Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Someone convince me to not finally give in to 28mm napoleonics with all this holiday loot money...
I cannot do this in good conscience. Godspeed on your new quest, goon sir!
(:shepspends:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You should not collect 28mm Napoleonics.

Instead, you should collect 28mm wars of the Revolution.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Someone convince me to not finally give in to 28mm napoleonics with all this holiday loot money, and especially tell me why Joachim Murat, the dandiest man in a dandy era, and the neapolitans should not ever be collected.

Soldats! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu ! 

You should definitely not buy this new Perry bros box, and you DEFINITELY shouldn't even think about getting THIS new Perry bros box that has everyone in skirmishing poses with included round bases, making it perfect for Sharp Practice, the superior 28mm ruleset.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Oh poo poo Perry Bros are putting round bases in with Napoleonic stuff

It's lit

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Someone convince me to not finally give in to 28mm napoleonics with all this holiday loot money, and especially tell me why Joachim Murat, the dandiest man in a dandy era, and the neapolitans should not ever be collected.

OK, let me tell you about this bad rear end dude called Joachim Murat.

So, it's 1805, and all the countries around France are being bitches, as they tend to do. So much so that Austria and a bunch of their friends declare war. They have like three times the soldiers, so they naturally expect that France will be on the defence, shivering in fear. So much so that a general called Mack places a third of the Austrian army far forward towards the French border, waiting for the Russians to arrive so that they can invade France together. Well, Napoleon won't have none of that, so he quickly surrounds Mack and captures his army at Ulm. After that it's time to go to Vienna and show them what happens when you gently caress with France.

Now, the Austrians can't put up more than delaying actions in front of Vienna. But they are pretty sure that as long as they can destroy all bridges across the Danube, the French will be delayed enough that the Allied armies can link up. Then they will have a big numerical advantage, and have a good chance at beating back Napoleon. However, one set of bridges spanning the Danube remains when the French approaches Vienna, and it's none other than the Tabor Bridge, one of the major crossings. It's unclear why it's still not blown up, but maybe it was due to Austrian nobility wanting to keep it until the very last moment, for evacuation.

The Austrians were of course prepared, realizing the bridges' strategic value, and had set explosives along the bridge and were ready to destroy it at a moment's notice. It was guarded by Count Auersperg, leading some of the toughest Austrian troops, including the tough Szekler Grenzers and Hussars from Transylvania. Explosives, Counts and transylvanians - a god drat Castlevania level.

Now, you and me might struggle to pass the second level of Castlevania, but not Joachim Murat and his pal Jean Lannes. Murat, having kind of hosed up a bit previously in campaign with his advance guard command (as Murat was prone to do now and then), was in Napoleon's doghouse, but he had an idea for how to get in his good graces again. Leaving their troops behind as to not threaten the Austrians, the two pals strolled across the bridge, laughing and talking with their hands behind their backs. The baffled Austrians pointed their guns at them, but the two French generals waved their bayonets aside, declaring that a cease fire had called and that the peace treaty was already being worked on.

This was not completely unreasonable, given that the French had taken the Austrian capital. In a normal war, this might lead to a peace treaty with a return to status quo more or less. Napoleon was of course not interested in that, but how would a lowly Austrian infantry officer know that? The Austrian troopers, hearing the news of the war already ending, took a relaxed breath and many even put their muskets away.

But Murat and Lannes were just getting started. "Hey, those cannon aiming at the bridge, would you mind pointing them somewhere else? Thaaaaaank you". The Austrians, dumbfounded, turned the cannons around in the opposite direction. When the officer at the bridge started to ask questions, Murat and Lannes casually told them to check with Auersperg that it's all cool, but he might be away at the peace signing ceremony so he might be hard to find.

Somewhere around this time of the story, Lannes or Murat casually straddled an Austrian cannon and lit a pipe. Because why not.

At this time a bunch of French sappers and grenadiers started to cross the bridge. Murat and Lannes explained the troops needed to excercise and wanted to stretch their legs a bit. Now, the Austrians were getting reeeeally suspicious when said French soldiers started cutting off fuses and tossing barrels of gunpowder into the Danube. The protesting Austrians turned around the cannon and aimed at the French, but Murat and Lannes bought even more time, grabbing some officers and causing a real commotion that distracted the Austrians. At one point they snatched a lit fuse out of the hand of an Austrian, shouting about the ills of destroying public property now that the peace deal was pretty much done.

