Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

snoremac posted:

Yeah I really just assumed it was the equivalent of the "Create New Vassal" option, or at least that it wouldn't disinherit my sons! I thought at worst it would give a vassal more power than I'd like.

In fairness, when the player happens to be a steward and gets the chance to do that to their ruler once in a blue moon, loving of course you screw him over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Greaseman posted:

In fairness, when the player happens to be a steward and gets the chance to do that to their ruler once in a blue moon, loving of course you screw him over.
It's possible my steward hated me. If that's an influencing factor I would've l liked a warning like how it tells you to be wary of who you make spymaster. In any case I'm never doing it again.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
This is why it's important to keep a council full of highly competent landless yesmen (except, maybe, the advisor slots, maybe) and just keep arresting or murdering or both your powerful vassals when they reach adulthood.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Charlz Guybon posted:

You could easily extend the game to 1648 with CK2 mechanics, if it weren't for the need to simulate the New World somehow.

Mm, honestly, I think they could do the New World with mechanics not unlike what they did for Jade Dragon--just have it be its own off-map thing you can either invest in and reap the benefits from or ignore.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Extend it to 1936 and just have more and more lowborn characters with offmap urban mob levies popping up over time joining factions like "Proletarian Dictatorship for Holy Roman Empire"

Also, I can't stand byzantine succession. I haven't played much at all in byz since it happened.

I hate how it leads to AI Byzantiums being in near-constant civil war. Yes yes it's "accurate" but the byzantine's infighting was mostly not on the scale of "half the empire's territory and army in constant war against the other half." It needs more palace coups and intrigue and less of Octavian vs Antony. Also it should be at least possible for an AI dynasty to last for more than one generation, and the succession mechanics wrt to the Imperial heir vs your familial heir and land should be far more transparent for the player.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 22, 2019

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The only time I've tried to actually be the Byz emperor was for the challenge thing a couple weeks back. I kept restarting because when the first guy got old, and I was going to lose the emperor title, it said all my titles would go to the next emperor, but I guess that's just a display bug? Even the CK2 wiki page for imperial elective succession doesn't make that poo poo clear.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Gotta say that I’m pretty charmed about how byzantine the Byzantine succession is.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It needs more palace coups and intrigue and less of Octavian vs Antony.

This is a problem in every Paradox game. Cause that map is right there and you have to use it, and nobody wants to lose genius dictator to some sort of "I suddenly have 23 knife wounds in me" event. Same for EU4, it has disasters for civil wars but not coups. I think the only proper coup you can get is Catherine the Great ruling Russia with Women in History event pack. Maybe CK3 will be better about it but I still suspect it will be all JRPG about it so that every conversation has to involve grand scale battle.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Are legitimized Bastards not allowed to become Holy Roman Emperor?

I legitimized the first born son of the duchess of Toulouse and gave him a barony. He's eligible to become King of Lothringia, but not HRE. I can understand a hefty penalty to voters, but not allowing seems to far.

Not like it will hold me back, I have plenty of Karling kings in the empire to choose from.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well, that's a first

also the first time I've seen second cousins hit with inbred :bahgawd:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilitarist posted:

This is a problem in every Paradox game. Cause that map is right there and you have to use it, and nobody wants to lose genius dictator to some sort of "I suddenly have 23 knife wounds in me" event. Same for EU4, it has disasters for civil wars but not coups. I think the only proper coup you can get is Catherine the Great ruling Russia with Women in History event pack. Maybe CK3 will be better about it but I still suspect it will be all JRPG about it so that every conversation has to involve grand scale battle.

what if it goes full JRPG and Charlemagne is now a willowy white haired teenager with a giant sword

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Randaconda posted:

what if it goes full JRPG and Charlemagne is now a willowy white haired teenager with a giant sword

That's completely off.

His hair is only partially white and his sword isn't that giant.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Charlemagne jrpg

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bleh. I am so glad that the Monarch's Challenges are only bronzeman, because I lost my first attempt at the newest one because I died in the Chess With Death event despite gaining three free points, while being one point away from one of the challenges and before I could inherit West Francia.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hellioning posted:

That's completely off.

His hair is only partially white and his sword isn't that giant.

:hmmyes: as long as Astolfo is included. Everyone wants Astolfo.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I'm back at CK2 after not playing for a while and noticed that under the breakdown of relationships between characters, if I have say Cynical vs. Zealous, it now says 'OTHER' instead of what I'm pretty sure used to be a straight penalty to relations.

Is this a recent change, and what the fook does the 'OTHER' mean in practice?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the 'penalty for other' is just to clarify that it's opposing traits giving the malus, instead of say the pope hating cynical.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eimi posted:

:hmmyes: as long as Astolfo is included. Everyone wants Astolfo.

i don't get it :saddowns:

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Randaconda posted:

i don't get it :saddowns:

Duke Astolpho is one of Charlemagne's fictitious paladins who's most prominent in Orlando Innamorato and Orlando Furioso. He's a British prince who may or may not be Offa of Mercia's son. He's very popular in anime fandom thanks to his portrayal in the Fate franchise, where's he's this cheerful, excitable knightly fellow (based on his more comedic role in Innamorato) who's possibly non-binary (some material identifies him as a male, others he gives his gender as xgender).

Though back to the Matter of France, he's actually more prominent than Roland in Furioso despite not even being the titular character. Flies to the Moon with Prester John's help and gets back Roland's sanity and everything. Basically the pinch-hitter for the paladins.

