Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I wonder if Angus Young has had anything similar done to his guitars. He's more sweat than man when on stage.
I don't remember which one, but one of the guitar players mentioned in Our Band Could Be Your Life had something along those lines, where they just installed resistors instead of pots and sealed the whole thing so that the blood and sweat wouldn't destroy the wiring every night. Read the book to find out who!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

The Leck posted:

I don't remember which one, but one of the guitar players mentioned in Our Band Could Be Your Life had something along those lines, where they just installed resistors instead of pots and sealed the whole thing so that the blood and sweat wouldn't destroy the wiring every night. Read the book to find out who!

Greg Ginn's lucite Ampeg. He couldn't afford the original Armstrong replacements but would just seal pickups into lucite blocks so he could just replace the whole unit when he inevitably hosed them up. Flag used to practice 8 hours a day when they weren't on the road so that guitar got some serious runtime.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

rickiep00h posted:

Bruce Springsteen tours with approximately 15 identical butterscotch Teles and the one actual Broadcaster they're all based on. Even when you're rich as gently caress like The Boss, I don't get it.

Because that's the guitar he uses for everything, and he has spares. He's a professional, and his approach towards music is like a carpenter to his craft. The tele is his tool of choice for the job that needs to be done, he needs a tuned and adjusted butterscotch tele to be ready for use at any given time, and a backup to come flying into his arms every time he breaks a string or anything else on the guitar isn't working as it should.

His songs are recorded with a tele, he plays a tele just about every time he uses an electric guitar. As long as he has an arsenal of identical guitars he will sound the same and the guitar will feel the same in his hands every time.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It always baffled me that Bruce's guitar was an Esquire with a second pickup modded in. Is there some other difference between the two models besides "one's got two pickups"?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can confirm that Ryan from Poison the Well did something similar to most of his Les Pauls from the You Come Before You era.

e: I meant the pickups being sealed thing like the Boss.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 29, 2019

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm pretty sure at this point even Brain May has copies of his guitar for stage use. Not as many as Springsteen but some are different tunings and if he breaks a string or something he's extra hosed due to the loose rollers they sit on (and hold in) at the bridge.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah, it makes sense, I guess I'm just jealous when people've got guitars on guitars on guitars and I don't even have enough to have the (fairly modest) range of sound options I want (I want a 12-string dammit)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

It always baffled me that Bruce's guitar was an Esquire with a second pickup modded in. Is there some other difference between the two models besides "one's got two pickups"?

Esquire switching is wired differently.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point even Brain May has copies of his guitar for stage use. Not as many as Springsteen but some are different tunings and if he breaks a string or something he's extra hosed due to the loose rollers they sit on (and hold in) at the bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8

Surprisingly few, really.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

yeah, it makes sense, I guess I'm just jealous when people've got guitars on guitars on guitars and I don't even have enough to have the (fairly modest) range of sound options I want (I want a 12-string dammit)
I totally feel you, hex. Back when my first "big" band started, I was the only broke-rear end member of the band, so watching how all the other band members had this real high-end stuff also made me green in the face more than once. I mean yeah, thanks to my scholarship and having to work off said scholarship, I got my hands on a Marshall JCM800 head that I still have, 21 years later, but I still had to haul rear end and look for lefty guitars on sale because, again, broke-rear end teenager/young adult.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

darkwasthenight posted:

Standard tour abuse aside, Bruce is notoriously hard on his guitar electronics because he sweats like a monster and regularly dunks his head in a barrel of water at sidestage. The original Broadcaster has it's pickups sealed and drainage holes drilled along the bottom of the control cavity to let the sweat run out.

This is one of the most disgusting music related things I've read/seen... worse than Dawn of the Black Hearts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jason Newsted's Sadowskys are the same: built and sealed due to his ridiculous sweat production.

And y'all, I'm aware of why Bruce thinks he needs three huge road cases of the same guitar, and I was giving an example of someone that collects a bunch of copies of the same thing as the post previous to me was talking about.