With Count Auersperg finally arriving, the by now pissed off guarding officer called him to attack the French and seize the French generals. Of course, Murat and Lannes then berated the Austrian commander for tolerating his subordinates to give him lip and threatening the ongoing peace negotiations. Which of course led to Auersperg imprisoning the subordinate and handing over the bridge to the French, securing their path across the Danube which led to them reaching a little place called AUSTERLITZ a month later where the Austrians were humiliated again. Auersperg was court martialed for his part in this fiasco and shot.

So that's... I guess my reason why you should not start an army led by one of the baddest dude in history, who seized a mined bridged protected by cannon singlehandled and got an incompetent Austrian count shot by being such a damned charismatic smoothtalker? Because who would want to collect a force led by this dude:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 2, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Precisely how Murat sat on a horse with balls as huge as his were is a fact that has been lost to history.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Just moments later, as Murat continued to use his "hey there's a peace negotiation, lay down your arms" trick again and again, fooling more stupid Austrians, he met Bagration. Bagration, of course, was a cool rear end Russian dude and one of the fabled Not Bad Russian Generals.

Bagration immediately saw through Murat's ruse, and because he was way smarter, flipped it on him. Murat was chasing Bagrations Russian force, which was almost cut off and threated by destruction if it could not escape back to the main army. "OH GREAT, a peace treaty cease fire! We're really happy about that, let's dictate terms!", said Bagration. "Well, how about this: we'll consider a super deal where all us Russians march back out of Austria, but you Frenchies don't advance further either? We'll just work on that a bit, hang back we'll be right back with you".

Murat, pleased about the masterstroke he thought he delivered, sent this proposal to Napoleon who got furious at his advance guard general thinking he had the right to initiate terms of a real peace treaty. And Bagration used the time wasted one diplomatic letters back and forth on a deal that he knew was fake to march all but a small rear defence force out of the French trap, linking his army with Kutusov's main Russian army.

So yeah. Murat is an interesting fellow because he had so visible strengths and weaknesses. Playing dudes and getting played, all in a day's work for Murat.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

muggins posted:

Oh poo poo Perry Bros are putting round bases in with Napoleonic stuff

It's lit

Yeah, it was a nice welcome surprise that they made two box of their new French infantry, one for battalion gamers and one for skirmish gamers.

I'm pretty chuffed for my box to arrive. I'm looking forward to playing some Song of Drums & Shakos or something similar after I've painted a few. :hist101:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why would you field australians in any theatre when NZ is right there (in all the theatres)?

Blatant misguided patriotism.

My two boxes of Hit the Beach arrived, am keen.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What I really want to know is if Marshall Ney who also commanded his own execution on the December 7th knew of Murat's death less than two months earlier on the 13th of October.
It becomes slightly less badass if he might have done that just to not be out done as the bravest of the brave.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cassa posted:

Blatant misguided patriotism.

My two boxes of Hit the Beach arrived, am keen.

Plus NZ gets Lemon Squeezer hats, and what is any military but a battle of who has cooler hats.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I finally bought in with some Black Friday deals and it was a horrible mistake that I didn't get in sooner.

It actually sucks that it's been too humid to prime anything.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm playing my first of Field of Glory Napoleonic this weekend with a borrowed army - British/Portuguese 1811 vs French. First time in decades I've played an historical game. FOGN is a corps level battle, so 3-4 divisions.

Any tips to beat the French, beyond lining up on the reverse slope and engaging in short range musketry.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Fortunately, I had one of the game's writers (Richard Gordon) to assist me at the League of Ancients in Melbourne!

So I played my first Napoleonic wargame in about 27 years today. The rules are Field of Glory Napoleonic (2nd edition). The armies Eureka/AB and Old Glory Miniatures 18mm.

I took on (after the first turn, two) divisions of the 1809-11 British and Portuguese army vs an 1809-1811 French army. The battle was somewhere in France/Central Europe, so perhaps it was in stupid why are the Portuguese here? Flanders. Both armies had chosen flexible defence.

