Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Goons with Spoons: Now we're Cooking with Fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The visibility of this thread is actually important. How about a move back to GBS?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They're currently sending all of the trucks they can muster from the mountains down to Wingello in the Southern Highlands to help out with the poo poo that's unfolding down there.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

yoloer420 posted:

The visibility of this thread is actually important. How about a move back to GBS?

LK will be providing us with a sticky while I negotiate with mods of CSPAM or other forums to house the thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh geez listening to those scanners.....

gently caress

"We are trapped, ten cars and two trucks and going into protection mode"

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 4, 2020

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
gently caress 2 trucks and 10 cars trapped, moved into protection mode.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
"possible looters in town, on foot and on quad bikes"
loving stop it you ankles

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Quantum Shart posted:

"possible looters in town, on foot and on quad bikes"
loving stop it you ankles

what scanner you listening to? is it online?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slugnoid posted:

what scanner you listening to? is it online?

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/5578

Online, scary as hell

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
cheers

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So a particularly :derp: question that's been preying on my mind for much of the week: how much of a danger is there of the fire continuing to spread to the degree that it affects a major city? I understand the biggest fires are currently burning somewhere between Bairnsdale and the Cann River (and thank you to Gridlocked for providing that info, because a lot of the US and British media aren't even providing information that in-depth) and I imagine that the fires just straight out blazing into even Bairnsdale would be hosed™, but it's only about sixty km as the bus drives between Bairnsdale and Melbourne. Is there believed to be any danger of the fire spreading west past Bairnsdale and threatening the increasingly-populated areas east of Melbourne, or even Melbourne itself? I haven't seen much information about how the fire breaks are working to prevent the spread of the fires westward, or even how feasible that is regardless.

I'm sorry if this question increases anxiety or is insensitive, but it's just something I've been worried about for a week now (and the extremely cynical part of me suspects that it's going to take the fires hitting an actual town or city for the international media to even begin to care about covering the disaster). Aussie goons, please stay safe.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1213436548869287936

Ankles is trying to get himself out of this mess.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

SpaceDrake posted:

So a particularly :derp: question that's been preying on my mind for much of the week: how much of a danger is there of the fire continuing to spread to the degree that it affects a major city?

The fires are affecting cities. Canberra had the worst air quality in the world, which killed someone with respiratory distress.

I myself have to stay in one room of the house as my aircon can filter the worst of it. Though after a few days of smoke I’ve had to go to hospital because of asthma.

Though this is nowhere as bad as those directly affected by fires. It is making things difficult for some of us.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Actually it's normal and good that I leveraged this tragedy for self promotion you see.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

SpaceDrake posted:

So a particularly :derp: question that's been preying on my mind for much of the week: how much of a danger is there of the fire continuing to spread to the degree that it affects a major city? I understand the biggest fires are currently burning somewhere between Bairnsdale and the Cann River (and thank you to Gridlocked for providing that info, because a lot of the US and British media aren't even providing information that in-depth) and I imagine that the fires just straight out blazing into even Bairnsdale would be hosed™, but it's only about sixty km as the bus drives between Bairnsdale and Melbourne. Is there believed to be any danger of the fire spreading west past Bairnsdale and threatening the increasingly-populated areas east of Melbourne, or even Melbourne itself? I haven't seen much information about how the fire breaks are working to prevent the spread of the fires westward, or even how feasible that is regardless.

I'm sorry if this question increases anxiety or is insensitive, but it's just something I've been worried about for a week now (and the extremely cynical part of me suspects that it's going to take the fires hitting an actual town or city for the international media to even begin to care about covering the disaster). Aussie goons, please stay safe.

Bairnsdale's about 230km from melbourne as the crow flies. Probably the only way the gippsland fires could affect Melbourne would be if it took out the gas plant at longford or the power stations at morwell but the fires are still quite far away from there.

Mind you we had a small bushfire in a nature reserve in one of Melbourne's suburbs the other week which took out a handful of houses.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Slugnoid posted:

Mind you we had a small bushfire in a nature reserve in one of Melbourne's suburbs the other week which took out a handful of houses.

The fire in Bundoora burnt some fences and front yards, but no houses were lost AFAIK.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/WarWraith/status/1213432681435787264

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if the fires to south meet with the ones closer to Sydney before going through the Royal National Park to hit Sydney proper.

I’m thinking after the poo poo settles I’ll probably join the rfs because I’d rather be doing something proactive than sitting on the sidelines.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's some photos from someone who was evacuated from Mallacoota on the naval ship HMAS Choules:
https://www.facebook.com/joanne.oneill.750/posts/2992403004105578

poo poo. The fires haven't been that close to Cooma but they're surrounded by a whole bunch of them and the smoke has been horrific today:
https://twitter.com/holly_corb/status/1213334092403494912

A flood on top of that is really the icing on the cake. :thumbsup:

Edit: Cooma's in the centre of this map:

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 4, 2020

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

bell jar posted:

sorry about your great aunt i'm sure she's lovely

yeah she's nice. her daughter and three grandkids were there trying to get the old man to leave and pulling their hair out before they were able to get the firies to back them up. only found out about it today which is good because i would have been making GBS threads myself otherwise considering how close it was.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Gridlocked posted:

I asked for the thread to become a traveling thread to attract more goons to click, look and see the hell which we face. :sun: Exposure and spreading the message is what will help the fight against this crisis and many goons who will be interested may not visit GBS. So we go to them.

