Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I remember the most important part of settlement-building is creating huge surpluses of water so that you can flood the market with your aqua cola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

MisterBibs posted:

It was never panned, but NV certainly became the later once most Fallout fans skipped over it in favor of the fourth game.

Hey I did the opposite, played the gently caress out of New Vegas and have literally never touched FO4.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Hey I did the opposite, played the gently caress out of New Vegas and have literally never touched FO4.

Its good, regardless of what the goon "consensus" or stuff like my earlier comments keep saying about the bad stuff. Its way better than the general mood around here suggests. The first play-through without gimmick plays is very good and allows you to do some quite interesting poo poo. Unless you are one of those people who absolutely cannot play a game which limits your background to certain degree to tell a story about a war veteran or a lawyer being chosen to the Vault program.

Its not as great as New Vegas as a RPG, but it is still very good game, albeit it railroads you into becoming a real-estate investor and/or weaponsmith. But that does not matter, unless you decide to do a gimmick run.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Most people did, FO4 was the first Bethesda game that I saw getting lashed even by the usual fans but MisterBibs is incredibly broken brained and will launch into a mad rant about Super Mutants being essential to the lore or some poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Fallout 4 is a game where you go out to find so your son so you cannibalize him.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fallout also has one of the most toxic fan bases ever to walk the Earth. In the No Mutants Allowed they are still probably having fights over if the Fallout 2 is "mostly canon" or just "adds to canon".

There really are no winning positions in this argument. FFS Fallout 3 is still considered abysmal simply because it was not FO:NV and had some balance issues and weak DLC, completely disregarding the fact that without that game, Fallout: Brotherhood would have been the last game of the series, following such stellar game as Fallout Tactics which was a solidly mediocre game made from the then-hot franchise by crazy Frenchman and a team which, as it seems, did not communicate at all between the development units.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I thought people generally liked the Fallout 3 DLCs except for the alien one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout the setting feels played out and I really like to see it's role-playing sensibilities played elsewhere. Lonesome Road sort of felt like an epilogue to the whole post-apoc thing. Or maybe its because Bethesda can't think of new ideas.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout the setting feels played out and I really like to see it's role-playing sensibilities played elsewhere. Lonesome Road sort of felt like an epilogue to the whole post-apoc thing. Or maybe its because Bethesda can't think of new ideas.

My hope really was on that Fallout 76 would have been a SWTOR-style 1-player game on consistent multiplayer map enabling some cooperation or competition and set on the very hostile but survivable land immediately after the afterglow went to non-critical.

But nope, a cash grab on the promised Fallout 4 multiplayer mode with a new map and a boatload of bugs crippling the game, along with almost every annoying MMO micro-transation possible. Completely miserable way to so far "end" the franchise.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

My hope really was on that Fallout 76 would have been a SWTOR-style 1-player game on consistent multiplayer map enabling some cooperation or competition and set on the very hostile but survivable land immediately after the afterglow went to non-critical.

But nope, a cash grab on the promised Fallout 4 multiplayer mode with a new map and a boatload of bugs crippling the game, along with almost every annoying MMO micro-transation possible. Completely miserable way to so far "end" the franchise.

i really tried to give it a chance but its as terrible as everyone says. it took forever to kill anything unless you went melee and it has to have one of the worst character respec systems ever designed. you basically had to gain another 50 levels and swap points around. you could also start a new character but that meant youd have to play through fallout 76 again. also gently caress games with level requirements on gear.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It really is a setting with limited possibilities. Even New Vegas 200 years after the bombs dropping everything looks bombed out and lovely outside of a few places because thats the aesthetic people want. I wish Sawyer had been able to finish his Fallout tabletop game and published sourcebooks instead rather than having to keep continuing a loose storyline.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

It really is a setting with limited possibilities.
Ain't that the truth.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not the setting that has limited possibilities, it's Bethesda not doing anything with it but rehash the same premise. It's not going to get more interesting by using the same enemies and factions with a "it's x years later but still always looks and plays and feels the exact same" plot, that's not the setting's fault.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

It really is a setting with limited possibilities. Even New Vegas 200 years after the bombs dropping everything looks bombed out and lovely outside of a few places because thats the aesthetic people want. I wish Sawyer had been able to finish his Fallout tabletop game and published sourcebooks instead rather than having to keep continuing a loose storyline.