The French army commanded by Cameron Wilson has a unit of heavy 12 pounders, a unit of 9 pounders and 2 units of light infantry. There was a division of Cuirassiers x2 and Hussars x2, and 2 divisions of infantry (generally poor or conscript) with some light infantry.

The allied army was small but superior. I controlled the 1st and 2nd Divisions which were the core of the army. Richard Gordon took the Portuguese infantry and (Impetuous British) cavalry. Note however, we did not have any corps artillery, just attached to Brigades.

The Battlefield had a small town in the French corner which they occupied and had their LOC. Several steep hills and a gentle hill where next to them, with a road running down the centre. The French army deployed on the hills next to the town. On the Allied side a small wood anchored our right flank with the allied LOC undefended but well out of range on the far left of a small river.

The Allied Army. Close to the camera is the (Impetuous British) Hussars. In the middle are my 2 divisions and the left the (Impetuous British) heavy cavalry and Portuguese infantry.

Close up of the allied infantry.

The French army- in the centre is the Corps artillery.

I didn't get a picture of it, but turn 1 the allies advanced quickly up the centre road area while the French had some difficulty getting over the steep hills. They were also quite hesitant and to me unwilling to leave the defensive position until it because obvious where the allies were going. The allied army had been lucky to start with the initiative though.

Turn 2 the French had advanced to secure the hill and started to climb the steeper hills to their rear. The Allies are deploying in a line with the (Impetuous British) Hussars on the right flank and (Impetuous British) Dragoons in the centre. I stuffed up the deployment of my 2 divisions are bit. In the front of them a unit of Spanish Guerillas kept the French Artillery busy with minimal losses.

The French army deploys.

My 2 divisions face them, (Impetuous British) Hussars on the right.

On the right flank, the (Impetuous British) Hussars charged and were counted charged by the French Hussars.

The (Impetuous British) Hussars are spent but defeat the French, who flee! Their division commander falls in their rout!!

A medium range gun battle broke out between the French line and Allied line. My British division was somewhat disordered by the French artillery firing canister but held on. The Spanish Guerillas and British light infantry took only small losses from the massed artillery batteries facing them. I was concerned that the French cavalry would force me into square and then the artillery would blast me to pieces.

At this point, I noticed the French cavalry was somewhat disordered. They had moved to support their light cavalry which had rallied, but was now facing away from supporting their artillery. Their crews were a bit disordered and their infantry waving. I urged our corps commander to send in the (Impetuous British) Dragoons to the centre!

They took the fire of three enemy infantry units and charged through the line of French in the centre! The (Impetuous British SHOCK HEAVY) Dragoons crashed through, destroyed the heavy artillery and forced the 9 pounders to rout!

Meanwhile, the French cavalry on my right charged our light cavalry.

Both sides were forced to retreat, with the (Impetuous British) Hussars taking the worst of it.

We'd been playing for 3+ hours and the battle then ended with a French Defeat! 40% to 10% Allied.

The French army was a bit slow and cramped in one corner initially and were more interested in fighting a gun duel with their (vastly superior) artillery than charging with columns like I expected. The battle deciding charge of the heavy brigade was only a 50%-50% shot at working, as 1-2 more dice rolling in their favour would have stopped the charge and prevented the French artillery from being destroyed and then chain routing other units.

Field of Glory Napoleonic is pretty straight forward, but there are a lot of exceptions to keep track of. The rules are well laid out (with a collection of all tables at the back of the book) but there's a lot of different notes to take account of when moving/firing/assault. (ie- you roll 4 dice as infantry unless you have a skirmish unit so +1 but -1 if enemy cav is close but then re roll 6s if your veteran and 5s if your guard and -1 if you're in terrain) However, it works out to be quite a good model of warfare for the period and I give the rules a thumbs up. I hope to start building a British/Portuguese army very similar to what I was able to part of today, though I would like some corps level medium artillery, because I like the look of the guns. I also want some cotton wool to show off who is firing because it looks a lot more dramatic.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 5, 2020

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
drat buddy that looks cool as hell!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I finally finished my Italian platoon! This is the whole platoon (plus a two-man Brixia mortar team and a couple of extra Breda teams):

The core platoon consists of two 20-man squads, with each squad breaking down into a machine-gun element (comprised of two Breda M30 LMG teams) and a maneuver element (comprised of 10 riflemen). Each element is led by an NCO. While I always mount officers and NCOs on slightly bigger bases (1" as opposed to 7/8"), because most of them are armed with rifles instead of SMGs I decided to put multicolored shrubs on their bases to make them immediately distinctive visually.

