Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im gonna give filoni some slack since these were afaik the first live actions things hes ever done, and you gonna be hard pressed to convince me that that guy hasnt been pushing star wars as a whole through cw, rebels, and executive producing and writing mando in great ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mulva posted:

So which two are the bad movies Zane?

All of them except #5

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

The new Star Wars that dropped this week is also really good and worth a goon's time.

Agreed, it's very good.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Filoni’s live-action stuff has been pretty whatever but just lol if the last few years haven’t convinced you he’s one of the few creatives working on the franchise that truly gets what makes it all work and endure.

I’ll watch or read just about any current Star Wars project spearheaded by Filoni, Rian Johnson, or Charles Soule without reservation.

Also agreed.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Star Wars ranking of the things I have seen/care about.

StarWars> Empire> ROTJ* >Mandalorian> Clone Wars> Skywalker >Caravan >TLJ> Rebels > Capote Hutt Movie >awakens> Ewok> Phantom> Sith> Clones

*as a child, jedi is #1. As a teen Empire is #1
As an adult SW is number one, as it should be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shbobdb posted:

The no name pilot is the daughter of the leader of her world. The mandalorian is a princess. Everybody is a princess. These are terrible ideas. Throw a heaping pile of Thrawn and some of the other EU stuff like the middle road force demon thingy on there and it just gets worse.

Sabine was not a princess she was the daughter of a fairly powerful Mando house. Hera was not the daughter of the Rebel leader not the leader of the world.

Thrawn was a awesome and the Bendu was original to Rebels he was never from the EU. (His name was just taken from the original's scripts name for the Jedi.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
New Thrawn is superior to old EU Thrawn, he's nowhere near as invincible/perfect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

New EU needs more Mara Jade, I don’t give a poo poo if she has any interaction with Luke whatsoever, just make her a brainwashed Force-sensitive Imperial sleeper agent/assassin and let her deal with the ramifications of that when the Empire falls apart.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

New Thrawn is superior to old EU Thrawn, he's nowhere near as invincible/perfect.

The new Thrawn book series is really good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burning_Monk posted:

The new Thrawn book series is really good.

Ehhhhh the first one was alright but the second one was boring as gently caress and a transparent Galaxy’s Edge tie-in. I never bothered with the third one.

The one thing I will complain about in the Disney era is the lack of “meaningful” books and, to a lesser extent, comics. Nothing has any weight or influence because it’s all tip-toeing around potential movie and tv opportunities. It’s just filler for the most part. Bloodline, Tarkin, the Aftermath trilogy, and the first Thrawn book are the only novels that have felt worthwhile. And Tarkin is kind of a cheat since it was being worked on before the buyout.

The comics have fared a little better because you have Soule’s Poe and Vader runs, Aphra, and a couple of decent one-shot comics, but the main line was dire and lovely for most of its run because the writers never nailed the “voice” of each character, the stories were totally inconsequential, and the art was literally traced from screencaps.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 3, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The comics have fared a little better because you have Soule’s Poe and Vader runs, Aphra, and a couple of decent one-shot comics, but the main line was dire and lovely for most of its run because the writers never nailed the “voice” of each character, the stories were totally inconsequential, and the art was literally traced from screencaps.

I keep hearing people talk about how the artist (Larocca, I'd guess) swiped fan designs for his stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im on volume 11 of mainline star wars and its been pretty good imo. not as good as vader and aphra obviously but still enjoyable. the art has indeed been trash since liu left tho

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhhhh the first one was alright but the second one was boring as gently caress and a transparent Galaxy’s Edge tie-in. I never bothered with the third one.

The one thing I will complain about in the Disney era is the lack of “meaningful” books and, to a lesser extent, comics. Nothing has any weight or influence because it’s all tip-toeing around potential movie and tv opportunities. It’s just filler for the most part. Bloodline, Tarkin, the Aftermath trilogy, and the first Thrawn book are the only novels that have felt worthwhile. And Tarkin is kind of a cheat since it was being worked on before the buyout.

Third book is better than the second but not as good as the first.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

No idea about veracity, but the "Sabine and Ahsoka driving around in a van solving mysteries" we've opined about might be a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTUqKaKuk90

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I won't believe it until I see an official announcement, but man, an Ahsoka/Sabine space road trip series is pretty much the #1 thing I want to see on TV.

#2 is either of them showing up in The Mandalorian.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Moon Slayer posted:

Rebels is hands-down my #1 favorite piece of Star Wars media.

Just finished it and was blown away. I wish Clone Wars had that kind of ending. As far as the young Bounty Hunter goes: have you guys ever met a kid fresh out of boot? I’m giving the actor some benefit of the doubt as he perfectly captured an 17-18 year old desperate to fake being tough and cool. Especially when those guys get around an old vet they can get annoyingly try hard and constantly puffing their chests to prove they are the alpha male. I was chuckling the entire time but especially when he was drawing up on the “sleeping Mando” and Mando’s only reply was a tired “you done yet?” I loving died.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Ashoka death in rebels was fantastic and that people want her to be alive is why that shows fanbase sucks. Dying vs her former master in a hopeless fight to save people? Grade a ashoka and why we love her. Mysteriously surviving? Total bullahit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
do you focus test these takes somewhere to make sure they are extremely awful as opposed to just bad

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ahsoka, 97 years old and still alive and solving mysteries in a van with her new space family and the annoying force ghost of her space dad.

