Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Virigoth posted:

We had a ticket based system at an old company that did this for the bar. The problem was they bought tickets from the local craft store in a roll and didn’t check numbers. Once we figured that out we found an HR snitch to let us know the roll color every year so we could game the system.

At my company, between the non-drinkers and the ladies who admin the drink tickets at events both knowing us and, uh, how IT guys in general operate, we get all the extra drink tickets we can handle. I was turning down tickets at the Christmas party, because I needed to drive home at some point. Sometimes it's handy to be known and needed by everyone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Shortest gig I've had that wasn't "side hustle" or whatever we wanna call it was about a year. It should have been way less but apparently I like to watch myself suffer.

Same. I guess I’ve been pretty lucky to have no true horror shows I just had to bounce on *immediately*. I lasted a year as the sole admin for a small software dev shop. The owner was a micromanaging rear end in a top hat who demanded the uptime of Google on the budget of, well, a small dev shop. I was on call 24/7 and always having to drop what I was doing to go fix issues stemming from the ultra-cheap infrastructure full of single points of failure I wasn’t allowed to improve. After I spent thanksgiving AND Christmas fixing production outages I started looking and eventually landed a way better job with a former coworker at his new spot.

Today I would absolutely nope the gently caress out of a job like that within a week. But I was young and inexperienced and didn’t know better. And it was a huge pay raise over my last gig which helped me look the other way longer than I should have.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Hughmoris posted:

What's the shortest amount of time you've stayed at a new job? Asking for a friend...

Two months. Short enough that I don't really even keep it on my resume.

Hughmoris posted:

Been here 4 days. Everyone is nice but the onboarding is non-existent. Its turning in to one of those feelings where you say "taking this job was a mistake...".

I'm currently in my 4th week of a new job, and while the onboarding (getting computer, getting systems access, etc) was smooth. I've basically been sitting on my hands with nothing to do after the initial company training, and next week appears to be more of the same. This is the second time I've started at a new company in December and I've come to realize that you can just expect things to not go as smoothly or quickly as other times of the year just due to a large number of people being away and just general "we don't do anything during the holidays".

I'd do what others suggest and find someone senior, or just go to your boss, and ask what's up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheFace posted:

Two months. Short enough that I don't really even keep it on my resume.

I'm currently in my 4th week of a new job, and while the onboarding (getting computer, getting systems access, etc) was smooth. I've basically been sitting on my hands with nothing to do after the initial company training, and next week appears to be more of the same. This is the second time I've started at a new company in December and I've come to realize that you can just expect things to not go as smoothly or quickly as other times of the year just due to a large number of people being away and just general "we don't do anything during the holidays".

I'd do what others suggest and find someone senior, or just go to your boss, and ask what's up.

I know that some people don't like having anything to do, but for the rest of you, just being in email communication with folks while you nothing to do is totally fine. Enjoy your time, relax, and things will come. I feel like things being slow is a GREAT sign for a company sometimes.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Bad onboarding experiences are extremely bad and I'm sorry to hear that you're having one.

I don't know what's making it bad for you, but here's things I wish I did during a bad onboarding:

1) Don't take no for an answer when asking for help
2) Don't take no for an answer when asking for direction or clarification
3) Tell whoever you need to as many times as you need to for clear instructions and work to be doing. Repeat 4 times a day if necessary.

Its in everybody's best interest that you become a functioning, productive employee. Don't let anybody get in your way of becoming familiar, self-sufficient, and comfortable.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 3, 2020

J
Jun 10, 2001

Onboarding is all over the place here. We have some managers who are great at providing advance notice that they have a new hire coming in and what their requirements are. Those hires are onboarded very smoothly. We have other managers who say "Hey Bob started yesterday and the desk we set up in the middle of nowhere has no equipment why is he not setup yet???" Of course they never bothered to tell anyone about Bob before that moment. Those hires probably think we're the shittiest company ever. You're probably wondering why HR isn't providing notice of incoming hires. I gave up trying to figure out the answer to that a long time ago. Management doesn't seem to care about some hires having a lovely onboarding process so I stopped caring.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Onboarding finally evened out here about a year ago. Two years ago we set up a new HR system, and it took a full year of me repeating "Have they been onboarded in $HRSystem?" multiple times for every new hire before the various managers all got the hint.

It helped a lot that my management had my back and I was allowed to withhold all IT equipment until the employee was onboarded correctly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Since we got a new HR person who actually gives a poo poo about doing their job, our onboarding has greatly improved. Our incidence of "Bob started this morning and needs a computer" has dropped precipitously.

When I was on desktop, I had developed relationships with the managers doing hiring, and they would sidestep HR so that I'd have workstations imaged & ready to go when the inevitable last-minute paperwork came through.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The onboarding at my public sector agency was stellar, incredibly thorough, organized, by far the best I've ever had. They went out of their way to provide everything off the bat.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

What's the shortest amount of time you've stayed at a new job? Asking for a friend...

Two and a half days.