A close-up of one of the standing Breda gunners and the Brixia team. Because I have a problem with magnets, the loader is magnetized and can be removed from the base if the team suffers a casualty.

The Tenente and one of the prone Breda teams:

Sadly, the LMG loader is molded to the gun's bipod and as such there was no good way to make him removable. No magnets for these guys, and I feel like a dirty failure because of it. :cripes:

I've talked about it previously, but my storage/transport solution for these guys is adhesive-backed magnetic vinyl. While it's not as secure as a full foam case, it's sufficient for me to drive to selnaric's place for game night, and it's a hell of a lot easier to get them in and out during the game. And while it's not suitable for air travel, it is strong enough to do this:

I still need to finish off an AT gun and crew prior to FlintCon, but that's only 6 guys and a gun, and at this point my recipe for this paint scheme is pretty much locked down, so it shouldn't take too long. I'm now moving to putting together more Sicilian-themed terrain.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Looks great. What models are they?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
They're Gaddis Gaming (28mm). Apparently Gaddis is semi-local (somewhere in the greater metro Detroit area). I bought most of these off fellow historiGoon muginns, plenty enough to build a platoon, but I wanted some more loaders and AT gun crew so I was able to special-order those. The guy at Gaddis was super responsive and was able get me exactly what I wanted for a reasonable price in just a couple of days, which was cool for a special order.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So for some unfathomable reason I'm thinking about dusting off my old models for Flames of War and getting back into it. Does anyone have a rundown on the current books for Americans and Soviets?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So for some unfathomable reason I'm thinking about dusting off my old models for Flames of War and getting back into it. Does anyone have a rundown on the current books for Americans and Soviets?

Sure.

Soviets Mid-War:
Enemy At The Gates: Focused on Stalingrad. Contains lists for Rifle Batallions and Tank Corps. Contains scenarios for city fighting.
Red Banner: Focused on the Battle of Kursk. Contains lists for Motor Rifle Batallions, and Guards Tank Corps.

EATG's lists are lower quality, greener troops. The gear is up to 1942, so early T-34s, KV-1, etc. RB's lists are higher quality troops, with the gear timeline moved up to late 1943, so later model T-34s, KV-1S, SU-76s, SU-152s, etc.

Soviet & American Late War:
Fortress Europe. Contains generic lists for late 1943, to very early 1944. Intended as a transitional book from MW to LW, so you have very few new toys - Soviets get a handful of T-34-85s, Americans get 76mm Shermans. The biggest difference is an across the board decrease in the cost of tanks, which are extremely expensive in MW. In all, a very good book, though Soviets are kind of desperate for new toys in LW right now.

There is no Soviet-specific LW book yet, but we're getting Bagration books this spring.

American MW:
Fighting First: Americans in Africa.

American LW:
In addition to the previously mentioned Fortress Europe, there is the American D-Day book. Contains lists for Normandy in 1944 - Infantry, Airborne, Armoured, etc. Contains scenarios for Airborne assaults and Beach Landings.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

There is no Soviet-specific LW book yet, but we're getting Bagration books this spring.

Why can't I quit you?!?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Anybody have any recommendations for lead-free 17th-18th century civilian models?

I got a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill legacy for Christmas, where the idea is that successive generations of the same families are bound up in the history of the house going from the late 1600s through the modern age. It comes with some pretty crappy 28mm minis that don't really fit any of the periods, so it seems like a good opportunity to paint some better minis for the different eras. The problem is that I want to get my kids into this, and they're too young for me to trust them with white metal minis that include lead. I haven't been able to find any good plastics for anything before the cowboys era so right now my plan is to use some of the old IMEX 1/72 boxes - they have a "pilgrims" set and a colonial militia set that might work. I'd love something better but can't find anything.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Notahippie posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for lead-free 17th-18th century civilian models?

