Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This loving sucks I hate living through the great filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Stevefin posted:

A warning for those that maybe see the Prime Ministers tweet/fb post or whatever, do not donate through that, none of it will go to fire fighters, but to the coalition member fund.

https://twitter.com/matttburke/status/1213359418613489666?s=19

Our PM is Mr Burns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stevefin posted:

A warning for those that maybe see the Prime Ministers tweet/fb post or whatever, do not donate through that, none of it will go to fire fighters, but to the coalition member fund.

Apparently they've already removed the donate button in that link, but it was still a lovely look

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

People leaving at the last minute place themselves in extreme danger. They roast to death in their cars.

Really that message isn’t saying that staying home is safe, it’s saying that leaving is no longer an option.

Thanks but my question was more about how do you prepare for a cataclysm like this. But the link above helped.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

That's where our friend Goon the firefighter is. That's the freeway link between Melbourne and Sydney.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
https://www.facebook.com/DrawThatFosdike/posts/10162794309760324

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

the piss-weak PM

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
did research into fireproof bunkers a while back and they start at like 100k not including earth works and I'm pretty sure those are the cheap lovely ones that would still probably wind up with you dead in a serious firestorm.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Live cam of The Basin & Kosciuszko Track looks like it's from Mars right now;
https://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/nsw/thredbo/thredbo-kosciuszkotrack.html

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/1213362221901705217

The coolchange is hitting eastern Aus and with that a change in the wind direction, which means fires will be spreading to new areas and fire crews can't fight it until the winds die down.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
One of the noteworthy things about Mt Hotham is that it's one of the few places in Australia that has never once gotten above 30 °C (86 °F) in recorded history. Anyway, it's on fire

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

loving hell, we're not even halfway through summer yet

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jwwr/status/1213369562499928064

awwwww yeahhhhhh

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1213367294161608704

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I moved to Australia just under a year ago and left after just a few months because the people as a whole were the most inhospitable and unscrupulous I've ever met, and I've done a lot of traveling. I'm not surprised that this is the government they elected. Australia had such amazing natural splendor which I was lucky enough to experience firsthand just a few months ago before it was transformed into burning hellscapes. The sad thing is the majority of Australians are completely complicit with the government and industries that have helped contribute to what's happening now. I really hope that this is a wakeup call for the country and the rest of the planet; that the good people there do prevail, but you've certainly got your work cut out for you. I don't envy you or like your chances, but I sincerely wish you good luck on the very difficult battles ahead of you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gently caress off

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kasumeat posted:

I moved to Australia just under a year ago and left after just a few months because the people as a whole were the most inhospitable and unscrupulous I've ever met, and I've done a lot of traveling. I'm not surprised that this is the government they elected. Australia had such amazing natural splendor which I was lucky enough to experience firsthand just a few months ago before it was transformed into burning hellscapes. The sad thing is the majority of Australians are completely complicit with the government and industries that have helped contribute to what's happening now. I really hope that this is a wakeup call for the country and the rest of the planet; that the good people there do prevail, but you've certainly got your work cut out for you. I don't envy you or like your chances, but I sincerely wish you good luck on the very difficult battles ahead of you.

gently caress up oval office

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/5AvnRegtAusArmy/status/1213370399292973056?s=19

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Agrikk posted:

Thanks but my question was more about how do you prepare for a cataclysm like this. But the link above helped.

For the curious, there's been stories coming out of the fires where people have hidden in kilns or coffins of fireproof material while the fire blows over.

There is a building standard for fire shelters in Australia, but my understanding is that no company is actually building fire shelters that meet the standard. So... Even if you want an up to code fire shelter you're SOL unless you're really keen on DIYing ISO standard fire shelters.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Does anyone know if this claim about underground coal seams is verified elsewhere? :stare:
https://twitter.com/SackettPenny/status/1213364572838432769

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well that's one way of getting rid of the loving coal our government loves so much.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
ah gently caress not the coal! quick, we need $2bn to stop this crisis

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Does anyone know if this claim about underground coal seams is verified elsewhere? :stare:
https://twitter.com/SackettPenny/status/1213364572838432769

Given the amount of coal mining out there it wouldn't surprise if it's true but its pretty hosed all around. Everything up here has been kinda settled today but we'll see what happens with the change later tonight.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Kasumeat posted:

Get hosed you oval office.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Chomp8645 posted:

lol is it actually forum policy that the big C is ok as long as the thread is about Australia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRz8FWPUmpI

