Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Radioactive Toy posted:

What are some opinions on New Frontiers? I love both Race and Roll for the Galaxy, though I don't get them to the table as much as I would like these days.

I bought and played New Frontiers once and the next day sold my copy of Roll for the Galaxy to a friend because I liked it so much better. I much prefer the action selection mechanic in New Frontiers to the dice manipulation of Roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Is there such a thing as interactive tutorials for board games? I feel like really big beefy games would be heaps easier to learn if there was an interactive tutorial (like in a videogame) that shows you what you can and cannot do, whilst letting you sort of play through it. I picked up 7 Wonders Duel and made so many mistakes that lost myself (or my opponent) the game, as I either misinterpreted the rules or outright forgot them - and this is a diddly game in the grand scheme of things! This can obviously be fixed by reading the rulebook properly, but sometimes it's hard to keep that much information fresh in your head without making a few mistakes.

The other way is to play and constantly reference the rulebook, but this slows your first game down to the point where it can be a little unfun, especially if you're trying to hook your girlfriend into it. There have been some close calls where she doesn't want to play a game again because the first game was so slow, but then we give it another shot and have a blast. I've been playing the beefy games slowly against the Automa opponent first, so when I introduce new people to it, I can sort of explain it all simply without needing to go back to the rulebook. I've also purchased the videogame version of Scythe, so I'm hoping that'll help cement the rules in my head a little more. Then there's the other option of sitting through hours of playthroughs on youtube at 2x speed until everything sort of sticks. Which is alright, but time consuming. It's how I learnt Gaia Project and made it a much smoother transition into the first game.

I think one of the best examples of this is Earth Reborn. To learn the game, you play through 9 scenarios in order (each with its own bit of narrative flavor and preset map layout) and each one adds another layer of mechanics so that once you've finished them all, you've learned the whole ruleset and can then play the full-blown game which incorporates everything, has randomized maps (you and your opponent take turns placing tiles to build the board) and is highly replayable on its own.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 3, 2020

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Bottom Liner posted:

New Frontiers - Played 3x

I was skeptical that we needed Race for the Puerto Rico, but after playing it I was sold. It's 95% the same game and took us 5 minutes to learn fresh, but I really like the way they reimplemented it. Having the development tiles static and limited by player count makes your strategic choices more important and relies less on digging through a shared set of planets and techs. The planets in the bag are still randomly drawn, but each explore phase takes 7 and is drafted, and there aren't a ton of them in the bag so you can generally go for what you need. It plays super quick, about 15 mins/player. It's a stripped down Race if you are used to expansions (though it does include optional goal tiles), but it feels tight and tuned and I really enjoyed it. The resources are also hilariously overproduced and fun to play with. For $55 it is probably the most complete and cleanest RftG experience. Only criticism I have is that the new colonists resource for settling/endgame trigger feel superfluous, we never saw anyone struggling to have them at all. The box is also stupidly oversized, like AFfO thick and maybe 14"x14". I threw it out as well and put the game in the Concordia base box since I have it all in the Salsa box.

Rad Valtar posted:

I bought and played New Frontiers once and the next day sold my copy of Roll for the Galaxy to a friend because I liked it so much better. I much prefer the action selection mechanic in New Frontiers to the dice manipulation of Roll.

Thanks for these. I might have to check it out, especially if there's an expansion that adds a bit more to the game coming soon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Radioactive Toy posted:

Thanks for these. I might have to check it out, especially if there's an expansion that adds a bit more to the game coming soon.

Tom said at Gencon it should be out at the beginning of the year and that he was already working on the second as well. His other new game Dice Realms should also be hitting soon and it's going to be a bit of madness.

quote:

In Dice Realms players vie to improve and expand their realms, represented by customizable dice with faces that can be popped out and upgraded for better ones.

Each game is different, as players draw 5 tiles (from a bag of 35) to determine the extra die faces available in addition to the 5 standard lines of faces: victory, farming, commerce, defense, and upgrades.

Play is simultaneous. Players must manage their food, coins, improvements, and defenses against Robbers, Winter, and other events on the Fate Die rolled every round, affecting all players. Each players begins with two identical dice and can expand to gain more dice. However, not having enough food on hand (one per die) when Winter is rolled results in negative points. Players may reroll one die for free each turn and can invest in reroll and set tokens for further control.

The goal is to have the most VPs at game end, both in VPs chips and improved die faces.