I got a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill legacy for Christmas, where the idea is that successive generations of the same families are bound up in the history of the house going from the late 1600s through the modern age. It comes with some pretty crappy 28mm minis that don't really fit any of the periods, so it seems like a good opportunity to paint some better minis for the different eras. The problem is that I want to get my kids into this, and they're too young for me to trust them with white metal minis that include lead. I haven't been able to find any good plastics for anything before the cowboys era so right now my plan is to use some of the old IMEX 1/72 boxes - they have a "pilgrims" set and a colonial militia set that might work. I'd love something better but can't find anything.

Try looking at model train sets. A lot of their little people are plastic. I can’t think of any wargames manufacturers that would make civilians in anything but metal.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Notahippie posted:

white metal minis that include lead

Unless you bought your metal minis in the 70s there is no lead in them.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Unless you bought your metal minis in the 70s there is no lead in them.

I thought UK white metal still had lead in it? I'd be happy to learn not - Perry does some great US colonial figures - but I found a couple of small producers in the UK that specifically said they had lead in them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Notahippie posted:

I thought UK white metal still had lead in it? I'd be happy to learn not - Perry does some great US colonial figures - but I found a couple of small producers in the UK that specifically said they had lead in them.

Afaik most metals are non-lead since mid 90’s. Even then, you’d have to be chewing them for it to be a real issue, and once they are painted you’re fine.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

lilljonas posted:

Afaik most metals are non-lead since mid 90’s. Even then, you’d have to be chewing them for it to be a real issue, and once they are painted you’re fine.

Nice! Perry has some great civilian figs, and so does Dixon. Way better than the minis that came with the game. I’m happy to be wrong.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Notahippie posted:

I dunno about UK law, but I'd doubt it. Some time in the mid to late 1980's, the US banned lead in a number of uses, which included hobby miniatures. With the US being a huge market, the industry as a whole pretty much switched over to pewter, which is an alloy of tin, copper, and antimony. If there is any lead present, it's only in small amounts and probably only a health risk if you grind up the mini and snort it.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Goddamn I love reading this stuff lmao. I've always heard "mister here's your mule" but had no idea what it meant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here%27s_your_mule

At Missionary Ridge posted:

"The day was shamefully lost. Gen. Bragg attempted to rally the broken troops; he advanced into the fire, and exclaimed, 'Here is your commander,' and was answered with the derisive shouts of an absurd catch-phrase in the army, 'Here's your mule'."

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Goddamn I love reading this stuff lmao. I've always heard "mister here's your mule" but had no idea what it meant.

Memes. Memes never change.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Moderns report! I’ve had two different rulesets I tried in the last two weeks, I’ll give my thoughts on both systems.

Skirmish Sangin: rangers vs insurgents (me), a standard shoot-out with a patrol coming under fire. On custom 3D-printed terrain, which is nice. I’m not really sold on this set of rules though. Things that stuck out: a million modifiers. I’m sure this will get easier after playing a couple of times, but there’s a robust amount of bookkeeping needed, and while I’m sure it’s one of the most realistic rulesets out there, it bogged the gameplay down. The activation system only makes this more of a headache. TLDR: in a turn you have 10 phases, were each model can activate three times. The better the model, the earlier it activates in the phases. So a model with body 20 will activate in phase 1,3 and 5 for example. I had 18 insurgents to keep track of (too many for a demo and quite a lot for a regular game) and since I was playing with pre-made stats where I wasn’t sure half the time which model was which, this resulted in picking up models constantly to check the number I wrote on the underside of the base. Again, if you have a couple of games under your belt and with fewer models this will be less of a problem.

Even with this the gameplay itself feels fast, and unforgiving. We played 3 hours in total I guess and in game maybe 10-15 minutes passed (two and a half turns). Despite bookkeeping and looking up rules (this was a demo for the both of us as we struggled our way through the rules), it certainly is realistic enough. I asked my opponent if he felt bored during my longer activations and he said he felt that it was tense enough even when he had nothing to do.

Off-table: you have to roll up stats for your guys and choose gear beforehand. This was a bit of a hassle according to my opponent who took care of this before the game. The “Quick reference sheet” is six freakin’ pages!

