Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Celexi posted:

They or their proxies will likely do something spectacular in the region that will bad for the US, but how soon that is is impossible to know and at the moment I don't think they would do any action against US territory.

It doesn't really matter. They could blow up a US aircraft carrier or insult dipshit on twitter. Either way he will see it as an aggression and double down until the Iranian government has no choice but to do something crazy big.

And how that goes, imo, is that the United States goes to war, NATO breaks with some countries supporting and some not, so NATO will be gone, Putin and China join Iran to help fight and then we have WW3. Which, looking back on the past 3+ years of situations seems to be Putin's goal. And that is a bad thing since I believe he might have thought this through and planned for it while dipshit is still at his goddamn golf course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Lightning Knight posted:

That is probably the incident I’m thinking of and I was being too flippant/imprecise. I apologize.

On the other hand:

https://www.rollcall.com/news/u-s-military-texted-doctors-without-borders-during-bombing

No apology needed! I'm looking into becoming a supply pilot for MSF and similar programs, and I'd really prefer to not be shot down, is all. :)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

1glitch0 posted:

It doesn't really matter. They could blow up a US aircraft carrier or insult dipshit on twitter. Either way he will see it as an aggression and double down until the Iranian government has no choice but to do something crazy big.

And how that goes, imo, is that the United States goes to war, NATO breaks with some countries supporting and some not, so NATO will be gone, Putin and China join Iran to help fight and then we have WW3. Which, looking back on the past 3+ years of situations seems to be Putin's goal. And that is a bad thing since I believe he might have thought this through and planned for it while dipshit is still at his goddamn golf course.

The situation is unquestionably bad but also this kind of Tom Clancy bullshit isn’t necessary, and Putin is not a loving James Bond villain with precognition.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

1glitch0 posted:

Stop.

That is loving ridiculous

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

The situation is unquestionably bad but also this kind of Tom Clancy bullshit isn’t necessary, and Putin is not a loving James Bond villain with precognition.

In fact, if anything, Putin seems to be pretty clever tactician with a pretty poor ability to anticipate long term consequences to short term gains, like how snatching the Crimea made Russia a firm international outcast, or how a bunch of Olympic glory resulted in multiple years of Russia being banned from competition.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Sending 3,500 more troops to the region is definitely bad but it would probably take the entire US military to launch an invasion of Iran.l Who knows, maybe even a draft would be necessary.

US would need two to three million men to successfully invade Iran given the population and terrain. Would absolutely require a draft and 30-36 month build up to even launch the initial assault. Obviously not going to happen.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/1213291335534469120

Remember, this gently caress head is a "never trumper"

Haha, what a lame argument. What, was Obama supposed to throw on a tan suit and Superman fly to Florida to stop dumbshit from doing an insanely stupid thing?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

1glitch0 posted:

I knew all this time Putin was just angling to see his own country bathed in nuclear flame by starting WWIII

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Also Russia stood by and let it happen when Israel was bombing Iranian assets in Syria. They are not allies with Iran, they just have some aligned interests. Getting a whole bunch of their people killed for Iran isn't one of them. It's not the sort of conflict the Russian public would care about.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The Glumslinger posted:

I wonder if it's actually Pelosi or the group of 5-10 chucklefucks who have been trying to derail it the whole time

It's Pelosi.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

1glitch0 posted:

Haha, what a lame argument. What, was Obama supposed to throw on a tan suit and Superman fly to Florida to stop dumbshit from doing an insanely stupid thing?

The President of the DEEP STATE is supposed to be on the job 24/7.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Charlz Guybon posted:

US would need two to three million men to successfully invade Iran given the population and terrain. Would absolutely require a draft and 30-36 month build up to even launch the initial assault. Obviously not going to happen.

We built up to attack Iraq in what, 12 - 18 months? I'm sure we can get it done in 6, if even less than that if we really set our minds to it. Granted that Trump would be doing all the preparations it might take even longer.

Also the only real conceivable corridor to attack Iran / Tehran is through Iraq, and given how utterly pissed they are we would likely need to fully invade and occupy it yet again as a staging area

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Luckyellow posted:

Isn't he mocking the Examiner? I mean, maybe I am giving him too much credit but that's how it seems to me.

