Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
can the CAD mockthreads take credit for elevating loss.jpg into a meme or would that have happened regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pentaro posted:

Oh! I remember Chuck Norris facts started as Vin Diesel facts and had more of an absurdist flavor to them, like poo poo about how the moon is actually one of his eyes because he lost a bet or something. Then the focus became "Generic unbeatable guy", which is way more boring but that was the direction the winds of the Internet were taking, so :shrug:

The Vin Diesel facts were better, hands down, and my favorite Vin Diesel fact is that his name is an anagram for I END LIVES

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phy posted:

The Vin Diesel facts were better, hands down, and my favorite Vin Diesel fact is that his name is an anagram for I END LIVES

Also, Vin Diesel is a cool dude who plays D&D while Chuck Norris is a chud.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Phy posted:

There was one I remember about him needing to be careful about how he blinks his eyes otherwise he’d cast a sixth level fireball spell or something. To teenage me that was pretty much the height of comedy.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Dewgy posted:

There was one I remember about him needing to be careful about how he blinks his eyes otherwise he’d cast a sixth level fireball spell or something. To teenage me that was pretty much the height of comedy.

when vin diesel jumps into a pool, he doesn't get wet. the water gets vinned.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, Vin Diesel is a cool dude who plays D&D while Chuck Norris is a chud.

That's my favorite fact about Vin Diesel, not my favorite Vin Diesel Fact, if you get my meaning

I just wish he and The Rock got along better. Just be friends, you giant muscle baldies

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

teen witch posted:

Jerry Cotton is spot on - FinnPol thread has some nazi issues on occasion and it’s literally all I know of that thread. ScandiPol has enough to shout them out if they leak but holy moly multilingual IKs seems like a no brainer.

I'll bite. Who's the nazis in the Scandipol thread? Except Ligur, but he was ran out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mordekai posted:

I'll bite. Who's the nazis in the Scandipol thread? Except Ligur, but he was ran out.

Oh no it was mostly Ligur and one rando, Scandipol is pretty good at getting rid of them. Finnpol is the one being mentioned with that, but it’s second hand knowledge.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's called Paranormal Home Inspectors and it is the greatest show ever made. Sadly it's hard to find since it left Hulu.

In one episode, they ignore an active carbon monoxide leak in favor of sending the drunk lady through the house to talk about auras again.

it's on amazon prime and it looks like most of the first season is free on youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Dso2m-zU4

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't know how known it was off SA besides by the people being laughed at, but the thread about the crazy micronation cyborg furries was a good one.

It was crazy popular on places like Reddit before it was cross-posted here. There's this weird echo chamber effect on SA where since most of its posters don't actually interact with the web at large anywhere else they think everything was invented on SA just because it's the first place they were exposed to it. See also thinking we invented/popularized the :imunfunny: face and :feelsgood:.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

can the CAD mockthreads take credit for elevating loss.jpg into a meme or would that have happened regardless

Same here.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a reason :awesome: isn't the :imunfunny: face. That's the only time I can remember a mod action to change the name of a smilie. Made for some very funny posts where people using that dumb loving face were suddenly boner appraisers.

Reminds me of a related one: there was a guy in SAMart for a while who was selling pins of SA smilies (absent of any consent from anyone, of course) and he got very, very upset when those smilies got renamed and claimed it was damaging his business. I can't remember the user (he had the cat on a beach rolling a watermelon around as his av, but I think several people have had that) but his meltdown was hilarious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it's on amazon prime and it looks like most of the first season is free on youtube?

Oh my god yes.

Everyone, you need to watch as much of this as you can.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i thought u died fau

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

he got better

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

It was crazy popular on places like Reddit before it was cross-posted here. There's this weird echo chamber effect on SA where since most of its posters don't actually interact with the web at large anywhere else they think everything was invented on SA just because it's the first place they were exposed to it. See also thinking we invented/popularized the :imunfunny: face and :feelsgood:.

Same here.
I couldn't for the life of me remember that it was called :imunfunny: when I was trying to remember it for my earlier post, thanks!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

It's also on tubi tv. It's free and I binged this with my roommate last night. It is a magical experience.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ArfJason posted:

i thought u died fau

They were only slightly dead

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

I couldn't for the life of me remember that it was called :imunfunny: when I was trying to remember it for my earlier post, thanks!

thats cause it was called :awesome: and then :iamafag: and the opposite direction one is :razz:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A good saga is the way phrases and smilies get ground into dust.

5 golden manbabies goon sire did u get head, kill it with fire

Ninja prankapple awesome

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I for one welcome our new comedy police overlords :imunfunny:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Aluminum Sky, right? I don't know who put in all the work to compile that, but bless them.

There was also In Golden Waters, which was the same thing for the libertarian seasteading nonsense, but it wasn't as good, possibly because the premise they were mocking wasn't as absurd on its face.

That's correct. There were a few different compilations of both stories made, and I think I have all of them. DM me later if you want links, since my office blocks Dropbox.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ArfJason posted:

thats cause it was called :awesome: and then :iamafag: and the opposite direction one is :razz:

when did it get changed again? it’s a good change but i never realized it was made

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

watho posted:

when did it get changed again? it’s a good change but i never realized it was made

after fyad got closed there was a thread about changing smiley names so i assume that. around uhhh 3 weeks ago?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh my god yes.

Everyone, you need to watch as much of this as you can.

"There are raccoons making GBS threads and loving in the attic and I see feces"

"Nah dont believe him"

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

ArfJason posted:

after fyad got closed there was a thread about changing smiley names so i assume that. around uhhh 3 weeks ago?

I'm pretty sure it was before that. The only one I remember getting changed then is :bigdog:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Sleeveless posted:

Same here.

there's also the very old and time-honored tradition of getting mad about some thing some goons do, and attributing it to all goons

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ArfJason posted:

It was changed waaaaaay before that. A few years, I’m pretty sure.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How many admins have been permabanned?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Wes Warhammer posted:

I'm pretty sure it was before that. The only one I remember getting changed then is :bigdog:

This one is perplexing

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Rly? I could swear it was :iamafag: until very recently. Oh well cant say ive been using it a lot since :razz: exists so i might be wrong lol

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ArfJason posted:

Rly? I could swear it was :iamafag: until very recently. Oh well cant say ive been using it a lot since :razz: exists so i might be wrong lol

'very recently' in sa terms could still be a few years

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
: awesome : used to be a bunch of other things before the nerd boner thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure nerd boner used to be a different smiley altogether.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Paladinus posted:

: awesome : used to be a bunch of other things before the nerd boner thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure nerd boner used to be a different smiley altogether.

It was. They got switched because loving everybody was using :imunfunny: like a punctuation mark for every awful attempt at a joke and it made the forums super tedious to read.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Heath posted:

It was. They got switched because loving everybody was using :imunfunny: like a punctuation mark for every awful attempt at a joke and it made the forums super tedious to read.

I just use it as a companion to cattut :ironicat:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Heath posted:

remember when it was :smug: too lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heath posted:

how dumb

you're supposed to use :v: for that

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
:v: is less grating than :imunfunny: but maybe that's just because I have a visceral negative reaction to the latter even though it's been out of fashion for like 8 years

That's the power of emotes!!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I still remember the it is a mystery ghost it used to be evvvverryywhherreee

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i was glad to see :hellyeah: was still around when i came back but also flooded with memories of getting horribly owned by people who were good with the shock rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wes Warhammer posted:

Someone (FAU?) also changed :biglips: because the original text was Trans/Homophobic, iirc.