Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lol Canada is not going to get into a conflict with Iran don't be a doofus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see some war toxxing

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No, no, this Middle East war will be the good one!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

we are a cowardly country i will :toxx: :10bux: to a middle eastern women's charity that we wont go to war with iran within the next 2 months. hold me to this helsing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Suplex Liberace posted:

we are a cowardly country i will :toxx: :10bux: to a middle eastern women's charity that we wont go to war with iran within the next 2 months. hold me to this helsing

:same:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Reminder that this is the parody account:
https://twitter.com/ABWarRoom/status/1213168890026561540

With our minority government in Ottawa I can't see us committing to another misadventure in the Middle East. We'll help out with peacekeeping, logistics and medical care with UN sanction, but not anything more.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The maximum, MAXIMUM that we would do would be offering special forces support.

We wouldn't even do our standard "send hornets to drop bombs on poo poo" because we don't send planes into non-permissive environments.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

If Article 5 is invoked after an Iranian attack on US forces/interests, would holding back to that extent still be permissible? My worry is that this really is a specific effort to start a war in Iran and that Trump will attempt to conscript NATO into this shitshow by goading a "first strike" from Iran.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lassitude posted:

If Article 5 is invoked after an Iranian attack on US forces/interests, would holding back to that extent still be permissible? My worry is that this really is a specific effort to start a war in Iran and that Trump will attempt to conscript NATO into this shitshow by goading a "first strike" from Iran.

Pretty sure Article 5 only applies to attacks on Europe or the Continental US.

Blowing up US assets in the Middle East doesn't count.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Right on, that's good to know. At least we can only be dragged into this by our own stupidity.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
We've got a few hundred troops in Iraq already as part of the global anti-ISIS coalition. My worry is in the immediate aftermath, whether Iranian retaliation would discriminate against U.S. troops vs. allied troops. It's definitely even more dangerous than it was.

All of the statements I've seen from government officials commenting on this take a cautious approach that neither supports nor condemns the airstrike and also mentions their commitment to a "stable Iraq."

Did we ever reopen diplomatic ties with Tehran after Harper closed the embassy and kicked all of their diplomats out back in 2012?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Leofish posted:

Did we ever reopen diplomatic ties with Tehran after Harper closed the embassy and kicked all of their diplomats out back in 2012?

No, Trudeau really is the best Conservative PM we have ever had.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Good save, Jagmeet.

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1213231046570983425

Crow Buddy posted:

Erin O'Toole's out here, calling for a terrorist designation for the IRGC.

https://twitter.com/journo_dale/status/1213228484362829830

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Crow Buddy posted:

You're not wrong but people are going to think you're an Ikantski alt

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I really hope we sit this war out.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Leofish posted:

We've got a few hundred troops in Iraq already as part of the global anti-ISIS coalition. My worry is in the immediate aftermath, whether Iranian retaliation would discriminate against U.S. troops vs. allied troops. It's definitely even more dangerous than it was.

For the same reason I don't think they'll bring Israel into this, I think they'll show restraint in terms of collateral damage. Right now they're the victim. If they murder some Canadian soldiers, that'd play really well for America, especially given the misconception other nations have about us as a culture.

Anyway, at least Singh's response was decent. I am guessing the CPC will be all-in on this like they were about the 2003 Iraq War if it comes to that.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 4, 2020

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Lassitude posted:

For the same reason I don't think they'll bring Israel into this, I think they'll show restraint in terms of collateral damage. Right now they're the victim. If they murder some Canadian soldiers, that'd play really well for America, especially given the misconception other nations have about us as a culture.

Anyway, at least Singh's response was decent. I am guessing the CPC will be all-in on this like they were about the 2003 Iraq War if it comes to that.

Israel is likely to bring itself into this. Netanyahu was quite happy with the U.S. this morning.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lars Blitzer posted:

Reminder that this is the parody account:

Are you sure about that?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Scheer losing to this is somehow both hilarious and terrifying.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Thanks Trudeau

https://twitter.com/VentureDH/status/1213232860322320386

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Here's your risk-taking Canadian entrepreneurship, Kraftwerk.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

We have clearly established that we just copy the Americans with a 5 year time lag, so this is solidly on Obama.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Is Michael Cooper going to lose his seat to a used sex doll come the next election?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hexigrammus posted:

Is Michael Cooper going to lose his seat to a used sex doll's come the next election?

Fixed.

Seriously though, some things you just don't rent, jesus loving christ.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Oh look at the big baby who doesn't know that industrial sized barrels of bleach and power washers both exist.

