Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
"You know, I was raised to hate cats, but you seem pretty alright!" said Jessflips the upwardly mobile mouse.

"Why thank you," said Rees the Mogg. "You're quite captivating yourself. Frankly delicious company."

"Oh you're so sweet. I don't get why everyone says you're a oval office, you've been polite and gentlemanly to me! And every mouse we met on our walk, though they did all seem to disappear very suddenly. I guess they were in a hurry!"

"MMGGGHMGGMGMMM Oh excuse me I was picking fur out of my teeth. Yes, I really think there's an unfortunate tendency towards intolerance of alternative views on the left. They won't accept that a cat could have something of value to say."

"Yeah, my whole family was like, don't go near cats they'll eat you and they'll play with you first cos they're cunts, and I was like psshh nah everyone loves me and I'm a bridge builder. And I was right about you! Guess I'm just smarter than everyone else."

"Yes, you most certainly are..." said Rees the Mogg, advancing and licking his chops.

Edit: Number 11 in my new book of centrist fairy tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I'm 30 now so probably wouldn't be conscripted but I dare them to try and make my fat rear end do military poo poo.

Also hi folks, I checked out of the thread after the election for some "picking up the pieces of my soul" time. Super cool that 2020 is getting off to a start where we have to worry about another forever war.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

book of centrist fairy tales.
Ah, a skills wallet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mehall posted:

Lol, as if they won't draft tubbos anyway.

I already tweeted about this -

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1213041045019275264?s=19

No answer from the first minister, shameful.

Not as shameful as the last opinion expressed by an SNP leader on the draft. She probably thinks you're trapping her.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ms Adequate posted:

Sure, but the political sphere can only tolerate so much loss these days. Selling against the fear of wsr is just as good, and runs far less risk of unpredictable things like a peacenik government getting in.

I've talked before about invading Iran and it's inherent folly but to sum up:
Iran's terrain is incredibly hostile and mountainous. It's also huge, like it's the size of Mongolia.
Iran is not an impoverished basket case. Not a first world level of wealth, but they have a healthy economy that can sustain a military.
Iran is as populous as Germany, way more than Iraq and Afghanistan combined. Abundant people with military training.
Sanctions have led to a very strong domestic arms industry. In turn makes them far harder to cut off or attrit. Said gear is also of decent quality, cf. shooting down that US drone last year.
Iran is also not a political basket case: Leadership might be wankers but they are not Saddam-esque megalomaniacs. Military is led by some serious, professional generals who have training, experience, and competence, and aren't too likely to be overly messed with by a tinpot dictator or riven by tribal rivalries.
Iran has been expecting this since 1979 and one imagines they have drawn up extremely detailed plans and contingencies.

Like yeah the US and allies can win the war but I expect it to be vastly more expensive in both treasure and blood than the public will expect, and there's no way to win the peace in a country of 80 million people who inhabit a mountainous country the size of Mongolia and which will probably be flooded with arms by absconded soldiers, smugglers, and likely caches set up by the government in advance (i.e. right this minute).

Not to go all armchair general on this, but I'm also wondering exactly how they're going to wrangle the logistics on this one. Like, you probably want to go in from the Iraqi border. Are you routing supplies through the Persian Gulf? Seems uhhh maybe not the smartest move. So it's overland, then? From a Hidjazi port on the Red Sea? Or you can go in through Pakistan, and then you're also on the wrong side of another bunch of mountains that might be even worse than the Zagros? And the Dasht-e-Lut? And even further from Tehran?

Comedy option: opposed landing in Hormuz.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Also in my new book of centrist fairy tales, The Boy Who Cried Corbyn:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some serious brain spiders going on to own a mug that just says BRITAIN on it in case you forget what country you're in.

Or possibly just RITAIN I can't be sure.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

OwlFancier posted:

Ritainers are the new more patriotic version of remainers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The mug contains knock-off ritalin and brandy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7OoIFo9qbM

Not to get too :tinfoil: but despite me not watching any of his videos in months this was the top of my Youtube recs this morning - trying to tell the streaming generation that if they join the Army they'll get these great rations?

(It's a pure coincidence and TBH I'm posting it here to spread the joy of Steve1989MREInfo's videos - I've no idea how anyone can be so enthusiastic about such a dull subject but it works)

e: Wait the Army doesn't get proper tea bags any more? This is an outrage! Send them out without body armour, IED hardened vehicles or even boots, but no British soldier can possibly face the enemy on freeze-dried tea!

