Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I predict that this will be post Gomez and involve some Master logic like "well yes, you were 100% right and you totally got through to me but while I was dying over the next six months I realized that I'd never be as good at being good as you are, and that my antagonism of you made you better at being good, so I'm taking the long view of things and that means back to throwing bombs because it's easier and more effective."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I really enjoyed that, especially now with the knowledge that all the dumb over-the-top stuff (like the satnav going DIE DIE DIE DIE) actually made sense. I love the spy thing as a setting for Doctor vs Master, like of course they need the cheesiest villain possible for their James Bond pastiche.

The only thing I really really didn't like was the Doctor looking at a time bomb and yelling about how she can't stop it while it counts down and then explodes. It just sat the wrong way with me, especially for this Doctor who's very hands-on-mad-scientisty. I don't have a problem with the Master outsmarting her in the moment, I just would have preferred if she had managed to fiddle the bomb into not exploding only for him to reveal that actually the plane is still gonna crash because of something he did while she was distracted with the bomb.

I'm so so so glad that I didn't have the faintest clue the Master would be back at all, I didn't work it out at all even when the show started throwing anvil-sized hints just before he made it 100% clear who he was, because I was just so not expecting it even the slightest. Why is the house flying? Why is he putting that weird emphasis on spyMaster? How come his personality is totally different just because the Doctor picked up on one weird inconsistency??????

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 3, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Not to drat with faint praise, but that was easily Chibnall's best episode.

Side note: was the audio mix fluctuating for anybody else? It was odd.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That wasn’t bad at all! I got spoiled on the reveal because I couldn’t watch the episode on airing, and the BBC Doctor Who Facebook page decided 24 hours was more than sufficient to have caught up so put up a video with the reveal and Sacha Dhawan giving the history of the Master. :argh:

I really liked his little ‘hi!’ wave. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/doctorwho_bbca/status/1212887295440769024

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 3, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

Not to drat with faint praise, but that was easily Chibnall's best episode.

Side note: was the audio mix fluctuating for anybody else? It was odd.

I noticed that too, particularly during Yaz and Ryan’s conversation on the porch.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
O's scenes are way better knowing who he his. I loved the bit where he summarized what was going on - that someone was kidnapping the world's spies and turning them into aliens and how that didn't make any sense. Makes about as much sense as any of the Master's other schemes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

There was a lot to like in this for me:
- the alien environment, whilst being really simple, felt properly alien. There was something very unsettling about it, and it worked very well.

- Also the aliens themselves look great.

- Lenny Henry was surprisingly good, playing his part completely straight, with decent menace.

- Watching the Master deciding for 1.7 seconds whether to keep the charade up or just get to the big fun reveal already.

- The Master having a complete mint collection of the Fortean Times, which I absolutely feel is down to him, and not the character he’s putting on.

It also begs the question, what does the FT even look like in the Whoniverse? The Doctor themselves must be a recurring thread of discussion within its issues, along with the various alien sightings. ‘Mysterious Lighthouse Disappearances - we go over the similarities of the Eilean Mor Case with that of Fang Rock’

Of course, I also have issues:

- I really don’t like the idea of scrapping UNIT completely. The Doctor doesn’t always have to run straight to them in every crisis, but it never hurt to have them just pottering away in the background, unaware of this or that incursion.

- I might have liked another instance of the Doctor picking up on that something was up with O before he reveals all his cards.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo that Master reveal.

:discourse:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I honestly thought Yaz got shrunk down into the carpet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

- I really don’t like the idea of scrapping UNIT completely. The Doctor doesn’t always have to run straight to them in every crisis, but it never hurt to have them just pottering away in the background, unaware of this or that incursion.

I was kind of tired of Kate Stewart and I've been over Osgood since she debuted so it's no big loss in my eyes. Bring back classic UNIT, shoot first, ask questions later.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had no idea that Osgoode had fans

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The reveal was great, but then he started giggling and bouncing around, which...wasn't that great

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1213115776263213058

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 3, 2020

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

- I might have liked another instance of the Doctor picking up on that something was up with O before he reveals all his cards.