That goddamn many guitars seems excessive, even for a "worst-case scenario." Seems like you could get away with six maybe. Not double digits. But whatever. When you're Bruce Springsteen you can do whatever you want.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe he's like slash in that he also wails on the guitars. Agree on the "keeping it single digits" though. Like unless you're like Deftones, Wilco or Sonic Youth and need more than two tnunigs, maybe tone it down, y'know?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Wark Say posted:

Maybe he's like slash in that he also wails on the guitars. Agree on the "keeping it single digits" though. Like unless you're like Deftones, Wilco or Sonic Youth and need more than two tnunigs, maybe tone it down, y'know?

I saw a Deftones tribute band in Hungary earlier in the year and the guitarist had one six and a seven and just barred for the higher tunings. My wrist hurts just remembering it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sigher posted:

This is one of the most disgusting music related things I've read/seen... worse than Dawn of the Black Hearts.

concept: a crust punk guitarist who sweats the same amount as springsteen, but there aren't any drainage holes so the sweat builds up in his guitar

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

concept: a crust punk guitarist who sweats the same amount as springsteen, but there aren't any drainage holes so the sweat builds up in his guitar

Concept: this, but with drainholes that feed into a catheter, thus collecting the tone sweat. This could probably sell decently to severely boring bluesdads...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Concept: this, but with drainholes that feed into a catheter, thus collecting the tone sweat. This could probably sell decently to severely boring bluesdads...
:stonk: Your evil knows no loving bounds.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

tone sweat liquid cooling tube amp

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds like overclocking, sort of? :crossarms:

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

BonHair posted:

Concept: this, but feeding back into one's stillsuit. As long as the fremen rock without rhythm, they could sustain themselves on tonesweat alone deep in the desert.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wark Say posted:

That sounds like overclocking, sort of? :crossarms:

time to bring the liquid cooling market to audiophiles

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ferro fluid cooled speakers already exist

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thumposaurus posted:

Ferro fluid cooled speakers already exist

this sounds like it could look insanely cool given how ferrofluids and magnets interact, but it's probably just a tube full of gunk, isn't it :smith:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Surely amps need some of that liquid cooling too?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Anime Reference posted:

Yeah, the Esquire has a pickup selector switch that switches between different caps and/or bypasses the tone control. Some mods add a cocked wah in one position.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Thinkin'' bout those hand grenades

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Combat-Han...c199a%7Ciid%3A1

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp I've tried my local craigslist and it's rather the boring assortment of low to mid range guitars with the occasional Guitar Hero controller sprinkled in. I did however learn that electric upright basses look weird. But never fear, eBay pulled through:

I don't mind the cigar box aesthetic here, but I question if an oil can is strong enough/thick enough metal to take the string tension for a long period of time. Hell it doesn't look good as it is now.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
missed opportunity not making it 22" scale or shorter with the tagline engineered for today's smaller guitarists

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Turbinosamente posted:

Welp I've tried my local craigslist and it's rather the boring assortment of low to mid range guitars with the occasional Guitar Hero controller sprinkled in. I did however learn that electric upright basses look weird. But never fear, eBay pulled through:

I don't mind the cigar box aesthetic here, but I question if an oil can is strong enough/thick enough metal to take the string tension for a long period of time. Hell it doesn't look good as it is now.

Could be a home brew job but usually there's a block of wood inside the can acting as the 'top' which the neck and bridge slot into, so it's not just relying on the metal to stay in shape.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

missed opportunity not making it 22" scale or shorter with the tagline engineered for today's smaller guitarists
I enjoyed this post.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcdZLTn8LD4

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Every time a woodblock shows up I giggle.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Sporadic imgur browsing find of the day.

Somebody spent time and effort making this dumb thing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ALL HAIL THE NEW TONEZ

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am something of an rear end man myself.

Speaking of which:

Lol SG neck dive. I mean, it's "fixed" now and feels nice and balanced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I am something of an rear end man myself.

Speaking of which:

Lol SG neck dive. I mean, it's "fixed" now and feels nice and balanced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where'd you get the weights? I've been looking for some but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a billion of them

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Where'd you get the weights? I've been looking for some but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a billion of them

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZMD8SDG

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm all about that bass.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

me rolling up to the luthier thinking about how hot it would be if chickens had big juicy booties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Looks like a splayed chicken.