With 18 dice, more than 650 plastic die faces in 72 types, 3 custom trays to hold them, tiles, grain pieces, VP chips, and more, Dice Realms offers a lot of variety and replayability.

people are going to learn what fiddly is :getin:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

Tom said at Gencon it should be out at the beginning of the year and that he was already working on the second as well. His other new game Dice Realms should also be hitting soon and it's going to be a bit of madness.

I had completely forgot that an expansion was coming. I’m always happy when a good game just gets more stuff instead of a bunch of new rules. Are you going to have enough room without the box now?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Man, I miss Quarriors.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Got my shipping notification for Living Planet finally. :gritin:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Deathlove posted:

Man, I miss Quarriors.

Uh....really? It wasn't a super great game if I'm recalling correctly...and it's been completely re-implemented by the original designers as Dice Masters if you want to go and scratch that itch with kitschy-nerd-culture-brand-29 themed dice. A starter set is like ten bucks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I really don't miss Quarriors at all.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does anyone have recommendations for family-friendly escape room games? We tried one of the Exit games, and accidentally got a higher difficulty ones. I think we got Forbidden Castle. It was ok, but we started too late at night I think, and the kids lost interest pretty quickly.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

Uh....really? It wasn't a super great game if I'm recalling correctly...and it's been completely re-implemented by the original designers as Dice Masters if you want to go and scratch that itch with kitschy-nerd-culture-brand-29 themed dice. A starter set is like ten bucks.

no, not really, I definitely liked the concept of A TON OF DICE more than the execution.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Funzo posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for family-friendly escape room games? We tried one of the Exit games, and accidentally got a higher difficulty ones. I think we got Forbidden Castle. It was ok, but we started too late at night I think, and the kids lost interest pretty quickly.

I've recently done "Unlock: Insert Coin" and "Exit: Haunted Roller Coaster" with my kids (9 and 11). Both games were too easy for an adult who has done puzzles before, but worked for this setup (adult + 2 kids).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Man, I miss Quarriors.

It’s getting the Qultimate Quidition soon :v:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s getting the Qultimate Quidition soon :v:

It's been out for awhile. I was tempted to get it, since Quarriors was one of my first 'designer' boardgames. As is, I just have the base game that came in the cardboard box, not the awful tin one.

https://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/quarriorqultimatequedition

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SoftNum posted:

I've played JumpDrive and for the life of me IDK why you wouldn't just play race.

That is what I told my friend except I said San Juan. (Race is almost certainly better but I don't play it often enough to overcome the iconography.)

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Funzo posted:

Escape the Room: Mystery at Stargazers Manor has some fun tactile puzzles and was a pretty easy experience for our group that plays a good amount of escape room games. It doesn’t have anything that goes outside of what are kind of standard “puzzle vocabulary” style things like the Exit games do, so if innovation is important this is not as great a choice, but it was worth the $20 for our group.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just got Living Planet. Wooden pieces are a bit small but everything else looks nice. Looking forward to tucking into it w/the boys later this weekend.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Funzo posted:

Another suggestion that might make sense is one of the Ravensburger "Escape Puzzles". They're jigsaw puzzles. At the end, there's some differences between the puzzle and the box image. Those differences prompt some puzzles/riddles, which added together prompt a final puzzle.

No single part of that is great - but altogether it works out pretty good. We ran one over Christmas when we had a bunch of family in one place, and a variety of people got involved in one part or another. Overall it was a hit.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I've played Caylus and tried Calyus 1303 at PAX. The variable player powers isn't an issue, but getting more player powers using favor isn't as good as the old favor track. But the classic interaction with player buildings, the provost, and worker placement is still there. I wish they kept the old way for determining player order. But it still feels more like Calyus than you might expect, and it's faster. I don't miss coins at all. But I do miss the picture of the castle. Without the big castle, people forget that you get most of your points from building the castle of Caylus. But if you want faster Caylus, 1303 is good. If you can still regularly get OG Caylus out, I'd stay with the original version, though.

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it, because I'm waiting for the Pax Pamir and The King is Dead reprints this year and Oceans (an Evolution game).

EDIT: Kemet 2: Blood and Sand has just been announced on BGG. In completely unrelated news, I'm selling my copy of Kemet if anyone wants it.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 4, 2020

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

So, what's the good version of Firefly? Because I want that pick up and deliver, wander around and upgrade your ship and complete missions feel, but I want it at less than three hours. And maybe with more player interaction. I've got Istanbul, which even though it's great, doesn't quite scratch that itch, and I've tried Islebound, which...just doesn't seem to work?