I'm glad I found this again, I thought it had been deleted for some reason.

I think a sticky in the other forums linking to this thread (which would remain in GBS or wherever) would be more effective at just shuffling it around, as a lot of people will just stop viewing it when it disappears from where they thought it was.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if the fires to south meet with the ones closer to Sydney before going through the Royal National Park to hit Sydney proper.
Here's a visual aid of the situation:

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

That big chunk of burnt out land at the top is over 600,000 hectares, the smaller bit further down south is over 300,000 hectarers.

The population of the Greater Sydney area between those two big fires is about 4.8 million people.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 4, 2020

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The population of the Greater Sydney area between those two big fires is about 4.8 million people.

Hmmm... well that's all just more then a bit terrifying.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Don’t forget the fire further to the south that is on its way to meet the “South Fire” in your image. Given how these things have been moving of late it doesn’t take a whole lot.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Stay safe Aussie goons. Watching this with horror, and donated what I can.

The scale of this is mindblowing, the future is truly going to be scary.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This all looks horrific. Donated $25 each to the NSW Fire Service and Red Cross as linked in the OP, hopefully that covers the cost of buying that other Canadian jackass the custom title. Someone must've left the gate open and he got out, sorry about that.

Stay safe, everyone!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The southerly change finally hit where I live but with it came both the smoke and also the fine ash which is the only kind of “rain” that we get these days.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Don’t forget the fire further to the south that is on its way to meet the “South Fire” in your image. Given how these things have been moving of late it doesn’t take a whole lot.

Oh yeah, if we zoom out a little you can see that there's MASSIVE fires all along the NSW coast:

The distance from the top of the northernmost one to the bottom of the southernmost one in that pictures is about 500 km (310 miles), and there's more big fires further north around Port Macquarie and Grafton and down south near Eden right down into Victoria. poo poo's real hosed.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 4, 2020

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

The scale of this is mindblowing, the future is truly going to be scary.

That's about a 600km stretch on fire from Victoria to NSW. But don't worry about it. Climate change is a hoax.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gridlocked posted:

I laughed mega hard but that's 10bux the cities or Red Cross could have had.

it should have been but on the other hand so should all the revenue not taxed on coal companies

might even have been more than 10 bux

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm living in NW Sydney and I have asthma. These last few weeks have been pretty miserable but it's escalated to the point where I've started just passing out. I'll get really exhausted and then become aware again some time later, having apparently passed out. Sometimes right away, effectively a little micro-sleep if I start falling or hit something, and sometimes I'll wake up a couple hours later. It's a little scary. Any time I feel tired I just go straight to bed so I don't hurt myself falling.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

munce posted:

That's about a 600km stretch on fire from Victoria to NSW. But don't worry about it. Climate change is a hoax.
It's invented by China to control trade prices iirc.

I work in the environmental services, so tend to a bit echo-chambered with people in the know. But then I turn on the tv and there is someone saying that this poo poo is 'normal'

Jesus, how do you get to be so loving ill-informed.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

Phigs posted:

I'm living in NW Sydney and I have asthma. These last few weeks have been pretty miserable but it's escalated to the point where I've started just passing out. I'll get really exhausted and then become aware again some time later, having apparently passed out. Sometimes right away, effectively a little micro-sleep if I start falling or hit something, and sometimes I'll wake up a couple hours later. It's a little scary. Any time I feel tired I just go straight to bed so I don't hurt myself falling.

Can you go to a hospital. These are really bad symptoms to be having.

You are falling into respiratory distress. Which can be fatal.

So go to a hospital right away.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Well I loving love the RFS.

My sister's town on the Southern Highlands NSW would be burnt to the ground if not for them. Absolute legends.

Now it's 2AM and I can stop stressing and sleep.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

I work in the environmental services, so tend to a bit echo-chambered with people in the know. But then I turn on the tv and there is someone saying that this poo poo is 'normal'

Jesus, how do you get to be so loving ill-informed.

A guy at work summed up the attitude perfectly: "You're an environmentalist. No one gives a gently caress what you think."
There really is no getting through to people like that. Facts don't matter. And there's a whole lot of them here including the prime minister.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mozi posted:

I'm glad I found this again, I thought it had been deleted for some reason.

I think a sticky in the other forums linking to this thread (which would remain in GBS or wherever) would be more effective at just shuffling it around, as a lot of people will just stop viewing it when it disappears from where they thought it was.

I will take this to the mods and see what they think.

The moving thread was my idea and they very kindly accommodated my insane plans.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Phigs posted:

Go to a hospital pronto

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I got a laugh from a thing posted to a fb group for knitting and sewing stuff to help hosed up and displaced animals, just bc of only a moderate need for kitten onesies, understandably high need for other native stuff rn, but if you have been making KOALA MITTENS it’s ok, they have enough of those, just keep them at home for now thanks 🙏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I got a laugh from a thing posted to a fb group for knitting and sewing stuff to help hosed up and displaced animals, just bc of only a moderate need for kitten onesies, understandably high need for other native stuff rn, but if you have been making KOALA MITTENS it’s ok, they have enough of those, just keep them at home for now thanks 🙏

Have you got a link to that group? I like knitting and I might as well do something useful with it.