Early early early in my career I was hired as a junior sysadmin by the senior guy who was the sole IT guy and who promised me the world in terms of training and resources. Turns out he was hiring his replacement at a third of his salary.

I found this out on my second day when the senior guy started passing me his notes and started the knowledge transfer process. Budget? Zero. Training? Zero. Mentorship? Zero.

I went into day three of this gig with a feeling like I just stepped in dog poo poo, realized that this feeling was not at all the “excited new guy” feeling I was expecting, and quit by lunchtime.

Edit: ironically, this duration ties for the shortest job I’ve ever had with when I was a door to door salesman selling vibrating massage pillows and cheap men’s ties.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 3, 2020

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When I worked at $AWFUL_JOB, a company of maybe 6 people, I'd know when they hired someone because I'd come back from a vacation day and my laptop and monitors would be gone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Throwing a question out there, how much of a premium would it take for you to walk away from a permanent position you are happy with into a contract to hire situation? Am I crazy to consider it for ~30%?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Throwing a question out there, how much of a premium would it take for you to walk away from a permanent position you are happy with into a contract to hire situation? Am I crazy to consider it for ~30%?

Depends on your savings and if you have a family.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'd have to double my current salary for it to worthwhile to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Is the person hiring you a contract employee? No? Then no thanks.

I wouldn't take a contact job unless I was beyond desperate.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I wouldn't leave my current job for any C2H gig at all, but that's just my particular circumstances.

I basically forced my best friend to take a C2H gig when we worked together, but that was a 50% pay bump, and he was in a position where they can easily live off just his wife's income if needed. It worked out for him, he converted after 14 months and is very happy. It was a good org though.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Throwing a question out there, how much of a premium would it take for you to walk away from a permanent position you are happy with into a contract to hire situation?

I turned down contract work for 125k per 6 month contract.

So probably infinite.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I wouldn't leave my current job for any C2H gig at all, but that's just my particular circumstances.

I basically forced my best friend to take a C2H gig when we worked together, but that was a 50% pay bump, and he was in a position where they can easily live off just his wife's income if needed. It worked out for him, he converted after 14 months and is very happy. It was a good org though.

Only 14 months to convert huh? It should not take 14 months for an org to figure out if they want you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My current place was a C2H, they said it would be 3 months, got converted after 2, they bought out the contract and wanted me on staff.

Experiences with C2H will be all over the place, if you're going through a recruiter see if they have other placements that have converted and how long it took etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I would never ever ever do that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at local government, and a lot of it has been C2H. Or just contract. Contract employment makes you an internal hire, though, which opens up a ton more jobs for me. So, I would say it depends upon the context.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I wouldn't do C2H but I've done plenty of contracts not expecting/wanting to convert full time. 30% would only make sense if you have a spouse working to handle benefits, otherwise it would have to be a much larger %

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No amount of money, got burned once by a contract to hire position and I'll never let that happen again. 3 months and 5 days into a contract to hire position where my recruiter was sure my full time offer was coming any day now after what was supposed to be a straight 3 month to hire spot, they fired me without even letting my recruiter know(she probably knew, gently caress Robert Half as well).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The company I contracted through also gave me like 15% more on-top of salary for health benefits, the contracting companies benefits sucked (and my wifes did as well),for the 2 months I took them, but I don't have children and I'm a fairly healthy adult so wasn't much of a risk imo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Robert Half is terrible

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Robert Half is terrible

They are the worst. WAY back in the day that was also when I realized that "The Motley Fool" stock picking people had jumped the shark. RH was one of their best buys.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Robert Half is terrible

Long ago, when I had zero work experience in IT, I gave my resume to one of their recruiters. And they got me an interview with Compaq. The recruiter was a bit vague about what position it was for, but it sounded like help desk. I go in to interview and start getting asked coding questions about Java. My resume had that I had some very basic C but I didn't list any Java experience at all, so I'm a bit confused. Eventually I stop the interview and the interviewer and I figure out what's going on. When we compared my resume I had brought, with the one Robert Half had given him, there were some major discrepancies. The Robert Half version had me knowing a dozen programing languages. I mean sure, I'll fudge the truth a bit on a resume or shoot for positions that I'm not quite at the qualifications for but this was way beyond that. The interviewer did offer to pass my actual resume onto their helpdesk people which was nice of him all things considered.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They are the worst. WAY back in the day that was also when I realized that "The Motley Fool" stock picking people had jumped the shark. RH was one of their best buys.

I mean quality of life working for a company and/or company morals don't translate into quarterly reports. They burn and churn recruiters and contractors for the minimum pay possible while milking companies for the maximum possible, I wouldn't be surprised if they are making money hand over fist.

E: I thought I would never go to contract from permanent, but working at a really lovely call center changed that. I ended up moving for an extra 30%, which still ended up with me slightly ahead even after how lovely the benefits are, and given that for some reason in this market you never take a pay cut when converting (a lot of the time you actually end up higher before benefits :shrug:) I'll be sitting very pretty if this converts. Much less stressful job, too. It was a close thing, though. I wasn't even sure I would take it until one of my understaffed team got fired the day I got the offer. Negotiated an extra 6%, took the offer.

