Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Waiting a year or two also looks bad to the domestic constituency who are demanding revenge. You can't just play the long game as if you're harboring a personal grudge when the US just merked your greatest national hero.

True, we'll see :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

its way more than 70 million, if you lump the liberals in with the chuds for imperialism purposes, which you should

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Waiting a year or two also looks bad to the domestic constituency who are demanding revenge. You can't just play the long game as if you're harboring a personal grudge when the US just merked your greatest national hero.

Exactly. As Dolan keeps pointing out everyone has constituents that have to be kept on board. And they are all mad as hell now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the question isn't "do americans support mass murder in the middle east regardless of the caucus belli or lack thereof" it's "can people who live under the Great Satan regime ever really say they don't support mass murder in the middle east"

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

this is what really threw me for a loop

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/1213241251337850882?s=20
the US excuse for bombing these people is that the US labeled them terrorists 6 hours ago

edit: or maybe not???

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Jan 4, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I can't even go on facebook or I'm gonna end up telling some boomer retiree that I want to chop their head off with a broadsword for saying poo poo like "I hope civilized people are restored to power there." bitch I'll show you some loving civilization

THS
Sep 15, 2017

genericnick posted:

Exactly. As Dolan keeps pointing out everyone has constituents that have to be kept on board. And they are all mad as hell now.

yeah americans repeatedly fail to recognize nationalism and agency in any non-american place.

imagine thinking you are going to intimidate people when you blow their poo poo up instead of pissing them off. if people blow our poo poo up, they get mad - but i guess the iranians are inhuman space aliens??

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Atrocious Joe posted:

the US excuse for bombing these people is that the US labeled them terrorists 6 hours ago

Were these seriously the same guys they labeled earlier today?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can't even go on facebook or I'm gonna end up telling some boomer retiree that I want to chop their head off with a broadsword for saying poo poo like "I hope civilized people are restored to power there." bitch I'll show you some loving civilization

Cool fantasy

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Brogeoisie posted:

Wow it's the poo poo from the Bush years now too

The monsters are here in full force, every evil is out to play

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

Cool fantasy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/03/donald-trump-just-tripped-up-on-the-air-over-foreign-policy-again-and-again/

hey remember when never trump republicans tried to sink trump over not knowing who Suleimani was in September 2015

who’s laughing now Hewitt :sad:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

to be clear trump still doesn't know who suleimani is

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think it's rude, I just think it's sad that your fantasy is about how you want to unsheathe your posting katana on people on fb but oops you'd get in trouble so no.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Sinteres posted:

I don't think it's rude, I just think it's sad that you want to unsheathe your posting katana on people on fb.

yeah it’s weird that people have any strong feelings about anything at all, and would express those feelings. unlike you, the Poster Above It All

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1213237100369235968

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Brogeoisie posted:

i think it just might be that PMU labeled today announcing the deaths of a different militia? I may be mistaken

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-blast-tv/u-s-air-strike-targets-iraqi-militia-north-of-baghdad-state-tv-idUSKBN1Z22AB

quote:

U.S. air strike targets Iraqi militia north of Baghdad: state TV

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A United States air strike targeted an Iraqi militia late on Friday on Taji road north of Baghdad, state TV said. It did not name the militia or provide further details.

Air strikes targeting Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Forces umbrella grouping of Iran-backed Shi’ite militias near camp Taji north of Baghdad have killed six people and critically wounded three, an Iraqi army source told Reuters late on Friday.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's a wonderful phrase coined by limousine lib historian Barbara Tuchmann to describe how Austria-Hungary stumbled into the first world war: "the bellicose frivolity of senile empires."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

I don't think it's rude, I just think it's sad that your fantasy is about how you want to unsheathe your posting katana on people on fb but oops you'd get in trouble so no.

Do you even have a single iota of hatred in your entire body?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
this is all crazy

but in a weird sort of way i'm impressed

the neocons are really just rolling the dice on "what if we really did just kill everyone we didn't like"

its loving wild

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Do you even have a single iota of hatred in your entire body?