On that point, was there something establishing that O was supposed to be a great sprinter or something that I missed prior to the reveal? That moment felt like the Doctor pulling some random factoid out of the ether and everyone treating it as fact, which works for technobabble but less so for individual character history.

I don't mind the idea of the Master being under everyone's nose the whole time, and I do like Sacha Dhawan as an actor and am excited to see what he'll do with the character, but it feels like the writers weren't really playing fair with the reveal here. It just felt clumsily executed, and more like a twist for the sake of having a twist than an earned story beat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unkempt posted:

I honestly thought Yaz got shrunk down into the carpet.

Thank god I'm not the only one.

Vinylshadow posted:

The reveal was great, but then he started giggling and bouncing around, which...wasn't that great

I can't disagree more. First off, it's revealing what this Master is going to be like. Straight up uncontrollably giddy about besting the Doctor. Second, he's been working this angle for years, and it's finally paying off. Why shouldn't he completely lose his poo poo with happiness?

One thing though, why does he think this means the Doctor will finally die? Even if she was still on the plane when it crashes, wouldn't she just regenerate?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrawn527 posted:

One thing though, why does he think this means the Doctor will finally die? Even if she was still on the plane when it crashes, wouldn't she just regenerate?

The last time the Doctor was on a vessel that crashed he was hurt so badly he needed a magic potion to jumpstart the regeneration.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Can Time Lords regenerate from being smushed by 90,000 lbs of passenger plane?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rhyno posted:

The last time the Doctor was on a vessel that crashed he was hurt so badly he needed a magic potion to jumpstart the regeneration.

I think I heard that the novelisation of Day Of The Doctor retconned that- the regeneration was already about to begin and they were just psyching him up to regenerate into the kind of person he needed to be, and the "potion" was lemonade

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I ain't readin' no books.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Doctor can definitely die before regeneration kicks in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d imagine decapitation would prevent regeneration?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I’d imagine decapitation would prevent regeneration?

Or we get a Doctor with a tiny head and one with a tiny body.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So that's how we're going to get the Valeyard...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I find 14s constant "I don't know" and "I dont understand"-ing really annoying. It feels very un-Doctory to be constantly admitting a gap in her knowledge like that. I'm all for the Doctor being stunned and confused when something bonkers happens (and Tennant's "what?!?" face is almost as good as Whittakers) but it just gets tiresome when it happens all the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Class3KillStorm posted:

On that point, was there something establishing that O was supposed to be a great sprinter or something that I missed prior to the reveal?

From memory there were at least a couple of scenes where the Doctor mentioned how she'd never met O but had read up on his file and knew lots of details about him, though I can't remember specifics at the moment and maybe I just filled in that gap in my own head.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I know it was a throwaway but - the Master's naughty little smile when asking if Graham wanted to look at his shelf of files on the Doctor makes me wonder what was in there.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

evenworse username posted:

I know it was a throwaway but - the Master's naughty little smile when asking if Graham wanted to look at his shelf of files on the Doctor makes me wonder what was in there.

I wish that scene had cut away so it was left ambiguous whether Graham did go through them.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I do hope it being the Master isn't just an excuse to have the plot/resolution not make any sense

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and holding out for part 2, but the Master being the Master is doing a lot of work right now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope Graham goes the distance with 13 so he can see her regenerate, I think it'd great to have him see that she wasn't fooling with them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I find 14s constant "I don't know" and "I dont understand"-ing really annoying. It feels very un-Doctory to be constantly admitting a gap in her knowledge like that. I'm all for the Doctor being stunned and confused when something bonkers happens (and Tennant's "what?!?" face is almost as good as Whittakers) but it just gets tiresome when it happens all the time.