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 3, 2020

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

CONTROLS ON BRITAIN

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

They're probably not going to bring back the draft, but if they do, I sure hope people ITT are dual EU nationals and/or have some other way of getting off this rainy fascist island before the poo poo really hits the fan.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What actually happens to you if you refuse to be conscripted? I'm pretty sure I'd rather go to jail than get flown overseas to wander around a mountain until I get shot in the head. It seems about ten times more preferable.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

They're probably not going to bring back the draft, but if they do, I sure hope people here are dual EU nationals?

I'm not but I'm old enough and fat enough to be safe so bring back National Service immediately!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hello yes I am woefully out of shape, suicidally depressed, and a raving communist, you should definitely give me a gun.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What actually happens to you if you refuse to be conscripted? I'm pretty sure I'd rather go to jail than get flown overseas to wander around a mountain until I get shot in the head. It seems about ten times more preferable.

We do have at least some protections for conscientious objection.

They're never bringing back the draft however, so please no-one here actually worry about it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

you might get presented with a white feather or be humiliatingly owned on the twitters

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mehall posted:

Lol, as if they won't draft tubbos anyway.

I already tweeted about this -

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1213041045019275264?s=19

No answer from the first minister, shameful.

Bit of a GOTCHA question no matter how you answer.

"Yes" and you are worst in the world for not stopping it.
"No" and you are worst in the world for not helping the victims or allies.
"Maybe" and you are worst in the world for not being decisive enough.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you couldn't get Conscientious Objector status you were pretty much thrown in military prison for the duration. This was unpleasant enough that many actually did volunteer to go to the front just to get out, something that is not a coincidence. COs still went into the Forces but were given non-combatant roles - again not coincidentally the criteria for CO status were such that if you weren't willing to crawl around under sniper fire as a medic or drive a truck through a minefield you were thrown in prison.

However there's basically zero chance of conscription coming back in even the medium term (next 5-10 years). The Forces just aren't set up for it, having spent more than half a century setting themselves up around a small, highly-professional volunteer model. It's notable that every time some frothing right-winger (notably one too old and fat to qualify) suggests bringing back National Service by far the loudest objections come from the Forces themselves - they don't need or want warm bodies with rifles, they want people who actually want to be there.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

happyhippy posted:

Bit of a GOTCHA question no matter how you answer.

"Yes" and you are worst in the world for not stopping it.
"No" and you are worst in the world for not helping the victims or allies.
"Maybe" and you are worst in the world for not being decisive enough.

Yeah this is hypothetical crap. No-one is being drafted and I imagine the answer would be extremely complex legally. Wouldn't respond if I were her.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

they don't need or want warm bodies with rifles, they want people who actually want to be there.

For a given value of want, anyway.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

baka kaba posted:

what hemisphere are you in right now mister

The worst one :(

Waiting for the missus to sort her visa out

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

For a given value of want, anyway.

It's pretty quick and easy to get out if you want to. At any point in your training or your first two years of duty you can pretty much just quit and they'll discharge you as "unsuited to military life" or something similar. Like I say, there's no real advantage in keeping someone around who doesn't want to be there, they're far more dangerous in than out. This even applies if you decide you don't want to go on deployment into a war zone.

The problem is that a lot of the people who "want" to be there don't actually want to be there for themselves but for external reasons so are unlikely to take the opportunity, and that's where a lot of the problems start. I've argued here about this before, but there's a tendency from a lot of people on the Left to assume that anyone wanting to go into the Forces are baby-eating psychopaths who join up because they can't wait to advance imperialist interests on a road of brown people's bones. Now while that's certainly true (well maybe not in so many words) for some proportion of people who join up, the majority join up because they see no other way of ever getting out of the town where they were born, or because their mates all joined up, or family tradition/pressure, or any combination of those factors, and it's that pressure against their own reservations that leads to the worst issues you get with mental health.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

what hemisphere are you in right now mister

I've crossed between Western and Eastern hemispheres a dozen or so times today just doing some shopping.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the majority join up because they see no other way of ever getting out of the town where they were born, or because their mates all joined up, or family tradition/pressure, or any combination of those factors, and it's that pressure against their own reservations that leads to the worst issues you get with mental health.

