Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Arm trap cloverleaf liontamer :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Personally enjoying this TJPWxPSP crossover event rather a lot.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That show was fun as hell. I liked every match on the card.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My expectations were super high for Yuka vs. Miyu and I was worried I'd get too hype and wind up disappointed, but nope, that ruled. Hard time picking a favorite! Maybe Natsumi vs. Sareee because of the emotions and the rare chance to see Sareee in TJPW, but I was very slightly held back because every time Natsumi sold I was worried she was hurt again.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Speaking of Sareee, she is WWE bound apparently. Announced she is US bound earlier today.

https://twitter.com/stardommania178/status/1213412723335127040?s=19

She doesn't explicitly say WWE, but they have been courting her for a pretty long time (at least since 2017, maybe even longer), and she personally met with Triple H a couple of times over the past year or two. That, combined with Chono saying that he gave her permission to use the STF in WWE, and Inoki saying she was going to be wrestling on a massive stage makes me feel like she is NXT bound.

Which sucks since I dunno how well she will do there, and she probably has a glass ceiling in place with Io there. She's gonna get fed to Rhea or Shayna most likely as well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's balls because Sareee was one of the best wrestlers in the world last year from what I saw of her but also felt inevitable for at least 4 months.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tokyo wrestling shop owner told me she’s going to nxt, too

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the most talented womens roster and would you say they're currently #2 in the west in terms of intrigue? #3?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

tokyo wrestling shop owner told me she’s going to nxt, too

Did you ask him the Hazuki story because you should

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i had not really asked him anything he was just very friendly and started disclosing stuff but drat now i wanna go back

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Meltzer saying Bushiroad is going to crack open the chequebook to try and bring Io and Kairi home.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Good.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Two of the three billed wrestlers were dudes but the promotion has "joshi" in the name so it goes here. If you were in Tokyo last night but didn't go to Gake no Fuchi Joshi with Miyako Matsumoto vs. Chris Brookes and Drew Parker, you made a mistake

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Johnny Landmine posted:

Two of the three billed wrestlers were dudes but the promotion has "joshi" in the name so it goes here. If you were in Tokyo last night but didn't go to Gake no Fuchi Joshi with Miyako Matsumoto vs. Chris Brookes and Drew Parker, you made a mistake

I just saw a photo of Brookes throwing a dart at someones back and yeah, wrestling.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Meltzer saying Bushiroad is going to crack open the chequebook to try and bring Io and Kairi home.

Hopefully this ends up with both of them getting a lot more money regardless of what happens

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'd hope Kairi would go to AEW but I hope she's happy with wherever she goes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i certainly dont think they intend on exporting stardom to the degree they intend to export njpw so again a bushiroad/aew relationship would work great for both sides

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/aaronlikethecar/status/1213687029826899969
https://twitter.com/aaronlikethecar/status/1213693535641206784

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I mean he also said that a couple of months ago as well, when Kidani said they really wanted Kairi and Io back.

Its going to be a bidding war between Bushiroad and WWE when it comes down to it. There are a couple of factors that work in Bushiroad's favor though. The schedule (WWE's main roster schedule is god awful), and in the case of Io, Dave also reported that she misses being able to see EVIL.

That being said, there is no chance Vince lets either of them go without a fight. I mean for gods sake, he gave Mike and Maria huge contracts to just sit around in catering. We are about to see the real match of the decade soon though with "Children's Card Game Money vs Saudi Blood Money".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I assume that was Syuri as she was consumed by the fiery gaze of a very rightfully angry Satomura.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder who and what was causing the loud screaming.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Sounds like Thunder Rosa beat Maki Itoh today :argh: TJPW spoiler

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That result got posted spoiler free in the WK thread of all places

e: Not saying to unspoil it, but anyone worried about spoilers for women's wrestling don't go into the WK thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TTBF posted:

That result got posted spoiler free in the WK thread of all places

e: Not saying to unspoil it, but anyone worried about spoilers for women's wrestling don't go into the WK thread
Well, we're well past it right now, but it still sucked that it got posted like that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder who and what was causing the loud screaming.

talked to aaron in japan and he said it wasn’t even like an argument or shouting it was just like very loud guttural screaming, which is perhaps more unsettling

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think I must have seen you at the TJPW show. Were you next to the guy in the dSa shirt?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yea trying to keep him in his seat lol

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It'll be interesting to see down the road if the timing of the Bushiroad purchase, and the Kairi injury leads to a change in the direction of talent in women's wrestling.