Spectre Operations (no pics): Delta (me) vs criminals, rescue the hostage, with the criminals holed up with their hostage in a building waiting for pick-up. Contrary to Sangin these rules are IGOUGO, where initiative is rolled for at the start of the turn to see who goes first. The turn is divided up into different phases; command, move, shoot… so you move all of your stuff in one go. Despite playing a lot of games where I move models individually lately, this flowed pretty well and things I thought would be difficult like stacking up and clearing a room were actually pretty doable. We finished a 5-turn game in about two hours, at a leisurely pace. I didn't feel hemmed in by doing all of my movement and shooting at once, the system still accomodates plenty of options. As Sangin, it's also unforgiving, and most shots end in a kill (if you hit).

Off-table: for some reason the guys who made this do not provide a QRS, which is pretty stupid. The index system has a lot of entries missing as well. The facebook group has a couple of fan-made stuff, including a team builder, so that’s covered. We played the latest edition, and it came out without any points costs for guys and gear, which has been amended by Spectre now. The scenario we played was pre-made, but my special forces really cut through the opposition and almost wiped them out entirely, which makes me think it wasn’t terribly balanced. But it’s obvious this is a great system for cooking up your own scenarios or campaigns.
Out of the two we’re leaning more towards Spectre, as it’s a bit lighter on the bookkeeping and gives more options for making up your own stuff. It’s amazing what kind of options you’re given (like the possibility of hotwiring a random truck on the table and driving off) and there’s plenty of freedom to just about use any setting. It also plays a bit faster than Sangin, but I can see where that is the better ruleset if you’re going hyper-realistic, and want to spend a couple of hours micro-managing a couple of guys.

Wowshawk fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 8, 2020

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Whoooof, Sangin is brutal. We played it for about three months and nobody wants to come back to it. Playing with more than a fireteam and individual activations is certainly a thing.

That being said, I do like some of the mechanics for it and it definitely has a different feel than Spectre/any of the other wannbe COD tabletop games. I think there is something there that would make for an interesting solo or GM-driven game with the emphasis on spotting and ranges. Maybe some kind of hybrid game where Sangin is the first couple rounds as the forces approach, then a more run and gun game once poo poo pops off?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Wowshawk posted:

Moderns report! I’ve had two different rulesets I tried in the last two weeks, I’ll give my thoughts on both systems.

Skirmish Sangin: rangers vs insurgents (me), a standard shoot-out with a patrol coming under fire. On custom 3D-printed terrain, which is nice. I’m not really sold on this set of rules though. Things that stuck out: a million modifiers. I’m sure this will get easier after playing a couple of times, but there’s a robust amount of bookkeeping needed, and while I’m sure it’s one of the most realistic rulesets out there, it bogged the gameplay down. The activation system only makes this more of a headache. TLDR: in a turn you have 10 phases, were each model can activate three times. The better the model, the earlier it activates in the phases. So a model with body 20 will activate in phase 1,3 and 5 for example. I had 18 insurgents to keep track of (too many for a demo and quite a lot for a regular game) and since I was playing with pre-made stats where I wasn’t sure half the time which model was which, this resulted in picking up models constantly to check the number I wrote on the underside of the base. Again, if you have a couple of games under your belt and with fewer models this will be less of a problem.

Even with this the gameplay itself feels fast, and unforgiving. We played 3 hours in total I guess and in game maybe 10-15 minutes passed (two and a half turns). Despite bookkeeping and looking up rules (this was a demo for the both of us as we struggled our way through the rules), it certainly is realistic enough. I asked my opponent if he felt bored during my longer activations and he said he felt that it was tense enough even when he had nothing to do.

Off-table: you have to roll up stats for your guys and choose gear beforehand. This was a bit of a hassle according to my opponent who took care of this before the game. The “Quick reference sheet” is six freakin’ pages!

