Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ras Het posted:

that "by means of which the pursuit of dishonour is indicated"
lmao :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Magnificent.
Reminds me of the very lofty and elevated language with which Tolkien indicates a character is a total babe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My brow will never be fair enough for JRRT

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wrong thread

Animal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 24, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I would but I’m fresh out of flamingo tongue and dor mice.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The preface specifically mentions leaving out all the stuff involving sow wombs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Continuity RCP posted:

then what even is the point :colbert:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Continuity RCP posted:

Nature's crock pot

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LingcodKilla posted:

I would but I’m fresh out of flamingo tongue and dor mice.

Duck tongue is still a popular snack in China, I wonder if its similar to flamingo tongue.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

I'm not a leftist.

As an actual leftist I can confirm this. Like what the hell, 'Hey Guns is a commie' is a nuclear bad take :shobon:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Duck tongue is still a popular snack in China, I wonder if its similar to flamingo tongue.

Duck tongue just tastes like duck except there's a weird bone or gristly thing in the middle and like a lot of popular snacks in China it's more effort than it's worth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This gem about a samurai getting completely owned deserves to be reposted here:

wiki posted:

A popular incident tells how a commoner bumped into Saiheiji Tomo, treasurer of the Owari-Tokugawa family, and ignored him further when Tomo demanded him to apologize. Feeling merciful, the samurai offered the peasant his wakizashi so he had a chance to defend himself, but instead, the commoner decided to run away with his wakizashi, causing further dishonor. The incident resulted in Tomo being disowned from the Owari-Tokugawa clan. He later regained his honor by seeking out the commoner, collecting the wakizashi and killing the whole family.[5]

I only wish it had a happier ending.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

This gem about a samurai getting completely owned deserves to be reposted here:

I only wish it had a happier ending.

It was a happy ending for Tomo, at least. Less so for the commoner.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
What a lame move giving the untrained peasant the smaller weapon

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

a honorable man pushed to the edge. why do peasants always have to be so terrible?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tbh the peasant got what he deserved; apologise if you bump into someone, especially if that someone is gonna kill you and your family if you don’t

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm like a thousand percent sure that discussing how a particular late medieval individual fits into modern gender schemes so bleeding edge that even the people they describe don't agree on them is a fruitless discussion capable only of obfuscating its object.

You have a very flawed and condescending understanding of transgender issues past and present and how history relates to modern gender. You should shut the gently caress up and stop making a fool of yourself and go read some queer theory before opening your mouth again

Alternatively keep digging a hole

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

When did people start calling it "the bird"? Is that an English-language thing?

In Germany, it's "Der Finger" / "The finger", so it's definitely not used here. (For extra confusion, showing someone "the bird" / "den Vogel zeigen" is a completely different gesture in German, where you are tipping your forefinger at your forehead. It signifies that you think someone is an idiot.)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

You have a very flawed and condescending understanding of transgender issues past and present and how history relates to modern gender. You should shut the gently caress up and stop making a fool of yourself and go read some queer theory before opening your mouth again

Alternatively keep digging a hole

please don't come into this thread, my safe space, bringing negativity. If you disagree with someone here don't tell them to shut up, talk to them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Quick question for you latin goons. I may be starting up a geoscience business educating people about foraging, and I would like to call it Terra Cognita.

Am I right in the assumption that if Terra Incognita means 'unknown earth' then Terra Cognita would mean 'learned-of earth' or 'known earth' ? Probably not, right, but would it make any sense, if only as a pun?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tias posted:

Am I right in the assumption that if Terra Incognita means 'unknown earth' then Terra Cognita would mean 'learned-of earth' or 'known earth' ? Probably not, right, but would it make any sense, if only as a pun?

Yes. It's been used quite a few times before. https://www.google.com/search?q=%22...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
"Known world" is a phrase in common usage, and "terra cognita" seems like a reasonably close latin version.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Pity you're probably not not making another goon front for the CIA, De Rei Frumentariae would have been an excellent name.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Old Spice?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lynx? Some emperor got killed by a cute little Lynx? :psyduck:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Libluini posted:

He tried having sex with it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Libluini posted:

I think the intent here is a pun on "Caracalla," who killed his brother and co-emperor Geta.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eurasian Lynxes are pretty big by cat standards.

