Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

The next six posts decide the fate of the world

https://youtu.be/yTtUOFC8tDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Quads City? More like QUDS city, Ummawi.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

John mccain looking up, smiling

him and Bush sr

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

Stop posting unverified tweets.

The Blue Checkmark Martyrs Brigade is my favorite PMU.
:d2a:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I think this will be the test of whether or not US hegemony is ultimately unbreakable. If Iran doesn't respond with actual military force it means that the US can do whatever it wants in any country. It's a huge gamble for Trump with an equally huge payoff if it goes his way.

The lack of military force from Iran so far indicates they have no idea what the gently caress to do. I'm still leaning towards predicting that Iran won't do anything besides issuing a few statements calling for the annihilation of the US and Israel.

Chuka Umana has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Jan 3, 2020

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
idk the natural move here would be to assassinate us officials abroad, and that's something iran is very much capable of doing

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

i mean the natural move here would be to assassinate us officials abroad, and that's something iran is very much capable of doing

They can do that but they have to recognize that a retaliatory strike is something Trump wants so he has a reason to start the war. They really can't do anything without starting a war. The Iranian government is probably freaking the gently caress out right now about how limited their options are, and the fact it's been almost 12 hours with no official response shows that Trump's cooked their goose.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

They can do that but they have to recognize that a retaliatory strike is something Trump wants so he has a reason to start the war. They really can't do anything without starting a war. The Iranian government is probably freaking the gently caress out right now about how limited their options are, and the fact it's been almost 12 hours with no official response shows that Trump's cooked their goose.

Forcing the Iraqi government to expel American forces seems like their best option. If they can't manage that after something like this, people have been dramatically overstating their influence for years. If the Iraqi government tries and American forces don't leave, congrats, we have an occupation again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Iran's best option that would get the entire world on their side would probably be to blow up Trump hotels and golf resorts in other countries.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Iran's best option that would get the entire world on their side would probably be to blow up Trump hotels and golf resorts in other countries.

Erdogan would be pissed if Iran took away the leverage he has over Trump in Istanbul.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Sinteres posted:

Forcing the Iraqi government to expel American forces seems like their best option. If they can't manage that after something like this, people have been dramatically overstating their influence for years. If the Iraqi government tries and American forces don't leave, congrats, we have an occupation again.

Iran would be threatening the Iraqi bourgeois and middle classes by removing the US presence. It wouldn't make it through parliament because the moneyed interests would be hounding the MPs.

The Iranian regime has been overestimated by the western press and the neoconservatives. The country is in economic shambles and their various proxies across the middle east like Hezbollah are basically just an anti-Zionist street gang at this point.

Chuka Umana has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Jan 3, 2020

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

Iran would be threatening the Iraqi bourgeois and middle classes by removing the US presence. It wouldn't make it through parliament because the moneyed interests would be hounding the MPs.

The Iraqi PM seems to have jumped right in there anyway.

https://twitter.com/abujamajem/status/1213010725574070272?s=21

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

The Iranian regime has been overestimated by the western press and the neoconservatives. The country is in economic shambles and their various proxies across the middle east like Hezbollah are basically just an anti-Zionist street gang at this point.

I think you're veering a bit far in the other direction if you think Hezbollah's just a street gang. Their "win" over Israel in 2006 has been overstated, but they were the elite force that kept Assad alive in the early years of the Syrian Civil War, in which they got a lot of battlefield experience. Iraqi militias aren't on their level, but they have combat experience from the fight against ISIS too.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

I think this will be the test of whether or not US hegemony is ultimately unbreakable. If Iran doesn't respond with actual military force it means that the US can do whatever it wants in any country. It's a huge gamble for Trump with an equally huge payoff if it goes his way.

The lack of military force from Iran so far indicates they have no idea what the gently caress to do. I'm still leaning towards predicting that Iran won't do anything besides issuing a few statements calling for the annihilation of the US and Israel.

it hasn't even been a day since the assassination

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Suleimani getting merked by a drone means someone on the ground sold him out, right?