Prude.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's distasteful, but preferable to trafficked women, assuming this would in some way put a dent in the sex trade.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

infernal machines posted:

You're not wrong but people are going to think you're an Ikantski alt

Think we are all CI, soz

It was the most accurate thing said in this thread and it came from our troll.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It's distasteful, but preferable to trafficked women, assuming this would in some way put a dent in the sex trade.

There was an article written a few years ago that showed crimes like human trafficking, rape, battery/spousal abuse, and reports of missing women go up as you get closer to oil/mining camps. The general conclusion was that they are all almost entirely staffed by men operating in an extremely toxic and isolated culture and security is typically hired goons willing to look the other way in order to not hamper the job site. It was depressing as all hell but quite the eye opener since its not normally something you would think about . Also one more reason to shut down the oil sands.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

You know prostitution exists, right?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It should also be legalized and sex workers unionized. :colbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

It should also be legalized and sex workers unionized. :colbert:

Absolutely.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 4, 2020

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

According to the company’s website, companionship with the dolls starts at $149 an hour, a $180 “special” for three hours, or $249 for the night.

Each reservation requires a $100 fully-refundable security deposit and, for an additional $25, you can “keep her panties sprayed with love juice.”
Yikes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Decriminalize it, tbh.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

There was an article written a few years ago that showed crimes like human trafficking, rape, battery/spousal abuse, and reports of missing women go up as you get closer to oil/mining camps. The general conclusion was that they are all almost entirely staffed by men operating in an extremely toxic and isolated culture and security is typically hired goons willing to look the other way in order to not hamper the job site. It was depressing as all hell but quite the eye opener since its not normally something you would think about . Also one more reason to shut down the oil sands.

I lived in the camps for a bit during the fires that burned down Fort McMurray, and one of the things that rubbed me the wrong way was that at least one camp had a rule where women weren't allowed to have exposed shoulders. Some girls I met working for another company got talked to about that when they were using the fitness facilities, which seemed really hosed up to me. It's just expected that rig workers get all rapey when they see some exposed skin, so cover up ladies!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Coxswain Balls posted:

I lived in the camps for a bit during the fires that burned down Fort McMurray, and one of the things that rubbed me the wrong way was that at least one camp had a rule where women weren't allowed to have exposed shoulders. Some girls I met working for another company got talked to about that when they were using the fitness facilities, which seemed really hosed up to me. It's just expected that rig workers get all rapey when they see some exposed skin, so cover up ladies!

Jesus christ. I wonder what percentage of the people in that camp think that Canada has zones of sharia law

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I do, and further I realize that prostitutes, like all human beings, are capable of cleaning themselves and insisting on safe sex, instead of being a literal jizz receptacle.

Further, prostitution should be legalized and unionized.

Furnaceface posted:

A huge part of it comes from the bizarre idea that men somehow need sex when they get horny and it's unavoidable that this poo poo will occur. Just have a wank for gently caress sake. And if you want to use a sex doll in the process at least use your own.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's part of this really weird pseudo-infantilization where men are beasts with urges who can't help themselves.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Clearly the solution for this is to convince the rigpigs that it's OK for them to gently caress each other.

Maybe love can blossom on the oilfield.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Blue collar work culture can be toxic as poo poo, and isolated 95% male camps are the worst.

I briefly worked at a large landscaping company in Calgary and never really got over how basically any time a good looking girl walked by the site someone inevitably would direct everyone's attention to them, talk about how hot they are, and how much they wanted to gently caress them, or some combination of the three. And it wasn't like, one guy doing this, it was like a worksite expectation.

Who am I gonna complain to? The company owner who rolled up and told us that we were "working like a bunch of coloured people"[sic]?

Men are a problem and these industries can get super gross.

I've got a women friend who does engineering shift work in northern Alberta in a 95% male site and honestly she really likes it because she hates desk jobs and it's not that. But she's also told me having to navigate the mental dichotomy of feeling like a "bad feminist" for knowing that the second she steps on a work site, she's going to be dealing with people talking about how she looks and making crude jokes to her, and ultimately being OK with it. Because the alternative of not being OK with it is getting angry at it/hoping for it to change, which she personally found unrealistic and out of her control and found better for her mental health just to let go.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, you want a depressing article on the links between resource extraction/pipelines and violence against women and indigenous peoples? Here you go: https://newrepublic.com/article/155367/connection-pipelines-sexual-violence