Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I realized that due to my terribleness at RTS, I've been playing the battles more like XCOM missions. Which is why Sniktch has been really fun for me-I go into fights I have no business winning and come out on top by weaving Sniktch through enemy blobs to the enemy lord while my skitterleaped Warp Grinders just delete superior units caught up on my chaff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm vaguely amused by how much of my High Elf game I've spent beating the poo poo out of the other High Elves to get to quest/runestone places compared to fighting anyone else. It's like turn 80 and I'm just starting to sail over to beat up the dark elves since they're ahead of me in the meter, and am probably going to destroy assassin elf on the way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm finally getting around to playing some more Vampire Counts as Mannfred, and I just sent an agent down to the Badlands for the Quest you have to do. I rounded the bend south of Schartzhafen and found this:

I am really glad I did not take the bait and attack Grenzstadt for shits. Its turn 26, what the hell have you been doing, Wurzag?

edit: What do you guys like most for a mount for the Necromancer? I have Steal Technology'd my way to level 14 with the guy I am going to put in Mannfred's army and now that I have Wind of Death maxed out I figure I might as well pick up a mount.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 3, 2020

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: What do you guys like most for a mount for the Necromancer? I have Steal Technology'd my way to level 14 with the guy I am going to put in Mannfred's army and now that I have Wind of Death maxed out I figure I might as well pick up a mount.

The Unholy Lodestone corpse cart is really good for supporting your infantry. Gives melee attack/defence buffs plus regeneration for nearby units.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Is there a lot of significant differences in corpse carts or is it just "bring the most advanced you can create or the RoR/Master Necro on his mount"? Seems like a 1-2 of, although they can certainly do decent 1 on 1 or flank sniping, especially the RoR. Like park them behind the front to be safe, have them flank if you want to micro.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I mean it seems totally fine to play the lizards for your first campaign :confused:

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The Crotch posted:

I think you guys are severely overestimating the bad habits a new player can learn from having good infantry early on

I learned awful habits from like 150 hours playing nothing but Dwarfs, and I would have it no other way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I mean it seems totally fine to play the lizards for your first campaign :confused:

I think if you're really interested in learning all the nuts and bolts of how to get good at the game there's better factions to play, but it's absolutely not going to cripple you and you of course should play what faction you like the most! Having fun is the most important objective and if you don't like dwarfs or high elves or whatever then playing them is dumb even if they're better for learning.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

As Ikit? I find it works well to go west / North and wreck Estalia, Tilea, and all the misc french knight factions like bret, carcassone, etc. Those french 2 city provinces are nice for food and if you can make it all the way up to wood elf land fairly early each of their provinces can run a food building + edict.

In ME as Ikit I go East. Mostly for the hilarity of beating Queek, Belegar, and Skarsnik to K8P and building all the cool Skaven buildings there. Last time I did this it meant I ended up joining the Order Deathball because everyone loved how many greenskins I beat up and ate.

On Vortex Ikit's a tough start especially if you don't cheese up your starting settlement, but lizards should be shot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Just about done with a Tilean colonial campaign. That tought me a lot of good habits because TSR Tilea is generally like empire but bad and you have to rely really heavily on troop combinations.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I kind of like my way of choosing factions to start with:
“Hey this game is on sale, lemme buy the first and if I like it grab the second when it starts going on sale. Oh poo poo, loving vampires? Hell yeah! Ok what next? Hmmm, let’s try the floaty French lady. Ok that was kinda fun.... how about... the dancing orc, why not”

Then the second game was “Oh poo poo, who dat edgy old lady? Oh hell yeah she just wanna kill everyone to be pretty, loving awesome! Ok, that was rad... lemme be that blond elf lady now, see how it goes”

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I kind of like my way of choosing factions to start with:
“Hey this game is on sale, lemme buy the first and if I like it grab the second when it starts going on sale. Oh poo poo, loving vampires? Hell yeah! Ok what next? Hmmm, let’s try the floaty French lady. Ok that was kinda fun.... how about... the dancing orc, why not”

Then the second game was “Oh poo poo, who dat edgy old lady? Oh hell yeah she just wanna kill everyone to be pretty, loving awesome! Ok, that was rad... lemme be that blond elf lady now, see how it goes”

This is the best game because there is also a dead and alive version of floaty french ladies.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Interesting recent mod roundup:

Mixu's: Vangheist's Revenge New Mixu VSea subfaction with a lot of ghosts. You're a vassal of Noctilus if you play as Vangheist or he's a recruitable LL from turn 1 as Noctilus. Also has custom legendary pirate lords through the tech tree. Can only occupy ports.

