Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Meanwhile, on the exact opposite end of the spectrum from GB's endless stream of garbage is Tim Roger's incredible review of 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7HF7v9wUUA

loving jesus 1994 was insane. just breaking my concept of time.

then agian im not even sure i had a snes back then, just a nes... i think i got a snes at the end of 1994 because i remember the store dude telling my dad at the time "no one wants nintendos now, they are out of date. playstation is new hotness" and my dad asked me if that was true (i was 11) and i said "no bitch, nintendoeswhatplaystatdont! i want my mario all stars and dkc." (this didnt happen, i just said no)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I'm not sure it matters even if these things you believe are true, because due to the world literally being on fire atm the themes of FF7's story are about 2,300% more relevant than they were 23 years ago.

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF MY GAMING JEEZ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

First year of Playstation was pretty loving rough, but it's hard to argue with how amazing that console was by the time WipEout XL, Destruction Derby 2, Twisted Metal 2, and Resident Evil came out.

By January of 98 when FFVII had been out in the west for a season and RE2 was just releasing the PSX was on the verge of legendary, and only a few months away from MGS and world domination status.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I have spot the dude of uncharted in this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6hGToIympQ

The facial expressions in this are firmly in the absolute nadie of the uncanny valley.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

First year of Playstation was pretty loving rough, but it's hard to argue with how amazing that console was by the time WipEout XL, Destruction Derby 2, Twisted Metal 2, and Resident Evil came out.

By January of 98 when FFVII had been out in the west for a season and RE2 was just releasing the PSX was on the verge of legendary, and only a few months away from MGS and world domination status.

Man what a time to be alive.
Random memory: I played a game called Broken Helix or something? It was a "4-d" game where events occurred in real time and eventually, each "floor" would become uninhabitable and all the antagonist were also doing poo poo in real time. I might be making this up but I'll google it soon.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLyoIFRDjY&t=64s
oh my god I think it had bruce campbell voicing the main character

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 3, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

So I do think the difficulty is overrated and the enemies aren't quite as spongy as typically described, but for how the average person would try to play it for when it came out? I can understand both of those complaints just fine.

A couple years ago I played through Uncharted 1->4.5 over about 2 months on the new adventurer (easier than easy) mode and played so fast and loose each game became a parkour simulator. I played as if stopping meant Nathan died in seconds.

Collectively it was a top 5 all time video game experience

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The PS3 versions of UC2 and 3 have multiplayer/co-op. If you're only in for the single player then stick with the PS4.

Naughty Dog shut down all PS3 multiplayer a few months back for all their games, so it's single player only regardless of where you get it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Professor of Cats posted:

...and

Jet Moto
Intelligent Qube
Soul Edge
SOTN
Gran Turismo
Parappa
Soul Reaver
Oddworld
Suikoden
Tomb Raider
Silent Hill
Tony Hawk
Einhander
Puzzle Fighter
Bushido Blade
Tenchu
Vigilante 8
Devil Dice
Tekken 2
and one million quality Squaresoft RPGs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

Naughty Dog shut down all PS3 multiplayer a few months back for all their games, so it's single player only regardless of where you get it.

That sucks. UC2 story co-op was rad.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Crazy to think that console gaming went from Donkey Kong Country to Mario 64 in 2 years. That really was a wild time. It feels especially weird and compressed to me because my family was late to the PSX but we got Sega Channel, so I spent 1995 pining for 3D games and imagining how they played from screenshots in EGM while I gorged on all the hits from the Genesis catalogue.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

so I spent 1995 pining for 3D games and imagining how they played from screenshots in EGM while I gorged on all the hits from the Genesis catalogue.

extremely same. EGM was god.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Random memory: I played a game called Broken Helix or something? It was a "4-d" game where events occurred in real time and eventually, each "floor" would become uninhabitable and all the antagonist were also doing poo poo in real time. I might be making this up but I'll google it soon.

