Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a massive glut of stuff either stuck in china or at the us port. I have a missing box that I'm going on 30 days waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

There's Ironhide and Ratchet in that scale and I think Bumblebee. But yeah, after that it's nuthin.

Edit: To be fair, there are a few OSKOs of other stuff that is roughly the same scale as MPP-10. I'm in Alabama so I can't put up a comparison but the WJ upscale of Studio Series Optimus is HUGE and gorgeous and scales well with MPP-10.
Oh yeah I forgot about the vans. Weren't they improved to not have the hip panels too? An oversized Bumblebee would be cool because it'd probably scale in vehicle mode with the other cars properly, but then none of the third-party minibots scale in vehicle mode so I feel like that ship has sailed.

TheDK posted:

8 pieces is dumb.
Non-transforming Transformers are dumb.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Siege Megatron is on sale for 25 bucks on Amazon, also Trypticon is on sale there for 105 dollars in case anyone wants a giant robot dinosaur son

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

banned from Starbucks posted:

goddamn studio series Soundwave is tiny. Like Barricade tiny.

My showz order has been stuck with no update for over a month even having ordered it before black friday. Now theyre telling me i have to wait another couple weeks before they do anything. tha gently caress?

Shipping into the country from China takes forever from roughly the last two weeks of November to roughly a week or two into January. Do you at least have tracking info, and if so did it hit US customs (or customs for whichever country you're in) yet? Stuff from China seems to take a good 10-14 days to clear customs in the US even without the Christmas crunch loving things up. Either way, Showz will take care of you no matter what. If it doesn't turn up they'll absolutely resend it or refund you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Someone had TR Overlord for 33 bucks* on Amazon as well, but I nabbed the last copy

*which after applying some leftover Amazon gift card money to got dropped down even further to 27 bucks

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Studio Series listings. There's also a voyager Earthrise Megatron mentioned.

TRAN: Gen Studio Voyager Skipjack (3) HSBE7214
TRAN: Gen Studio Voyager Scrapper (3) SKU HSBE7213
TRAN: Gen Studio Voyager Sentinel Prime (3) SKU HSBE7312

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 3, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

drrockso20 posted:

Someone had TR Overlord for 33 bucks* on Amazon as well, but I nabbed the last copy

*which after applying some leftover Amazon gift card money to got dropped down even further to 27 bucks

He turned up late in Smyths in Ireland for just €25 a while back. I didn't bother.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i liked the look of titans return black shadow more than the overlord, even though the mold was clearly meant as overlord first of all. overall though i'm not a huge fan of the headmaster gimmick for stuff that wasnt originally headmasters.

the official toylines engagement with the idw comics is weird to me. they keep putting in popular characters from the comics, like overlord and rung and the decepticon scavengers, but they do it in the kid-focused mainline. presumably the fans of the comics are primarily adults, so i don't know why they don't have an mpm or studio series style line of comics characters. they had the super mega expensive non-transforming tarn (which i still want, but i am not spending ~400 on anything that isnt bigger than a child) but bugger all else.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Thrilling thirty had a bunch of comic designs just when they were getting really popular. Probably didn't do well enough for them. Give it like 10 years though. Nostalgia is king.

Cyberverse does seem mainly comics inspired though. That's something.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I could be wrong but I think Thrilling 30 did bang-up business at the time. Plus POTP and CW and TR all were directly related to the comics in storyline, characters, design, and gimmicks.

I think your thinking is half-right. They’re banking on nostalgia for Siege and Earthrise right now. To sell Cyberverse, they’re banking on nerds wanting representations of under-seen characters and also cashing in from kids who just want toys from the show. So with two lines they’re bolstering the audience they know they have and also trying to grow the market before kiddos get addicted to screens.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing is more that between T30 and CW, the design team changed, and John Warden and his team wanted to go in a direction that focused more heavily on nostalgia

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We stopped at a Target in Pensacola and they were fully stocked, grabbed Singe so now I have all the Targetmaster goodness.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like how much traction hating on the original version of this is getting.

https://twitter.com/toygrind/status/1213144291910049793?s=21

The original:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i liked the look of titans return black shadow more than the overlord, even though the mold was clearly meant as overlord first of all. overall though i'm not a huge fan of the headmaster gimmick for stuff that wasnt originally headmasters.

the official toylines engagement with the idw comics is weird to me. they keep putting in popular characters from the comics, like overlord and rung and the decepticon scavengers, but they do it in the kid-focused mainline. presumably the fans of the comics are primarily adults, so i don't know why they don't have an mpm or studio series style line of comics characters. they had the super mega expensive non-transforming tarn (which i still want, but i am not spending ~400 on anything that isnt bigger than a child) but bugger all else.
Uhhhh... Unless Cyberverse got funky since I stopped paying attention the CHUG/WFC line *is* aimed at adult collectors, just not those who want Masterpieces of everything. It started to sell more when TRU ditched the exclusivity deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Caliburst and Smashdown came in at TCP and I think I'm gonna buy that Flame Toys Drift model.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Zebulon posted:

Shipping into the country from China takes forever from roughly the last two weeks of November to roughly a week or two into January. Do you at least have tracking info, and if so did it hit US customs (or customs for whichever country you're in) yet? Stuff from China seems to take a good 10-14 days to clear customs in the US even without the Christmas crunch loving things up. Either way, Showz will take care of you no matter what. If it doesn't turn up they'll absolutely resend it or refund you.