Unit Caps For All Tomb Kings-style faction unit caps for all factions rather than the core/rare/special army caps of something like TTC.

Advanced Autoresolver Another take on adjusting autoresolve weights/systems. Seems like early days in getting it right, but maybe one to watch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dandywalken posted:

Grimhammer update in about an hour and a half!

What's that?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Getting closer, feeling the noose tightening you dwarf fucks? :commissar:

It's turn 202, the hellwar have been going on since at least turn 110? Don't remember, all I know is of a dinosaur foot stomping on a dwarf face forever, while it refuses to die like a decent enemy. With Black Crag taken, I have enough income for another army bringing me upp to 7 which should speed things up, then I can head over to the empire and help my new friends Morathi, Malekith and Wulfric finish off the order factions for good!

The whole great plan thing might have derailed a bit somewhere around where the crusader brettonians took a province I needed or when the dwarfs joined the skaven in trying to kill me off, not sure :v:

edit: In my defence, they killed off all the other lizardmen factions except the Sentinels of Xeti and nobody likes those guys, and Tiktaq'to who choose death when he decided to intervene on the brettonians side :colbert:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 4, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Who's the best high elf for the sword of Kaine? Tyrion is obviously the best combatant but Sunfang is really strong too. Do I just throw it onto a random lord?

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Anno posted:

Interesting recent mod roundup:

Mixu's: Vangheist's Revenge New Mixu VSea subfaction with a lot of ghosts. You're a vassal of Noctilus if you play as Vangheist or he's a recruitable LL from turn 1 as Noctilus. Also has custom legendary pirate lords through the tech tree. Can only occupy ports.

Unit Caps For All Tomb Kings-style faction unit caps for all factions rather than the core/rare/special army caps of something like TTC.

Advanced Autoresolver Another take on adjusting autoresolve weights/systems. Seems like early days in getting it right, but maybe one to watch.

Oh drat, those sound cool and good. Thanks for pointing them out.

I really wish CA would go through and add more legendary heroes too. I loved having Henri as Repanse’s loyal longtime guardian buddy and all as well as alot of the legendary heroes that Mixu put in to their factions. Just felt more flavorful to have at least an extra person with story rather than weirdass-rng-name-hero #5.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is anyone else unable to build Weapon Burrows as Skyre in Vortex? There's no level 2 structure for me, assumedly because I didn't buy shadow and the blade. Result is I cant build weapon teams outside what skyres unique building gives :(

Edit: Unit Caps for All gets my recommendation btw. It owns.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Who's the best high elf for the sword of Kaine? Tyrion is obviously the best combatant but Sunfang is really strong too. Do I just throw it onto a random lord?

Sword of Kaine basically gives combat lord stats to whoever you give it to. Tyrion already beats the poo poo out of everyone, so he's not that much improved by it. For best results give it to a caster lord like Alarielle.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Probably a generic lord who gets a Dragon works best; unfortunately none of the HE LLs get dragons so usually I just try to give it to a generic (or Alarielle).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Anno posted:

lmao CA

quote:

So [...] it turns out all the lizardmen monstrous infantry and dinosaurs [...] are classified as melee infantry...to adjust these chariots against them, while also making them as effective [...] vs infantry scenarios is a little...well...kind of impossible. [...] There's a lot of mis-classed units for some armies that cause really bad AR results in cases involving cavalry and chariots. Not much we can do about that without a full overhaul mod.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 4, 2020

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I thought destroying settlements shooting beams was supposed to stop rituals, but my intervention destroyed one and it's still going? I'm now not at all sure how this works.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gorelab posted:

I thought destroying settlements shooting beams was supposed to stop rituals, but my intervention destroyed one and it's still going? I'm now not at all sure how this works.

If the settlement is destroyed when the 10 turn ritual effect ends, the ritual fails and they have to do it again.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

If the settlement is destroyed when the 10 turn ritual effect ends, the ritual fails and they have to do it again.

And yes, if they resettle in time the ritual succeeds. This is a good reason to launch intervention armies late.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Not really Total War related (yet), but GW started teasing their next AoS army, which is apparently just Teclis recreating High Elfs in some different image, but maybe keeping all the pointy parts.