Spectre Operations (no pics): Delta (me) vs criminals, rescue the hostage, with the criminals holed up with their hostage in a building waiting for pick-up. Contrary to Sangin these rules are IGOUGO, where initiative is rolled for at the start of the turn to see who goes first. The turn is divided up into different phases; command, move, shoot… so you move all of your stuff in one go. Despite playing a lot of games where I move models individually lately, this flowed pretty well and things I thought would be difficult like stacking up and clearing a room were actually pretty doable. We finished a 5-turn game in about two hours, at a leisurely pace. I didn't feel hemmed in by doing all of my movement and shooting at once, the system still accomodates plenty of options. As Sangin, it's also unforgiving, and most shots end in a kill (if you hit).

Off-table: for some reason the guys who made this do not provide a QRS, which is pretty stupid. The index system has a lot of entries missing as well. The facebook group has a couple of fan-made stuff, including a team builder, so that’s covered. We played the latest edition, and it came out without any points costs for guys and gear, which has been amended by Spectre now. The scenario we played was pre-made, but my special forces really cut through the opposition and almost wiped them out entirely, which makes me think it wasn’t terribly balanced. But it’s obvious this is a great system for cooking up your own scenarios or campaigns.
Out of the two we’re leaning more towards Spectre, as it’s a bit lighter on the bookkeeping and gives more options for making up your own stuff. It’s amazing what kind of options you’re given (like the possibility of hotwiring a random truck on the table and driving off) and there’s plenty of freedom to just about use any setting. It also plays a bit faster than Sangin, but I can see where that is the better ruleset if you’re going hyper-realistic, and want to spend a couple of hours micro-managing a couple of guys.

Great stuff. I really wanted to like Sangin a lot - it has really high production values for the books and models, but the rules are just, well you need a college degree in Sangin to play it.

I have the Spectre rules and models and really looking forward to playing it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

muggins posted:

That's amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only good song the confederates gave us (editor's note: goober peas is peanuts y'all):

Sitting by the roadside on a summer's day
Chatting with my mess-mates, passing time away
Lying in the shadows underneath the trees
Goodness, how delicious, eating goober peas.

(Chorus)
Peas, peas, peas, peas
Eating goober peas
Goodness, how delicious,
Eating goober peas.

When officers ride past, the soldiers have a rule
To cry out their loudest, "Mister, here's your mule!"
But another custom, enchanting-er than these
Is wearing out your grinders, eating goober peas.

Just before the battle, the General hears a row
He says "The Yanks are coming, I hear their rifles now."
He turns around in wonder, and what d'ya think he sees?
The Georgia Militia, eating goober peas.

I think my song has lasted almost long enough.
The subject's interesting, but the rhymes are mighty tough.
I wish the war was over, so free from rags and fleas
We'd kiss our wives and sweethearts, and gobble goober peas.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

muggins posted:

Great stuff. I really wanted to like Sangin a lot - it has really high production values for the books and models, but the rules are just, well you need a college degree in Sangin to play it.

I have the Spectre rules and models and really looking forward to playing it.

Well, it didn't help that we had to figure all of it out ourselves. But as Cessna mentioned there are some sound mechanics (I like the D100 percentile rolls) but it's covered in stuff that slows it down. I've got mixed feelings, I don't want to write it off, but we're more enthusiastic about Spectre.

I checked out some reviews of Sangin out beforehand and I swear to god some guy said it was easy to learn and ideal to get started in a modern setting. Made me feel like a dumbass when I first read the rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dude probably started on some game where you consulted charts to see what chart to consult before rolling dice to see what chart to consult.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Dude probably started on some game where you consulted charts to see what chart to consult before rolling dice to see what chart to consult.

I've talked to him quite a bit at GenCon - he seemed to come from an RPG background. Sangin is like, 1/2 RPG 1/2 wargame. I wish it was easier to play

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I did a test model for my Battle of Sehested SP2 project. Danes in great coats are amazingly quick to paint, especially when using both regular and contrast paints.

He's tabletop quality and I could probably knock 4 of these out in an evening. Too bad I bought 6 guys in regular Model 1808 uniform to mix in
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

muggins posted:

I've talked to him quite a bit at GenCon - he seemed to come from an RPG background. Sangin is like, 1/2 RPG 1/2 wargame. I wish it was easier to play
Yeah, if you played D&D 3.X and did any moderately sized fights you learned to micro manage a lot of detail. It's not necessarily a skill worth having, but a lot of us who wasted time on huge combats have it.