I don’t think NV looking completely bombed out was a deliberate choice as much as a side effect of the insanely short dev time. They made that game in 18 months so anywhere they could recycle assets, they had to.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you have Hearts of Iron IV and not tried the Old World Blues mod, it's a delight.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think NV looking completely bombed out was a deliberate choice as much as a side effect of the insanely short dev time. They made that game in 18 months so anywhere they could recycle assets, they had to.
This is naive. I guarantee any concept art that gets passed around Bethesda for approval that doesn't look bombed out gets rejected for "not having that Fallout look."

orcane posted:

It's not the setting that has limited possibilities, it's Bethesda not doing anything with it but rehash the same premise. It's not going to get more interesting by using the same enemies and factions with a "it's x years later but still always looks and plays and feels the exact same" plot, that's not the setting's fault.
Well, you're not wrong, but it does raise interesting questions of how marketable and interesting the Fallout systems would be once you mutate from "wasteland survival" to essentially a political simulator where you're playing a diplomat who is also a sociopath because "video game."

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I really want a Fallout spin-off that takes place in one of the big non-wasteland cities, like the NCR capital, just because there’s a lot of interesting opportunities for worldbuilding there. Maybe some kind of Noir-type detective game, which I think would fit the series pretty well.

Obviously I wouldn’t want Bethesda to do it, but maybe one of the studios they publish for could do a good job. It’ll never happen, of course, but I can dream.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've only ever played Fallout 3 and like it well enough but most of these open world games require too much of my time and I tend call it day after about 20 hours in. I get overwhelmed and forget what I was doing/where I was at after neglecting playing for 3 weeks. My dumb rear end skipped NV because I thought it was an expansion pack and not a stand alone game and I figured no point in playing an expansion when I was only 30% done with the main game.

The only time I have fun with open world sandbox games is when I have a holiday weekend with nothing to do and sink 2 straight days of 8-10 hour game play into it but that's far and few in between. I do get roped in and excited but then a month later I even forget the controls.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A lot of sandbox games, Fallout 4 included, make the mistake of quantity over quality. If you put enough mechanics into the game, you don't have to do any of them well because there's so much variety! Sure, the shooting sucks, the crafting sucks, the settlement building sucks, the dialogue system sucks and the leveling system sucks. But they're all in there! Look at all the boring stuff you can do!

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
It did annoy me that after Fallout 2, which showed that societies and towns were being rebuilt and that there was possibly a brighter future down the line... the other games went straight back to people squatting in the 200 year old ruins (excepting the institute but that had its own problems)

I know Fallout is now associated with post-apocalyptic, but things don't have to stay stuck in the ruins of the old world forever!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

This is naive. I guarantee any concept art that gets passed around Bethesda for approval that doesn't look bombed out gets rejected for "not having that Fallout look."

Well, you're not wrong, but it does raise interesting questions of how marketable and interesting the Fallout systems would be once you mutate from "wasteland survival" to essentially a political simulator where you're playing a diplomat who is also a sociopath because "video game."
I like to think there are other interesting stories they could tell within a "post-nuclear wasteland survival" framework that keeps some but not all recognizable elements of previous Fallout titles, without falling back to the exact same plot points, factions and monsters every single time. In that regard I think the FO4 plot wasn't a total failure as a concept, because it introduced a new local leadership and a plot that actually focused on rebuilding for a while, especially with the Minutemen and settlements. And then they ruined it all by making the entire plot a big pile of poo poo with the Institute as an Enclave reskin with the Railroad as rebel forces, of course the BoS has to be there too and OH NO MY SON.

You can have survival that's not stumbling over skeletons of people killed by the nuclear bombs while raiding pre-war fridges, and a post-apocalyptic society that feels alien to survivors doesn't have to be the BoS, some form of the Enclave, cannibalistic raiders and HEV super mutants every single time. But then they'd have to think of a world state beyond "no matter how many years we claim, the bombs just fell a handful of years/months ago".

