Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Even Geraldo thinks this was dumb as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/karlbode/status/1213118670181822464?s=21

I’m sure GG will be on Tucker Carlson soon explaining why this is a good thing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Earlier this year, I thought "well, this ending with Deutsche Bank is going to be embarrassing enough", but lol, Trump delivers

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lol that site is down now

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1213124164653113344?s=19

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Flying_Crab posted:

https://twitter.com/karlbode/status/1213118670181822464?s=21

I’m sure GG will be on Tucker Carlson soon explaining why this is a good thing.

Greenwald loves him some strongmen for sure, and is a huge idiot to boot.

I tried listening to Chapo Traphouse a while back for a month or so until they did an episode with him and it was such a huge Oof I unsubscribed ten minutes in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Adam H. Johnson is a thin-skinned little doofus who for some reason has a Greenwaldesque tendency to find himself supporting utterly reprehensible characters in the name of "anti-imperialism" so of course he's trying to play down the amount of morons who thought Maureen Dowd was a loving brain genius for her "Donald the Dove" thinkpiece.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 3, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just a reminder that Jacob Wohl toxxed for war with Iran lol

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob-wohl-says-hell-enlist-if-trump-attacks-iran

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I don’t think I’ve read or heard ‘impeachment’ in the last 24 hours.

McConnell (R-Turtle) is expected to address the Senate today about how the trial will be run. Pelosi is waiting to forward the two articles of impeachment to the Senate, so there appears to be at least some ability to counter being steamrolled on both scope and timing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oil prices shot up on the news so, both a potential gently caress-all war AND we'll pay more at the pump. Thanks, Fuhrer!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oil prices shot up on the news so, both a potential gently caress-all war AND we'll pay more at the pump. Thanks, Fuhrer!

Didn’t gas prices hitting like $4/gal plummet GWB’s approval nationally?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

colachute posted:

Didn’t gas prices hitting like $4/gal plummet GWB’s approval nationally?

Yeah. I think the smartest and lowest bodycount response Iran could do would be steps to increase fuel costs. It'll be tricky to not do something in the course of that that makes Trump start bombing though. Especially since Trump seems like he really wants an excuse to start bombing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While they've been hosed up for decades, and there was certainly a lot of flag toting "Murica! gently caress Yeah!" post 9/11 poo poo going on, I can't really say it felt like Republicans were a death cult with GWB as their holy avatar. The political laws of physics seem to have changed since then and I just don't see super high gas prices today cracking the cult base. As long as those loving whack jobs get permission to be bigoted poo poo heads and make the out-group suffer they will never forsake their master.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1213143576328032257

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I hope no Americans are hurt or killed, if they are, we brought this on ourselves. We deserve a bloody nose.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Yeah. I think the smartest and lowest bodycount response Iran could do would be to release the piss tape.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

The Piss Tape Israel!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Why would they release it when they can just threaten him with it and probably get him to bomb California or some other state he hates?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Best Friends posted:

Yeah. I think the smartest and lowest bodycount response Iran could do would be steps to increase fuel costs. It'll be tricky to not do something in the course of that that makes Trump start bombing though. Especially since Trump seems like he really wants an excuse to start bombing.

Trump will start bombing and tap into the oil reserves in the US. "You get a war AND relief at the pump from Your Favorite President!".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cheeto is obsessed with "Taking the oil". It sure is nice that someone else's kids get to die so he can feel like a tough guy.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

As a reminder, a fellow goon has put up amazing effort post on Iran-US relations, and you should read it.

quote:

Here we get Rafsanjani really trying to make peace with the US and just cool everyone off, they gave a huge oil contract to a US company to develop an offshore oil field, the government and the CIA pushed for this to happen as they really wanted to try and break the ice. But then the republicans won Congress and the Israeli lobby and those who just plain hated Bill Clinton and they put up even harsher economic sanctions. This is the point that Newt Gingrich really starts yelling about overthrowing Iran. He pushed through a very public 18 million dollars for the CIA's budget for Iranian operations. This would accomplish bugger all, you can’t run a spy ring in a coffee shop for 18 million. It completely tanked any chance of the CIA really developing any meaningful Iranian intelligence network (Which they had lost in its entirety 6 years prior). What the CIA actually did was stuff like smuggling books into Iran. The one thing this really achieved was in convincing Iran that America was essentially declaring full scale covert war against them, so Iran countered by actually declaring covert war. They attempted to start a riot in Bahrain and then blew up Khobar towers in Saudi Arabia, a building that housed a bunch of USAF personnel of whom they killed 20 and injured a further 400. The revolutionary guard navy harassed boats in the gulf leading to concerns about suicide boat attacks against the USN.

It took some wrangling but the US agrees over the objections of Bolton, Wolfowitz and Luti (the assistant secretary of defence for near eastern affairs, who had served as Gingriches military aid before entering the administration). Iran gives the US significant intelligence about where the Taliban are in Afghanistan and are really pushing commonalities, the US are a bit leery but take their information and it develops into regular talks.

