Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

If I morality test every bit of media I consume I will be left with nothing and gently caress it the lotr movies are extremely cool and good and the level of effort put in is rare as poo poo in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I haven't seen any of the Peter Jackson movies. I assume they haven't aged well either?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Depends on your definition. The cgi looks a bit dated but not horrifically so because they only used it when they had too, and otherwise did a giant amount of practical effects. They used makeup, masks, full body prosthetics, miniatures, had real blacksmiths make real versions of the swords for non fight scenes, made actual armor, etc. Nearly all of the main orc dudes are people in makeup/prosthetics. Like there is a scene where Gandalf meets Saruman, and the background tower is the 8 foot tall miniature they made, just filmed up close and inserted into the scene, instead of just cgi.

They actually put thought into character design and a poo poo ton of effort into things like the costumes, on the correct logic that by making the actor feel more like their character, they will get a better performace. For example the ringwraiths black cloaks are actually embroidered all over because they should be "kingly." Theoden's breastplate has a leather stitched sun motif on the inside and the actor remarked how it actually made him feel like a king because that's the kind of thing only a king would have.

Contrast this to Lucas, at the same time, putting cgi'd heads onto cgi stormtrooper bodies.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I dont know if I'm more disappointed about the last episode of Mando or the war with Iran.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the level of effort put in is rare as poo poo in Hollywood.

do you think most movies are lazy or something

or dare i say hamfisted

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I mean yeah is that somehow a controversial take?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Contrast this to Lucas, at the same time, putting cgi'd heads onto cgi stormtrooper bodies.

The prequels are so loving bad and lazy. You may as well watch cartoons. Like seriously, just commit and animate the whole loving thing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Clone Wars cartoon, while it had plenty of issues, is just parsecs beyond the prequels.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My dad just got a book by Bernard-Henri Lévy. I remember him being controversial but don't actually know anything about him. What's his deal?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randler posted:

I haven't seen any of the Peter Jackson movies. I assume they haven't aged well either?

Bad Taste is OKish I guess?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nrook posted:

My dad just got a book by Bernard-Henri Lévy. I remember him being controversial but don't actually know anything about him. What's his deal?

oh boy

BHL was the heir apparent to the existentialist tendency in french philosophy when sartre died. he used this position to launch himself into french high society (you know, the segment where you no longer actually have to do anything) whereupon he stopped actually thinking beyond the 'dude at an afterparty' level. he's a friend of the MSF guy and became a big proponent of humanitarian interventionism, culminating in vociferous support for the iraq war. now he's just your bog-standard fallen leftie - he's not an idiot but incredibly lazy, to the point where he got tricked into thinking that 'botulism' was an early modern french intellectual tendency because he couldn't be arsed to google anything

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks Lenin. France is such a foreign place to me as an American where a philosopher can just opine on foreign policy and be taken seriously in elite society. I guess it's probably better than the traditions of American elite society, but it's hard for me to grasp nonetheless.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

there's intellectually lazy leftist assholes in american society that just slid into neo-conservatism too you know

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

lol 10 pages in he’s complaining the US is doing nothing to stop Soleimani. Ah interventionism.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/ChaunceyGardner/status/1213162170000838661

getting drug tested for nicotine, thank god

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 3, 2020

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In addition to being a fallen leftist/neocon type didn't he keep hating homos well after it became fashionable in elite circles to welcome people of all orientations as long as they are white Male and rich?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

leftists being suspect of LGBTQ issues as neoliberal bullshit isn't just limited to olds sadly

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

fauna posted:

happy new year, i finally just sent off another random solicited email to a complete stranger in eastern europe asking if he's my uncle and this one's like a, genetic biophysician or something, i'm so nervous waiting for a response

How exciting, I hope you hear back soon!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/hannahgais/status/1213186988020576258

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

context pls

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

seth abramson is a resistance grifter

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1213157572552929280
☝️

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

the paradigm shift posted:

seth abramson is a resistance grifter

A tectonic shift from his initial rise to fame as the "Actually, Bernie is beating Hillary and here's how" guy.

Though not the other one who went into weird as gently caress erotica and whose name escapes me rn

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

there is peace in australia, it is just localised entirely within this blanket

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

current mood: https://wh0.github.io/2020/01/02/scissors.html

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
cined really hates the chinese … it's weird

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If I morality test every bit of media I consume I will be left with nothing and gently caress it the lotr movies are extremely cool and good and the level of effort put in is rare as poo poo in Hollywood.

you get why a new zealander might feel differently though, right

exmarx posted:

cined really hates the chinese … it's weird

CD gets really defensive about any accusation that the thing they like might be racist too, it's such a bad forum

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 4, 2020

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
director: throws tantrum and gets employment relations entitlements for film workers destroyed, on false pretences
director: funds the election of an anti-immigrant mayor because they oppose the same property development

amerikkkan goon: bbut i like the movie

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im bad at hating things i should

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

theyre not even good movies

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Berke Negri posted:

theyre not even good movies

Based solely on the Director's Cut runtimes, I agree.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

lol this soleimani clusterfuck is so bad

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

lol this soleimani clusterfuck is so bad

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1213102867529261058

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

God, the keening wail that she’s never going to stop emitting once Bernie gets elected will be exquisite.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Majorian posted:

God, the keening wail that she’s never going to stop emitting once Bernie gets elected will be exquisite.

He won't.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
sky's dark because of the australian fires. cool.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Like smoke in the distance or full cover? (Assuming NZ sky.)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
overcast and slightly yellow where i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Randler posted:

He won't.