Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Made a confessor in the NA campaign world on Team Chaos. Slowly gonna start putting some gear together but don’t know how much time I can devote to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Captured some forts with some randos and set up skill training. Didn't get a chance to sit down and craft anything before the fort I was in got steamrolled back over. Seems alright for a low investment PvP MMO so far.

Really excited for the shorter term Campaigns meaning I can play for a week and then ignore the game for an arbitrary amount of time and not "fall behind forever".

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a gameplay loop now or still just random stuff glued together?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Our ears are ringing

There's a pretty solid "get resources, craft, take and defend forts" loop going on. Not sure what else you'd mean, it's not like a full MMO nor is it planned to be.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Eh you know in general even open world stuff like this has a loop of some kind ( From your first sentence it looks like that is in), but Crowfall especially planned to have kind of a loop because of different worlds and seasons or something?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Eh you know in general even open world stuff like this has a loop of some kind ( From your first sentence it looks like that is in), but Crowfall especially planned to have kind of a loop because of different worlds and seasons or something?

Yeah, the game is organized into campaigns. The plan is that the winning group gets a cosmetic (this is in for official campaigns- there tend to be unofficial campaigns with no reward as the first campaign after a release). Also, you are limited in what resources you can remove from the campaign world, with your faction's placement deciding how many items you can take out and back to your Eternal Kingdom (these limits are not in). Items can be used to expand & build on your kingdom, and you can also take a limited number of things into the next campaign world from the EK.

Campaigns are lasting currently I think like 20 days? And then when it's over the next one starts. The campaign is split into 4 parts- spring, summer, fall, and winter. Spring and summer give way more resources, fall and winter give way more victory points. So the idea is some light squabbling, harvesting, crafting in spring and summer- preparing for both the second half of the campaign and also getting the junk you want to take with you at the end. Then fall and winter are heavy fighting.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
5.90 is running on LIVE now, it seems to have some bugs still (EK's in particular sound entirely hosed up) but should be largely what the next trial's going to look like. It seems like they turned off import/export embargos for now, not sure if that's going to remain in place once the trials start back up but there it is. If you intend to play during the next trial, be sure to log in & get your passive skills running.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I actually happened to just download LIVE yesterday and saw it was 5.9. I ran around for like an hour and it seems like more of a game now but I have no idea what I am doing or supposed to be doing.

You used to be able to craft basic armor but that looks like it is gone?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You can still do that, just not on your person. There are basic crafting tables in your faction temple that let you craft basics. I forget where crafting skills are at, but the last time I played, anyone with a crafting discipline could craft intermediates at the specialized tables, and then if you invested in passive skills and had the discipline, you could craft advanced at the specialized tables.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is there still an active Goon group here, or is the game dead?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is the game even out yet

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
games dead, so what

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Saw you could get a free mug to hang from your belt if you play for 4 or more hours the next couple days.

A mug
To hang from your belt
:wtc:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It was the style at the time.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

what? I can't find this. source please I love mugs

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

is the game even out yet

No

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Drakkus posted:

what? I can't find this. source please I love mugs

I should have specified: it is a mug to hang from your character’s belt. Not your physical realm size 44 belt.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Hasselblad posted:

I should have specified: it is a mug to hang from your character’s belt. Not your physical realm size 44 belt.

Cosmetics are the true endgame of every mmo

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is my money stolen?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You'd think at least one of these "new MMO made by former MMO devs" would make it to release, but only Shroud did and it's not really an MMO and it clearly sucks rear end.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BadLlama posted:

Is my money stolen?

Cant' be, they have a twitch channel. https://www.twitch.tv/crowfallgame

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Wasn't there like a recent major update?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
A few weeks ago, I decided to really wade into the game. I leveled a couple of heroes to level 30 and then played some PvP. The leveling mechanisms are pretty good although some classes are clearly stronger than others, with the cleric class in particular being really poor when I played. It didn't feel like the devs know what they want some of the classes to be. I don't really know much about the higher tier vessels although it seems like they're very valuable. Also, it was clear to me how unbalanced some of the characters could be in PvP when I went to assault a big fort for a big fight. The imbalance of power of ranged vs. melee made attacking much, much harder and we got stomped. It was also basically a slideshow at different points which was kind of annoying for a new-ish game with about 100-120 players in the same area.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