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Atrocious Joe posted:

it hasn't even been a day since the assassination

Wow no coordinated attacks on U.S. assets in 12 hours? Iran is trash.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

succ posted:

Wow no coordinated attacks on U.S. assets in 12 hours? Iran is trash.

Not only has it only been half a day, the guy who would be coordinating the attacks just got assassinated

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Chuka Umana posted:

you’re a loving moron bro

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nothus posted:

Suleimani getting merked by a drone means someone on the ground sold him out, right?

They were US helicopters, and his flight into Iraq was public knowledge. None of this was a secret, they just thought Trump wouldn't be deranged enough to do something like this.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Nothus posted:

No, he was openly and legally in the country with thr full knowledge of the iraqi government, as a uniformed representative of a country they have diplomatic relations with. He wasn't hiding, because under normal circumstances he shouldn't have to - the US has just basically declared they can murder anyone from any government whenever and wherever they choose.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

ah, it's been

jeez, it's only been like eight hours since these details emerged, grover-in-training

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Chuka Umana posted:

no one in Iraq ever made a profit from America, that’s why Iran is way more popular than America has ever been.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

US conservatives seem to think that Suleimani being in Iraq at all was illegal, so I wonder if that influenced Trump's decision.

US officials seem to actually believe that their designation of the IRGC as a terrorist group reflects reality and isn't just a legal justification.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/daCultDude/status/1212944531710042112

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Atrocious Joe posted:

US conservatives seem to think that Suleimani being in Iraq at all was illegal, so I wonder if that influenced Trump's decision.

US officials seem to actually believe that their designation of the IRGC as a terrorist group reflects reality and isn't just a legal justification.

Our pal Noam is right, US actions only make sense if you assume we think we own the entire world

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

I want to know what drug combo you need to take to be this loving dumb.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i think we need to chill and put away our risk boards: persia edition until we hear more news from iran

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Darth Walrus posted:

The Iraqi PM seems to have jumped right in there anyway.

https://twitter.com/abujamajem/status/1213010725574070272?s=21

if the tweeter is accurately describing the statement, then it looks like Iran is also emphasizing the strike as a violation of Iraqi sovereignty. You don't have to squint super hard to see "escalation of conflict in Iraq" as a likely/major avenue of response.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Chuka Umana posted:

This [mine] post typed from inside a wrecked merkava tank in southern lebanon

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Iran is probably also waiting for the funerals to conclude before doing something. The guy's body isn't even in the ground yet.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Does it even matter what Iran does? Can they even afford to do nothing if that's what it would take?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
it’s been eight hours not everyone launches missiles at airports as a laugh.

if you are going to retaliate you got to plan it first

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Phigs posted:

Does it even matter what Iran does? Can they even afford to do nothing if that's what it would take?

well they could mass cruise missile attack saudi arabias oil production and I can promise that's gonna matter

the question is what they WILL do and as people have been saying they weren't exactly sitting there expecting one of their top military officials to be assassinated while on official diplomatic business with a planned response to that kind of aggression.

mila kunis posted:

No, he was openly and legally in the country with thr full knowledge of the iraqi government, as a uniformed representative of a country they have diplomatic relations with. He wasn't hiding, because under normal circumstances he shouldn't have to - the US has just basically declared they can murder anyone from any government whenever and wherever they choose.

yeah this is what's so hosed up about it, it's literally a tinpot dictator move like something you'd expect bolsonaro or the interim government of bolivia to try to pull

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I mean I never thought they were gonna be so stupid, I thought they might hit another PMU leader or something but not this

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Martout posted:

well they could mass cruise missile attack saudi arabias oil production and I can promise that's gonna matter

the question is what they WILL do and as people have been saying they weren't exactly sitting there expecting one of their top military officials to be assassinated while on official diplomatic business with a planned response to that kind of aggression.

Nah I mean in terms of does it matter for preventing war. Do they have any realistic ways to de-escalate at this point?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
we could theoretically but we definitely won’t

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Chuka Umana posted:

Chuka Umana posted:

it is I the goon acting like im an expert on something i know absolutely nothing about so that I the Expert Genius can lord over all the other goons that also dont know what the gently caress is going to happen and what iran is planning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
middle east thread: #severerevenge