e:

that is 100% bruce campbell, time to find myself a copy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That sucks. UC2 story co-op was rad.

maybe there’s a way to do it on LAN? I’m not sure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, I finished Spidreman. Or at least the main plot before the DLC. I guess it was competent enough, and it was fun, but I still feel like it was a little lacking. Half of the advantage of making something using a preestablished IP is that you can artificially add depth with references, but it was really shallow on all of that. There were no real deep pulls, and a lack of interesting details. Weirdly they reworked Doc Ock into basically having Vulture's entire origin story. Also weird to rework Mary Jane into a reporter, although I guess it does give her some depth. The depowered stealth sections were mostly not good, even if they did add some pacing. Peter Parker himself didn't really seem to have much depth. It's not like everything needs to follow the comics or one of the movies or a cartoon, but if you're not gonna add much yourself, you kinda need to. It was fun catching pigeons for some guy, but the story he feeds you is just...bland.

It was a weird move killing aunt May at the end. I don't think they really earned that point of drama, and it feels very depressing and disempowering right at the end when there's nothing left to bring you back up, and it limits Pete's supporting cast even further. Also very disappointing that the evil billionaire politician (another weird redesign the game makes) from whom about 75% of the problems in the city spawned gets no real comeuppance or even real acknowledgement of fault from anyone other than a villain. I know it's accurate to the real world for billionaires to never see any real consequences or judgement, but I don't really want that kind of hopelessness in my fiction. I don't care that Harry's his motivation for what he does like he's Mr. Freeze or some poo poo, Harry's kind of a hapless fop anyways, not even going by the comics, but going by his depiction in-game.

Also weird that they set up the game with Kingpin as being somehow the inciting incident for everything, but he never actually matters, and in fact the villains that pop up aren't even doing the kind of mob crimes that Kingpin would have anything to do with. It was just a coincidence that Martin Yi made his move to start going after Osbourne right after Kingpin went down. Kingpin's just another plot hook that doesn't really go anywhere. Maybe a callback to Shocker would make sense in the mission where the Raft has a jailbreak, we never learn who he was supposedly working for either.

It feels like separate people came up with all the plot beats and smushed them together without real concern for making it all work together.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Dangit, that's another thing missing! I know he was only in the other games/movies because he was Sam Raimi's friend, but any excuse to have some Bruce Campbell is valid.

morallyobjected posted:

you should be able to delete the card on your PS4, if nothing else. I just use PayPal (like a lot of people, I think)

Thanks, deleting the card worked.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

In Australia we had Hyper and PCPowerPlay magazines and they were both incredible. PCPP writer James Cottee did a four page special investigation of crates and it was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

e:

I dunno why but I cracked up when the player character jumped and did a flip and landed on top of a dead enemy and they exploded.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Funnily enough 1994 was easily the year I played the least games. I'd moved to Orlando for college in 93 and still had a SNES but I had my own modem for the first time and Orlando at the time had a very cool scene of people who used the local BBS to organize trips to Dennys or the beach. Basically all the stoners, hackers and acid heads in town, hundreds of us. It was wild

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At the time my only frame of reference for technical progress were demo kiosks. So to me the mid 90s gaming landscape was essentially DKC, Blood, and bargain bin Price Club simulator bundles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pastis posted:

I’ve been hit with radial nerve palsy and wrist drop, which effectively makes my left hand useless. I cannot move my thumb enough to use the left thumb stick on a DS4. Fortunately I can mostly use the shoulder buttons with some straining. Are there any commercially available disabled-friendly controllers for use on PS4? I’m not seeing much in Google but maybe I’m just not looking I. The right places.