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 4, 2020

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jokes posted:

Can someone link me to that mod that lets you boost/hold back certain factions so I can make sure that the greenskins beat up the dwarfs.
Unnatural Selection

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know if there is a simple mod that makes it so all siege maps have an area that is outside the range of the tower weapons? I'm really sick needing to micro something to avoid having half my army die to tower guns when I wish I could say "I wont need this unit for the next 30 minutes of the battle, go somewhere safe". I tried google and searching the workshop and could not find anything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 4, 2020

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Anyone have tips for getting influence as high elves? Should I be using Nobles to farm it from settlements, or is it really just about waiting for random events?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Jeremor posted:

Anyone have tips for getting influence as high elves? Should I be using Nobles to farm it from settlements, or is it really just about waiting for random events?

Definitely have nobles farm it. It's the best use for nobles.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
If you don't want your infantry/ranged/cav/artillery to get hammered by towers, put a lord or a hero further ahead of your army in the zone of fire for each tower that your army is in range of. They will soak up all of the tower hits, leaving your free to knock down the towers with your arty or get your army marching forwards saving you a ton of men since they won't take as many tower hits.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jeremor posted:

Just buy a couple lovely free nobles to have on permanent influence duty. The bad traits won't matter since they won't ever see combat.
You really don't need more than 2 imo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ad090 posted:

If you don't want your infantry/ranged/cav/artillery to get hammered by towers, put a lord or a hero further ahead of your army in the zone of fire for each tower that your army is in range of. They will soak up all of the tower hits, leaving your free to knock down the towers with your arty or get your army marching forwards saving you a ton of men since they won't take as many tower hits.

I'm really sick needing to micro something to avoid having half my army die to tower guns

I am well aware of what you are saying and I do this all the time when I am able, but it does not mean I dont wish CA would do something about how tedious siege assaults are. There is no reason other than "the map is too small" that keeps me from keeping troops outside the range of tower weapons; some maps let you do this, while others do not, and I would really love it if every map let you do so.

For example, if you are playing as Vampire Counts, you do not get siege weapons so your solution does not work. While my lords and infantry assault the gates it would be really drat nice if I could park my cav somewhere where it would not die to the town's towers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Just buy a couple lovely free nobles to have on permanent influence duty. The bad traits won't matter since they won't ever see combat.
You really don't need more than 2 imo.

I honestly just use every single noble I get for influence farming, because there is always a use for more influence. Handmaiden heroes easily fulfill the "combat hero" role in stacks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kanos posted:

I honestly just use every single noble I get for influence farming, because there is always a use for more influence. Handmaiden heroes easily fulfill the "combat hero" role in stacks.

Do handmaidens get chariots? Because a noble on chariot is super powerful

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Do handmaidens get chariots? Because a noble on chariot is super powerful

That's what incendiary mages are for.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I am well aware of what you are saying and I do this all the time when I am able, but it does not mean I dont wish CA would do something about how tedious siege assaults are. There is no reason other than "the map is too small" that keeps me from keeping troops outside the range of tower weapons; some maps let you do this, while others do not, and I would really love it if every map let you do so.

For example, if you are playing as Vampire Counts, you do not get siege weapons so your solution does not work. While my lords and infantry assault the gates it would be really drat nice if I could park my cav somewhere where it would not die to the town's towers.

I can't answer your real question sorry, but I can at least say that towers can't hit right next to the wall. That's where I park my cav usually. I also just withdraw units I know I won't use at all that fight, but this probably doesn't apply to cav.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The real reason to use some nobles in armies is that spamming the agent action every turn is tedious as poo poo

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Give us the ability to queue actions for several turns, CA.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

I can't answer your real question sorry, but I can at least say that towers can't hit right next to the wall. That's where I park my cav usually. I also just withdraw units I know I won't use at all that fight, but this probably doesn't apply to cav.
Yeah I'll have to try that again; I tried a few times and they ended up getting shot enough by archers on the walls and towers that it was still too much to lose. I hadnt actually thought to just withdraw them at the start of the fight - I may withdraw them next time its just another moshpit at the gate that triggers a mass route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Yeah I'll have to try that again; I tried a few times and they ended up getting shot enough by archers on the walls and towers that it was still too much to lose. I hadnt actually thought to just withdraw them at the start of the fight - I may withdraw them next time its just another moshpit at the gate that triggers a mass route.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158673011

Should work despite not being up to date.