This actually didn't occur to me, but now that you mention it, I like it. This Doctor is someone who actually can outright admit that she doesn't know something, rather than bullshitting with what little they do know. It's ultimately a difference of degrees, Thirteen still knows about as much and is just less willing to jump to conclusions, but it shows a humility that most Doctors just don't have.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's kind of funny, but I generally dislike it when Tom Baker or David Tennant end up standing around giving speeches about the sentient slug people they've just encountered as if they're the basis behind every dark legend that underpins society. Particularly since neither those legends or those slug people are even seen or heard from again.

My favourite part of the Virgin era (and to a lesser extent, the BBC books era) was that certain writers would try and take those myths and legends and use them as background radiation to inform the tapestry of the work. Made all those spoooõoky legends about the cosmic grasp of whatever or whoever Tom Baker fought that one time actually have some weight to them.

Set Piece, Ace's departure story, is a secret Sutekh story, but neither he nor do any of the elements from Pyramids of Mars make an appearance. Fear Itself is a dalek and ice warrior story, but neither are mentioned by name, and a shadow of an ice warrior turns up maybe once.

I dunno, I see it as adding to the mystery and supporting the integrity of the setting a bit.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Well LOOK WHO HAS THEIR OWN TARDIS.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

thrawn527 posted:

Thank god I'm not the only one.

You got at least one more person that had this idea. Could be because I just re-watched Logopolis the other day, so I had the Master's matter compressor on the brain. But yeah, those tree-like things really looked like giant carpet fibers to me. "Naaaah," I think, "can't be The Master."

Welp. :stare:

Reason #672 I've been with my husband for 17 years: he saw this on Jan 1. Knowing my hatred of spoilers, he has been swallowing that reveal for a good two days and didn't drop a single hint until I finally got to see it tonight. Such a good man. :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Also you didn't make him wait two days, so that goes both ways for sure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Reason #672 I've been with my husband for 17 years: he saw this on Jan 1. Knowing my hatred of spoilers, he has been swallowing that reveal for a good two days and didn't drop a single hint until I finally got to see it tonight. Such a good man. :allears:

Marry him!

Wait.... uhhh... stay married to him!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Haha! Well technically we aren't actually married, but we've been together for so long and are in our late forties, so calling him my "boyfriend" sounds kinda silly. People meet us and say "oh, is this your husband/wife?" and we just kinda nod, it's easier.

Fun Doctor Who related fact: we met back in 2003, before there was even a glimmer of hope of a new series. We're both musicians, met at a show we both played at, and really hit it off on a variety of subjects. Before I said goodnight with a peck on the cheek, I gave him my latest CD, which happened to have a sample of Davros's "The beginning, only the beginning!" rant from Genesis.

By the time I got home after the show, he had already listened to my CD and emailed me with "you sampled Davros! Is there no end to your refulgence?" Between my astonishment at someone recognizing a Davros sample back in the Dark Ages, and making me look up a new vocabulary word... well, I knew I found a winner. And here we are. :kimchi:

(If anyone wants to hear the song:
https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/the-beginning )

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Having been spoiled as to the reveal by the nature of existing on the internet over the past week, I actually really enjoyed the episode. The aliens seemed properly creepy to me and knowing O was actually the Master worked to my advantage maybe, because he had so many little looks he gave on the edge of certain shots in response to The Doctor being clever or figuring something out that read to me as him barely containing his frustration at her nearly figuring it out before he could have his grand reveal or smugly savoring her struggling with it, so the over the top way he flipped into full mania, to have his cake and eat it too just read to me as his celebrating that he pulled this one over on her so well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only really just occurred to me that the Master probably believes with all his hearts that the Doctor "stole" the idea of regenerating into a woman from him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Only really just occurred to me that the Master probably believes with all his hearts that the Doctor "stole" the idea of regenerating into a woman from him.

I hope this means Sascha Darwan is more likely to be the next Doctor, rather than less.

(it means less)

Always loved the actor. Excellent since the first thing I saw him in that Worst Witch sequel series where they go to college and oh god that show was terrible

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Firstthing I saw him in was the NBC sitcom "Outsourced"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Adv In Time and Space for me but didn't realize he was also Davos in Iron Fist and nobody wants to remember that poo poo anyways.