Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you highroll a number that dodges your opponent's removal this card seems very strong, you can probably kill the 1 or 2 creatures your opponent has that would be able to block it.

It seems like it will be TNN with double the power a reasonable amount of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually think Achilles here is quite good

My question is where's the part where he pouts in his tent and refuses to do anything

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

I actually think Achilles here is quite good

My question is where's the part where he pouts in his tent and refuses to do anything

What deck would play him? A 4 drop in boros without haste?

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

C-Euro posted:

The number 3, my one weakness! How did you know?!

It's his Achilles Heel :classiclol:

I actually think this card looks quite strong; if you can protect it from your opponent's one or two threats of the right cost, it starts to look a lot like a 6/1 True-Name Nemesis. The randomness may actually be a significant benefit since it can't be (as easily) sideboarded against. I want to try building around this one.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
There are going to be certain games where you just lose to that dude and get increasingly more frustrated as you fail to draw cards that interact with it. Probably only in limited though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

In commander, where he's virtually invincible.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I’m surprised at the reaction, I thought Achilles was a super cool design and potentially pretty powerful.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Seems like a reasonable top end in aggro because he has 6 power and is immune to most removal

If lots of people are playing wraths he gets worse ofc

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The downsides outweigh the upsides most of the time IMO.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Seems fine. Getting beat to death by this in limited while desperately searching for something with the right CMC to answer it is going to be infuriating.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mat Cauthon posted:

Seems fine. Getting beat to death by this in limited while desperately searching for something with the right CMC to answer it is going to be infuriating.

That's kinda my problem with it, it either just dies or randomly takes over the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hakros is better then he seems. 6/1 is a weird statline, but randomly having protection from most of the spells in the game (and not always the same ones) makes him really obnoxious to deal with. 4 in particular dodges most of the removal in the currently seeing play not named Wicked Wolf and forces the opponent to trade with something far nicer then Hakros himself. Even rolling a 2 against most decks requires one of a small suite of answers in hand- most of GP Portland's top 8 have less then eight ways to interact with him at 2 at all pre-sideboard. I'm not saying he's some crazy bomb, but he could be an amazing game 1 surprise against a lot of decks that you take out as decks sideboard in a clumsy suite of cards to deal with him.

Rolling a 3 is probably the feel-bad moment of the current year though, yeah, but this guy plus a repeatable source of flicker (like Thassa) could be pretty funny.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Haktos is quite literally Variance: The Creature.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

LupusAter posted:

How? They still can't block him.

true!

i actually think the number one thing that might keep him from seeing play is that atrocious mana cost and lack of haste. he'll beat down quickly, and he's super funny in conjunction with flicker effects, but taking all of turn 4 (assuming your mana is PERFECT) to play a non-hasted threat that might just die (depending on luck and what oppo is holding) is not what boros wants to be doing.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I mean it still dies to carnarium and time wipe and kayas wrath and a 2/3 chance of being vulnerable to the staple removal of the format.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

true!

i actually think the number one thing that might keep him from seeing play is that atrocious mana cost and lack of haste. he'll beat down quickly, and he's super funny in conjunction with flicker effects, but taking all of turn 4 (assuming your mana is PERFECT) to play a non-hasted threat that might just die (depending on luck and what oppo is holding) is not what boros wants to be doing.

Sure, but at least he's a very potent blocker on turn 4.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

Sure, but at least he's a very potent blocker on turn 4.

Can't wait for someone to block a questing beast with this guy though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well at least I can put through a lot of damage with an Embercleave on him at least right guys?

... right?

:smugdog:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Yeah Haktos is actually really hard to kill. The wording is confusing, but he has protection from EVERY number other than the picked number, not just the other two. That's a lot of protection, actually.

qbert fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 3, 2020

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

In commander, where he's virtually invincible.

commander, a format where no one runs a trillion board wipes!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Paul Zuvella posted:

commander, a format where no one runs a trillion board wipes!

Look man if someone is blowing a board wipe for a 6/1 then I'm doing my job.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I actually like the Phoenix. :unsmith:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He doesn't really work in commander anyway because he also has protection from all the equipment you'd want to put on him.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
You can't even voltron him up though. Like this guy needs to swing at the same target 4 times in order to kill them.

e: ^^ :hf:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just blink him until you get the protection number you want.

Do I have to think of everything!?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Just run static enchantments! True conviction has a new friend! :3:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

odiv posted:

Well at least I can put through a lot of damage with an Embercleave on him at least right guys?

... right?

:smugdog:

Sorry, he has protection from 6

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hearthstone garbage in MY card game?!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Sorry, he has protection from 6
Yeah, sorry, I hoped the smug dog would show I was joking. People kept (and will continue to at FNMs everywhere, I'm sure) suggesting things that protection prevents.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

I saw it pointed out that with Hushbringer out Haktos never chooses a number and as such has protection from everything, does it actually work that way?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It is both a cool way to do a top down Achilles and also a bad card.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LupusAter posted:

I saw it pointed out that with Hushbringer out Haktos never chooses a number and as such has protection from everything, does it actually work that way?

"AS [blank] enters the battlefield" is not a trigger. I'm not precisely sure what it is (replacement effect? something else??) but it's not a trigger, or every 0/0 that comes with counters would die before it got them.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LupusAter posted:

Edit: Oh, as it enters is different from when it enters, yeah.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Haktos with Lazav.... oh yeah that’s the stuff

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Achilles seems like a good card to me. A nigh-unkillable curve topper in an aggro deck doesn't seem like an immediate write-off, although these things are always contextual, obvs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/elishffrn/status/1213148285415804929?s=21

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don't think it's hard to have either a removal spell or a blocker on one of the chosen numbers. If my calculations are correct, the odds are somewhere around 74.83%

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Kurtofan posted:

Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea

Enchantment Creature Demigod

Callaphe's power is equal to your devotion to blue.

Creatures and enchantments you control have "spells your opponent control that target this permanent cost 1 more to cast"

Nice to see blue picking up tax effects

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Haktos would be really bad if people played Paradise Druid, Lovestruck Beast, and Questing Beast in the same deck.

Good thing that could never happen.

Edit: Or Brineborn Cutthroat, Bonecrusher Giant, and Ral's Outburst in the same deck. But what are the odds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Protection isn't even invincibility!