No, he's a moron and saying he would rather have Trump handling Iran policy than Obama.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
If you believe the Iranian expat foreign policy talking heads on MSNBC which I'm inclined to give more credence to than Max Boot, Iran will definitely retaliate with violence, probably on a soft target we'd last suspect. They have agents around the world.

I also expect lots of unrest and violence in Iraq

poo poo's bad

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/OKnox/status/1213219771178770432

Yep they have no god drat idea what they’re doing. Trump honestly though he’d blow up this dude and that would be the end of it let the praise roll in.
How does that first answer not lead to the 2nd answer being "yes we do." ???

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
'World War III' Trends as Hawks Rejoice at Trump Decision to Assassinate Iranian Military Leader
commondreams.org/January 03, 2020
"As peace advocates voiced alarm at the very real prospect of all-out conflict with Iran following the assassination Thursday night of that country's top military leader on orders from U.S. President Donald Trump, war hawks who have had their crosshairs trained on Iran for years enthusiastically celebrated Trump's decision—and even suggested the president should go further by targeting the nation's oil refineries."

Marco Rubio
Tom Cotton
Jim Risch
Ben Sasse

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Do you suppose Putin had no idea or no plan or no no spoon stirring this stew?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

We built up to attack Iraq in what, 12 - 18 months? I'm sure we can get it done in 6, if even less than that if we really set our minds to it. Granted that Trump would be doing all the preparations it might take even longer.

Also the only real conceivable corridor to attack Iran / Tehran is through Iraq, and given how utterly pissed they are we would likely need to fully invade and occupy it yet again as a staging area

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but, why would be able to build up an invasion force for Iran vastly swifter than we were able to build up for Iraq?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I don't think anything major will happen between now and Monday.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Sorry to interrupt, but I lost the link to the old effortpost about invading Iran in the last 40 pages. Could I bother someone for a link? There's a Redditor throwing around something similar on my FB and I'm wondering if it's just a copy or there's some other angles to it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UnknownTarget posted:

I don't think anything major will happen between now and Monday.
Well hopefully not because the Orange Baby needs to get his golfing in before he begrudgingly goes back to Washington to do 'work' (read- tweeting)

God forbid Iran interrupts his tee shot by bombing a military base or something

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Did President Trump Say U.S. Generals Were ‘Better Looking Than Tom Cruise, and Stronger’?
snopes.com/
'Early in 2018, the 45th president famously dismissed claims that his mental state was “unstable” and that he routinely demonstrated a lack of competency for the duties of his office by insisting he was a “very stable genius,” and “like, really smart.”

In January 2019, a meme emerged online that appeared to show President Trump paying U.S. military leaders the somewhat bizarre compliment of being “better looking than Tom Cruise, and stronger,” while marveling at the quality of a Pentagon meeting room. The anti-Trump, pro-labor union Facebook page “Union Thugs” then posted the meme, which was shared widely:"'

“I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals. They were like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise, and stronger. And I had more generals than I’ve ever seen, and we were at the bottom of this incredible room. I said ‘This is the greatest room I’ve ever seen."
"The quotation is complete and authentic. President Trump made the remarks during a lengthy, sprawling public cabinet meeting at the White House, which the New York Times labelled “freewheeling and fact-free.”

Seventy-nine minutes into the meeting, a reporter asked President Trump whether he had a timeline in mind for the withdrawal of American troops from Syria, a policy decision Trump announced in December 2018 which prompted the almost immediate resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.

The president did not answer that question but instead responded by criticizing former President Barack Obama’s record on U.S. military involvement in Syria, reiterating his own desire to withdraw troops from the country (calling it “sand and death”) and asserting that American military efforts to defeat ISIS in Syria had primarily benefited Iran, Russia, and the authoritarian regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The president then strayed into a tangent about Iran, saying it was “a much different country to what it was when I became president."'....

