Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mulva posted:

Why the hell would someone that hates Dave Filoni bother watching something that Filoni was so heavily involved with? Do you have some sort of brain injury that reduces your pattern recognition and object permanence functioning? Literally everything about this show being hyped up has been Fav and Filoni talking with folks because they were both heavily involved in it.

It doesn't matter if everything Dave Filoni does is poo poo, at a certain point the problem is you for constantly watching stuff he makes and bitching like a child about it. Move on.

I like my star wars, what can I say? Plus I was hoping this would be different (naive perhaps). The filoni episode was the worst of the season and the ending suggests it's going to get more Filoni-esque as it goes on.

I'm afraid the same thing that happened to Rebels is going to happen here where it all just goes to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Filoni episode was dragged down immensely by the stilted and awful acting of the young bounty hunter. Amy Sedaris and Ming Nan Wen we’re both cool, the sniper/speeder part was cool, the episode just focused on the worst actor in the series. I didn’t really see in what specific ways Filoni’s direction hurt the episode, just that the young Bounty Hunter was a terrible awful actor who killed the momentum of every scene he was in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

I'm really terrified Mando is going to go the way of Rebels.

So...become an incredible show that transcends the pulpy trappings of the genre to become legitimately touching? Cool, bring it on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve never seen anyone who thought Rebels got worse as it went on instead of better. :stonk:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bust Rodd posted:

The Filoni episode was dragged down immensely by the stilted and awful acting of the young bounty hunter. Amy Sedaris and Ming Nan Wen we’re both cool, the sniper/speeder part was cool, the episode just focused on the worst actor in the series. I didn’t really see in what specific ways Filoni’s direction hurt the episode, just that the young Bounty Hunter was a terrible awful actor who killed the momentum of every scene he was in.

Would you say that Filoni cant fail, he can only be failed?

jivjov posted:

So...become an incredible show that transcends the pulpy trappings of the genre to become legitimately touching? Cool, bring it on.

I do appreciate a good troll post. Nice try but you need to work on your gimmick if you want people to believe you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve never seen anyone who thought Rebels got worse as it went on instead of better. :stonk:

It went from a fun "slice of life" following a small rebel cell to overshadowed by characters from other shows to just straight up stealing from the shittiest parts of the EU. Disney got rid of the EU with good reason, bringing it back was just incredibly lazy. Plus all the Sabine poo poo got real bad and that puts Mando at risk if they are going to be pulling from Rebels as opposed to forgetting it.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 3, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shbobdb posted:

I like my star wars, what can I say? Plus I was hoping this would be different (naive perhaps). The filoni episode was the worst of the season and the ending suggests it's going to get more Filoni-esque as it goes on.

I'm afraid the same thing that happened to Rebels is going to happen here where it all just goes to poo poo.

But the thing is you don't, actually, seem to like your Star Wars. You like a relative minority of Star Wars related content and hate the rest. And there's no such thing as "A Filoni episode". They were all written by Jon Favreau. The bad episode, the things you thought were "Filoni-esque", he wrote them, that is the creative direction he wants to go in. Filoni only directed a couple of episodes and executive produces. So guess what, everything you hate is what the producers love and it's absolutely going to do the poo poo you don't want it to. And if for some reason you didn't know that going in to this, well, now you do. The "Filoni-esque" things are what Favreau likes, and they are of course what Filoni likes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

I do appreciate a good troll post. Nice try but you need to work on your gimmick if you want people to believe you.

Whatever gave you the idea that I'm at all "trolling"? Rebels is legit great; though I do personally wish it had stayed a bit more focused on the non-Force user Rebellion. Oh well, there's always the Cassian show for that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shbobdb posted:

I'd like to appreciate your posts as trolling but we know it's not true.

But Rebels became the best thing just like Clone Wars.

It's ok though - you don't have to like everything but being this loving wrong about things while continuing to watch with hatred makes you a nuisance. Sabine Wren is another of Filoni's great characters he contributed to the nu-Canon. The final season of Rebels is one of the best things out there and every characters relationship is treated so well.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Rebels is hands-down my #1 favorite piece of Star Wars media.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mulva posted:

But the thing is you don't, actually, seem to like your Star Wars. You like a relative minority of Star Wars related content and hate the rest. And there's no such thing as "A Filoni episode". They were all written by Jon Favreau. The bad episode, the things you thought were "Filoni-esque", he wrote them, that is the creative direction he wants to go in. Filoni only directed a couple of episodes and executive produces. So guess what, everything you hate is what the producers love and it's absolutely going to do the poo poo you don't want it to. And if for some reason you didn't know that going in to this, well, now you do. The "Filoni-esque" things are what Favreau likes, and they are of course what Filoni likes.