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
According to the CFS website, the shaded region is burnt area, so that's a lot of Kangaroo Island. The western third of the island, Flinders Chase National Park, is a pretty important area for endangered species. No scale bar but the island is 145 km/90 miles long

Vladimir Poutine fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 4, 2020

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
found out my great aunt and uncle in silverdale had fire up to across the street from them before Christmas, my uncle refused to evacuate until a man told him to because he's an ancient misogynistic prick.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kasumeat posted:

oval office of the dirtiest water

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

found out my great aunt and uncle in silverdale had fire up to across the street from them before Christmas, my uncle refused to evacuate until a man told him to because he's an ancient misogynistic prick.

sorry about your great aunt i'm sure she's lovely

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Scotty from Marketing getting dunked on by piers loving morgan of all people

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

je suis nelligen

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kasumeat posted:

They should call you ankles because you're lower than a oval office.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They should call you ankles because you're lower than a oval office.

lmfao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

My torts lecturer quoted that from a defamation case and it's the only thing I remember from 2nd year law.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

My torts lecturer quoted that from a defamation case and it's the only thing I remember from 2nd year law.

How was the case settled, was truth a successful defence? Like how much of a oval office do you need to be to have a judge and/or a jury of your peers find that, from a legal perspective, you are indeed lower than a oval office. You'd have to be the kind of dickhead who wanders into a bushfire thread to talk about how all aussies are fuckwits and deserve having their country burned down.

ili fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 4, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

that oval office posted:

I got evicted from my apartment in Toronto a few months ago, moved to Australia, got completely hosed over by everybody in a position of power over me there, and fled back to Toronto where if I was to rent the same one bedroom apartment I was living in less than six months ago it will now cost me $2600/mo. :shepicide:

I would live basically anywhere on the planet where I can scrape by and the weather isn't soul-crushing and people are friendly but as a Canadian there are zero options. It sucks, I feel for you OP. :(

From his post in the edmonton thread, I have a feeling poo poo like this happens to this guy all the time and he can't tell that the common denominator is that he's infectious waste masquerading as a person

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

From his post in the edmonton thread, I have a feeling poo poo like this happens to this guy all the time and he can't tell that the common denominator is that he's infectious waste masquerading as a person

Kasumeat posted:

I moved to Australia just under a year ago and left after just a few months because the people as a whole were the most inhospitable and unscrupulous I've ever met.

when everyone you meet is a oval office it means you're the oval office

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Cuntmeat

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ili posted:

How was the case settled, was truth a successful defence? Like how much of a oval office do you need to be to have a judge and/or a jury of your peers find that, from a legal perspective, you are indeed lower than a oval office. You'd have to be the kind of dickhead who wanders into a bushfire thread to talk about how all aussies are fuckwits and deserve having their country burned down.

It was decided by a jury, but it was discussed in court:

quote:

To this end the court has devoted a generous amount of time on the pressing issue of whether the rugby league world did refer to Ray Chesterton as “Ankles”.

Initially there was was uncertainty on the part of the judge and counsel as to the meaning of word, as a nickname. Three definitions were proffered to her Honour: “lower than a oval office, three feet lower than a oval office and lower than a snake”.

Other definitions are in circulation, but it is uncertain whether they will be subject to judicial scrutiny, e.g: so far “up” someone that only the ankles are visible.

2UE has called a number of witnesses who have attested that Chesterton was indeed called “Ankles”. Denis Fitzgerald, the former CEO of the Parramatta Leagues Club, certainly called him that and admitted a a long standing “ill-feeling” towards the plaintiff.

He breezily told the court that he’d twice called Chesterton “Ankles” on radio and shouted out “How’s Ankles” at a media conference at Olympic Park in early 2009.

Clive Evatt for the plaintiff asked Fitzgerald for his understanding of the word Ankles, as a nickname.

According to the Gazette of Law & Journalism’s coverage of the proceedings the exchange went like this:

Fitzgerald: “As a nickname for Mr Chesterton? As a nickname for Mr Chesterton, it’s three foot lower that a oval office.”

Evatt: “So you called him a c-nt?”

Fitzgerald: “No I called him Ankles.”

Evatt: “Yes, but meaning oval office. Is that right? …

Fitzgerald: “Yes.”

Evatt: And you called him that on public radio?”

Fitzgerald: “I called him ‘Ankles’ Chesterton on public radio.”

https://www.crikey.com.au/2010/02/12/2ue-ankle-deep-in-legal-stoush/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fucken lmao that's tops mate.