This is much more what I'm complaining about. I don't think even close to the majority of people who join up with the Forces are psychos, I think most of them are much more victims of lovely economies forcing them to do so. Possibly less so in this country than in the USA, because our education costs are lower and I don't think the forces pay for University the way they do in the US, but it's still the military-industrial complex exploiting the poor and vulnerable that concerns me, not giving psychos guns.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How old and fat do you need to be to avoid being drafted into the death cult? I need to start preparing my girth.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

This is much more what I'm complaining about. I don't think even close to the majority of people who join up with the Forces are psychos, I think most of them are much more victims of lovely economies forcing them to do so. Possibly less so in this country than in the USA, because our education costs are lower and I don't think the forces pay for University the way they do in the US, but it's still the military-industrial complex exploiting the poor and vulnerable that concerns me, not giving psychos guns.

"You'll learn a trade" is the UK equivalent of the US GI Bill, and works just as well. A lot of that is that the idea of college being a route out of poverty is a much, much newer idea in the UK than the US of course.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

In other news, HIGNFY is hot garbage and I'm embarrassed that I ever used to laugh at their sneering bullshit

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1212686086767620096?s=19

I say I say! Did you hear about the pleb child who fell into a mixing vat the other day?

Oh goodness, what a mix-up!

No don't worry, it made their gruel slightly more nutritious! ROFL HONK HONK HONK

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Currently arguing with Dom Joly on Twitter trying to back up Jeremy Corbyn and who I think is a fellow UK goon from this thread, it’s been a strange way to wake up.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

In other news, HIGNFY is hot garbage and I'm embarrassed that I ever used to laugh at their sneering bullshit

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1212686086767620096?s=19

Am I reading this wrong, or is that a 'you reap what you sow by voting Tory' joke which is actually good imo.
It's pointing out how the Tories will not help much, not disparaging food banks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1213119730829217806

Twitter guessing it's Bernie Ecclestone but I've got my own theory which I sure as hell am not going to share until she names him, because he's got a shitload of lawyers.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

happyhippy posted:

Am I reading this wrong, or is that a 'you reap what you sow by voting Tory' joke which is actually good imo.
It's pointing out how the Tories will not help much, not disparaging food banks.

I read it your way originally but quite clearly hundreds didn't so I second-guessed myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's HIGNFY so it's hard to imagine it not being sneering even if it's technically accurate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1213119730829217806

Twitter guessing it's Bernie Ecclestone but I've got my own theory which I sure as hell am not going to share until she names him, because he's got a shitload of lawyers.

Give us some initials you coward

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Braggart posted:

"You know, I was raised to hate cats, but you seem pretty alright!" said Jessflips the upwardly mobile mouse.

"Why thank you," said Rees the Mogg. "You're quite captivating yourself. Frankly delicious company."

...:words:

Edit: Number 11 in my new book of centrist fairy tales.
This, but with the CGI from the Cats movie.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The CNN analysis piece on this is a thing of beauty: one giant What The gently caress?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/03/middleeast/us-logic-baghdad-strike-intl/index.html

quote:

like with all strategies, there is a flaw. The Iranians have a plan. They had one for Iraq, where they continue to have influence despite protests, whereas the US doesn't really. They have one for Syria, from which the US keeps wanting to withdraw. They have proxies in Yemen, Lebanon and Syria, all able to extract a price from American allies. They can also extract a price from Israel, where Lebanon's Hezbollah has rockets aimed at this key US ally, and a direct line to Iran. Iran is strategic, and it is patient.

Iran is also facing a White House where key personnel change annually. There is little Iranian expertise around President Donald Trump at this moment -- key officials are often chosen simply for their hardline stance.
Brian Hook, Trump's Iran point man, has limited experience in this.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I've read all the Clancy novels.

You're hired! :trumpsmug:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

The worst one :(

Waiting for the missus to sort her visa out

... hey! that's this one!!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've crossed between Western and Eastern hemispheres a dozen or so times today just doing some shopping.

just thought of a supermarket with the international date line running right down the middle - imagine the reductions deals

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

just thought of a supermarket with the international date line running right down the middle - imagine the reductions deals

Quite a lot of water-damage reductions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

... hey! that's this one!!

Or just read Puckoon instead.