Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

General Dog posted:

Most of these cats seem pretty happy with their current situation

Yes OK but maybe death is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a bit of an implication in the original stage play with the cats know they are putting on a play for a human audience and none of the stuff is actually happening

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

It really was Skimbleshanks who should have got to die

Skimbleshanks is already living his best life. No rebirth necessary.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Maxwell Lord posted:

Skimbleshanks is already living his best life. No rebirth necessary.

Well, he's the railway cat.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

General Dog posted:

Most of these cats seem pretty happy with their current situation

The general idea is a bunch of the cats trying to win by saying "I'm the best cat. Of the type of cat I am, no one is better" then they all learn a valuable lesson that the one that should win is the girl they all hated and called a slut. Like the lowest of the low should get another chance.

Which like, was a pretty garbled up message when it was the message of the play but is like, even less coherently applied in the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I noticed is that the actors all seemed to have slightly different ideas on how to play cats and at no point did anyone try to get any consistency out of it.

Like, Ian McKellen is licking water from a pan and rubbing up against posts (this frankly killed me) and being very into the "old man cat" quality of Gus. James Corden and Rebel Wilson are just doing their schtick. The cats who are professional dancers mostly focus on that kind of grace in their movement. Jennifer Hudson is absolutely sincere and plays very heartbroken and of course just loving BELTS her song. Taylor Swift and Idris Elba really seem to "get it" the most, playing villains helps, but they vamp and go all panto with it- Swift is acting like she's on stage or in a video, which is normally a bad idea but it's really the only way the material works. I am not sure what Judi Dench is doing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Judi Dench was cast as Jennyanydots and Grizabella in the original London 1981 production, but she had to bail at the last minute. So I think that makes her the only actor in the movie familiar with the original production. I don't know if that would change her approach at all.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd watch an entire movie about Skimbleshanks. I want to know more about his life. I desperately want to see a shot of him as an actual cat in his little pants and hat and with his waxed whisker mustache. I want to see this cat meowing at trains.

I also want to know why he wants to be ritually murdered.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The cats in the original production, because they were all professional dancers, had cat-like grace and elegance and dignity. Even the more comedy cats were treated as dignified (Bustopher Jones) or impressively athletic. Then in the movie you get James Corden saying hiss. It really is a film made by someone who has vaguely heard of cats but never seen one. The film equivalent of medieval drawings of lions or the Horniman walrus

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing I noticed is that the actors all seemed to have slightly different ideas on how to play cats and at no point did anyone try to get any consistency out of it.

Like, Ian McKellen is licking water from a pan and rubbing up against posts (this frankly killed me) and being very into the "old man cat" quality of Gus. James Corden and Rebel Wilson are just doing their schtick. The cats who are professional dancers mostly focus on that kind of grace in their movement. Jennifer Hudson is absolutely sincere and plays very heartbroken and of course just loving BELTS her song. Taylor Swift and Idris Elba really seem to "get it" the most, playing villains helps, but they vamp and go all panto with it- Swift is acting like she's on stage or in a video, which is normally a bad idea but it's really the only way the material works. I am not sure what Judi Dench is doing.

"Touch wood" and then Ian McKellen rubs his head on the post is the only good joke in the entire loving movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pick posted:

There's a bit of an implication in the original stage play with the cats know they are putting on a play for a human audience and none of the stuff is actually happening

The movie very effectively dynamites this by making Victoria into an audience surrogate. If there's any ironic distance involved, she's never initiated into it and so neither are we.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's what makes the final passage so baffling. You ARE talking to us, the humans, now? Okay? When did this happen?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
She's clearly speaking to Rickitipsle, the camera cat.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I think I figured it out.

Jellicle Cats are cats that have been spayed or neutered. This is why the semi-sexuality seems so awkward, and it also explains why the cats are all willing to die -- going to the Heaviside layer means being reincarnated as a cat that can reproduce.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

josh04 posted:

The movie very effectively dynamites this by making Victoria into an audience surrogate. If there's any ironic distance involved, she's never initiated into it and so neither are we.

Unless the human audience they’re playing to is not us as the real audience but a weird, uncanny one within the CATS universe, who find its jokes funny and its cockroach-women beguiling. In the stage show the cats are apart from us, but here we are trapped with them

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
This movie, much like the toxoplasmosis parasite that cats carry, has infected my brain. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it, and I've looked up and listened to the movie soundtrack... I think I...like Cats now?

I'm so confused.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My wife and I saw TROS on New Year's Eve instead of CATS and I can unironically say we made the wrong call. There's no way CATS wouldn't have been a more memorable, interesting and dare I say, entertaining experience.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You can start off the new year the right way by seeing Cats, though...

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

All the composite shots in this film were like the CSO shots in a 70s Doctor Who episode. It’s astonishingly inept.

At this point I assume all the “patches” have gone out but I still saw human hands, rings, at one point a couple of cats are wearing sneakers- and I can’t even tell if those are mistakes because I can’t tell what they’re aiming for. Do they want it to look kinda unreal? Do they want to call attention to the artifice? It’s not committed to an aesthetic so everything just kinda looks wrong.

Are you saying it's to late to see the original trainwreck?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Honestly I don’t think it will ever be too late. There is only so much they can fix (and with the film flopping how much good money can they throw after bad?)

The film is inherently broken.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

there's still sneakers cats and floating cats

feeling cute & having a jellicle day

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Show that to anyone who complained about the current version

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That... actually looks a thousand times better

Even if you dislike anime art styles, having the human face and the cat body both be animated pretty much 100% gets rid of the weird dissonance the movie ended up with

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Or we could stop offending God and as a species swear off cat/human hybrids be they anime or cgi.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

galagazombie posted:

Or we could stop offending God and as a species swear off cat/human hybrids be they anime or cgi.
or flesh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why do you want the cats to be visually appealing, that sucks

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Which do you prefer: Thundercats-style Cats or Braids Cats?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

make the cats all the tigers in that zootopia shakira music video

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Which do you prefer: Thundercats-style Cats or Braids Cats?

Rapping street cat Tugger was terrible.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Counterpoint: offending God is a most noble aim and must continue at all costs

I quite like those designs, and intricate hand animation preserves the "wow, that's impressive that humans can do that" aspect of the stage play in a way the movie did not.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 4, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Still thinking about those sneaker cats.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Sneaker cats were played by Les Twins, extremely famous dancers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

those cats ruuuuled though

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

sethsez posted:

Sneaker cats were played by Les Twins, extremely famous dancers.

Pick posted:

:emptyquote:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Pick posted:

They did indeed.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m sharing a lot of the best posts from this thread with the vfx crew who worked on this movie. Your guys reactions are great and exactly the kind of thing I hoped to see.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Still thinking about those sneaker cats Skimbleshanks: The Railway Cat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the cat of the railway train!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1212846332647395328

(plus https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/01/03/a-conversation-with-the-guy-who-took-mushrooms-and-saw-cats)

https://twitter.com/ianabramson/status/1151977667207372800