Look into a XIM apex and you can use pretty much any device you want to play. Wirelessly too. Don't quote me on this but I think you could use a gaming mouse with your right hand and a trackball mouse in your left and use your palm for movement maybe?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing that loving kills me about the PSX generation is that despite being a Playstation fanboy I missed out on every Fromsoft game except Armored Core. It's so weird to me, because I payed pretty close attention to game releases. I feel like I would have been all over Shadow Tower, King's Field and Echo Night etc. but they all just completely slipped under my radar, and honestly the first time I heard of any of them was after Demon's Souls. Now I want to go back and try them but they just seem too old, and it would be too much effort to play them. It's a drat shame.

Gamepro was for fun, EGM was for when I wanted to get serious about gamin.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 3, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that loving kills me about the PSX generation is that despite being a Playstation fanboy I missed out on every Fromsoft game except Armored Core. It's so weird to me, because I payed pretty close attention to game releases. I feel like I would have been all over Shadow Tower, King's Field and Echo Night etc. but they all just completely slipped under my radar, and honestly the first time I heard of any of them was after Demon's Souls. Now I want to go back and try them but they just seem too old, and it would be too much effort to play them. It's a drat shame.

Gamepro was for fun, EGM was for when I wanted to get serious about gamin.

Yeah, same. I was all over Armored Core but missed the rest. Also, Gamepro forums were the very first forums I ever used, before I even joined SA :lol:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rinkles posted:

At the time my only frame of reference for technical progress were demo kiosks. So to me the mid 90s gaming landscape was essentially DKC, Blood, and bargain bin Price Club simulator bundles.

I once talked my mom into dropping 8-year-old me off at a Sears (or maybe it was Service Merchandise) all day long, by myself so I could play Street Fighter 2 on the SNES kiosk

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My games from that Gamestop deal last week got delivered; Death Stranding, Outer Worlds, Control, RE2make. RE2 I rented and beat a quick Leon A/Claire B run but enjoyed it enough I wanted to check out the bonus content, so that'll be something I just pop into as I feel like it. Spent the last few days working on RDR2 -- had it for months but never got too attached -- knowing I'd want to take it out of the drive when these arrived; just finished Chapter 3 and I'm still not feeling it that much. Don't hate playing it but it's reaffirmed that Rockstar and I just aren't on the same page, basically the same way I felt about GTA5. I'll come back but I'm in no rush.

Pretty sure Death Stranding is more than I want to take on with RDR2 and also DQXI (love it, stopped at the start of the third act, just taking it in pieces to make it last) sitting around unfinished, not to mention a dozen smaller things/Switch games so next: Outer Worlds or Control? Outer Worlds is definitely much more what I'm into on paper, I grabbed Control on the word of this thread (which usually steers me very right).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

enojy posted:

I once talked my mom into dropping 8-year-old me off at a Sears (or maybe it was Service Merchandise) all day long, by myself so I could play Street Fighter 2 on the SNES kiosk

i can't remember ever seeing anything besides mario or donkey kong at a snes kiosk, but that might be a question of not knwoing what i was looking at. pretty sure i wasn't even aware of jrpgs as a concept, did those get demos?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

univbee posted:

What the gently caress that's half the reason I wanted to replay

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, I finished Spidreman. Or at least the main plot before the DLC. I guess it was competent enough, and it was fun, but I still feel like it was a little lacking. Half of the advantage of making something using a preestablished IP is that you can artificially add depth with references, but it was really shallow on all of that. There were no real deep pulls, and a lack of interesting details. Weirdly they reworked Doc Ock into basically having Vulture's entire origin story. Also weird to rework Mary Jane into a reporter, although I guess it does give her some depth. The depowered stealth sections were mostly not good, even if they did add some pacing. Peter Parker himself didn't really seem to have much depth. It's not like everything needs to follow the comics or one of the movies or a cartoon, but if you're not gonna add much yourself, you kinda need to. It was fun catching pigeons for some guy, but the story he feeds you is just...bland.