Downside, I've been there almost two months and it's almost time to tell my manager that I'm going to start looking for a new position until I get a signed offer letter for permanent conversion. My second IT job I was told the position was going to convert right up until the beginning of the week that the contract ended. Ever since then I start job hunting 2 months before the contract ends. This is a four month contract, so time to start looking next week. Bright side is that if this does convert I get on better health insurance faster and start getting PTO and paid holidays, just in time for there not to be any holidays for months :v:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 3, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sickening posted:

Only 14 months to convert huh? It should not take 14 months for an org to figure out if they want you.

Heh. Should I mention that I’ll have been contract with the current company for 3 years in April?
Yeah, I’m lazy, and the job is good. I get benefits from the contracting company, so not the worst.
My manager wants to hire me, but the VP IT and CIO are... weird about conversions for some reason. The rest of the company does 90-day C2H all the time, and actually hires most of them, but they’re not IT. It’s frustrating for me and my manager.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MF_James posted:

My current place was a C2H, they said it would be 3 months, got converted after 2, they bought out the contract and wanted me on staff.

Experiences with C2H will be all over the place, if you're going through a recruiter see if they have other placements that have converted and how long it took etc.

My last job was C2H, they said it was usually 3 months but I was there for almost 3 years until I got let go. Barely got a raise, too. My boss did have some sympathy and would often give me comp days for nothing or have my pick of PTO whenever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Robert Half is terrible

I've heard this many many many times, but weirdly I've always had extremely good experiences with them, as have a large number of my friends. That said, we've all worked with the same recruiter within RH, and he has since left RH and started his own recruiting company. Maybe it's more of who you work with there.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Our entire onboarding process for IT is automated. Scripts provision users in AD based on data pulled from an HR system. Then most of our apps use Okta for auth so that’s easy. Everything else is handled by scripts that automatically provision accounts based on specific AD groups. The only thing our help desk needs to do is hand the user their laptop and their initial AD password. Once the user logs in they’ll have email from our snappass server with their passwords to non-Okta apps. It’s pretty fantastic.

One of my projects this year is to integrate our password reset process into Slack so it’s self-service which will make everything even more automated.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Our entire onboarding process for IT is automated. Scripts provision users in AD based on data pulled from an HR system. Then most of our apps use Okta for auth so that’s easy. Everything else is handled by scripts that automatically provision accounts based on specific AD groups. The only thing our help desk needs to do is hand the user their laptop and their initial AD password. Once the user logs in they’ll have email from our snappass server with their passwords to non-Okta apps. It’s pretty fantastic.

One of my projects this year is to integrate our password reset process into Slack so it’s self-service which will make everything even more automated.

Onboarding isn't just IT 'do you have a laptop'.

Its integration with your team, being introduced to the environment, and being given meaningful work and being set up for success.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Methanar posted:

Onboarding isn't just IT 'do you have a laptop'.

Its integration with your team, being introduced to the environment, and being given meaningful work and being set up for success.

Well yeah no poo poo, but so many places fail at the part I outlined. I once sat at a desk for 2 months with no laptop and no access to anything and basically got paid to play on my phone because the onboarding was so broken.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The biggest issue for me is that nobody enforces minimum notice times for new hires and hardware procurement takes forever here. But I'm also in the midst of applying for an engineering position which would mean it's not my problem anymore. (Well, it would become my problem to fix from above but I wouldn't be the one the user is mad at.)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
On what now? Never heard of it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ratbert90 posted:

On what now? Never heard of it.

Onboarding. It's like waterboarding except you are the one asking the questions.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's always nice at the beginning of a new year to reflect on the year previous. Here are my end of year stats for 2019, feel free to post your own:

Emails left in inbox and moved to a 2019 folder: 2,831 (does not include emails that have rules defined to filter to specific places)
Unread 2019 emails that will never be read or thought about again: 305
My commits merged to master for the top 10 repos I work on: 557
Bugs introduced as a result of those commits: -2,147,483,648
Days of business travel: 28
Days of vacation taken: 32
EVPs outlasted: 1
Weddings: 1
Bad posts: n+1

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

skipdogg posted:

My perspective might be off since I got my current job from a C2H switch, the pay bump (40% then) alongside a cost of living decrease, then a quick conversion meant that all turned out well. But then again, the company I left back then sucked and I was looking for a way out. This one fell in my lap when I wasn't looking, I'd be leaving an org I like being in for an unknown.

There wouldn't be any financial pressure if it went sideways, and if it pans out it is the direction I want to take my career. It would effectively shortcut the promotion I'm aiming for a couple years, and the common wisdom is that moving companies results in more of a bump than an internal change in role.

It's probably worth holding out for a direct hire offer, or just sticking around. Thanks for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Update to last dire post: I’ve been moved to the company NOC on a permanent basis. I think management was understanding I getting close to being done and moving on.

No more helldesk.

The real hint that’s it’s perm is I’m working dayside.

This will be interesting first time it will be my job to ssh into switches and really work at this level. Great start to the year.