Check your snow tires.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Otteration posted:

i don't think trump needs putin to tell him to do something utterly loving stupid that will result in immense suffering.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well hopefully not because the Orange Baby needs to get his golfing in before he begrudgingly goes back to Washington to do 'work' (read- tweeting)

God forbid Iran interrupts his tee shot by bombing a military base or something

It's the weekend, which, weirdly, the entire world seems to slow down or stop if they're not during a workweek. Plus, Iran is going through three days of mourning for their general, so they are unlikely to interrupt that with an attack. Finally, they need to plan and organize.

Monday/Tuesday is probably when we'll see them move at all.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Meridian posted:

At what point are insane orders like this going to be refused?

Mattis refused orders for a massive attack on Syria, but Mattis ain't there anymore.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

i don't think trump needs putin to tell him to do something utterly loving stupid that will result in immense suffering.

True, but Putin could be the last goon in the ear canal that the poo poo smear heard. That Putin knew nothing before, during, or after today remains to be established.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

1glitch0 posted:

The US attacking Iran doesn't have to involve NATO. Remember that the UK had a fun little war in South America without NATO being involved.

I mean, Donny could certainly try an invoke Article 5 for a war he started but that probably isn't going anywhere. Which is assuming we actually get into an actual war with Iran, which isn't that likely. We'll just be proxy warring all over the place, which also doesn't involve NATO.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm actually a little surprised I haven't seen much news on other countries reacting to this yet. Like the entire loving world is waiting with its breath held.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFFOUkipI4U

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Otteration posted:

True, but Putin could be the last goon in the ear canal that the poo poo smear heard. That Putin knew nothing before, during, or after today remains to be established.

oh come off this nonsense.

blowing up a bad man to make him feel like a big boy is 100% within trumps normal behavior. stop trying to blame the loving russians for the murderous rot that infects this country!

it's completely goddamn home grown

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Which Clancy book was it where at the end the US drops a bomb on the Ayatollah of Iran and it's like played live on TV as it occurs during a briefing by the President?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This logic is wild.

"They're killers, they like killing, so that means they're cool with us killing one of their killers, because they approve of killing in general. And so they won't kill our killers."

"An eye for an eye leaves me the bigliest winner, just the best, the blindest man, the king blind man"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm actually a little surprised I haven't seen much news on other countries reacting to this yet. Like the entire loving world is waiting with its breath held.

They know if they tell Trump to back off and scold him for assassinating an Iranian general he will get mad and do something ten times worse.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Crazyweasel posted:

Very nice of LA Times to enable noted morons to distance themselves from “Trump’s decision” as if they never thought that he would go for the big strong man option and to an above posters point, definitely didn’t brief it in a way that made that the “sexy” option

My Government is full of the worst kind of loving grifters

I imagine they just launched into the route speech from Yes Minister that they give to every president and he picked the sixth option

quote:

Jim Hacker: Humphrey, do you think it is a good idea to issue a statement?
Sir Humphrey: Well, Minister, in practical terms we have the usual six options. One: do nothing. Two: issue a statement deploring the speech. Three: lodge an official protest. Four: cut off aid. Five: break off diplomatic relations. And six: declare war.
Hacker: Which should be it?
Sir Humphrey: Well, if we do nothing, that means we implicitly agree with the speech. If we issue a statement, we'll just look foolish. If we lodge a protest, it'll be ignored. We can't cut off aid, because we don't give them any. If we break off diplomatic relations, then we can't negotiate the oil rig contracts. And if we declare war, it might just look as though we were over-reacting.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Otteration posted:

so you think that Putin asked Trump to attack one of Russia's primary allies for ???? reasons

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k4_fjCv-Tk

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

What's this? I don't want to click random youtube links

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
seems to be a livestream dunking on the dem primary candidate's incredibly lovely response to the war

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1213302266654003202

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1213279794139455488

Carlson tearing into the hawks - truly a worst person you know situation
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1213280575362150410

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Veryslightlymad posted:

Israel is the only one I remember seeing, and yeah it was pretty obvious what their position would be. Honestly the situation is so weirdly hosed why issue a statement if you don't have to. There is no upsides, only downsides. I guess something like "we are monitoring the situation closely" is bland enough not to offend either side.

I'm sure most of the normal US allies are just desperately hoping they wont get caught up in this poo poo show.