Still really hard to get killed by one.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

happy new year thread

after the festivities I was reading Vitruvius's book On Architecture and I was amused to find that overbilling is apparently a problem as old as contracting:

quote:

In the magnificent and spacious Grecian city of Ephesus an antientº law was made by the ancestors of the inhabitants, hard indeed in its nature, but nevertheless equitable. When an architect was entrusted with the execution of a public work, an estimate thereof being lodged in the hands of a magistrate, his property was held, as security, until the work was finished. If, when finished, the expense did not exceed the estimate, he was complimented with decrees and honours. So when the excess did not amount to more than a fourth part of the original estimate, it was defrayed by the public, and no punishment was inflicted. But when more than one-fourth of the estimate was exceeded, he was required to pay the excess out of his own pocket.

2. Would to God that such a law existed among the Roman people, not only in respect of their public, but also of their private buildings, for then the unskilful could not commit their depredations with impunity, and those who were the most skilful in the intricacies of the art would follow the profession.

Also looking more broadly at some history of architecture stuff, it makes me wonder a bit about some modern practices. Today you can't lay the foundation of a house without many kilograms of steel reinforcing, nor put down a ground floor without a reinforced concrete pad. Of course before 150 years ago none of this was true and virtually no houses had any concrete or reinforcement. Rather than concrete, a Roman was a base of tamped earth over laid by cobbles, then with a layer of "rubbish" (I assume crushed brick? would probably be the modern substitute) mixed with lime onto which tiles and mosaics were overlaid. I'm pretty sure the modern foundations are stronger and take up less space, but I wonder if there's any reason, besides maybe cost, we couldn't build Roman style ground floors today.

Then of course in traditional Japanese domestic architecture, the house isn't even fixed to a foundation at all. Instead the house rests entirely on beams which are fitted to large stones. This helps give them a great deal of resilience to earthquakes. I'm sure there must be some drawbacks of course, I just can't think of them off hand.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Apologies in advance:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Apologies in advance:

Are you proud of yourself?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cool maps i found:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm the WOOL(?)

also let me make a cisternpost

here's a guy taking a picture of an ancient Caucasian cistern (it's hard to image search 'ancient cistern' because of a level in a zelda game)

is that an incredibly tiny animal on the right of the image, or is it on another mountain peak? probably the latter since there isn't any magic in the world

edit: oh poo poo, here's an actually good picture of a 3,000 year old cistern (haaretz article) in israel:

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 2, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

i'm the WOOL(?)

also let me make a cisternpost

here's a guy taking a picture of an ancient Caucasian cistern (it's hard to image search 'ancient cistern' because of a level in a zelda game)

If you do a search and subtract Zelda and Tomb Raider you can get better results.

"ancient cistern" -"zelda" -"tomb raider"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

oystertoadfish posted:

i'm the WOOL(?)

I just want to know who was making jets.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

I just want to know who was making jets.

i believe that refers to a kind of coal used for gemstone carving

Unrelated but I was reading some more Vitruvius and in the middle of a chapter on how to weather proof homes he goes on a weird racist tangent which is extremely funny in the way his stereotypes of different people are exactly the opposite of Victorian writers:

quote:

So moreover, from the clearness of the atmosphere, aided also by the intense heat, the southern nations are more ready and quick in expedients: but the northern nations, oppressed by a gross atmosphere, and cooled by the moisture of the air, are of duller intellect. That this is so, may be proved from the nature of serpents, which in the hot season, when the cold is dispelled by the heat, move with great activity, but in the rainy and winter seasons, from the coldness of the air, they become torpid. Hence it is not surprising that man's intellect should be sharpened by heat and blunted by a cold atmosphere.

Though, however, the southern nations are quick in understanding, and sagacious in council, yet in point of valour they are inferior, for the sun absorbs their animal spirits. Those, on the contrary, who are natives of cold climates are more courageous in war, and fearlessly attack their enemies, though, rushing on without consideration or judgment, their attacks are repulsed and their designs frustrated. Since, then, nature herself has provided throughout the world, that all nations should differ according to the variation of the climate, she has also been pleased that in the middle of the earth, and of all nations, the Roman people should be seated;

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically it's a form of fossilized wood, but chemically it's probably about the same as coal.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's a type of lignite coal (brown coal). It's just particularly solid and conducive to carving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scarodactyl posted:

It's a type of lignite coal (brown coal). It's just particularly solid and conducive to carving.

I usually use ligma coal in mine.