Yeah I hate this guy because he's absolutely going to try throwing the election to Trump.

https://twitter.com/tperry518/status/1213212105249296384

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The more the media keeps framing these attacks in terms of "Iran-backed militias," the less people understand that these are Iraqi government allies who are incorporated into their military structure. It's like bombing the national guard.

Sinteres posted:

Yeah I hate this guy because he's absolutely going to try throwing the election to Trump.

I don't believe you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m sure he was being completely serious about using a broadsword.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
sinteres wants to hug and kiss michael bloomberg IMO

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

freckle posted:

sinteres wants to hug and kiss michael bloomberg IMO

N-no, they're onto me!

Edit: This is a dumb derail, so I'm going to back off for a bit. gently caress Trump and US foreign policy.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

sinteres, a person completely lacking in righteous energy and poster’s honor. useless in the warfare we engage in every day on the astral plane. while i’m telling old republicans about how decades of lead poisoning ruined their brains, sinteres is hiding behind the discredited notion of civility. shameful and pathetic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Obviously we want to behead people IRL, not on Facebook - that's just where you pick your targets.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Sinteres posted:

N-no, they're onto me!

Edit: This is a dumb derail, so I'm going to back off for a bit. gently caress Trump and US foreign policy.

im going to need a “death to america” at the very least from you, here and now

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

THS posted:

im going to need a “death to america” at the very least from you, here and now

It was tempting.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Atrocious Joe posted:

edit: or maybe not???

https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status...ingawful.com%2F

Hmm. Doesn't appear to be true.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Sinteres posted:

gently caress Trump and US foreign policy

This is ok

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
so the gap between people being designated terrorists and then being murdered is now only a few hours.

but the thing is, it takes several hours at absolute minimum to put together an airstrike. you have to stage the aircraft and fuel the aircraft and put the missiles on it and put together a flight plan and blah blah blah, all sorts of poo poo.

so what that means is that the strike had to have been planned before the targets were actually legally considered terrorists, which means the US first decided to kill them and then manufactured a justification for it ex post facto.

not like they haven't done that before but it's still loving upsetting

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

holy poo poo

lol this fraud was the ISIS expert on cnn

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Sinteres posted:

Ali was his son through marriage, so thanks for agreeing with me.

Doesn’t work that way, otherwise Zaid would be his son too.

Patrilenial descent isn’t an Arab tradition anyway, if Islam were a tribe then either Abu Bakr would inherit because he’s his cousin and thus the next sheik, or he was elected, and thus the next sheik.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Taintrunner posted:

holy poo poo

pssh

i fight 4-5 wars on my dick on a daily basis

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

so the gap between people being designated terrorists and then being murdered is now only a few hours.

but the thing is, it takes several hours at absolute minimum to put together an airstrike. you have to stage the aircraft and fuel the aircraft and put the missiles on it and put together a flight plan and blah blah blah, all sorts of poo poo.

so what that means is that the strike had to have been planned before the targets were actually legally considered terrorists, which means the US first decided to kill them and then manufactured a justification for it ex post facto.

not like they haven't done that before but it's still loving upsetting

during the Vietnam War, the US would have planes flying over Cambodia, observing and spotting potential targets for bombers

thing is, there was a Rules of Engagement restriction on having these planes be used to guide bombing runs, because it might be considered an unwarranted escalation to use planes in another country to act as targeteers for Vietnam-bound sorties

so, these planes would instead broadcast back to a land-based station in Vietnam, then the message would be relayed to another aircraft flying over the Gulf of Tonkin

and the instructions provided to the planes would be calibrated to accurately reflect the time delay in relaying the information from the plane over Cambodia, to the US land base, to the plane over the Gulf, to the bomber

setting up a legal structure for making warmaking more "procedural" and "humane" does not work, because all it does it give people an incentive to create a workaround to let them bomb whoever it is they want to anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

there's a wonderful phrase coined by limousine lib historian Barbara Tuchmann to describe how Austria-Hungary stumbled into the first world war: "the bellicose frivolity of senile empires."