
First episode of Inspectre (Haha, I get it now) was okay. It has the air of a prose adaptation, which is kind of not great but also kind of charming at the same time. The actual premise is very meat and potatos. In fact, I think it's the kind of low key, not-exactly-mature-but-more-mature-than-usual take on what's pretty well-tread material that makes it memorable at all.

It might end up just being boring if poo poo doesn't start jumping off eventually/unseen depths are not plumbed, but it was a decent enough first episode

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

You could just find another stream...

Please support the official release

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Season's off to a pretty good start, IMO. Koisuru, Somali, MagiReco all with really strong premieres.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Based on MagiReco 1 the "just let Inucurry do everything" experiment at SHAFT seems to be a winning strategy.

Let's see how things progress. I have almost zero knowledge of the mobile game's story so I'm starting this ride from scratch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/EizoukenAnime/status/1213677399008669697

I would jump off a cliff if you told me there was a Yuasa anime at the bottom so I'm excited.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I made a magia record thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909246

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not planning to make a Somali thread (anyone interested can feel free of course) but would like to note that Golem Dad has been a regular topic in the Dad Manga thread so that's another option for talking about the show if nobody gets around to a thread at some point.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread added to op :toot:

quote:

:siren:Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV)
Shaft | Gekidan Inu Curry | Gekidan Inu Curry | Psychological, Drama, Magic, Thriller | Game | Jan 5, 2020
The stage is the growing city, Kamihama City. "Will you fight alongside me?" The meeting between the girls spins a new tale. Guided by a mysterious power, magical girls gather in this city. It is a place where magical girls can stay as they are. The girls draw out new power in their fight against witches. "What's going on... in this city?" Tamaki Iroha came to this city following her disappeared sister. Iroha works with other magical girls to search for clues. Eventually, Akemi Homura, a magical girl from Mitakihara City, came to Kamihama as well. "If I can figure out what's happening in this city, I may be able to save Kaname-san...". When the magical girls from the two cities cross, a new hope is born.
PV
Thread

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm looking forward to eizouken

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just keep your hands off.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
staying a respectful distance from eizouken (the monitor to my face distance)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As the main character says, consent is everything.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was just wondering what Yuasa was doing now.

Hell yeah!

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I'm not 100% percent sure the villain from ID:Invaded was devised during an all night bender but I certainly wouldn't be suprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Eizouken is out~