Is it Black Fleet? Is that what I want?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

El Fideo posted:

So, what's the good version of Firefly? Because I want that pick up and deliver, wander around and upgrade your ship and complete missions feel, but I want it at less than three hours. And maybe with more player interaction. I've got Istanbul, which even though it's great, doesn't quite scratch that itch, and I've tried Islebound, which...just doesn't seem to work?

Outer Rim? Though that's a shade under 3 hours just.

Oh just thought, Arabian Nights, though that's less of a games more of an experience.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 4, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

In Pandemic, when you cure a disease at a research station, do you then have to go and remove all the cubes of that colour on the board for it to be completely eradicated (with cures letting you remove the max amount of cubes of that colour per action)? Can diseases still spread with a known cure if you haven't removed all the cubes of that colour? Is the game instantly won when you cure all 4 diseases or do you need to remove and eradicate all the remaining cubes on the board?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yes, yes, and instantly won. Eradicating is a "if it happens, woohoo one less thing to worry about, but not part of actual victory conditions".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Fideo posted:

The good version of Firefly is Duck Dealer.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Okay, awesome, misunderstood rulebook then and we've been playing it on easy mode. As soon as we had a cure, we'd just stop adding cubes. I thought it seemed fishy.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

El Fideo posted:

Merchant of Venus. It's an old 80s Avalon Hill classic. It's not perfect--it's literally a mutation of roll-and-move at its heart--but it's still pretty decent for a space-faring pick-up-and-deliver with a random galaxy, ship upgrades, and on-the-fly routing decisions. With one big caveat.

Fantasy Flight published a new big box edition of the game in 2012. The box includes both the "classic" Avalon Hill version by Richard Hamblen, and a modernized reimagining by Robert A. Koulka. The reimagined version is complete dogshit. It takes forever, the hazards randomly end your turn instead of just costing money, and all the sci-fi cruft they added to make the game more pulpy and "exciting" just piss in the soup. Classic version or bust.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Is there a reasonable way to get a copy of Root or should I just wait for another print run?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mightygerm posted:

Is there a reasonable way to get a copy of Root or should I just wait for another print run?

There's a kickstarter that's shipping right now so it should be available in stores right away.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Gooncensus on western legends?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had a bunch of store credit for a local game shop after selling them all my old consoles and video games so picked up a big fancy board game called Twilight Imperium. Any goons familiar with it ?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

I had a bunch of store credit for a local game shop after selling them all my old consoles and video games so picked up a big fancy board game called Twilight Imperium. Any goons familiar with it ?

Which edition? there's 4 different versions of it.

Many people in this thread are familiar with it. It's a good game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Which edition? there's 4 different versions of it.

Many people in this thread are familiar with it. It's a good game.

Fourth! Brand new one

Always wanted to get into big board games like this and figured I’d nothing else to spend store cred it on. Figure playing a few games against myself will be the best way to learn

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Fourth! Brand new one

Always wanted to get into big board games like this and figured I’d nothing else to spend store cred it on. Figure playing a few games against myself will be the best way to learn

It's not a bad place to get started. What you'll need more than anything else is to get 3-5 friends who are willing to spend 5-6 hours playing it. I don't find that the TI rules are particularly difficult. One "how to play" video should get you going.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

EmmyOk posted:

Fourth! Brand new one

For its size Twilight Imperium is pretty easy to learn and teach. It’s Star Wars if every player got to play an evil Empire. There’s a thread that can introduce you to some basics

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Awesome folks that’s what I was looking for. Ty for the pointers

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Finally getting Concordia to the table today at two players. Anything we should watch out for, or any beginner strategies we should know about?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everything you do on the board means nothing if you don't have the scoring cards to multiple whatever you focus on. The two generally go hand in hand but not always and the game can be decided by a late game card buy or two. Stress how scoring works throughout basically. Otherwise it's super smooth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Funzo posted:

Finally getting Concordia to the table today at two players. Anything we should watch out for, or any beginner strategies we should know about?

Select the right board. If you use the full Med board you'll have basically no interaction or intersection.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bodanarko posted:

Gooncensus on western legends?

It's probably the best sandbox game I've played but can be tedious and overlong with too many players. Going lawman seems to be much more effective than crook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Finally got to play Brass: Birmingham and loved it. Worth the wait, though some of the rules took a bit of getting used to. Love the gearshift between the canal boat and rail eras.