WWE has all the money and exopsure and they had momentum for a few years. But day to day life matters. Tessa's next move is going to be very interesting too.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

the guy in the dSa shirt?

lol that he's still repping DSA in Japan

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well i’m seated next to kagetsu, hazuki, natsuko and nao yamaguchi at a restaurant in tokyo disney rn. hazuki cut her hair real short

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Super No Vacancy posted:

well i’m seated next to kagetsu, hazuki, natsuko and nao yamaguchi at a restaurant in tokyo disney rn. hazuki cut her hair real short

Can't believe SA has better joshi sources than Dave Meltzer

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the pizza was delicious

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/0929_hazuki/status/1214536453243334656?s=19

Is that you in the background of the pizza photo?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no but that was our table, they had finished eating by the time we sat down. then kagetsu spotted my friend’s momo hoodie which he realized he had on too late. that made her laugh and then hazuki and natsuko brazenly turned around to look which made me laugh. when they left a little later they smiled and waved so that was nice

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Marvelous are running Korakuen Hall again on May 10th. Sounds like they may be pushing to grow more under Iroha than they did under Chig

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Should I sub to stardom? Is there a better women's fed to sub to instead?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's going to be really subjective, but Stardom is great. No other joshi promotion I know of goes to the lengths (such as translating promos and sometimes in-ring stuff into English) to help new English fans keep up with stuff.

Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling is also good women's wrestling. You stream it using DDT's service and it gets you the other promotions on it (such as DDT) at no extra charge. Their streaming service is also better than Stardom's.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

In terms of work rate, STARDOM’s about as good as it gets. Personally speaking though, I kinda prefer TJPW (Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling). While the wrestling itself isn’t quite as good as STARDOM’s, I just find myself having more fun watching the shows overall, and there are quite a few very good wrestlers on the roster (including past/future AEW superstar Yuka Sakazaki, the person in this thread’s very banner). Their service is on DDT Universe, so subbing to that will get you all the DDT show in addition to TJPW’s shows. The biggest barrier of entry is that it’s all in Japanese with no subtitles, so you’d have to go to Twitter for translations, should you go this route.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Should I sub to stardom? Is there a better women's fed to sub to instead?

There are better women's feds to sub to but Stardom is easily the most accessible to not feeling lost as a beginner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'd agree with that: Stardom aren't my favourite company despite having my favourite wrestler but I'd also recommend them as the first company anyone should watch to everyone that isn't the sort of weird puro guy that already goes out of their way to watch niche stuff. You have the subtitles that help explain the stories and the characters; its not booked in a complicated way anyway which helps and while the in ring style isn't my favourite its consistent and an easy style to get into. Its sort of like New Japan in that way: I'd not say that its my favourite promotion but its the one I always recommend to people since its a good first Japanese promotion.

In terms of how to start: I'd say watch whatever the next show is and carry on from there. The Stardom schedule is fairly consistent and they don't really have a singular annual major show but instead a monthly Korakuen Hall show that's notable, other secondary big shows scattered throughout the year and a schedule of house shows in Shinkiba 1st Ring, smaller Osaka buildings etc that sometimes have a notable match and are always fun but which aren't necessarily essential. The last big Stardom show was the 12/24 Korakuen Hall show and that's a good show to watch if you want a representative sample of what a good Stardom big show is.

Other companies are good but tricker to get into because the lack of those subtitles makes it harder to fully understand characters and the like but its not impossible - but not something that I'd recommend people do only they know that they might get enjoyment from it. Of the other promotions TJPW is probably the next easiest because the DDT English Update guy also live translates them but that still involves trying to find old twitter threads to get the most out of the shows which is a lot of work to do for something you might not like. They do fun shows though: their 1/4 Korakuen Hall show was great. Everyone else is worth waiting on seeing if watching Stardom makes you think that its worth exploring the wider scene more I'd say, even though those are the companies that I prefer.