You can love something while also being critical of it. I love star wars but I hate the bad things in star wars. The kind of uncritical love you are advocating is how you get the old EU poo poo. I agree Mando is probably going to go more in that direction and I think that sucks.

jivjov posted:

Whatever gave you the idea that I'm at all "trolling"? Rebels is legit great; though I do personally wish it had stayed a bit more focused on the non-Force user Rebellion. Oh well, there's always the Cassian show for that.

But that's what you lost as the show went on! It seems like we agree in principle just not in magnitude with how Rebels changed.

Vintersorg posted:

It's ok though - you don't have to like everything but being this loving wrong about things while continuing to watch with hatred makes you a nuisance. Sabine Wren is another of Filoni's great characters he contributed to the nu-Canon. The final season of Rebels is one of the best things out there and every characters relationship is treated so well.

I just dont get this attitude at all. "Everyone gets a lightsaber, lightsabers everywhere!" Plus everybody is royalty! The no name pilot is the daughter of the leader of her world. The mandalorian is a princess. Everybody is a princess. These are terrible ideas. Throw a heaping pile of Thrawn and some of the other EU stuff like the middle road force demon thingy on there and it just gets worse.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And don't get me wrong, was every episode amazing and knocking it out the park? No, but what show does that The Witcher? However, when it hit it hit really goddamn strong.

E: That's Star Wars.

Luke is the son of the most evil and powerful force user.
Leia is a princess of a world.
Obi Wan was the best friend of Vader.
Han Solo is the best smuggler.
Chewie knows all the good wookies.
Lando is captain of the biggest town and is rich.
Tarkin is the best moff and Vaders best friend.
Padme is a princess and important member of parliament.
Jar Jar is known across his people for being an idiot.
Poe is the greatest pilot.
Finn is a force using stormtrooper.

Mando has the most important bounty.

I hate to use this line as it's DUMB but... it applies to you:

You Don't Like Star Wars

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 3, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

But that's what you lost as the show went on! It seems like we agree in principle just not in magnitude with how Rebels changed.

The show didn't lose me. I still love the story it told.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shbobdb posted:

I love star wars but I hate the bad things in star wars.

But most of the Star Wars things you've talked about are things you hate. Let me break this to you gently: On balance, you actually don't love Star Wars.

quote:

I just dont get this attitude at all. "Everyone gets a lightsaber, lightsabers everywhere!" Plus everybody is royalty! The no name pilot is the daughter of the leader of her world. The mandalorian is a princess. Everybody is a princess. These are terrible ideas. Throw a heaping pile of Thrawn and some of the other EU stuff like the middle road force demon thingy on there and it just gets worse.

See, this is what Star Wars has always been and you hate it. You seem to hate most of Star Wars. There's nothing wrong with that, just accept it and move on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t hate Star Wars, I hate 7/9 of the movies, all 3 cartoons, all of the novels, the comic books...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really only hate 2 of the movies though there are also only three really good ones. But they are very good.

On balance I liked Clone Wars and the first season of Rebels. I didn't hate it until the last season. There was just a decrease in things to like over time. Resistance is unwatchably bad but it's like the Lego Yoda show where it is aimed at kids in such a way that you cant expect adults to like it. It's probably perfectly serviceable as a kid show for kids.

Lol at the books and comics. Who reads those? There is a small window of time where reading franchise genre fiction is acceptable and it's from like third grade to whenever you hit puberty. It's like resistance where you almost cant fault it for being bad because what else could it be?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Movies and cartoons are good but anyone who reads books and comic books is a loser baby
- a truly galaxy brain take

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

There is a small window of time where reading franchise genre fiction is acceptable and it's from like third grade to whenever you hit puberty.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
-C.S. Lewis

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Proudly reading franchise genre fiction and comic books does make you a loser baby, yes. Almost by definition.

CS Lewis wasn't talking about reading dreck. Have some self respect man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Okay so I tried the nice way, now I'm gonna try the not nice way.

Stop policing other people's entertainment choices, you miserable cad

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Stop arguing with the dude that is mad about children's cartoons. Just laugh at his poor life choices and move on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Star Wars is for adults but Spider-Man is for children” is beyond parody and indicates a person who spends most of their life smelling their own farts out of a bag. You’re arguing online about aliens with laser swords, this isn’t Dostoyevsky

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are you disparaging the books?!

