Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can you get withdrawal symptoms from chocolate?

I've stopped having chocolate from new years and I've been waking up at odd times with stomach aches that come and go, is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I love some Jam but Corbyn speaking on the Iran thing just provokes countless "Hey you took money from Iran's government" Which is true and was a bad idea.

I know he's being genuine but he's pretty compromised here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the people saying that are morons? That's also an option.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Union membership isn't any kind of commitment at all, just join, and if you feel like leaving, you can (but shouldn't anyway because seriously wtf). The game developers' union is part of IWGB, who are way more radical than most traditional unions so a good shout, but far from perfect (not a great democratic structure, but eh neither are most other unions).

Cardiff person should join both Unite & IWW imo - not that I know anything about Unite or charity unions, but the best union organiser I know is an IWW officer based in Cardiff and works for Unite for his day job so if you dual card you'll definitely have whatever support you need. Also if it's not a well unionised industry, IWW's got a Your Job Your Union campaign going on atm (largely instigated by Cardiff people) so if you feel like any workplace organising yourself you will be well supported.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bardeh posted:

Talking about the BBC and linguistics made me remember the BBC Pidgin service they started a couple of years ago.

I love it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UKMT January 2020 - E be like say dis thing no dey work.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Katt posted:

I love some Jam but Corbyn speaking on the Iran thing just provokes countless "Hey you took money from Iran's government" Which is true and was a bad idea.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pretty sure that's a false equivalence for someone accepting ten thousand pounds from a dictatorship speaking in their defense. Like it was a really really bad thing to do in retrospect. I thought everyone was in agreement about that already.

Criticism of US action against Iran becomes less credible with Corbyn as proxy.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Katt posted:

Criticism of US action against Iran becomes less credible with Corbyn as proxy.
This is true, but he should still do it. The alternative is just not saying anything, which we'd rightfully condemn.

Ideally he'd have just not spoken on Iranian state TV in the first place, but eh, he was just some random left winger looking for a platform back then.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Corbyn taking money from the Iranian government certainly isn't a great look, but then he was deeply compromised anyway having accepted yearly payments to work on behalf of the increasingly corrupt and internationally condemned British regime for decades now.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The "acting secretary of the US Department of Homeland Security" is called "chad wolf" (I actually did a legit double take reading that).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/03/new-york-la-security-attacks-iran-see-something-say-something

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
^^^ the virgin poodle dog v. Chad Wolf

big scary monsters posted:

Corbyn taking money from the Iranian government certainly isn't a great look, but then he was deeply compromised anyway having accepted yearly payments to work on behalf of the increasingly corrupt and internationally condemned British regime for decades now.

In fact he's taken MILLIONS from the UK government in the form of accumulated salary payments over his lifetime

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Skills wallets

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ratjaculation posted:

Skills wallets

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

Seems super dumb for the current leader of the opposition not to respond to political events just because of the inevitable response from wilful and common-or-garden idiots, even if they are outgoing.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
How dare Jeremy Corbyn comment on the annexation of the Sudetenland when he himself is a Czech spy!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't think jeremy corbyn going on iranian telly is what's making the difference for people stanning the US droning everyone they like.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for the replies both regarding Unions. It's given me a point in the right direction. :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm also looking to join up, I'm in software testing.

How long a commitment is union membership, I know there is a games industry union now and would be looking to join that if I ever go back.

Subscriptions are typically monthly, with no ongoing commitment. Most unions will ony help with issues that arose after you joined, though.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/derekedwardsgb/status/1212830830898356224

Direct action starts here people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I mean yeah, why not? As long as you're not chucking them in ditches. The Co-op here usually lets elderly people in the village take them all the way home instead of lugging bags, and that gets repeat custom because they're not going to take it on the bus to go to Tesco.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Where I live they've installed a system that seizes up one of the wheels on the trolley if it goes outside of a certain boundary.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1213440869677903873?s=19

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Used to do that when we lived across the road from the supermarket. Every now and again somebody would go round the gardens and collect them back up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Where I live they've installed a system that seizes up one of the wheels on the trolley if it goes outside of a certain boundary.