She finds a still-alive Barriss and they have brutal old person fight.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Ahsoka, 97 years old and still alive and solving mysteries in a van with her new space family and the annoying force ghost of her space dad.

This guy gets it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

site posted:

do you focus test these takes somewhere to make sure they are extremely awful as opposed to just bad

Just real opinions not from the basement.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

He said star wars fans like what he hates and he hates what star wars fans like, but he considers himself a giant star wars fan. So by the process of elimination, he's a fuckwit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

Ashoka death in rebels was fantastic and that people want her to be alive is why that shows fanbase sucks. Dying vs her former master in a hopeless fight to save people? Grade a ashoka and why we love her. Mysteriously surviving? Total bullahit.

She...doesn't die in Rebels? What?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Isn't she shown walking away at the end of that episode anyway? But yeah she doesn't die. She's in the last few episodes of Season 4.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Funky Valentine posted:

Someone tweet this at Filoni, stat

Also, as much as Ahsoka is easily one of my favorite Star Wars characters, I don't really want to see her in live-action for makeup budget reasons. They could easily do Sabine, though, especially if she never takes her helmet off and is just voice-acted.

But really, gently caress it, just have Siya Tircar play Sabine in live-action, too, helmet and no helmet. She's rad.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ahsoka fake dies to Vader, which would have been a perfect ending, however I’m also fine with her being alive with the owl from clone wars.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

But really, gently caress it, just have Siya Tircar play Sabine in live-action, too, helmet and no helmet. She's rad.

Okay, but she has to get electric blue or purple hair.

(I kid, anything would be find.)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

jivjov posted:

She...doesn't die in Rebels? What?

Thays how I view it but since you dont see the body people who like terrible things insist she is still alive. It... gets worse from there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dude she literally shows up in the finale

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My pitch for Mando season 2 would have him trying to track down Baby Yoda's people by exploring Jedi ruins and rumors. He finds out about an archeologist that may have info but she's been arrested on *inster planet name here* and he either breaks her out or just pays her bail and we get Aphra who goes "oh yea you got yourself a Baby Yoda here" and they go to Yoda's house on Dagobah, because of course she knows about it, and they find something there hidden away that leads to an ancient Jedi ruin on *insert planet here* so they go and there's a bunch of traps and poo poo and its very Indiana Jones. From there its more of a exploration of the memory of the Jedi that is left in the galaxy, as Palpatine and Vader were very good as scrubbing anything to do with them across the galaxy. Also Aphra would only be in like 2 episodes, and it would definitely be a "hey check out my show for more of my adventures!" kind of thing. I would also have Gideon show up in a EU Ship like a Lancer or Dreadnought and there would be stuff that involved either sneaking onto the ship or escaping it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

My pitch for Mando season 2 would have him trying to track down Baby Yoda's people by exploring Jedi ruins and rumors. He finds out about an archeologist that may have info but she's been arrested on *inster planet name here* and he either breaks her out or just pays her bail and we get Aphra who goes "oh yea you got yourself a Baby Yoda here" and they go to Yoda's house on Dagobah, because of course she knows about it, and they find something there hidden away that leads to an ancient Jedi ruin on *insert planet here* so they go and there's a bunch of traps and poo poo and its very Indiana Jones. From there its more of a exploration of the memory of the Jedi that is left in the galaxy, as Palpatine and Vader were very good as scrubbing anything to do with them across the galaxy. Also Aphra would only be in like 2 episodes, and it would definitely be a "hey check out my show for more of my adventures!" kind of thing. I would also have Gideon show up in a EU Ship like a Lancer or Dreadnought and there would be stuff that involved either sneaking onto the ship or escaping it.

I'd fight to the death to see that.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

All these people wondering what baby yoda's species is called like they've never seen a goblin before.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rocksicles posted:

I'd fight to the death to see that.

I'd also have him go to some secret Mando hide out where he meets Bo-Katan, who was severely wounded during the purge, hence why Gideon has the Dark Saber.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dude she literally shows up in the finale

Lol really? That's so loving awful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shbobdb posted:

Lol really? That's so loving awful.

Not at all in fact Ezra is the one who saves her from death. (Several episodes before the finale.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

He's not actually as perfect or invisible in his original story as people go on about. In fact when he is seemingly resurrected later on (It's just an actor dressed like Thrawn and a master tactician teaming up to make it seem like he is alive again.) there are tons of overblown rumors about the guy and the main characters even say that as talented as he was, he was nowhere near the unbeatable genius the people fearing his return are making him out to be.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not at all in fact Ezra is the one who saves her from death. (Several episodes before the finale.)

Now you are trolling me, I feel like I would remember an awful take like that.

These star wars fans man, buttertrolls all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

I'd also have him go to some secret Mando hide out where he meets Bo-Katan, who was severely wounded during the purge, hence why Gideon has the Dark Saber.

She sets him on a path to find Jedi, and tells him about her sister and the Obi-Wan who got away.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

Thays how I view it but since you dont see the body people who like terrible things insist she is still alive. It... gets worse from there.

She literally does not die. You're bad at watching tv.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

You see her walking away from the fight at the end of the exact same episode, all her appearance in the final season does is explain how she survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

jivjov posted:

She literally does not die. You're bad at watching tv.

You see her falling in a dark cave. That's death man.