Randaconda posted:

And yes, the Fate franchise does have Charlemagne as a willowy black haired teenage with stripes of white hair with a giant sword. And another Charlemagne except he's big and buff and has a Catholic cross embedded into his chest.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The new run, with Shajar al-Durr, seems pretty difficult compared to the previous challenges. I think the key is converting to a non-muslim religion so you can have an easier path to female rulers - Miaphysite seems relatively easy to get since you start with it in your demesne, but you kind of need to get to 250 piety before the Crusade pops so you don't have to deal with that particular clown car.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Oh stop it, you know what I mean. Moving armies around the map in a Paradox games is an answer to any problem, just like in JRPG you can't talk to anyone without fighting first. If you want you can replace JRPG with Chinese Martial Arts Movies in this metaphor.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

KoldPT posted:

The new run, with Shajar al-Durr, seems pretty difficult compared to the previous challenges. I think the key is converting to a non-muslim religion so you can have an easier path to female rulers - Miaphysite seems relatively easy to get since you start with it in your demesne, but you kind of need to get to 250 piety before the Crusade pops so you don't have to deal with that particular clown car.

Stopping the Crusade just makes the other challenges a little easier if you're doing it all in one run. A jihad against Jerusalem usually begins soon; winning that gets you that kingdom and the piety to create Al-Jazira and Syria before losing Egypt.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Since when did cowardly infanticide become a thing, and why is the penalty so enormous?

-25 with everyone, -50 with your dynasty?

You don't get a penalty that bad from kinslaying or cannibalism.

Going to have to nominate my son instead of my daughter as heir now.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Charlz Guybon posted:

Since when did cowardly infanticide become a thing, and why is the penalty so enormous?

:yikes:

but seriously, anything that stops you from being an all-out murderer is welcome, I remember when assassinate was just a gold cost I would kill more people than the Black Plague ever could, and even after they changed it so it required a plot, I'm murdering people left and right more often than not

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paradox can't stop me from killing inconvenient babies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TorakFade posted:

:yikes:

but seriously, anything that stops you from being an all-out murderer is welcome, I remember when assassinate was just a gold cost I would kill more people than the Black Plague ever could, and even after they changed it so it required a plot, I'm murdering people left and right more often than not

That's not it. I had no idea what this was so I googled it, and it's an abortion that a female character can have if their pregnancy is endangering their life.

Now, historically it wasn't considered abortion/murder unless it was past the quickening, so post 20-25th week for a first pregnancy. But it seems crazy to me that it penalizes way worse than kinslaying which gives you -25 Dynasty
-10 General. Seems that penalty would be appropriate.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's not it. I had no idea what this was so I googled it, and it's an abortion that a female character can have if their pregnancy is endangering their life.

Now, historically it wasn't considered abortion/murder unless it was past the quickening, so post 20-25th week for a first pregnancy. But it seems crazy to me that it penalizes way worse than kinslaying which gives you -25 Dynasty
-10 General. Seems that penalty would be appropriate.

What the everloving gently caress? There's abortion in CK2? I honestly had no idea :confused: I thought you were talking about the classic murdering of dangerous infants while they're still unable to retaliate or defend themselves (which is arguably even worse so there's that)

Also, quack doctors can chop your face/dick off with no repercussion, but getting an abortion to save your life is disgusting? That's medical practice in the middle ages for you

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I wonder if there are any pro letsplayers for CK2. We have people like Arumba and Florryworry for EU4 but I've realized that I have never seen any really good player doing CK2. You usually see just goofing around. Like those Monarch Journeys done well.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

CK2: Paradox can't stop me from killing inconvenient babies.

E:

ilitarist posted:

I wonder if there are any pro letsplayers for CK2. We have people like Arumba and Florryworry for EU4 but I've realized that I have never seen any really good player doing CK2. You usually see just goofing around. Like those Monarch Journeys done well.

I'm sure they exist, but, like, playing this game well would be the opposite of fun to watch.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 3, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Eh, stealth/immersive sim games are all about improvising Plan B but it's still fun to watch someone who knows what they're doing owning the game. Same here.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not hard to manipulate the AI, really, but it's way more fun to rp your ruler and see where the basic insanity of the game takes you.

Die and your heir is the leader of the Satanists? Ride that poo poo out and see where it goes.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Eh, stealth/immersive sim games are all about improvising Plan B but it's still fun to watch someone who knows what they're doing owning the game. Same here.

Most people could do a map painting challenge and micromanage their family tree to ensure every possible bloodline and all genius/strong etc, there’s just not a lot of fun in doing it. Owning the game in that sense is easier than EU4

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm just wondering how exactly are people doing it. Making everyone in your dynasty a healthy saint with society or a great pagan warrior with another society is effective but boring. Wonder if there are both interesting and useful techniques.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TorakFade posted:

What the everloving gently caress? There's abortion in CK2? I honestly had no idea :confused: I thought you were talking about the classic murdering of dangerous infants while they're still unable to retaliate or defend themselves (which is arguably even worse so there's that)

Also, quack doctors can chop your face/dick off with no repercussion, but getting an abortion to save your life is disgusting? That's medical practice in the middle ages for you

Yeah if you are playing a female character with a difficult pregnancy, you have the option to say "this child is not worth my life" and attempt to abort it. However, if the attempt is found out, the entire world hates you forever. And I do mean forever, the modifiers that Charlz is mentioning last 100 years. You make that mistake exactly once.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have thousands of hours on this game and never saw that happen

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeah, me neither. it’s still stupid as hell and pretty ahistorical afaik.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the maluses themselves make perfect sense, the intensity and the duration, however...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The duration for a lot of modifiers like that was increased to 100 years because of potential immortality. It probably shouldn't be that bad though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hey, would't want the immortality even chain breaking immersion or making things ahistoric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

The pregnancy modifiers are relatively recent and this option sounds like an even newer thing, so it's not that weird you've never run into it before. I don't end up playing female characters all that often but I think when I have and had a difficult pregnancy it just forced me into a regency for a few months. Or I died.