Easily defeated with a bit of tape, or just by wheelying it over the line.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Azza Bamboo posted:

There is no limit to how much money capital will spend to make sure no one has a chance to get anything for "free"

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
When Corbyn went on Iranian TV, what sort of line was he actually pushing? He generally seems the type that's willing to talk to anyone, while holding to his own views of peaceful cooperation.
I remember one time this came up, he pointed out that he also regularly goes on the BBC despite not agreeing with them either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Easily defeated with a bit of tape, or just by wheelying it over the line.

I always wondered how those worked, do they put something in the pavement to set it off? Is it just like a big magnet or something that pulls a pin out in the shoe that goes over the wheel?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

We have the same, which means there's a certain way along our local rat bastard street where the radius cuts out and there's always a pileup of trolleys across the pavements.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

When Corbyn went on Iranian TV, what sort of line was he actually pushing? He generally seems the type that's willing to talk to anyone, while holding to his own views of peaceful cooperation.
I remember one time this came up, he pointed out that he also regularly goes on the BBC despite not agreeing with them either.

Iran is by all accounts a semi-hostile dictatorship and he went on their state propaganda TV in exchange for piles of money. And now "the west" has taken action against Iran for mainstream justified reasons and Corbyn is speaking up in defense of Iran.

Just imagine that it was Boris Johnson and he got money from an American private healthcare company for wholly unrelated reasons and now he wants to drop his 2 cents on the best approach to the NHS is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I always wondered how those worked, do they put something in the pavement to set it off? Is it just like a big magnet or something that pulls a pin out in the shoe that goes over the wheel?

The line is an electromagnet, when the trolley goes over it it pulls a magnet on a spring-loaded lever down, which releases the (also spring-loaded) half-shell that rotates down to cover the wheel. Stopping the half shell from moving with a bit of tape gets you round that (the shell locks in the closed position but can be released with the right tool), as does lifting the wheel a couple of feet.

There's a similar mechanism that just locks the wheel directly if you take the trolley onto a travelator (and of course unlocks as you reach the end of it), and there's some smart ones based on RFID that lets shops lock the trolleys at the door if they've not been through the tills (and also detect you trying to tamper with it), but they're expensive enough that I think they only get used in places like Costco where there's serious high-ticket items.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We have the same, which means there's a certain way along our local rat bastard street where the radius cuts out and there's always a pileup of trolleys across the pavements.

Our place used to have flooding until they dredged the local river. 27 tons they took out, a poo poo load of shopping trolleys.
All from the rat bastard street that even the taxis wont go into.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

Just imagine that it was Boris Johnson and he got money from an American private healthcare company for wholly unrelated reasons and now he wants to drop his 2 cents on the best approach to the NHS is.
Yes, that also happened but the press is a lot less vocal about it.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Around here that usually happens in the shops ...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Katt posted:

Iran is by all accounts a semi-hostile dictatorship and he went on their state propaganda TV in exchange for piles of money. And now "the west" has taken action against Iran for mainstream justified reasons and Corbyn is speaking up in defense of Iran.

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've dropped out on the news over the last few days. Are we at war yet?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Rarity posted:

I've dropped out on the news over the last few days. Are we at war yet?

Yes, with the bourgeois class, Comrade Rarity.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I think we should take a moment to appreciate that for once we don't have the shittest elected Prime Minister in the world (for now), Australia has taken that crown

https://twitter.com/BOM_au/status/1213399606706479104

It's turning summer early-afternoons to this

https://twitter.com/MimiRoseBecker/status/1213300977509384193

The Aussie fires are of an unimaginable scale, and their PM churns out this tripe

https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1213330419044638722

Aussies aren't having it

https://twitter.com/DesignedToFade/status/1213383929614368768

https://twitter.com/matttburke/status/1213398916890185728

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1213416417682501634?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:laugh:

People in the town I work in seem to have a tacit agreement with the shopping centre where trolleys are concerned. Every few houses in the hinterland of the shopping centre you see one parked in the front garden.

Nettle Soup posted:

Used to do that when we lived across the road from the supermarket. Every now and again somebody would go round the gardens and collect them back up.

I feel like there should have been an Oasis song about this.

You wouldn't want to do that in the town where I work though :/