E: ^^ yeah exactly that.

orcane has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jan 3, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Fallout eventually going to get into a Canticle for Leibowitz loop of "We nuked the Earth, rebuilt, nuked again"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

Fallout eventually going to get into a Canticle for Leibowitz loop of "We nuked the Earth, rebuilt, nuked again"

That was part of the plot for the original Van Buren version of Fallout 3.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I beat Breath of the Wild last night, and that was the final boss? Granted, I did all the Divine Beasts, which took out half his health, but that final fight was still rather unimpressive. Even the second form, of giant beast Ganon, was still pretty lame.

All in all, if it wasn't a Zelda game, I honestly don't think it would be as highly regarded as it was. If it had been an original property, its ideas would have been praised, but ultimately, it would have been quickly forgotten and trashed much harder than it was.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not sure where this comes from (part of me wants to say it's as old as the Fallout Bibles, part of me thinks it's something from a NV developer after NV dropped), but I recall at least one of the devs pushed back on Fallout becoming a post-post-apoc game long before Bethesda ever touched it.

As for your question, I think the results of the franchise sort of answer it: when Bethesda had to design Fallout 3, they didn't do it in a fledglingly-recovering town. They asked themselves what part of the Fallout universe would look the most bombed-out and irradiated - the most Fallouty- and went from there. Wouldn't even be talking about NV or 4 if the result of 3 didn't grab people.

Content, since we're on the Fallout franchise: every once in a while I'm reminded that I own the Dead Money expansion, and that I haven't played much of it... then I remember that it's designed to tweak off charisma-heavy ranged shooters, by design, and the desire leaves me. To say nothing about the :effort: of having to find a mod that disables that loving radio collar mechanic...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Leavemywife posted:

I beat Breath of the Wild last night, and that was the final boss? Granted, I did all the Divine Beasts, which took out half his health, but that final fight was still rather unimpressive. Even the second form, of giant beast Ganon, was still pretty lame.

All in all, if it wasn't a Zelda game, I honestly don't think it would be as highly regarded as it was. If it had been an original property, its ideas would have been praised, but ultimately, it would have been quickly forgotten and trashed much harder than it was.

And yet, because it is a Zelda game, there's people (like me, hi) who don't like it because it's not enough of a Zelda game.

John Murdoch posted:

A bunch of stuff is Intelligence locked too. Science! controlling your ability to craft energy weapons is sensible, but it also controls the grand majority of high-tier weapon mods, particularly for melee. And also anything other than the raw metal of power armor. And then also a few random settlement items. There's other dumb stuff like that. Like you can't install a doctor's stall for your settlement market unless you yourself have points in the Medic perk (another Intelligence perk, natch).

As someone trying to play an Int 0 melee berserker it was really loving annoying.

Edit: Looking it up, I forgot just how bad it is. INT gets a completely ridiculous spread of near must-have perks that anyone not doing a gimmick run like mine would be an idiot to ignore.

The one that really annoyed me is that the INT 10 perk is Nerd Rage. You know, that classic Fallout perk that allows INT-heavy characters to temporarily not be an INT-based character. It just felt like such a horrible miscalculation; all the other stat 10 perks really benefit the style that befits someone who's gone all-in on that stat, but INT's just gives you something entirely different.

It also always pissed me off that the perk for being more powerful when alone is in Charisma. Because yeah, that's definitely where the 'friendless loser' bonus should be.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

orcane posted:

I think it's the limit of what can be done in a AAA game that fans would want. Its why I wish they could have made it a tabletop setting, just publish absolutely insane bullshit because if people didn't like it a book is easy to recoup the cost.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Zelda kinda lost me at Skyward sword where you finally finish creating the master sword... And the thing still gets blocked by absolutely everything. Plant skin, wooden clubs, metal.

Two years later MGR comes out and hey wow it's a sword to actually cut through more things in the environment besides grass and vines! How nuts is that?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Evilreaver posted:

Pathologic 2 is exactly the game I've always wanted to play but now I'm an old man and it's exhausting to do all this investigating and getting invested in a game, plus after years of Fallout 3+4/basically every game lately, my "give a poo poo about game" neurons have all atrophied :corsair:

This is my exact same issue I have with Disco Elysium. I really want to dive into that game but I just can't find the energy anymore.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Samuringa posted:

Most people did, FO4 was the first Bethesda game that I saw getting lashed even by the usual fans but MisterBibs is incredibly broken brained and will launch into a mad rant about Super Mutants being essential to the lore or some poo poo.