This would be fun if it ran at more than 20fps.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

A few weeks ago, I decided to really wade into the game. I leveled a couple of heroes to level 30 and then played some PvP. The leveling mechanisms are pretty good although some classes are clearly stronger than others, with the cleric class in particular being really poor when I played. It didn't feel like the devs know what they want some of the classes to be. I don't really know much about the higher tier vessels although it seems like they're very valuable. Also, it was clear to me how unbalanced some of the characters could be in PvP when I went to assault a big fort for a big fight. The imbalance of power of ranged vs. melee made attacking much, much harder and we got stomped. It was also basically a slideshow at different points which was kind of annoying for a new-ish game with about 100-120 players in the same area.

I mean... at least it sounds like theres an actual game there. Not a very good one, but hey.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I watched a stream last night for 20 minutes. It reminded me of Shadowbane Beta, but it's got a long long way to go. No minimap either.

Migertantix
Jul 15, 2003

https://www.pcgamer.com/unconventional-fantasy-mmo-crowfall-gets-a-funding-boost-as-it-nears-release/

2020 release?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

daslog posted:

I watched a stream last night for 20 minutes. It reminded me of Shadowbane Beta, but it's got a long long way to go. No minimap either.

Hey slog, nice to see you're still alive.

I can't believe that there's no minimap, that genuinely will stop me wanting to play. Though it's been so long that I can't quite believe it's still in development.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I played it a bit a while ago and I didn't even remember/notice the lack of minimap. The world was rather flat other than some canyons and therefore too easy to navigate to require a minimap imo.

They have just deployed a long awaited big update (although the servers are now in maintenance again until later today).

There's a bunch of good ideas in this game and if they fixed assassins being super gimped I can see myself possibly enjoying it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Apparently they just had a big update and rolled out "The War of the Gods"
I haven't been keeping tabs on this game since the initial kickstarter; anyone playing it right now? Opinions? Are we Shadowbane yet?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Apparently they just had a big update and rolled out "The War of the Gods"
I haven't been keeping tabs on this game since the initial kickstarter; anyone playing it right now? Opinions? Are we Shadowbane yet?

I tried to log in a week or so ago and could not get beyond login and character creation

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I played it for about half an hour a couple days ago. It’s alright I guess. I was more mad about classes being racelocked than anything else. If I want to choose a duelist I don’t want to be forced to be Punxsutawney Phil.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

jabro posted:

I played it for about half an hour a couple days ago. It’s alright I guess. I was more mad about classes being racelocked than anything else. If I want to choose a duelist I don’t want to be forced to be Punxsutawney Phil.

Whatever the system, players are going to min max it such that there will be only one "viable" race per class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aracroix healer channeler you say?!?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hasselblad posted:

Whatever the system, players are going to min max it such that there will be only one "viable" race per class.

I know what you’re saying but I don’t care about min-maxing. I care about not being a stupid rear end groundhog.

Also, there are no racials in this game as far I could tell.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~
5.110, which is the next large milestone is currently on the 'test' server. I think they're still phase 1 (war of the gods / 3 faction pvp), with phase 2 being the first iteration of dregs we get to see (guild v guild / city building / etc).

Performance and gameplay is a fair bit better with this new patch, and there are tons of interface changes too.

Different races do have different passive abilities. The duelist I think is the last holdout of classes that have to be one specific race. (there didn't even used to be races, you'd just pick an archetype and it would be a race + class combination) I know there are lore reasons duelists are hamster only (guns, basically), so I'm not sure if they'll ever open that one up.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I would love to be able to try this out and see if It's as fun as it looks without first having to spend 50 bucks. :v

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

a!n posted:

I would love to be able to try this out and see if It's as fun as it looks without first having to spend 50 bucks. :v

same... I'd settle for even watching solid streamer play, but unfortunately it doesn't look like this game has much of a public following at all....

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Mjolnerd posted:

same... I'd settle for even watching solid streamer play, but unfortunately it doesn't look like this game has much of a public following at all....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRyrYBbBjJc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Pretty much nails my limited experience in game.