I have a tracking # but it hasnt hit customs yet. Its been sitting at "Beijing, Airline transported" for over a month.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
They just shut all of China down around this time. Every time I've ordered from Sirtoys has been this time of year.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/celebimber/status/1183877686709628933

in case the tweet embeds badly:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

IDW has a lot to answer for by making me like rodimus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

IDW has a lot to answer for by making me like rodimus.

I have no complaints, he's not even the same character he was when the IDW line began.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i just have leftover irrational childhood dislike of him, but i really like lost light captain rodimus.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I can't even say it's irrational.

But it's not the character's fault, either. Dude got screwed over after the movie so many different times and ways but it's not like he was ever a patch on Optimus. He could have been but...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've loved Rodimus since I was a kid and maybe someday we'll get a good MP Rodimus Prime. poo poo, I picked up the Hard Hero bust last year, I couldn't resist!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i do really want a good MP rodimus. the official one reminds me of a skinny guy wearing one of those awful old halloween costumes they would sell that are just a mask and a weird tabard thing.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I unabashedly love Rodimus, his character in pretty much every form, and his action figures. Lots of them are disappointments but I still initially pick them up anyway, hoping.

I love ALL the movie Autobots. It’s really clear they were formed as a team with their color schemes working so well with each other (each one distinct but vibrant without clashing).

I love his alt-mode from G1. It’s so weird and outlandish and boss. Giant sports car Winnebago; let’s loving go man.

I probably do like Ultra Magnus and Springer a little better though.

Edit:

Also I got DX9 Gabriel (dry as a bone, Rhyno) and he is

loving

AWESOME.

I love him. He is now my coffee table.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 5, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I shoulda jumped on that Gabriel deal but something about it bugs me. I dunno. I have Ultima Guard and the repaint so I'm not lacking for an Omega. Just hoping for one final Ebay deal so I can grab TG from Baba.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

We can probably all agree though that a lot of the G1 toys for the characters who debuted in the Movie are probably among the worst in the line

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

We can probably all agree though that a lot of the G1 toys for the characters who debuted in the Movie are probably among the worst in the line

Wheelie. The literal worst.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I've never seen G1 Toy Wheelie before

He's worse than ANY GoBot what happened

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Between my brother and me, we had most of the movie cast except for Blurr and Wheelie, and outside of both Hot Rod and Rodimus I don't remember them being particularly bad, like, there were 84/85s with just as bad posability. My brother had the better of it in retrospect though, cause he mostly liked the Decepticons.

After the movie, now, different story.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

scourge's toy, despite being maybe the first ever shellformer, is still a favourite of mine and I still have him. a few of the movie guys like galvatron and scourge had surprisingly good articulation for the time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Phy posted:

Between my brother and me, we had most of the movie cast except for Blurr and Wheelie, and outside of both Hot Rod and Rodimus I don't remember them being particularly bad, like, there were 84/85s with just as bad posability. My brother had the better of it in retrospect though, cause he mostly liked the Decepticons.

After the movie, now, different story.

It's not a matter of articulation, but rather aesthetics, a lot of the figures made for the Movie cast are really ugly(Galvatron especially sticks out), probably because many of them were among the first figures that Hasbro designed themselves rather than molds made by Takara or another Japanese toy company

Burkion posted:

Holy poo poo I've never seen G1 Toy Wheelie before

He's worse than ANY GoBot what happened

Honestly most Go-Bots look perfectly fine, outside of a couple really weird ones(most of which were ones that Tonka made rather than ones that originated in Bandai's Machine Robo line)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

g1 galvatron looks like a weird chess piece styled tin-man from the wizard of oz. i was very disappointed when i finally found him at some car boot sale or other and realised thats what the toy of the super cool galvatron from the movie was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't have a ton of TFs as a child but I did get Galvatron and that pistol mode was insulting to my child self.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I can still hear those squealing shrieky noises in my head.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I'm supposed to bring something new to boardgame night at the bar, so I went looking at the hobby shop and found this:

I own the base game and people are always ready to play it, so I figured why not buy it, and take pictures for this thread. Since Knock Offs and 3rd parties are also discussed here, why not?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, huffie turning into one of those little girl's bikes with the tassles on the handles and then those turning into pigtails in the robot mode is pretty great

most of the rest is way too on the nose though

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have way too many old Airfix Sherman kits floating around and I've been thinking of trying to bodge it into something like that Bruiser card.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pardon the terrible pictures, but I haven’t gotten a new Transformer since like 1990. Now I’ve gotten two in as many months. The Soundwave was a Christmas present from a friend after I helped him hunt down the reprints of the cassettes to go with his original Soundwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, Soundwave really does hold up as a nearly timeless action figure right up to the mid 2000s or so. If he had proper leg articulation there wouldn't be a whole lot to say against him.

What other G1 figures managed to age that gracefully?