It was a weird move killing aunt May at the end. I don't think they really earned that point of drama, and it feels very depressing and disempowering right at the end when there's nothing left to bring you back up, and it limits Pete's supporting cast even further. Also very disappointing that the evil billionaire politician (another weird redesign the game makes) from whom about 75% of the problems in the city spawned gets no real comeuppance or even real acknowledgement of fault from anyone other than a villain. I know it's accurate to the real world for billionaires to never see any real consequences or judgement, but I don't really want that kind of hopelessness in my fiction. I don't care that Harry's his motivation for what he does like he's Mr. Freeze or some poo poo, Harry's kind of a hapless fop anyways, not even going by the comics, but going by his depiction in-game.

Also weird that they set up the game with Kingpin as being somehow the inciting incident for everything, but he never actually matters, and in fact the villains that pop up aren't even doing the kind of mob crimes that Kingpin would have anything to do with. It was just a coincidence that Martin Yi made his move to start going after Osbourne right after Kingpin went down. Kingpin's just another plot hook that doesn't really go anywhere. Maybe a callback to Shocker would make sense in the mission where the Raft has a jailbreak, we never learn who he was supposedly working for either.

It feels like separate people came up with all the plot beats and smushed them together without real concern for making it all work together.
There's a lot of stuff with the Osborns that is clearly setup for the sequel more than a major plot element for this game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The only 1994 games I have enduring warmth for are Donkey Kong Country and Beneath a Steel Sky.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

posting on the internet about how Ludwig is yanking my freaking balls.

it worked I killed him

MechaSeinfeld fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 3, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

MechaSeinfeld posted:

posting on the internet about how Ludwig is yanking my freaking balls.

it worked I killed him

You probably already did the thing, but if you chat with um, him after the fight in your Choir garb you get special dialogue. If you get stuck on any of the other bosses I'd be up to help out, I've been wanting to play some The Old Hunters. The non-optional bosses I recommend trying to do by yourself until you feel like it's not worth it anymore of course, but there's an optional one who's kind of bullshit, but now that I've beaten it several times he doesn't really give me any trouble.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So I got GTAV on a sale, as I had it on the 360 but fancied playing again with the upgraded graphics.

I really want to like the online more - there is so much potential for fun. I joined a random game and it was a bunch of supercars and trucks speeding down a huge, skyscraper-sized ramp towards the opposing team who were decked out with rpgs. That poo poo is fun. There seems to be a lot of good stuff out there to try, but...those loading times, my god. Also, not a normal goddamn game browser, but a menu with dozens of game modes that you don't know are populated unless you select one and load yourself in.

Load into the game....then load into the online...search for a match...sit there in the lobby for 5 minutes while everyone joins...then loading the actual match...playing a round...loading next round...quitting back to gta online...loading.

I want to play more of it, but all the slow loading and interfacing. What a shame.

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 3, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nier Automata progress report: Got to meet Pascal and Sartre, game seemed to be making fun of them even though I’m told the game embraces their philosophy by the end. I have been staring at a lot of anime girl butt.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All.my favourite philosophers and anime girl butts come in for a HUGE party

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jean-Paul Blartre Mall Cop

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

WHY is this an mmo :negative:

recurrent micro-transactions.

I can already see the quest "collect 10 tails from robot rats".

still, if they make a PS4 version I would play it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

All.my favourite philosophers and anime girl butts come in for a HUGE party

Jung MC

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Jean-Paul Blartre Mall Cop

:bisonyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jean-Paul Shart

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rinkles posted:

i can't remember ever seeing anything besides mario or donkey kong at a snes kiosk, but that might be a question of not knwoing what i was looking at. pretty sure i wasn't even aware of jrpgs as a concept, did those get demos?

Oh probably not. This wasn't anything official iirc, just a setup they put together in/near the electronics department to get kids excited about buying video games in the presence of their shopping parents.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Has anyone here upgraded their PS4 Pro to an SSD? What differences did you notice, and was there anything to watch out for during the install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

1000% the best computer game with Bruce Campbell in it is Tachyon: The Fringe. One of the best space simulators out there anyway and Bruce just makes it better.