However at this point the Israelis intercept a shipment of weapons to Palestine from Iran, it seems unlikely this was an official government action but it still puts a bit of a spanner in the works. Then we get possibly the most ill-considered speech, the Axis of Evil speech. Which is notable because it didn’t come out of US government policy on Iran, because the US government had no policy on Iran at all, it was a lyrical flourish. This really hacks off Iran who withdraw from the talks, release a major Taliban commander and start undermining the government the US is trying to install in Afghanistan.

This is essentially the very very short version of Iranian relations with the US since 1989. I hope it has illuminated why making a deal with Iran is quite so drat difficult. They are a deeply fractured nation with an uneasy balance of power between moderates and radicals. There is only really one person who can actually impart order, and that is the Supreme Leader Khameini. The supreme religious lot in charge are all really loving old, they have been there for decades and have seen everything come to nought and still in my view cling to this idea of Iranian regional hegemon as a greater Shia state that Khomeini explicitly stated was the goal of the Islamic revolution back in 1979.

The second is that Iran is pretty much as to blame for this as the US is, precisely how much is open to personal interpretation, there is no denying the huge scale of the damage that Dubyas administration did to ever finding an actual solution. But Iran has nobody but itself to blame for the fact that nobody likes them given their constant and repeated actions. It’s a revolutionary state that never learned to stop fighting, and really its been fighting for nigh on 40 years now.

Iran and America now just fundamentally cannot trust each other, Iranian overtures historically have largely been met by either disbelief or a demand for complete capitulation by the US. And US overtures have been met with either silence or another campaign of bombings by Iran. The fact that the Obama deal got signed at all is an absolute miracle given the legacy of distrust that it had to overcome. Hardliners on both sides want war, its very difficult for them not to get it at this stage.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

A buddy of mine is retired SF, still does recon training on contract basis 'round Fayettenam, he just posted this on FB and I had to share:

a real dude posted:

Drone attacks seem a little pricey and scaredy cat like when we have heroes like Eddie Gallagher and his hatchet. I bet if you rounded up everybody with a punisher decal on their truck we could take down Iran in weekend.

E: lol he's on a roll

quote:

Time for the draft. I'm tired of my taxes being used to lure recruits with promises of free college, etc. It kind of distracts from that whole notion of "service".

dubzee fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 3, 2020

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Any chance Iraq will tell us to pack up our poo poo an leave?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dubzee posted:

A buddy of mine is retired SF, still does recon training on contract basis 'round Fayettenam, he just posted this on FB and I had to share:

Hell, let’s give it a shot

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LongDarkNight posted:

Any chance Iraq will tell us to pack up our poo poo an leave?

They're in the process of doing so in the Iraqi parliament right now. The bigger question is if we'll listen or not.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

a real dude posted:

Drone attacks seem a little pricey and scaredy cat like when we have heroes like Eddie Gallagher and his hatchet. I bet if you rounded up everybody with a punisher decal on their truck we could take down Iran in weekend.

https://twitter.com/AsherLangton/status/1213122262045483008?s=19

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/jpaceDC/status/1213154848448876544?s=19

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

So how long before we have 100k troops back in the region? By Election Day?

How long before trump “jokes” about cancelling the election?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a real dude posted:

A bay of pigs we could all get behind. Godspeed, dipshits o7

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

facialimpediment posted:

They're in the process of doing so in the Iraqi parliament right now. The bigger question is if we'll listen or not.

The only way we could have gotten ahead on this is it were a decapitation strike part of a campaign to replace the parliamentarians and militia leaders with US allies. That sure didn't loving happen.

So it looks like a bunch of people who should know better talked themselves into thinking that a nation that fought through chemical weapon attacks in living memory will back down and roll over if you just give them a good smack.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
still a rumour so far

https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1213166276752879616

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:bisonyes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He just swallowed a fair amount of lead dust.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i have absolutely no sympathy for anyone that joined post 2016 lmao

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mustafa Salim (@Mustafa_salimb) Tweeted:
@farnazfassihi I just called the Iraqi army 7th division commander who is based there, he completely denied it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

madeintaipei posted:

Mustafa Salim (@Mustafa_salimb) Tweeted:
@farnazfassihi I just called the Iraqi army 7th division commander who is based there, he completely denied it.

"There are no incoming missiles in Ain Al-Assad! Never!"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Let's maybe not jump to conclusions based on unconfirmed twitter rumors.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EBB posted:

Let's maybe not jump to conclusions based on unconfirmed twitter rumors.

Yeah, we should all know better than to believe reports of "MASSIVE BLOW STRUCK AGAINST CRUSADERS" since most of us have at one or more times walked around the perfectly intact base areas that the Taliban, ISIS, AQ, AS, or whoever have declared to be a smoldering crater full of American bodies.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
CJTF-OIR confirmed that there was no attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://twitter.com/NYTBen/status/1213078996621156353?s=20

Jeet Christ, when I went through a phase of ending all my papers with "In conclusion, x is a y of contrasts" at least I had the excuse of being in eighth loving grade at the time.

In conclusion, NYT is a land of contrasts poo poo.