*angrily gets into his sun crusher and flies away*

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Star Wars is for everyone but spider man is for children" is a fine take. Plenty of children's entertainment can be enjoyed by people of all ages (Hobbit, Star Wars, Narnia, Winnie the Pooh, Charlotte's web, classic Disney, etc) other ones are just for kids (comic books, peppa pig, my little pony, Spot the Dog, Clifford the Big Red Dog, sesame street, etc). Not that an adult can't reminisce in the "only for children" section but if a kid isn't involved, yeah, that raises some red flags.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

but if a kid isn't involved, yeah, that raises some red flags.

Delete your loving account, dude. This is hosed up. People like you are why single fathers have trouble doing poo poo with their kids.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Stop getting bad at the bad takes machine, they are either trolling and a moron or just a moron.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shbobdb posted:

Proudly reading franchise genre fiction and comic books does make you a loser baby, yes. Almost by definition.

You're right, adults watch it. Completely different, and absolutely more grown up.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just put yhem on your ignore list. Like, look at their rap sheet. All they do is low effort poo poo trolls.

Anyways, I really enjoyed Mandalorian, and I am enjoying Filoni's work. Hopefully his cameo becomes a pilot for x-wing minis

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thats one helluva rap sheet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Moon Slayer posted:

Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

Groundskeeper Willy yelling about 'drat Star Wars fans, they ruined Star Wars' here.

As the Disney era of Star Wars rolls on, I gets more and more amused to hear 'Disney got rid of the EU' since they'll clearly grab from it with both hands if they want to, at least in part because who has the time to come up with naming Imperial intelligence the Imperial Security Bureau.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anyways, I really enjoyed Mandalorian, and I am enjoying Filoni's work. Hopefully his cameo becomes a pilot for x-wing minis

About the only thing I know about Poe is that he's an X-Wing pilot, having skipped Last Jedi and Rise because I didn't really care for Force Awakens (and don't care about any of the movies all that much, honestly, original trilogy included), but if Disney uses Poe to launch a new X-Wing show or game that takes at least some inspiration from the Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron books then I'll be all over that poo poo.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

I really only hate 2 of the movies though there are also only three really good ones. But they are very good.

On balance I liked Clone Wars and the first season of Rebels. I didn't hate it until the last season. There was just a decrease in things to like over time. Resistance is unwatchably bad but it's like the Lego Yoda show where it is aimed at kids in such a way that you cant expect adults to like it. It's probably perfectly serviceable as a kid show for kids.

Lol at the books and comics. Who reads those? There is a small window of time where reading franchise genre fiction is acceptable and it's from like third grade to whenever you hit puberty. It's like resistance where you almost cant fault it for being bad because what else could it be?
all true. but this thread isn't going to hear it.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
For what it is worth, the Vader comic and Doctor Aphra comic are some of the best out there. You'd be only hurting your self by ignoring them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zane posted:

all true. but this thread isn't going to hear it.

All true? Interesting.

So which two are the bad movies Zane?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burning_Monk posted:

For what it is worth, the Vader comic and Doctor Aphra comic are some of the best out there. You'd be only hurting your self by ignoring them.

The new Star Wars that dropped this week is also really good and worth a goon's time.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dawgstar posted:

The new Star Wars that dropped this week is also really good and worth a goon's time.

Cool! I will have to check that out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

Filoni's shortcomings as a live-action director were pretty obvious I thought. More so when you compare his episodes to the likes of Deborah Chow's, or Taika's work in the finale. Which is fine, though, because Filoni can only get better as he gains more experience directing live-action stuff. But The Gunslinger and the pilot definitely stand out as the weaker episodes of the season solely on the basis of Filoni's inexperience imo, lame Han Solo wannabe character acting/writing aside.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Someone give that guy his crying baby avatar back, it was the only truly good avatar+posts combo.

Dawgstar posted:

Groundskeeper Willy yelling about 'drat Star Wars fans, they ruined Star Wars' here.

Like Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans!
And Battlestar Galactica fan and Star Wars fans!
And Chronicles of Narnia fans and Star Wars fans!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Filoni’s live-action stuff has been pretty whatever but just lol if the last few years haven’t convinced you he’s one of the few creatives working on the franchise that truly gets what makes it all work and endure.

I’ll watch or read just about any current Star Wars project spearheaded by Filoni, Rian Johnson, or Charles Soule without reservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah Filoni is an artist as heart. There's legit no one else I'd rather have at the head of making creative decisions involving Star Wars stuff than him. However disappointed I was with his direction/writing on Mandalorian, that doesn't deter me from being a fan of his work at all. The guy created my favorite Star Wars character in Ahsoka :allears:

[edit] Give me a new SW trilogy written and directed by Rian Johnson, produced by Filoni and Favreau.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 3, 2020