There's no super mutants? Those are like my favorite dudes in the whole franchise. Oh well I was never going to play that game anyways.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
In Deep Rock Galactic, under development, they cannot stop loving changing the mission result screen. One patch it was text scroll sound effects like some 80's poo poo, they also hosed with how the results animate out. The latest added clanking footsteps. For an overwhelmingly great game where the fun relies on them balancing new content that is added in, what in gods name are they loving with that specific screen for so much.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Olaf The Stout posted:

There's no super mutants? Those are like my favorite dudes in the whole franchise. Oh well I was never going to play that game anyways.

There are Super Mutants in FO4. They're from a different strain of the FEV.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

There are Super Mutants in FO4. They're from a different strain of the FEV.

The Institute making super mutants was loving stupid.

:crossarms: "Our experiments at prolonging human life are working quite well with the implants used on Kellogg, but does anyone have any other suggestions on how we can move humanity forwards and make a better life for everyone?"
:science: "We could have security capture people from the wasteland and then my team can turn them into giant, muscle-bound, brainless eunuchs."
:crossarms: "... BRILLIANT!"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Pseudohog posted:

It did annoy me that after Fallout 2, which showed that societies and towns were being rebuilt and that there was possibly a brighter future down the line... the other games went straight back to people squatting in the 200 year old ruins (excepting the institute but that had its own problems)

I know Fallout is now associated with post-apocalyptic, but things don't have to stay stuck in the ruins of the old world forever!

There's one settlement in FO4, Covenant I think, that even though it was tiny had me thinking "yes, this is pretty much how all settlements should be by now."

Houses properly rebuilt, everything generally tidied up and liveable, surrounded by big walls with turrets to protect against raiders.

All the other places people live look like it's been at most a year or two after the bombs fell. Like goddamn, you've been living here for decades, maybe it's about time to pick up some of the pre-war trash and rubble you're living in?

I'm not expecting entire cities brought back to their former glory, but at least the places people are actually living shouldn't look like the war just happened.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That was part of the plot for the original Van Buren version of Fallout 3.

And something you could do in the Lonesome road if you wanted to. Probably because New Vegas leaned heavily into the Van Buren concepts.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

This is my exact same issue I have with Disco Elysium. I really want to dive into that game but I just can't find the energy anymore.

Exactly.

Disco Elysium is the perfect game and I'll never play more than the three hours I did. It's perfect and I'm glad it exists and it deserves game of the decade but it's not for me I don't have the goddamn time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Olaf The Stout posted:

There's no super mutants? Those are like my favorite dudes in the whole franchise.

If I remember right, the point that caused the NMA-esque wailing and gnashing of teeth was me saying that if NV wanted me to give a rat's rear end about the Hoover Dam battle, they should've had a Super Mutant swerve to the whole thing to add to the scope and importance of the whole thing. Like you said, Super Mutants are everyone's favorite dudes in the franchise, and running around a set with a bunch of human npcs drags down what should be a feel-good event. I mean, having all the human factions fighting would be a great stepping stone to a Here's The Real Bad Guy moment, but in the end its just... that.

Anyway, I don't know if this counts since there's nothing specific to pin down, but I started replaying the Rise Of The Triad remake (since I heard the devs decided to acquiesce to people insisting on a save system, plus Civvie did a video on the original), and I got a few minutes in and I just couldn't play it.

I'm not sure if it was constantly forgetting which missle weapon I had (my brain constantly reminding me how I still remember what the Drunk Missle or the Firebomb look like from the original) or the floaty feeling even with the tankiest character, but man, I really got happy about playing it for a minute.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Shovel Knight's King of Cards expansion has a speed run achievement just as the previous expansions and main game did. However, one unavoidable level forces you to beat 4 AI players in a very RNG-dependent card game before you can progress. Cool.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

joustus in general drags down king of cards for me, I'm sure it's not bad on an objective level and there's people who got a lot out of it but I found it very boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Shovel Knight's King of Cards expansion has a speed run achievement just as the previous expansions and main game did. However, one unavoidable level forces you to beat 4 AI players in a very RNG-dependent card game before you can progress. Cool.

That’s all still optional, you can just immediately leave and the game still continues as normal.

Joustus is fun once you have a good variety of the various types of cards but before that it’s kind of a slog